Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

84mm SAK love

Aloxfan · 1123 · 114583

us Offline strmliner

• No Life Club
Re: 84mm SAK love
Reply #690 on: September 03, 2017, 09:29:47 PM
I do think this Elinox Gourmet will be my new signature for a while :)

Nice!   :cheers:
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they go."    -Will Rogers

us Offline El Corkscrew

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #691 on: September 11, 2017, 09:59:38 AM
Salesman and Huntsman small otw
s-l1600-38.jpg
* s-l1600-38.jpg (Filesize: 80.76 KB)
“All you need in this life is ignorance and confidence, and then success is sure.” - Mark Twain

gb Offline Zed

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #692 on: September 16, 2017, 02:23:56 AM
Salesman and Huntsman small otw

I think the salesman would be my perfect daily edc  :drool: it's like a mini version of my super tinker other than the file on the Phillips  :ahhh
2017-09-16 01.01.31.jpg
* 2017-09-16 01.01.31.jpg (Filesize: 210.64 KB)

us Offline El Corkscrew

Reply #693 on: September 25, 2017, 05:13:50 PM
I'm in love.
   84mm Golfjack recently modified by our brother, Magentus.
WP_20170925_07_20_24_Pro (2).jpg
* WP_20170925_07_20_24_Pro (2).jpg (Filesize: 316.14 KB)
“All you need in this life is ignorance and confidence, and then success is sure.” - Mark Twain

00 Offline Mechanickal

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #694 on: September 25, 2017, 05:21:04 PM
I'm in love.
That's neat!

I keep wondering though, it's rumoured that Vic no longer produces 84mm scissors because the equipment to build them broke and was to expensive to replace.
Yet Wenger knives are 85mm and still contain scissors...
Vic owns the Wenger machinery...
85mm scissors for 84mm SAKs won't be that hard to fit, would it?
:think:
Got an Evogrip 18 last saturday which has alot of tools in common with your Golferjack here. Even the size is quite close.

Edit: not that much in common... just scissors and saw in a -91mm platform...

us Offline El Corkscrew

Reply #695 on: September 25, 2017, 06:20:53 PM
I'm in love.
That's neat!

I keep wondering though, it's rumoured that Vic no longer produces 84mm scissors because the equipment to build them broke and was to expensive to replace.
Got an Evogrip 18 last saturday which has alot of tools in common with your Golferjack here. Even the size is quite close.

Edit: not that much in common... just scissors and saw in a -91mm platform...

has to be something with the size. Even when there was the Wenger version of the Waiter with Vic tools they still used the 84mm blade and combo tool.

pt Offline MacGyver

• No Life Club
Reply #696 on: September 25, 2017, 06:36:50 PM
I'm in love.
That's neat!

I somehow find it hard to believe Vic's reason, today, for not bringing back the 84mm scissors to be the broken machine excuse...  ??? If every part is made from the specific stamping mold and if the machines are multitasking (one machine makes different tools) it would just be tha case to create a new stamping mold for the scissors and corresponding back spring...  :think:

I really thing that the case here is: they just don't care, or want to bother with it  >:(  Since they have the 85mm series with scissors, i really don't think they will ever bring back the 84mm versions.

I don't want to be grouchy here, but sometimes it just feel's they are much more interested in making endless "limited editions" of standard models with fancy scales and neat boxes at ridiculous prices for collectors to buy, than in making and creating new tools or variant's for actual users and Sak enthusiasts.  :rant:

Sorry for the rant, but that's just my honest opinion these days
"Another Day...; a whole n'other set of fresh possibilities..." - MacGyver (S1E19 - "Slow Death")

00 Offline Mechanickal

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #697 on: September 25, 2017, 06:43:18 PM
I'm in love.
That's neat!

I somehow find it hard to believe Vic's reason, today, for not bringing back the 84mm scissors to be the broken machine excuse...  ??? If every part is made from the specific stamping mold and if the machines are multitasking (one machine makes different tools) it would just be tha case to create a new stamping mold for the scissors and corresponding back spring...  :think:

I really thing that the case here is: they just don't care, or want to bother with it  >:(  Since they have the 85mm series with scissors, i really don't think they will ever bring back the 84mm versions.

