Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

An Invitation to Guests

gb Offline Mike, Lord of the Spammers!

• Chief of the Absolutely No Life Club!
  • Abandon All Hope Ye Who Enter Here...
  • Why haven't you got a Farmer yet!
An Invitation to Guests
on: November 16, 2007, 01:55:29 PM
What would you like to see this forum do to entice new members to join ???
Give in, buy several Farmer's!!!!!!

Offline cryptrick

Re: An Invitation to Guests
Reply #1 on: November 16, 2007, 07:30:11 PM
Its a really tough one. As we've all seen a couple of days ago, once a freebie Multitool goes on offer in a competition they flock to the scene, but many will never post again (they just want to snag the freebie :P) which isn't what you really want, you want them to join in and participate. I think perhaps making a new thread where they answer a number of questions like... whats their favourite tool, why they like it and what they will be looking to buy next (for example). Hopefully that will then get them into posting and to look/post elsewhere on the forum. Just an idea anyway...
[

Reply #2 on: November 16, 2007, 10:33:32 PM
Its a really tough one. As we've all seen a couple of days ago, once a freebie Multitool goes on offer in a competition they flock to the scene, but many will never post again (they just want to snag the freebie :P) which isn't what you really want, you want them to join in and participate. I think perhaps making a new thread where they answer a number of questions like... whats their favourite tool, why they like it and what they will be looking to buy next (for example). Hopefully that will then get them into posting and to look/post elsewhere on the forum. Just an idea anyway...
Not a bad idea at all mate :), have you got any questions in mind?

us Offline WhichDawg

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #3 on: November 25, 2007, 12:39:59 PM
I missed a freebie! darn it :( but I didn't join for that anyway, more to learn and make new friends across the span. but a freebie is nice :D

us Offline WhichDawg

Reply #4 on: November 25, 2007, 12:50:43 PM
and for the record, "NeitherExtreme" invited me! so blame him if I seem nuts! :D

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #5 on: November 25, 2007, 03:57:51 PM
We do freebies and givaways fairly often here.  The hard part is really coming up with an interesting way to give stuff away that will get folks involved!  In fact, we have more stuff to give away, than we have ways of giving it away! :P

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

Offline Tom Munch

• No Life Club
Reply #6 on: November 25, 2007, 05:10:07 PM
Good, real, thought-provoking conversation is the best draw IMO.  Reviews & real content that you can sink your teeth into are what draw folks to the sites I like.  Also things done on a regular basis that folks can anticipate should bring folks regularly.  I like the comradery & the friendships I see here, but those may be hard for people to break into unless they are very outgoing.  That may look like an exclusive club.  Regular stands (like reviews & opinions) that encourage comments where newbies feel welcome will I think increase the membership.

Just a few ideas.

Tom

england Offline Benner

• Global Tuffy
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • Just Awesome! And a Slayer of Polar Bear!
Reply #7 on: November 25, 2007, 06:20:51 PM
Good, real, thought-provoking conversation is the best draw IMO.  Reviews & real content that you can sink your teeth into are what draw folks to the sites I like.  Also things done on a regular basis that folks can anticipate should bring folks regularly.  I like the comradery & the friendships I see here, but those may be hard for people to break into unless they are very outgoing.  That may look like an exclusive club.  Regular stands (like reviews & opinions) that encourage comments where newbies feel welcome will I think increase the membership.

Just a few ideas.

Tom

I'm with Tom.  Good content should encourage those to participate.

As with making newbies feel welcome, I think we all do a good job with that already.
I'm back!!

Offline Carthas

Reply #8 on: December 10, 2007, 01:36:42 PM
I also think that you do a really good job already. I'm not really interested in things like freebies (I live in Australia so it's not likely that I'll see them anyway). It's the content that counts. When I was researching for buying a new tool, the only thing I got from a google search was a result where the first 10 pages were ads for the product. The only real hard reviews I got were from fanboy's who had just bought the tool they were "reviewing" and were pretty much just justifying their purchase.

This is the first place I've come across where the people who write the reviews also post in the forums. You are collectors who have used multiple tools from multiple makers, so you can make an informed review, and as (I'm assuming) you buy the tools mostly yourselves, your reviews are (relatively) unbiased, as opposed to "This tool is great because company X gave it to me for free with a shirt and cap".

Can I add that your forums are great? It's the only place I've seen where the moderators not only allow free discussion but participate in it? (hats off to Dev and the other admins) The participants here also friendly and show great respect for one another - people who prefer brand X as opposed to brand Y simply accept that those who prefer brand Y like brand Y, as opposed to flaming each other.

I think that all you need to do is keep doing what you're doing. You'll gain more people slowly. Tom's idea about adding more content regularly is a good one, but it will put more pressure on the keeper of this site (who I think is Dev?). I think that if you try some marketing ideas like free givaways, you may gain the numbers quickly, but lose the unique look and feel that you have now.

