Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

84mm SAK love

Aloxfan · 1123 · 114241

us Offline Faddy Daddy

Re: 84mm SAK love
Reply #630 on: July 31, 2017, 06:38:34 PM
Really loving my Tourist, with the new black scales.
(Image removed from quote.)(Image removed from quote.)

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk

Gorgeous!

ch Offline Sneider

• No Life Club
Reply #631 on: July 31, 2017, 10:55:13 PM
A popular looks at his future home...

If you want to be happy, be.
(Leo Tolstoy)

us Offline strmliner

• No Life Club
Reply #632 on: August 01, 2017, 12:38:35 AM

(Image removed from quote.)

I'm looking forward to seeing his new home as it gets completed!   :like:
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they go."    -Will Rogers

us Offline El Corkscrew

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #633 on: August 01, 2017, 05:33:31 PM

(Image removed from quote.)

Haven't seen one with a bail!  :tu: :like:

El Tinkerito is with me today.
WP_20170801_07_42_52_Pro (2).jpg
* WP_20170801_07_42_52_Pro (2).jpg (Filesize: 325.06 KB)
“All you need in this life is ignorance and confidence, and then success is sure.” - Mark Twain

pt Offline MacGyver

• No Life Club
Reply #634 on: August 02, 2017, 11:15:10 AM
 :drink:
WP_20170722_10_18_53_Pro.jpg
* WP_20170722_10_18_53_Pro.jpg (Filesize: 299.22 KB)
"Another Day...; a whole n'other set of fresh possibilities..." - MacGyver (S1E19 - "Slow Death")

pt Offline MacGyver

• No Life Club
Reply #635 on: August 07, 2017, 05:04:58 PM
 :salute:
WP_20170722_10_19_28_Pro.jpg
* WP_20170722_10_19_28_Pro.jpg (Filesize: 402.89 KB)
"Another Day...; a whole n'other set of fresh possibilities..." - MacGyver (S1E19 - "Slow Death")

ph Offline an0nemus

• No Life Club
  • I Tool Therefore I Am
Reply #636 on: August 13, 2017, 05:22:59 AM
First time for me to own an 84mm SAK. I have a nylon Recruit. Comparing it with my cellidor Spartan, it feels less solid. The snaps, the heft, the overall impression. Am I just imagining things?

us Offline El Corkscrew

Reply #637 on: August 13, 2017, 06:31:48 AM
i think each knife is different. 84mm Waiters are light but have wicked snap.  Depends on era/wear/oil/cleanliness/factory magic  :D
« Last Edit: August 13, 2017, 06:41:15 AM by El Corkscrew »
“All you need in this life is ignorance and confidence, and then success is sure.” - Mark Twain

ph Offline an0nemus

• No Life Club
  • I Tool Therefore I Am
Reply #638 on: August 13, 2017, 06:50:33 AM
i think each knife is different. 84mm Waiters are light but have wicked snap.  Depends on era/wear/oil/cleanliness/factory magic  :D
Makes sense. It means I have to get more 84mms hehe :cheers:

us Offline strmliner

• No Life Club
Reply #639 on: August 13, 2017, 06:28:38 PM
First time for me to own an 84mm SAK. I have a nylon Recruit. Comparing it with my cellidor Spartan, it feels less solid. The snaps, the heft, the overall impression. Am I just imagining things?(Image removed from quote.)

84's do feel like less in your hand than a 91 or 93, no doubt about it. Snap-wise, I'm not sure I agree though snap is a function of many things as eLC pointed out. I do trust my 84's to do most anything my 91's will do...it's just a smaller package which is desirable to some...not so desirable to others. I have 84's/91's/93's in my EDC rotation and enjoy the heck out of them.  I really like the Recruit and am modding a 91mm Recruit from leftover parts just for fun.  :cheers:

"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they go."    -Will Rogers

ph Offline an0nemus

• No Life Club
  • I Tool Therefore I Am
Reply #640 on: August 13, 2017, 06:46:43 PM
First time for me to own an 84mm SAK. I have a nylon Recruit. Comparing it with my cellidor Spartan, it feels less solid. The snaps, the heft, the overall impression. Am I just imagining things?(Image removed from quote.)

84's do feel like less in your hand than a 91 or 93, no doubt about it. Snap-wise, I'm not sure I agree though snap is a function of many things as eLC pointed out. I do trust my 84's to do most anything my 91's will do...it's just a smaller package which is desirable to some...not so desirable to others. I have 84's/91's/93's in my EDC rotation and enjoy the heck out of them.  I really like the Recruit and am modding a 91mm Recruit from leftover parts just for fun.  :cheers:

Might just be the case of my particular 84mm and 91mm SAKs. I just feel more confident in the later, like it feels more robust. Its like I can do more with the 91mm seemingly thicker steel.

