Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

84mm SAK love

Aloxfan · 1123 · 114602

us Offline Faddy Daddy

Re: 84mm SAK love
Reply #600 on: July 27, 2017, 02:13:00 AM
For those of you who EDC the Tourist, how do you handle the lack of scissors? 

Carry a Classic or similar?

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk

I carry the small tinker/tourist 90% of the time these days, and i've always carried a alox classic sd on my keys. I carry the classic not only for the scissors but also for the nail file, as i like to keep it separate from my main sak use. Since i'm not really a very die hard fan of the scissors or think they are so irreplaceable that a good blade can't do at least 90% of it's job, the size of the classic scissors is enough for nearly all my regular edc tasks.

I do occasionally carry 91mm's, with scissors, but not that often these days. I've decided the 91's are just too big and bulky for most of my edc needs and pocket size carry. Why should i carry a Spartan or Tinker if i have the exact same sak in a shorter, more pocket friendly package that suits most of my needs?
84mm is my perfect sak size, i'll endure the lack of scissors in the current models with the help of my classic.

If Vic ever brings back the 84mm scissors models i'll be the first in line to buy them (all...  :D)
 :cheers:

Boy you guys all make my head spin  :D

I guess as it's always been and probably always will there's just no perfect edc. I agree though MacGyver, the 84mm size certainly is nice. I kind of like the looks of the small tinker tourist, (I much prefer the corkscrew to the phillips on the back of SAKs) but ... I'd prefer the hook to the awl (though I do like the awl and have used them before).
I will say, after getting my compact yesterday I'm starting to become a fan of the multi tool for the bottle and can opener. I just don't come across many capped bottles these days nor do I often need to open a tin can away from my kitchen. I did however get accustomed to carrying scissors back when I only carried my LM Micra. I never thought it could be possible but I do like the actual cutting ability of the 91mm SAK scissors, (though the bigger grips on the micra allows you to power through more stuff). I just find the classic scissors so so tiny but maybe they are enough.
So, yeah, maybe I am agreeing about having 84mm scissors, ha ha  :gimme:

EDIT: I meant to say I like the looks of the tourist, with the corkscrew rather than the phillips
« Last Edit: July 27, 2017, 02:31:27 AM by Faddy Daddy »

us Offline strmliner

• No Life Club
Reply #601 on: July 27, 2017, 02:15:00 AM
For those of you who EDC the Tourist, how do you handle the lack of scissors? 

Carry a Classic or similar?

The Tourist was my first Swiss knife. At the time, I owned a Swisstool CS Plus, and relied upon that for the scissors. It didn't work out, and every Swiss knife I have bought since then has had scissors or been mod fodder.

I still own that Tourist, but it rarely gets carried. Why should I, when there are so many models that have scissors on board? I don't see the point of having to carry a second knife to make up for the shortsightedness in pocketing the first one which has an incomplete tool set. That makes no sense. Occasionally I will pair it with a pliers tool with scissors, but even then, it still tends to lose out on duty time to knives that have them.

Well said 50ft-trad. I am in complete agreement on the necessity of scissors.

Edited:
+1 to scissors...though I have no use for the Tourist model...never worked for me.   :drink:
« Last Edit: July 27, 2017, 04:30:03 AM by strmliner »
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they go."    -Will Rogers

us Offline Faddy Daddy

Reply #602 on: July 27, 2017, 03:39:19 AM
So I was just looking over Victorinox web site again and wondering what is the difference between the Sportsman and the evolotuion 10? I know the evo 10 probably has some design layovers from Wenger but it sure seems like a big degree of overlap to me.
Well, besides to sculptured scales and 1mm difference in length.

us Offline strmliner

• No Life Club
Reply #603 on: July 27, 2017, 04:28:05 AM
So I was just looking over Victorinox web site again and wondering what is the difference between the Sportsman and the evolotuion 10? I know the evo 10 probably has some design layovers from Wenger but it sure seems like a big degree of overlap to me.

Now there isn't much difference (yes, 1mm larger overall; the scissor design is Wenger, not Vic; and scales are "sculptured") between the old Vic 84mm line vs the current Delemont 85mm line. It's been my belief that the Vic 84mm line will eventually disappear to eliminate the overlap you discuss. I'd be okay with this change as long as they also supply flat scales as replacements for the 85mm line.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2017, 04:30:39 AM by strmliner »
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they go."    -Will Rogers

us Offline Faddy Daddy

Reply #604 on: July 27, 2017, 05:36:55 AM

Now there isn't much difference (yes, 1mm larger overall; the scissor design is Wenger, not Vic; and scales are "sculptured") between the old Vic 84mm line vs the current Delemont 85mm line. It's been my belief that the Vic 84mm line will eventually disappear to eliminate the overlap you discuss. I'd be okay with this change as long as they also supply flat scales as replacements for the 85mm line.