I don't want to be grouchy here, but sometimes it just feel's they are much more interested in making endless "limited editions" of standard models with fancy scales and neat boxes at ridiculous prices for collectors to buy, than in making and creating new tools or variant's for actual users and Sak enthusiasts.  :rant:

Don't feel sorry.
I think lot's of people think the same way.

us Offline El Corkscrew

Reply #698 on: September 25, 2017, 06:45:46 PM
I'm in love.
That's neat!

I don't want to be grouchy here, but sometimes it just feel's they are much more interested in making endless "limited editions" of standard models with fancy scales and neat boxesat ridiculous prices for collectors to buy, than in making and creating new tools or variant's for actual users and Sak enthusiasts.  :rant:

Don't want to hate, and I know a LOT of people like these but I feel the same way.  It's gotta be a helluva a lot cheaper to slap different scales on there than make/reproduce older modes.

pt Offline MacGyver

• No Life Club
Reply #699 on: September 25, 2017, 06:59:34 PM
I'm in love.
That's neat!

I don't want to be grouchy here, but sometimes it just feel's they are much more interested in making endless "limited editions" of standard models with fancy scales and neat boxesat ridiculous prices for collectors to buy, than in making and creating new tools or variant's for actual users and Sak enthusiasts.  :rant:

Don't want to hate, and I know a LOT of people like these but I feel the same way.  It's gotta be a helluva a lot cheaper to slap different scales on there than make/reproduce older modes.

Totally agree, why should they invest more money in making another 84mm scissors and spring stamping mold, or even try and adapt 85mm scissors to the 84mm line to sell at standard prices when they can spend a hell of lot less on making fancy scales and cool boxes for standard existing models, slap them on, and sell them for premium prices...?

Financially for a corporation, it makes perfect sense. Utility wise for a user (like me) it makes none  :twak:
"Another Day...; a whole n'other set of fresh possibilities..." - MacGyver (S1E19 - "Slow Death")

gb Offline Fast Bill

• No Life Club
  • Carpe titanium
Reply #700 on: September 25, 2017, 09:20:56 PM
Sportsman. Bliss. But I used the Wenger to slice the tomatoes.
IMG_0229.jpg
* IMG_0229.jpg (Filesize: 177.97 KB)
Per Titanium Ad Tearoom.
Apex predator of fruit cake

us Offline El Corkscrew

Reply #701 on: September 26, 2017, 05:19:18 PM

:like: :tu:

Chevy the Golfjack again today  :salute:
WP_20170926_08_06_00_Pro (2).jpg
* WP_20170926_08_06_00_Pro (2).jpg (Filesize: 201.04 KB)

gb Offline Fast Bill

• No Life Club
  • Carpe titanium
Reply #702 on: September 26, 2017, 08:45:37 PM

Nice one Dan  :like:

A little green Dane today
IMG_0230.jpg
* IMG_0230.jpg (Filesize: 307.93 KB)
Per Titanium Ad Tearoom.

us Offline NorCalJim

• No Life Club
Reply #703 on: September 26, 2017, 09:03:26 PM

:like: :like: :like:

Love the green Cadet! The Pioneer X was supposed to be my one and only Alox model but I came down with Alox fever. :)

I didn't warm to the Cadet right away but after purchasing a silver model, it grew on me.  I have all available colors now including orchid.

:cheers:

Jim

us Offline El Corkscrew

Reply #704 on: September 26, 2017, 10:31:54 PM

Danish run cadet?

us Offline El Corkscrew

Reply #705 on: September 26, 2017, 10:33:34 PM

Love the green Cadet! The Pioneer X was supposed to be my one and only Alox model but I came down with Alox fever. :)

I didn't warm to the Cadet right away but after purchasing a silver model, it grew on me.  I have all available colors now including orchid.

