Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Suffering Postal Anxiety Syndrome

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
Suffering Postal Anxiety Syndrome
on: May 02, 2011, 12:26:52 AM
I think this has got to be one of the biggest hazards for a multitool fan - being driven to distraction wondering whereabouts that package is you are expecting - the sign of a true addict  :D

Let's face it, one of the things about multitools is they are a great control freak enabler. Something happens, you can deal with it. Something needs opening, fixing, cutting, tightening, and you're the guy that people come to because you're the guy with that "wierd tool thing" that can make everything better. Nothing else gives you that CAN DO attitude like a good MT or SAK and a good pocket torch/flashlight. The postie is still an uncontrolable force though, and no matter what you carry nothing can make that parcel appear quicker. You check your email and click the tracking link - to be told it left the sorting office three days ago ..... BUT WHERE IS IT NOW ???

I've got a LM Wave and SOG S61 coming to me from a couple of members here, and had them delivered to my work address ... because I knew I'd be there. Unfortunately my sister in law got rushed into hospital on Wednesday night (4 days ago), and the family dropped everything and went into response mode trying to rush round and keep things together for my brother and my now 8 day old niece. The majority of the day is being spent making sure that everything is just so - shifts being taken with the baby, taxiing relatives and supplies, trying to keep three households ticking over smoothly whilst addressing all the needs (physical and emotonal) of those most vulnerable. Then at the end of the day as things calm down you can afford a few moments to consider yourself and realise your new shiny things are probably sat at the office where you can't get at them ... or are they, and if not .... WHERE are they?

(BTW - as an aside, Sis out of danger zone now and hoping for discharge on Wednesday - I'm not quite addicted enough to post this if she was still hooked up to pipes, tubes and computer screens  :D)

Current crisis aside, I've had the same thing a few times recently. Surely I can't be the only one who is sad enough passionate about tools  :P to feel this way ...  :think: :angel:

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Armed with camera and not afraid to use it.
Re: Suffering Postal Anxiety Syndrome
Reply #1 on: May 02, 2011, 12:38:05 AM
Happy to hear your sister is doing better.

As for postal anxiety...sure. Nothing worse than having to wait an undetermined time for a package to clear Canada post customs. From what I can tell, they can hold a package indefinitely if they so choose.  :think: :rant:
A little Leatherman information.

Leatherman series articles

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #2 on: May 02, 2011, 01:08:28 AM
Totally sympathise mate I'm waiting for a SOG to arrive myself and, as it's coming from the US, I'm not exactly sure when it's likely to be here. :-\ 

Good to hear your sis is doing ok. :tu:
Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

us Offline ducktapehero

• No Life Club
  • Plants should be smoked, not eaten.
Reply #3 on: May 02, 2011, 03:03:08 PM
I'm glad your sister in law is doing better.

And yes, I suffer from postal anxiety syndrome occasionally too.  :ahhh
http://ducksrandomthoughts.blogspot.com - or follow me on Twitter- @ducksthoughts

It's hard to say nipple without smirking.

gb Offline Zed

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #4 on: May 02, 2011, 03:30:01 PM
 :ahhh  Me too, blooming holidays, yeah kids back to school tue  :ahhh   :ahhh    :ahhh  and possibly post  :D

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #5 on: May 02, 2011, 06:34:01 PM
What I've just realised is that without the instant gratification of buying in a shop or getting next day delivery, it's very easy to spend your budget twice.  In other words without the item in hand it's easy to forget you've already blow all your cash. :-\
Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

cs Offline edcgear

• No Life Club
Reply #6 on: May 02, 2011, 07:17:13 PM
Glad to hear for your sister! I'm all  :ahhh :ahhh :ahhh sitting on nails... Waiting five  :mail: :mail:

:ahhh :ahhh :ahhh :ahhh
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
There is method to my madness....
http://svakodnevnesitnice.blogspot.com/

us Offline Ashley

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • AKA Knife Crazied
Reply #7 on: May 03, 2011, 08:39:33 AM
I have the same condition but I think worse then you do. As in sometimes meeting the mail lady like a little kid who is awaiting a package. :D

gb Offline Zed

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #8 on: May 03, 2011, 12:52:35 PM
the worst thing for some reason i dont get post on a tue as well  :think: my postie told me this a while ago, i hope they do today due to being off fri- monday  >:(   :ahhh   :ahhh

gb Offline Zed

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #9 on: May 03, 2011, 12:57:57 PM
the worst thing for some reason i dont get post on a tue as well  :think: my postie told me this a while ago, i hope they do today due to being off fri- monday  >:(   :ahhh   :ahhh

scrub that i jut got mail  :ahhh  :mail:   >:(  3 letters one being a hospital appointment  :-\  oh well, there is always wed  ;)

gb Offline nuphoria

• Ambidangerous Mistress of Mod
  • Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not all bad, I'm just drawn that way.
Reply #10 on: May 03, 2011, 01:20:40 PM
I hear ya.... I never believe it's going to arrive!