Yep, flat scales would be nice. I wonder though as they do already have 3 different versions of the scales, (and all are sculptured).
I will say I got my evo wood 14 yesterday and am really happy with the tool set so far. I haven't edc'd it yet, (maybe tomorrow), and haven't given the scissors much of a try but size wise they look okay. I THINK I will like the nail file instead of the small blade but not sure about that yet. On my 91's I do enjoy using the small blade for box opening. Oh, and might miss the tooth pick and tweasers but it's really nice.
So far my 3 favorites (not in any order) are the evo wood 14, the compact and the climber.

pt Offline MacGyver

• No Life Club
Reply #605 on: July 27, 2017, 09:53:26 AM

Well... This goes to show that everybody has different tastes, needs and preferences.
I wouldn't trade the 84mm for the 85mm Evo series in a million years. While the Evo series is good, and I actually have an Evo s16, I really don't edc it much. I much prefer vic's design, flat scales, small blade, scissors, bottle opener.
I would gladly trade, today, the return of the small climber, salesman and golfer with the entire 85mm evo series. Not to mention the considerable difference in cost between equivalent models on both lines....  :pok:
« Last Edit: July 27, 2017, 09:56:43 AM by MacGyver »
"Another Day...; a whole n'other set of fresh possibilities..." - MacGyver (S1E19 - "Slow Death")

us Offline this_is_nascar

Reply #606 on: July 27, 2017, 12:35:11 PM
Thanks for the replies.  For me, several items are must have on whatever SAK(s) I carry.  I must have scissors, toothpick and two blades.  That's why my Executive has been my EDC since I am remember.

I got caught up in the hype of the Compact and Climber, but I'm now convinced that anything larger than the 84mm is just not for me.  Thus, my new Tourist, obviously, without scissors.

I want to start carrying the Tourist, however, I'll need to keep my Executive or my Classic or Rambler for the scissors.

"The only way to stop a bad guy with a gun is a good guy with a gun". --- Wayne LaPierre 12/21/2012

us Offline Faddy Daddy

Reply #607 on: July 27, 2017, 02:17:32 PM
Dang you this-is-nascar and MacGuyver! :twak:

Just when I thought I was pretty satisfied with my SAK collection. Now you've got me looking at that executive, what? 2 blades and a nail file? Not sure what that orange peeler is about, maybe like the magical hook in that you can find uses for it?  ;)
I do like having a bit less weight and smaller size, but curious just how much bigger an executive is compared to a classic (which is a bit to small for me as my only edc). Again, tourist has no scissors, argh... ha ha  :ahhh

us Offline Faddy Daddy

Reply #608 on: July 27, 2017, 02:25:26 PM
The Sportsman is very similar too huh? If I preferred the nail file over a second blade.
Wonder what would be ideal for 84mm and 2 layers? I'm still not convinced a bottle and can opener are needed for me, how about a sportsmen with scissors in place of them? Or small scissors and combo tool (like on the compact).
Oh no, I can see I'm slipping down the road of wishing for more, more, more!! :gimme:

Reply #609 on: July 27, 2017, 03:14:10 PM

Just when I thought I was pretty satisfied with my SAK collection. Now you've got me looking at that executive, what? 2 blades and a nail file? Not sure what that orange peeler is about, maybe like the magical hook in that you can find uses for it?  ;)
I do like having a bit less weight and smaller size, but curious just how much bigger an executive is compared to a classic (which is a bit to small for me as my only edc). Again, tourist has no scissors, argh... ha ha  :ahhh
Love my Executives.  The best nail file Victorinox makes.  The orange peeler does well opening clam shell packages.

If I could only own one, the Executive would be it.

Sorry, I don't want to take this thread off-topic.

"The only way to stop a bad guy with a gun is a good guy with a gun". --- Wayne LaPierre 12/21/2012

pt Offline MacGyver

• No Life Club
Reply #610 on: July 27, 2017, 04:21:02 PM

Sorryy....    :whistle:
The Executive is the only Sak i bought exclusively because of Macgyver i must admit...  :facepalm:
It is a great SAK, way bigger than the classic. I carried it for a while as the only Sak, but the lack of the opening layer and good drivers made me decide that it was not for me, and went back to my 84's. Gave the Executive to my wife, it's perfect for her  :salute:

If you are trying to settle on a more permanent model for regular edc you need to decide what you really need or want in a sak, and what will you be using it for most of the time. I can't get by with a sak without the opening layer and screwdrivers, as apart from cutting task's i'm a natural born tinkerer, always taking stuff apart, fixing stuff, modding,etc...
That opening layer is crucial to me, not because i need to open cans or pop a lot of bottle caps with it, i probably opened one (max. two) cans with a sak  and popped a dozen bottle caps or so in 30 years of owning and using sak's. The bottle opener is my main screwdriver/bit driver, prybar, push bar and the can opener is also a great SD, finer prybar, scraper, hook-like tool, box opener, etc...
The awl is also essential to me, as is the small blade. All of this even more than any full sized scissors. I'd rather have the 84mm/classic combo than a 91mm with scissors all the time.