Jim

:rofl:  Kind of the same story with me but I have been able to show some self control and have limited myself to a silver one.  Soldiers on the other hand... Let's just say I have more than a couple decades' worth.

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
Reply #706 on: September 27, 2017, 04:05:21 PM
I'm in love.
That's neat!

If the sales justified it before the tools crapped out, they would have replaced them. To resurrect them, they would have to replace the stamps and dies for the fixed scissor arm, movable arm, backspring, leaf spring, plus jigs and fixtures for drilling the holes, peening the scissor pivot etc etc etc. That level of investment needs the confidence that the sales demand will be there for several tens of thousands of units. A few nostalgic members of an internet forum aren't going to tip the balance  :D There's one way to get the scissors back, and that's to place an order for 50,000 units.  ;)

Aside from this, their cost management approach seems very much to be minimising inventory these days. An example of this would be the Alox Solo blade. They now use a standard Pioneer blade, which sits off center in the handles due to the asymmetrical grind (NOT crinking). The Alox Solo stamps/dies/coining tools obviously crapped out at some point, and the sales of the Solo's aren't worth reinvesting in dedicated tooling - or even running a few coils of steel through the machine while the tooling is set up, and putting a decades blade blanks into stock for a relatively slow moving item. Even if they had the tooling in good condition, it probably wouldn't be worth the down time of switching the tooling over just to run off 500 knife blanks. The down time / change over time may well cost more than the stamping/coining time, thus doubling (or more) the production cost in terms of rate/hour and appropriation of overheads.

Due to the mass production and efficiency models they operate on, and which keep their knives so affordable, any new development/releases have got to be costed out in terms of many tens of thousands of units. If they don't think they are going to sell them in those quantities, they aren't going to make them - simple as that. Sorry guys. Wenger tried doing smaller batch runs of speSmurfpillst items, but we all know how that story ended - and so do the Elsener family  :whistle:

Just my personal perspective  :salute:
« Last Edit: September 27, 2017, 04:06:57 PM by 50ft-trad »

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #707 on: September 27, 2017, 04:33:59 PM
I'm in love.
That's neat!

If the sales justified it before the tools crapped out, they would have replaced them. To resurrect them, they would have to replace the stamps and dies for the fixed scissor arm, movable arm, backspring, leaf spring, plus jigs and fixtures for drilling the holes, peening the scissor pivot etc etc etc. That level of investment needs the confidence that the sales demand will be there for several tens of thousands of units. A few nostalgic members of an internet forum aren't going to tip the balance  :D There's one way to get the scissors back, and that's to place an order for 50,000 units.  ;)

Aside from this, their cost management approach seems very much to be minimising inventory these days. An example of this would be the Alox Solo blade. They now use a standard Pioneer blade, which sits off center in the handles due to the asymmetrical grind (NOT crinking). The Alox Solo stamps/dies/coining tools obviously crapped out at some point, and the sales of the Solo's aren't worth reinvesting in dedicated tooling - or even running a few coils of steel through the machine while the tooling is set up, and putting a decades blade blanks into stock for a relatively slow moving item. Even if they had the tooling in good condition, it probably wouldn't be worth the down time of switching the tooling over just to run off 500 knife blanks. The down time / change over time may well cost more than the stamping/coining time, thus doubling (or more) the production cost in terms of rate/hour and appropriation of overheads.

Due to the mass production and efficiency models they operate on, and which keep their knives so affordable, any new development/releases have got to be costed out in terms of many tens of thousands of units. If they don't think they are going to sell them in those quantities, they aren't going to make them - simple as that. Sorry guys. Wenger tried doing smaller batch runs of speSmurfpillst items, but we all know how that story ended - and so do the Elsener family  :whistle:

To expand on this ...

If we assume stamping and coining of a blade blank on an automated run takes 2.5 seconds (which I don't think is unreasonable), every half hour of down time, switching dies over, costs the same time / share of overheads as the production of 720 blade blanks. Plus, on top of that, there's the labour involvement of both the toolsetter, and the guy retreiving the new tools from the stores, and returning the previous ones, compared with the automated stamping where the operators can walk away and work on another machine. It's far more cost effective to run through several thousands of components in one set, as and when bin stock needs replenishing.