A dyslexic man walks in to a bra...

All my music for free: http://soundcloud.com/chrissyvandyke

gb Offline Zed

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #11 on: May 03, 2011, 01:36:41 PM
I hear ya.... I never believe it's going to arrive!

ive no patience chrissy, this is why i generally send stuff myself quick as no how hard it is waiting, although i just checked the feedback on the guy sending me the folding hunter and they all say very quick delivery, i like that  :D

au Offline MultiMat

• The MTO handshake.
Reply #12 on: May 03, 2011, 01:37:43 PM
I have a 2 sided  :ahhh :ahhh :ahhh PAS , the first being golly it has been 14 days since postage  :think: :think: :think:,the second is the misses will intercept the parcel before me  :ahhh :ahhh :D :D.

Living down under I am used to parcels taking around 10-14 days to get here  :( :( :(

"Downunder Mod (that sounds dirty, doesn't it?)"
Yeh Baby :P >:D >:D

gb Offline Zed

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #13 on: May 03, 2011, 01:43:30 PM
I have a 2 sided  :ahhh :ahhh :ahhh PAS , the first being golly it has been 14 days since postage  :think: :think: :think:,the second is the misses will intercept the parcel before me  :ahhh :ahhh :D :D.

Living down under I am used to parcels taking around 10-14 days to get here  :( :( :(

:rofl: i have the same problem mate, monday is ok as is thur and fir, but sat-wed-and sometimes tue a big no no as i have to try and intercept the postie down the road  :D  :ahhh  so looks like wed for me now and im working tonight  :think:  this could be a mission impossible  :ahhh

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #14 on: May 03, 2011, 01:44:37 PM
Cheers guys - doesn't look like like Sister-in-law is coming out tomorrow unfortunately. More hoops to jump through before we get her back. Things are much more stable at the moment though so I've gone back to work.

But on a happier note one of the parcels has arrived, and I now have my first full size Leatherman which went straight in my pocket and was used within the first 30 mins of being unboxed. I'll have a closer look at it this evening when I get back, but it looks like this could be a dedicated work tool. The Wave has less tool options than I'm used to - but having a clip does make it easier to tote round without having a belt sheath (snag hazard for me at work)

There is an ulterior motive to me having deliveries sent to work you know ...  :P :angel:

gb Offline Zed

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #15 on: May 03, 2011, 01:50:15 PM
Cheers guys - doesn't look like like Sister-in-law is coming out tomorrow unfortunately. More hoops to jump through before we get her back. Things are much more stable at the moment though so I've gone back to work.

But on a happier note one of the parcels has arrived, and I now have my first full size Leatherman which went straight in my pocket and was used within the first 30 mins of being unboxed. I'll have a closer look at it this evening when I get back, but it looks like this could be a dedicated work tool. The Wave has less tool options than I'm used to - but having a clip does make it easier to tote round without having a belt sheath (snag hazard for me at work)

There is an ulterior motive to me having deliveries sent to work you know ...  :P :angel:

nice one mate, wave has less tool options  :think:   :D

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #16 on: May 03, 2011, 02:04:04 PM

... I'm used to carrying a Swisstool CS Plus  :D

gb Offline Zed

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #17 on: May 03, 2011, 02:26:40 PM

... I'm used to carrying a Swisstool CS Plus  :D

just mod the bit driver for a with a reamer punch and extension etc etc , think ive got most these covered on my wave other than a reamer puch but dont use one so no loss  :D

au Offline MultiMat

• The MTO handshake.
Reply #18 on: May 03, 2011, 02:46:10 PM

First of , great news the sis in law is coming good + bubs need their mums especially in those early days/months.I felt so useless at times when my 2 lads were new babies  :( :(.
Second mate , you now have a OHO MT blade & that diamond file  8) 8) 8) 8) 8).
Third I so wish I could get my parcels delivered at work BUT I work at a hospital were patients often get lost , never mind parcels  :P :ahhh :ahhh :D :D :D

gb Offline Zed

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #19 on: May 03, 2011, 02:50:09 PM

First of , great news the sis in law is coming good + bubs need their mums especially in those early days/months.I felt so useless at times when my 2 lads were new babies  :( :(.
Third I so wish I could get my parcels delivered at work BUT I work at a hospital were patients often get lost , never mind parcels  :P :ahhh :ahhh :D :D :D

:rofl: i work with elderly with dementia mat so imagine them with these tools  :ahhh   :ahhh   :D but my missis is the dep manager where i work so no good going there anyway  ::)

au Offline MultiMat

• The MTO handshake.
Reply #20 on: May 03, 2011, 02:56:23 PM

:rofl: i work with elderly with dementia mat so imagine them with these tools  :ahhh   :ahhh   :D but my missis is the dep manager where i work so no good going there anyway  ::)