As for the Sportsman, it is a great sak and i have one, but hardly use it because like i've said before i don't want to loose the small blade and i like to keep nail files and similar separate from my main Sak. And on the Sportsman the file if facing the main blade and scratches it when ever it's deployed, and i hate that....  :twak:
« Last Edit: July 27, 2017, 04:24:54 PM by MacGyver »
"Another Day...; a whole n'other set of fresh possibilities..." - MacGyver (S1E19 - "Slow Death")

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
Reply #611 on: July 27, 2017, 04:39:33 PM
To balance the discussion, I never got along with the 74mm line. I recently picked up a used Executive from the MTO store with a view to revisiting and reappraising it, and possibly putting some fance homemade scales on. Since I've got it, I'm remembering why I got rid of my Director, and wondering if it's really worth doing any work to it, as I'm not sure it'll ever get pocket time.

The 65mm line is the largest I would want on keys, the 84mm line is the smallest I would want in the pocket. The 74mm is in a nowhere land. I might possibly wear it in a waistcoat pocket at a formal event if I put some fancy scales on, but otherwise it a solution looking for a problem.

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

us Offline Faddy Daddy

Reply #612 on: July 27, 2017, 05:42:50 PM

Love my Executives.  The best nail file Victorinox makes.  The orange peeler does well opening clam shell packages.

I fear I'm the one who took this thread off topic long ago, sorry!
 :oops:
I have to ask though, the orange peeler then does have a sharp edge? It's hard to tell from photos. Opening clam shells would be a great use though a small blade also works very well for that I've found.

us Offline Faddy Daddy

Reply #613 on: July 27, 2017, 05:48:37 PM

Sorryy....    :whistle:
The Executive is the only Sak i bought exclusively because of Macgyver i must admit...  :facepalm:
It is a great SAK, way bigger than the classic. I carried it for a while as the only Sak, but the lack of the opening layer and good drivers made me decide that it was not for me, and went back to my 84's. Gave the Executive to my wife, it's perfect for her  :salute:

If you are trying to settle on a more permanent model for regular edc you need to decide what you really need or want in a sak, and what will you be using it for most of the time. I can't get by with a sak without the opening layer and screwdrivers, as apart from cutting task's i'm a natural born tinkerer, always taking stuff apart, fixing stuff, modding,etc...
That opening layer is crucial to me, not because i need to open cans or pop a lot of bottle caps with it, i probably opened one (max. two) cans with a sak  and popped a dozen bottle caps or so in 30 years of owning and using sak's. The bottle opener is my main screwdriver/bit driver, prybar, push bar and the can opener is also a great SD, finer prybar, scraper, hook-like tool, box opener, etc...
The awl is also essential to me, as is the small blade. All of this even more than any full sized scissors. I'd rather have the 84mm/classic combo than a 91mm with scissors all the time.

As for the Sportsman, it is a great sak and i have one, but hardly use it because like i've said before i don't want to loose the small blade and i like to keep nail files and similar separate from my main Sak. And on the Sportsman the file if facing the main blade and scratches it when ever it's deployed, and i hate that....  :twak:

Great input MacGyver.
I'd been trying to avoid this but I might just have to go for another few purchases just to see for myself  :whistle:
I don't think any multi tool will be perfect, especially for everyone and so the best will probably be whatever you happen to be carrying that day. But now I'm starting to get hooked trying the different ones, looking at them sitting on my counter, ha ha. Luckily it's not as expensive as a hobby as collecting say cars, or motorcycles or something!
That would be aggravating with the sportsman if it scratches the main blade, though the tool set intrigues me. Yeah, I like looking through the threads at some of the older tools, and like you say, the scissors versions of the 84mm seem like they'd be pretty nice!

pt Offline MacGyver

• No Life Club
Reply #614 on: July 27, 2017, 06:16:45 PM

I have to ask though, the orange peeler then does have a sharp edge? It's hard to tell from photos. Opening clam shells would be a great use though a small blade also works very well for that I've found.