But I really like how well the 84mm fits perfectly into my jeans' coin/knife pocket  :like:

pt Offline MacGyver

• No Life Club
Reply #641 on: August 14, 2017, 12:41:50 AM

Might just be the case of my particular 84mm and 91mm SAKs. I just feel more confident in the later, like it feels more robust. Its like I can do more with the 91mm seemingly thicker steel.

But I really like how well the 84mm fits perfectly into my jeans' coin/knife pocket  :like:

Humm...I see what you mean, but i disagree with you on some points...

First, it's not really a fair comparison between the 84mm recruit and the 91mm spartan (or other) for example. The lack of back tools will always give you the illusion of the 84mm being less sturdy (and more hollow like), not to mention the noticeable difference in weight between both.
You need to compare a Spartan with a Tourist (or Sportsman) or a Tinker with a Small Tinker, and you'll see the 84mm owes nothing to the 91mm.
There is also absolutely no difference in tool thickness between 84mm and 91mm, they are exactly the same thickness  and a Tourist is exactly the same thickness as a Spartan overall.  Same tools, same tool strength, same built. The only difference between a Tourist and a Spartan for example, is that the Tourist is just 7mm shorter length wise, and around 2mm (give or take) narrower in with with all tools slightly shorter and narrower accordingly.

I personally even think the 84mm's are more tight and compact than the 91mm's because the tools are not much shorter than on the 91mm's, there for they have a bit less empty space between them, and are closer together than on the 91mm's.

This is just my opinion of course, your's may differ. But for me is a bit like: "Why should i carry for regular edc a 91mm Spartan when i can carry a 84mm Tourist being the only difference between them is just 7mm less in lenght?"  :cheers:
« Last Edit: August 14, 2017, 12:48:53 AM by MacGyver »

ph Offline an0nemus

• No Life Club
  • I Tool Therefore I Am
Reply #642 on: August 14, 2017, 12:48:31 AM

First, it's not really a fair comparison between the 84mm recruit and the 91mm spartan (or other) for example. The lack of back tools will always give you the illusion of the 84mm being less sturdy (and more hollow like), not to mention the noticeable difference in weight between both.
You need to compare a Spartan with a Tourist (or Sportsman) or a Tinker with a Small Tinker, and you'll see the 84mm owes nothing to the 91mm.
There is also absolutely no difference in tool thickness between 84mm and 91mm, they are exactly the same thickness  and a Tourist is exactly the same thickness as a Spartan overall.  Same tools, same tool strength, same built. The only difference between a Tourist and a Spartan for example, is that the Tourist is just 7mm shorter length wise, and around 3mm give or take narrower in with with all tools slightly shorter and narrower accordingly.

I personally even think the 84mm's are more tight and compact than the 91mm's because the tools are not much shorter than on the 91mm's, there for they have a bit less empty space between them, and are closer together than on the 91mm's.

This is just my opinion of course, your's may differ. But for me is a bit like: "Why should i carry for regular edc a 91mm Spartan when i can carry a 84mm Tourist being the only difference between them is just 7mm less in lenght?"  :cheers:

All your points make perfect, and I suspect the difference I feel is just imaginary, or an illusion, as everything is based on impression especially since I haven't used either or both for any medium to heavy use. Thats why I appreciate forum like this as I get valuable insights from co-members. thanks!  :cheers:

us Offline El Corkscrew

Reply #643 on: August 14, 2017, 12:51:03 AM

There is also absolutely no difference in tool thickness between 84mm and 91mm, they are exactly the same thickness  and a Tourist is exactly the same thickness as a Spartan overall.  Same tools, same tool strength, same built. The only difference between a Tourist and a Spartan for example, is that the Tourist is just 7mm shorter length wise, and around 2mm (give or take) narrower in with with all tools slightly shorter and narrower accordingly.

hm um plus scales cough.   :D

ph Offline an0nemus

• No Life Club
  • I Tool Therefore I Am
Reply #644 on: August 14, 2017, 12:57:21 AM

there is no 84mm plus scales?  ???

pt Offline MacGyver

• No Life Club
Reply #645 on: August 14, 2017, 01:02:32 AM

LOL, not even remotely important enough for me to choose a 91mm over an 84mm...  :pok:  :D
The only thing Plus scales adds is a pen, and for me while is may come in handy if you happen to have it, is in no way critical or even that important. I can´t really remember when was the last time i had to actually  hand write something on paper, especially with no pen around. To take some notes i'll use the smartphone...  :cheers:

