Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Advice Please re Custom SAK

Offline Every_Cloud

Advice Please re Custom SAK
on: March 13, 2024, 11:50:42 PM
Are the custom SAK worth less or more or does it depend on the design as to value?  These are my late husbands SAK, all in unused condition.  As shown in the photos?  What do you think I should price them at?  Any help appreciated.

https://www.reddit.com/r/victorinox/comments/1be4oy1/custom_victorinox_help_please_on_value/?utm_source=share&utm_medium=web3x&utm_name=web3xcss&utm_term=1&utm_content=share_button

« Last Edit: March 14, 2024, 10:43:32 AM by Huntsman »

us Online IMR4198

• No Life Club
Re: Advice Please re Custom SAK
Reply #1 on: March 14, 2024, 12:42:43 AM
     Usually men are friends with other men who share the same interests.  I bet some of your late husband's friends would be willing to help out with the sales.  You might get a decent price, you might get swindled.  Depends on who you talk with. 
      Most of the members here are from the US.  We don't know where you live.  We don't know what knives would bring there.  We don't know what the current knife laws are and what they are going to shortly become.  I doubt you could profitably ship anything to here. 
      The people and shops where your husband acquired his knives could have a suggestion.  Again there is some risk.  Depending on the people. 
       Most here have wives who will be faced with the same dilemma that you have now.  A cabinet full of stuff (maybe a house full) that has cost considerable money through the years.  All of that has been left behind for someone to try to liquidate.  It usually doesn't end well.  If it were here, I would probably advise that the whole collection be put up for auction. 
       I tried to follow your link and couldn't find anything.  Just out of curiosity, since I couldn't buy anything to begin with.  I think most of us know that when we die, our things will likely go out the door for about 10% of what we paid. 
       Ask husband's friends.  Ask knife dealers.  Not pawn shops.  Find out about auction possibilities.  I am assuming that your husband left several hundred knives.  If he only had 25 or 50, then you might just want to put them in a drawer and forget about them.   Best wishes.  G

Offline GrouchoM

Reply #2 on: March 14, 2024, 07:07:23 AM
https://www.reddit.com/r/victorinox/comments/1be4oy1/custom_victorinox_help_please_on_value/?utm_name=web3xcss

Those look like three standard SAKs with very nice custom scales.  Without someone trustworthy to check how flawless they are, it's hard for anyone to put a price on them. If you can find a local collector, you'd be best off.  Otherwise, you might be best off finding a member here or on Reddit that you trust and have them sell it using their connections.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

au Offline Huntsman

• Global Moderator
  • No Life Club
Reply #3 on: March 14, 2024, 10:43:00 AM
Hope it's OK I fixed the link in your OP above - Thanks Groucho too
Although I only saw one SAK.

Custom scaled models will always cost more than regular models - As you are paying for the custom
And even the Victorinox non red scaled models are more expensive

As always problem is:
Does someone want that specific custom on the 2nd hand market - So second had, depending on the handles could be worth a little more  - But at least the same

These ones look like they came from swisstool.co.uk
Who used to do some really great custom scales - But don't seem to anymore - Which is a shame

..... Most of the members here are from the US......   

Not sure I agree with that IMR - Yes we have a lot of reasonably active US members
But we also have active members in Belgium, Netherlands, UK, Germany, China, Finland ........ and of course Switzerland - not to mention Australia and NZ
Moderators are from Canada, UK, Ireland, Indonesia, Australia and NZ - and yes a couple from the US! 

us Offline nate j

• No Life Club
Reply #4 on: March 15, 2024, 04:16:48 AM
As others have noted, it is very difficult to accurately assess value of rare or unique customs, and a lot of it depends on who knows you’re selling the item and how much they want it.  Condition is a major factor as well, but from what you’ve told us, it sounds like these are all in mint, never used, never carried condition.  It also depends on what your timeframe is, i.e. do you want to sell them quickly for whatever you can get, or do you want to try to get top dollar, even if that means spending months or a year trying to sell them?

Based on the article linked below, I would suspect your late husband bought the SAKtory knife roughly ten years ago for £40 or £50.  What is it worth today?  Well, it is fairly rare, in the sense that a relatively small number were made and they won’t be making any more.  However, (contrary to what some ebay sellers seem to think) this does not automatically make it worth a bajillion dollars.  But, it should bring a meaningful premium over and above what the stock model would cost.

https://thenextweb.com/news/gorgeous-swiss-army-knife-saktory-gives-old-tool-fresh-visual-spina-gorgeous-swiss-army-knife-saktory-gives-old-tool-new-look

P.S. It is really a shame that knives can’t be sold on UK ebay.  That would have made the process much easier for you.

gb Offline SurgeUk

• Global Moderator
  • Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #5 on: March 15, 2024, 03:01:59 PM
As others have noted, it is very difficult to accurately assess value of rare or unique customs, and a lot of it depends on who knows you’re selling the item and how much they want it.  Condition is a major factor as well, but from what you’ve told us, it sounds like these are all in mint, never used, never carried condition.  It also depends on what your timeframe is, i.e. do you want to sell them quickly for whatever you can get, or do you want to try to get top dollar, even if that means spending months or a year trying to sell them?

Based on the article linked below, I would suspect your late husband bought the SAKtory knife roughly ten years ago for £40 or £50.  What is it worth today?  Well, it is fairly rare, in the sense that a relatively small number were made and they won’t be making any more.  However, (contrary to what some ebay sellers seem to think) this does not automatically make it worth a bajillion dollars.  But, it should bring a meaningful premium over and above what the stock model would cost.

https://thenextweb.com/news/gorgeous-swiss-army-knife-saktory-gives-old-tool-fresh-visual-spina-gorgeous-swiss-army-knife-saktory-gives-old-tool-new-look

P.S. It is really a shame that knives can’t be sold on UK ebay.  That would have made the process much easier for you.

Am I to assume that you are UK based @Every_Cloud ? (or did I read that wrong  :think:  :dunno:)

I'm in the UK and can offer some help with UK laws (and some pricing) etc.

PM me if you don't want to discuss anything openly  :tu:
« Last Edit: March 15, 2024, 04:15:49 PM by SurgeUk »
They don't like it up 'em!

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62
Net Balance: $360.24