Oh yeah, the orange peeler is bloody sharp, almost as sharp as a regular serrated blade. Sharp enough to easily draw blood in one is not careful...  :ahhh
I used to cut my cuticles on my fingers with it sometimes, and cut myself one or two times with it  :facepalm:

us Offline strmliner

• No Life Club
Reply #615 on: July 27, 2017, 07:22:14 PM

Oh yeah, the orange peeler is bloody sharp, almost as sharp as a regular serrated blade. Sharp enough to easily draw blood in one is not careful...  :ahhh
I used to cut my cuticles on my fingers with it sometimes, and cut myself one or two times with it  :facepalm:

:ahhh

That's right up there with the Cuticle Pusher found on the MiniChamp...

Reply #616 on: July 27, 2017, 08:22:42 PM
Yep, it's plenty sharp, especially at the corner.

us Offline Faddy Daddy

Reply #617 on: July 27, 2017, 11:33:14 PM
Well that makes it sound like it actually could be useful. I love the idea of opening blister packs, that would be handy if it worked well. Might have to try one of these.

us Offline mtngoat

Reply #618 on: July 28, 2017, 01:07:39 AM
Lumberjack lately
"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter won't mind." -Dr. Seuss-

us Offline Faddy Daddy

Reply #619 on: July 28, 2017, 02:02:58 AM
^^^^^^  Nice! Love those nylon scales too!

us Offline El Corkscrew

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #620 on: July 28, 2017, 02:29:05 AM
Lumberjack lately
(Image removed from quote.)

:like: :like:

I'm getting ready to have a Lumbergolfer....  or a Golferjack.   Can't wait  ::)
“All you need in this life is ignorance and confidence, and then success is sure.” - Mark Twain

it Offline Mini

Reply #621 on: July 28, 2017, 12:58:54 PM
I was thinking about my walker, coincidence ☺️.
I'm not a fun of combo tool, but I realized that it's the best solution for this knife and what it's made for: a walk. Maybe  the Vic with the most correct name.

IMG_20170728_125230.jpg
* IMG_20170728_125230.jpg (Filesize: 76.84 KB)

nl Offline Ron Who

• I'm blue!
Reply #622 on: July 28, 2017, 09:37:30 PM
The Walker's a nice little tool. It's the only SAK I saw fit to buy two at once of.

it Offline Mini

Reply #623 on: July 28, 2017, 10:27:57 PM
 :cheers: well done!

pt Offline MacGyver

• No Life Club
Reply #624 on: July 29, 2017, 12:00:27 AM
I'm not a fun of combo tool, but I realized that it's the best solution for this knife and what it's made for: a walk. Maybe  the Vic with the most correct name.

The Walker is a cool sak, but what's beyond me is why they chosen that tool set instead of making an 84mm Camper or/and Hiker, that would be way cooler IMO, and they had all the parts readily available, not the case unfortunately for scissors models... :-\

us Offline El Corkscrew

Reply #625 on: July 29, 2017, 01:23:18 PM

The Walker is a cool sak, but what's beyond me is why they chosen that tool set instead of making an 84mm Camper or/and Hiker, that would be way cooler IMO, and they had all the parts readily available, not the case unfortunately for scissors models... :-\

Right? or at least hook a brutha up with some back layer tools?  :think:

I've commissioned one of our members to add the wood saw to an 84mm Golfer.    Can't wait.  ::)
« Last Edit: July 29, 2017, 01:25:00 PM by El Corkscrew »
“All you need in this life is ignorance and confidence, and then success is sure.” - Mark Twain

pt Offline MacGyver

• No Life Club
Reply #626 on: July 29, 2017, 01:31:31 PM

Right? or at least hook a brutha up with some back layer tools?  :think:

I've commissioned one of our members to add the wood saw to an 84mm Golfer.    Can't wait.  ::)

Yesh that would be cooler too, since it's a saw they could have put a back fine SD and a corkscrew/philips  :think:

us Offline theonew

• No Life Club
Reply #627 on: July 29, 2017, 07:01:32 PM
I agree but cost may be an issue. I picked up a Walker for $17 new. But I imagine that labor is the highest cost component in the making of a SAK and can't really see how using a different spring and adding a corkscrew and back layer fine SD would add much to the labor cost :think:

us Offline GoatDragon

• SAK 4 life
Reply #628 on: July 29, 2017, 08:10:41 PM
There would be a small weight increase when adding back later tools. Ye olde SAKWiki states that there is a 3.56g difference in weight between a Recruit (48.4g) and a Tourist (51.96g). Perhaps they are marketing to ultralight walkers.

Reply #629 on: July 31, 2017, 06:14:49 PM
Really loving my Tourist, with the new black scales.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD
48%