And BTW if one really needs to that tiny little pen there is lots of other ways to carry other than being physically on the Sak :pok:
« Last Edit: August 14, 2017, 01:04:43 AM by MacGyver »

us Offline El Corkscrew

Reply #646 on: August 14, 2017, 01:19:05 AM
Just pointing out another difference. I find your loyalty to the 84mm admirable.  I like them awl.  :D
« Last Edit: August 14, 2017, 01:20:06 AM by El Corkscrew »

us Offline Faddy Daddy

Reply #647 on: August 14, 2017, 02:25:55 AM

Well, I'd certainly be the last guy to pile on but your overlooking probably the most important thing of all!
Who would want to carry a little tourist when you could carry a SPARTAN!
The name says it all me thinks  :rofl:

us Offline El Corkscrew

Reply #648 on: August 14, 2017, 02:47:19 AM

Well, I'd certainly be the last guy to pile on but your overlooking probably the most important thing of all!

2 words

Skinny Jeans    :rofl:

pt Offline MacGyver

• No Life Club
Reply #649 on: August 14, 2017, 09:57:07 AM

2 words

Skinny Jeans    :rofl:

:rofl: :rofl:

Well, it's not really any special loyalty to the 84mm's, to me its just more practical, more compact, and more than enough (size and function) for my everyday needs. And 84's just look a bit cooler to me than the 91's, I was always into small portable stuff, so to me the smaller the better as long as funtionality and sturdiness is not compromised for what I need.
I still love all my 91's, just not for regular urban edc anymore. The 84's is what a "pocket knife" size should be :D
Oh and of course as far as paranoid scaredy "sheep" goes I guess the 84's are maybe a bit less intimidating  ::)
« Last Edit: August 14, 2017, 11:44:47 AM by MacGyver »

us Offline El Corkscrew

Reply #650 on: August 14, 2017, 05:27:33 PM
Sounding pretty loyal to me  :pok:

There are many couples who would kill for that kind of faith and fidelity.   :D

ch Offline Sneider

• No Life Club
Reply #651 on: August 14, 2017, 07:26:08 PM
A few black Excelsiors...

If you want to be happy, be.
(Leo Tolstoy)

it Offline Mini

Reply #652 on: August 14, 2017, 08:59:34 PM
 :like:

pt Offline MacGyver

• No Life Club
Reply #653 on: August 14, 2017, 10:02:12 PM
 :D
WP_20170722_10_51_42_Pro.jpg
* WP_20170722_10_51_42_Pro.jpg (Filesize: 322.2 KB)
WP_20170722_10_46_33_Pro.jpg
* WP_20170722_10_46_33_Pro.jpg (Filesize: 328.26 KB)
« Last Edit: August 14, 2017, 10:05:03 PM by MacGyver »

us Offline El Corkscrew

Reply #654 on: August 15, 2017, 07:08:59 PM
El Hofferito Tinker  (71-73?  :think:)
WP_20170815_08_27_19_Pro (5).jpg
* WP_20170815_08_27_19_Pro (5).jpg (Filesize: 440.57 KB)

gb Offline Fast Bill

• No Life Club
  • Carpe titanium
Reply #655 on: August 15, 2017, 09:29:12 PM
El Hofferito Tinker  (71-73?  :think:)

:like: Nice square driver there
Per Titanium Ad Tearoom.
Apex predator of fruit cake

gb Offline Fast Bill

• No Life Club
  • Carpe titanium
Reply #656 on: August 15, 2017, 09:30:20 PM
Some Small Tinker time with Spirit today

* IMG_0105.jpg (Filesize: 27.99 KB)
Per Titanium Ad Tearoom.
Apex predator of fruit cake

pt Offline MacGyver

• No Life Club
Reply #657 on: August 21, 2017, 02:28:21 PM
 :cheers:
WP_20170818_10_06_18_Pro - Copy.jpg
* WP_20170818_10_06_18_Pro - Copy.jpg (Filesize: 351.65 KB)

us Offline El Corkscrew

Reply #658 on: August 21, 2017, 05:26:51 PM
 :like: :like:  Nice, Mac!

I finally got a Tourist with T&T  :tu: 

Pairs nicely with El Midnite Manager
com.jpg
* com.jpg (Filesize: 244.13 KB)

pt Offline MacGyver

• No Life Club
Reply #659 on: August 21, 2017, 07:46:36 PM
:like: :like:  Nice, Mac!

I finally got a Tourist with T&T  :tu: 

Pairs nicely with El Midnite Manager

Niiiiice...  :D  :like:
Does is have any ad on the front scale?

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD
39%