I think you should just keep doing what you're doing, IMO you're onto a winner  :D  :cheers:

Reply #9 on: December 10, 2007, 01:44:03 PM
Thanks for you comments mate, I'm sure Def and the rest us appreciate it :)

As for the tool review's, your right mate, they are honest, because sadly we have to buy them ourselves :D

With regard to the competions, feel free to enter any of them, because unless it's been stated otherwise, you've got as much right to enter from Oz as I have from the UK mate :)

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #10 on: December 10, 2007, 02:36:43 PM
Yup, that's me- Owner/Operator of Multitool.org and President & CEO of the No Life Club! :D

I've always wanted to amend that old saying to read "Those who can, do.  Those who can't, teach.  Those who can't teach, start a website and complain about everything!"  :ahhh

I'm glad that you like the site, and the unbiased reviews are very important to me.  I also got fed up with all the reviews I read being unerringly positive, as if each tool was "perfect" and nothing could ever replace it- at least not until next month when the next tool comes along and the next issue sees print.   :twak:  Some tools are good, and some aren't so good, but even the good ones have their ups and downs.  I have yet to find a completely worthless tool, and I've also yet to find a perfect tool.  And, like you said, what works for one may not work for another and I don't see any point in bashing one brand or another- unless it's Taylor Cutlery! :P

I have biases too, I just try not to let them show too much!

I do buy almost all of the tools I review.  Occasionally I will get one free from a manufacturer or at a discounted rate from a dealer, but it is with the understanding that I will pull no punches when reviewing it.  Many of these tools are quite pricey these days, especially for those living outside the US.  It's game over for us collectors since we are going to buy at least one of everything anyway, but for the person who just wants to research a single tool before handing over $100 to see if it's what he/she really wants or needs, they want to have all the real info.

And, in case anyone isn't aware of the policy, you are welcome to post any reviews you like in the Review section, or email them to me at grant.lamontagne@gmail.com and I'll see about posting them on the main site for future readers.  If there's already a review of a certain tool, that's ok too- Different people have different opinions and I think that's even better still!

Welcome to the forum!  I'm glad you like it!

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

us Offline WhichDawg

Reply #11 on: December 10, 2007, 03:55:39 PM
I don't know, I'm still liking the dancing girl idea...

us Offline WhichDawg

Reply #12 on: December 10, 2007, 04:57:29 PM
I have found that forums where you are welcomed by the members and the mods and admin seem to be the friendliest and most fun places.
Like here Defender and several of the mods really make you feel at home. I salute them and thank them  :drink:

Reply #13 on: December 10, 2007, 05:08:03 PM
I have found that forums where you are welcomed by the members and the mods and admin seem to be the friendliest and most fun places.
Like here Defender and several of the mods really make you feel at home. I salute them and thank them  :drink:
Keep your thanks, just send me toys :D :D

ph Offline duckman1975

• No Life Club
  • Naked without my multitool!
Reply #14 on: April 20, 2008, 01:16:27 AM
Hello first of all I really really like this site. I agree that a post that really gets you involve will really draw you in, but freebies won't hurt either  :D Another suggestion is to encourage people to post pictures nothing beats a good picture of a pimped up or a highly modefied multitool. By the way has anybody post a picture of a well built homemade multitool?
Multitools are the best thing that happened to mankind since the invention of the wheel!

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #15 on: April 20, 2008, 01:23:13 AM
Hello first of all I really really like this site. I agree that a post that really gets you involve will really draw you in, but freebies won't hurt either  :D Another suggestion is to encourage people to post pictures nothing beats a good picture of a pimped up or a highly modefied multitool. By the way has anybody post a picture of a well built homemade multitool?

That depends on your definition of "well built"......... ::) :D

In order to be certain of having the right tool for every job.........one must first acquire a lot of tools

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #16 on: April 20, 2008, 01:34:11 AM
We have given lots of stuff away in the past, but for some reason we've done very little recently.  There is something in the works though, so stay tuned!

Welcome to the Forum!

Def

ph Offline duckman1975

• No Life Club
Reply #17 on: April 20, 2008, 01:38:01 AM

(Image removed from quote.)

Almost pissed my pants laughting good one j-sew, but wheres the belt clip and the shealth? :D
Multitools are the best thing that happened to mankind since the invention of the wheel!

ph Offline duckman1975

• No Life Club
Reply #18 on: April 20, 2008, 01:39:14 AM
We have given lots of stuff away in the past, but for some reason we've done very little recently.  There is something in the works though, so stay tuned!

Welcome to the Forum!

Def

Thanks Def, will stay tuned.

Offline Leatherman123

Reply #19 on: April 20, 2008, 02:04:38 AM
I think video reviews would make people join. It is one thing to see pics but another to actually see the tool in hand etc..
B

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #20 on: April 20, 2008, 02:11:59 AM

Almost pissed my pants laughting good one j-sew, but wheres the belt clip and the shealth? :D

Actually that one was designed for lanyard carry. This more refined model shown below however would be perfect in a kydex sheath.  ;)

In order to be certain of having the right tool for every job.........one must first acquire a lot of tools

ph Offline duckman1975

• No Life Club
Reply #21 on: April 20, 2008, 02:28:09 AM

Hey thats not a bad idea, wish LM could squeeze in an adjustable wrench on the charge that would be very good.

Actually that one was designed for lanyard carry. This more refined model shown below however would be perfect in a kydex sheath.  ;)

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #22 on: April 20, 2008, 02:30:22 AM

Hey thats not a bad idea, wish LM could squeeze in an adjustable wrench on the charge that would be very good.

All you need is a welder and you can do it yourself!  :pok: :D

ph Offline duckman1975

• No Life Club
Reply #23 on: April 20, 2008, 03:32:02 AM
Hehehe just got an idea  :sak:

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD
39%