I've always worked in lower volume, more speSmurfpillsed and significantly heavier component production, but I have been on tooling changeovers on heavy machinery which have taken two men (me and one other) between seven and eight hours to tackle up and the same again to tackle down at the end of the run. That's viable if you have a two week production run to do (or in our case, a batch of 25 components that take three or four hours each), but if it's just a one hour job - forget it. While my experience is not directly relevant to Vic's processing due to the differences in scale, I do have first hand experience of running production facilities where set up / change over times can make or break your entire company's profits for the month, subject to the batch quantities involved in each order / production run.

00 Offline Mechanickal

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #708 on: September 27, 2017, 04:41:19 PM
Good inputs Al :salute:

pt Offline MacGyver

• No Life Club
Reply #709 on: September 27, 2017, 05:41:57 PM
I'm in love.
That's neat!

To expand on this ...

If we assume stamping and coining of a blade blank on an automated run takes 2.5 seconds (which I don't think is unreasonable), every half hour of down time, switching dies over, costs the same time / share of overheads as the production of 720 blade blanks. Plus, on top of that, there's the labour involvement of both the toolsetter, and the guy retreiving the new tools from the stores, and returning the previous ones, compared with the automated stamping where the operators can walk away and work on another machine. It's far more cost effective to run through several thousands of components in one set, as and when bin stock needs replenishing.

I've always worked in lower volume, more speSmurfpillsed and significantly heavier component production, but I have been on tooling changeovers on heavy machinery which have taken two men (me and one other) between seven and eight hours to tackle up and the same again to tackle down at the end of the run. That's viable if you have a two week production run to do (or in our case, a batch of 25 components that take three or four hours each), but if it's just a one hour job - forget it. While my experience is not directly relevant to Vic's processing due to the differences in scale, I do have first hand experience of running production facilities where set up / change over times can make or break your entire company's profits for the month, subject to the batch quantities involved in each order / production run.

Thanks for the detailed and knowledgeable input on the matter mate  :cheers:

I completely understand all your point's and agree with them. I really have no proper perspective on how much investment and labor it would take to bring back the 84mm scissors again, but for example the 84mm Walker (former Lumberjack), i don't know if they still had the old stamps around for the 84mm saw assembly or if they bult new ones. That had to toke some investment, so why go with the wood saw? Why not the 84mm small Climber instead? The Climber is probably one of their best selling models, so why would an 2 layer 84mm sak with a saw be considered more viable vs an 84mm of their best selling model in a more pocketable size?  Or even still for 2 layers why not the 84mm Golfer?

I just don't understand why they would consider an 84mm saw more usefull than an 84mm scissors, since they brought back the 84mm saw ....  :-\
And given the fact people who carry 84mm models are more likely to use them in an urban/suburban environment, where scissors makes more sense.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2017, 05:45:16 PM by MacGyver »

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #710 on: September 27, 2017, 05:52:23 PM
They already had the saw and combo tool in the inventory from the MFV+. It was simply a matter or putting together a different combinations of parts they already had. Even so, it's MUCH simpler to make a saw than scissors. One piece of metal for the blade, plus the grinding op, plus one backspring, compared with fixed arm + moveable arm + drilling and grinding both + pivot pin + preassembly and peening of pivot + leaf spring + fitting leafspring + backspring x many thousand :ahhh

In fact they may even have introduced this model to boost throughput of the saw if the MFV+ wasn't selling in large enough numbers. It's add the Walker to try to boost sales and minimise slow moving inventory (saw blades and springs), or cull the MFV+ altogether. The combo tool already gets an extra boost to throughput of inventory from the Bantam and Waiter. There's always logic to their decisions, even if they are frustrating for the likes of us  :)
« Last Edit: September 27, 2017, 06:01:20 PM by 50ft-trad »

gb Offline Fast Bill

• No Life Club
  • Carpe titanium
Reply #711 on: September 27, 2017, 07:37:57 PM

Danish run cadet?