When I was training I worked in a Nursing home & there was a old farmer there & when he wasn't peeing in the cutlery draw  :ahhh :ahhh :ahhh :D he could be found under his bed 'Laurie what you doing mate' me 'I am working on the tractor!!!!' Laurie  :D :D :D. Reckon Laurie would of liked a MT  :think: :D :D

gb Offline Zed

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #21 on: May 03, 2011, 03:01:51 PM

When I was training I worked in a Nursing home & there was a old farmer there & when he wasn't peeing in the cutlery draw  :ahhh :ahhh :ahhh :D he could be found under his bed 'Laurie what you doing mate' me 'I am working on the tractor!!!!' Laurie  :D :D :D. Reckon Laurie would of liked a MT  :think: :D :D

:rofl:   peeing i dont mind its other stuff  :ahhh  i hope for no poo tonight  ;) 

hr Offline enki_ck

• Global Moderator
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • I may get older but I refuse to grow up.
Reply #22 on: May 03, 2011, 06:11:04 PM
I have terrible PAS at then moment as my box full of goodies (8 SAKs and a LM) is sitting at the customs office since thursday. :ahhh I think they are playing with them and my nerves too. :rant:

cs Offline edcgear

• No Life Club
Reply #23 on: May 03, 2011, 08:05:45 PM
enki_ck how are things with customs in Cro? Here awfull, real regular PITA!!!  :rant: :rant:
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

hr Offline enki_ck

• Global Moderator
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • I may get older but I refuse to grow up.
Reply #24 on: May 03, 2011, 08:44:58 PM
enki_ck how are things with customs in Cro? Here awfull, real regular PITA!!!  :rant: :rant:

For postal import you can import up to $30 free, $60 if it's a gift, for anything more than that you have to pay PRICE x 10% CUSTOMS (sometimes more) x 23% VAT so 35% of the value of an item plus an extra $5 for the postman to take your money and bring it to them. The problem is sometimes they eyeball the price, and charge you what they believe it should be, not the value on the recipient. I got a letter from them on Thursday they wanted to see the recipient and I should fax it to them, which I did and they said it would most probably arrive the next day, so Friday. Still nothing. I did receive one package on Monday (flashlight + SRM 710) and two today (holster and laptop battery for my eeePC 1000HG - love that thing) but still no :climber:
 The thing is the customs office is a 10 minute drive from me, but they won't let me pick up my package, "they have to send it by post" :ahhh

On the other hand packages often slip under their radar, sometimes you get lucky. I got a surge, skeletool cx, wave, supertool 300, ... all items above the $60 mark without paying any customs fees. They did hit me with a $30 bill for a $60 quark flashlight though.

P.S. this post would have been a lot easier "po naški". :D
« Last Edit: May 03, 2011, 08:47:40 PM by enki_ck »

cs Offline edcgear

• No Life Club
Reply #25 on: May 03, 2011, 08:51:41 PM
"po naški"  :D :D :D :tu:

Yep, same thing here, though we have 18% VAT not 23, but overall same...
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #26 on: May 03, 2011, 10:56:13 PM

1) Cheers mate, couldn't agree more ... although it has meant I got plenty of time with my little niece. She's been a little star throughout the whole fiasco. UPDATE - She's out!! MASSIVE RELIEF for everyone - Consultants saw her earlier today, and whilst she will be under long term care and medication (possibly lifelong) at least she is back home where she belongs with her husband and daughter.
2) Yeah - I'm thinking about posting my initial thoughts after first couple of days - I know I'm probably one of very people few on here that never held a full size LM before, but reckon a noobs views can't hurt
3) HA HA HA - Yes I'm lucky in that respect - although being able to order freely without scrutiny doesn't do the bank account any favours. Picking up on Gareths point earlier, I also try to limit myself to one "order" at at time to avoid the "oh smurf - look what I did" feeling when you sit there looking at a huge pile of goodies on the table next to a very sorry bank statement. I say try to do one order at a time - doesn't always work though. But I bet I'm not the only one suffering that little foible either

:oops:

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #27 on: May 03, 2011, 10:57:21 PM
Still waiting on the SOG though  :ahhh :ahhh :ahhh :ahhh

au Offline MultiMat

• The MTO handshake.
Reply #28 on: May 04, 2011, 09:54:25 AM
Great news on the sis in-law  8) 8) 8). It is a great thing that the wee one sounds like she is a accommodating little thing  :o :D.

Got home from work & I spy  2 parcels on the table  8) 8) :gimme: :gimme: :D :D :D.

Both for the misses  :o ??? :( :( :( :( :( :D :D.

On the plus side I now have parcel credits  :P :D :D
« Last Edit: May 04, 2011, 09:58:20 AM by MultiMat »

gb Offline Zed

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #29 on: May 04, 2011, 10:01:32 AM
dilema, been up since 5am tue, worked 12 hours last night  :-\  wife off today, now i wonder if everything will turn up today  :ahhh  :ahhh  ill wake up later with the wife giving that whats all this then  ::)    :ahhh   :ahhh   :D

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD
48%