That's it Dan. I do like the Cadet  :tu:
Per Titanium Ad Tearoom.

gb Offline Fast Bill

• No Life Club
  • Carpe titanium
Reply #712 on: September 27, 2017, 07:39:21 PM

Jim

The Cadet really works for me. Just love the ultra thin way it fades into my pocket no probs at all.  :cheers:
Per Titanium Ad Tearoom.

us Offline El Corkscrew

Reply #713 on: November 04, 2017, 01:26:21 AM
Man, this thing is nice...
WP_20171103_17_19_42_Pro (4).jpg
* WP_20171103_17_19_42_Pro (4).jpg (Filesize: 285.42 KB)

us Offline NorCalJim

• No Life Club
Reply #714 on: November 04, 2017, 02:52:31 AM

:like:

It was probably a year or year and a half ago that I was watching a series of Nut'nfancy YouTube videos about different products including one of his favorite light multi-tools, the Juice S2 (had scissors). At the time, scissors were one of my key requirements. One of Nut'nfancy's videos featured the Victorinox Cadet, which he praised. I remember really liking the form factor but having a concern that there were no scissors. It was no accident that my first Alox SAK was the Pioneer X that featured scissors. Eventually, I started buying various other Pioneer models and acquired a Cadet. Now I am a huge fan of the Cadet! It has an amazing build quality and packs very useful tools in a small, narrow form factor.  I thought I had all of the Cadet colors but just realized that I am missing the orange. I keep the silver Cadet within reach of where I watch TV and use it frequently.

Jim

gb Offline Fast Bill

• No Life Club
  • Carpe titanium
Reply #715 on: November 04, 2017, 01:00:04 PM

:like:

It was probably a year or year and a half ago that I was watching a series of Nut'nfancy YouTube videos about different products including one of his favorite light multi-tools, the Juice S2 (had scissors). At the time, scissors were one of my key requirements. One of Nut'nfancy's videos featured the Victorinox Cadet, which he praised. I remember really liking the form factor but having a concern that there were no scissors. It was no accident that my first Alox SAK was the Pioneer X that featured scissors. Eventually, I started buying various other Pioneer models and acquired a Cadet. Now I am a huge fan of the Cadet! It has an amazing build quality and packs very useful tools in a small, narrow form factor.  I thought I had all of the Cadet colors but just realized that I am missing the orange. I keep the silver Cadet within reach of where I watch TV and use it frequently.

Jim

I'm not really an Alox fan 'cos I like my T&T and small screwdriver. That said my first Cadet sold me on the quality and toolset with a Classic to hand. But .... I'm not smitten by this years green colour so that's not happening for me.  :think:
Per Titanium Ad Tearoom.

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #716 on: November 04, 2017, 01:46:54 PM

The Cadet really works for me. Just love the ultra thin way it fades into my pocket no probs at all.  :cheers:

^^^ This ^^^

And it has a nice suite of tools, feels rugged, and is sheeple friendly. Fantastic EDC.

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #717 on: November 04, 2017, 08:14:26 PM

I concur.  I have a nice well used Red one.  When I got it poor thing had been really beat to crap.  I lovingly did what I could and its been quite a faithful friend.  I carried it to dinner the other night.  Just now I opened a can of tuna.  I wouldn't mind getting a newer version with the file.  Not sure 2 blades makes the most sense for me. 
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline El Corkscrew

Reply #718 on: November 04, 2017, 08:26:21 PM
What i really like about this cadet is the scales... They feel really unique in an awesome way... Never had one like this.

It'll probably remain a shelf queen..
 :facepalm:

I like 84mm... Just prefer 91mm plus scales or 93mm these days

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #719 on: November 04, 2017, 08:32:13 PM

It'll probably remain a shelf queen..
 :facepalm:

Noooooooooooooooooooo...!   :ahhh

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00