Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Gerber Multi Plier Compact Sport 400

Hobit · 24 · 6336

Offline Hobit

Gerber Multi Plier Compact Sport 400
on: November 25, 2010, 03:24:19 PM
Hi guys

Today I recieved my Gerber and I have to say I'm disappointed. I already own a LM Wave and this is the first Gerber I've owned. I've always thought that Gerber were a decent make of multitool but mine doesn't seem to live up to this. On the whole it seems to be fine, but there are a couple of issues I'd like to point out.

Number 1 is the blade. It really doesn't seem right to me. When I first got my Wave it was as sharp as anything. With this, the blade isn't straight and is bumpy along it, if that makes sense? If this is intentional to make it more rugged to cut better, please say and I'll withdraw my comment, but my understanding is that a blade should be 'clean' sharp?

The second is the closing of the pliers. When it's nearly closed, you need to then apply more force to get them to close all the way, as if something's stopping them from closing. The same is true when I retract the pliers inside the multitool: the pliers are slightly open till I 'click' the pliers closed. Without doing this, it is difficult to get the pliers to deploy with a flick. I'm sure that the pliers aren't supplosed to do this, and is very annoying.

Have I just had a bad experiance, and am an exception to the rule that Gerber make high quality products? Or is this a regular occurance? I'm in Derby UK if anyone wants to take a look!! :P

On another note, I really don't like the sheath, it's far too big for the tool in my opinion, and isn't "Compact" on your belt. Is there some  where I can get a smaller sheath for it, more in line with the leather Leatherman sheaths?

Thanks for taking the time to read,
Hobit

scotland Offline Nikos

• No Life Club
  • Why is it doing that?
Re: Gerber Multi Plier Compact Sport 400
Reply #1 on: November 25, 2010, 06:48:44 PM
Have I just had a bad experiance, and am an exception to the rule that Gerber make high quality products? Or is this a regular occurance? I'm in Derby UK if anyone wants to take a look!! :P

WRT the pliers, sounds like you got a lemon mate (some photos would help). I used to have an MP400 CS and apart from the rattling, pinching, inside opening tools, and occasional rust specks on the handles, it was a great MT of high quality. Warranty should sort you out. Note that the pliers don't close all the way when retracted, but they should close just fine when in the open position.

WRT the blade, what do you mean by "bumpy along it"? If it's anything similar to this:

then that's normal as the MP400CS comes with a "combo-edge" blade (i.e., having both straight and serrated sections).

On another note, I really don't like the sheath, it's far too big for the tool in my opinion, and isn't "Compact" on your belt. Is there some  where I can get a smaller sheath for it, more in line with the leather Leatherman sheaths?

Do you happen to have a pic of that sheath? Mine was pretty compact iirc... My only strife was it could only be worn vertically.

ca Offline jekostas

• No Life Club
Reply #2 on: November 26, 2010, 06:46:15 AM
WRT the pliers, sounds like you got a lemon mate (some photos would help). I used to have an MP400 CS and apart from the rattling, pinching, inside opening tools, and occasional rust specks on the handles, it was a great MT of high quality. Warranty should sort you out. Note that the pliers don't close all the way when retracted, but they should close just fine when in the open position.

That's quite a few conditions...

Offline Hobit

Reply #3 on: November 26, 2010, 03:20:15 PM
Unfotunatly the camera on my phone (the only camera I have!) doesn't pick it up very wll. WRT the blade I don't mean the serated blade, I mean that along the "straight" part of the blade it is deformed and slightly bumpy, "gritty" perhaps being a better word?

WRT the pliers being open, it is that they do not close properly in the open position without me applying a large amount of pressure to the pliers to close them. If they aren't in the fully closed position, the pliers won't flick out, though it seems that when I flick the pliers out using centripetal force (as described in the manual), the pliers open a little bit during the sliding up of the pliers and get stuck so don't go out anyway, without excessive use of the motion multiple times.

To me it sounds like the product is faulty, and shall return it. I'm undecided whether to get a replacement or whether to stick to leatherman, we shall see.... Thanks for the great replies so far!! :)

scotland Offline Nikos

• No Life Club
  • Why is it doing that?
Reply #4 on: November 26, 2010, 05:16:29 PM

That's quite a few conditions...

Indeed... :D but the rattling, pinching, and inside opening tools are all artifacts of the sliding pliers design of the time, and not an example of bad quality. Rust specks are a result of the combination of the bead-blasted-like finish on the handles and a salty environment; and caring for your tool will inhibit their appearance in the first place. Compared to later Gerbers (such as the Suspension and friends), this is indeed a high quality tool. :)

@Hobit: If you got the tool second-hand, the condition of the blade and pliers could be signs of abuse by the previous owner. However, if they came like that from the factory, then you surely got a lemon and should return it.

Offline Hobit

Reply #5 on: November 26, 2010, 06:52:51 PM
Yes, was bought new, not second hand. Amazon (who I purchased it from) didn't offer a replacement, but instead a refund. I may try Gerber later down the line, but for now I think I'll try with Leatherman!

us Offline Pacu

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #6 on: November 26, 2010, 08:10:32 PM
They do rust in a heartbeat don't they...my first multi..the 600 i used for fishing (fresh and salt)..always left it in the tackle box..has some rust battle scars. The 400 i carried in scouts i took better care of and has a couple of specks here and there. The rattle i can deal with as the one handed opening was thumbs up...pre-wave times. In my opinion the 400 and 600 are still the best Gerber made multis out there. Solid and dependable..sure there are way better designs by other makers.

the 600's bit kit would rust in a desert i believe ::)

:like:    :MTO:

au Offline MultiMat

• The MTO handshake.
Reply #7 on: November 27, 2010, 03:24:32 AM
Do I post a photo of my 'new' 400 corkscrew's factory fresh blade edge  :think: >:( >:( >:(. I have posted pics of my 400's blade edge in another post.

I think this blade is a magical 'stealth' blade as I have no idea how this got through Gerber's QC  ??? ??? ???. Is it a blade edge or a basttard file  :think: :P :P :P

"Downunder Mod (that sounds dirty, doesn't it?)"
Yeh Baby :P >:D >:D

us Offline Pacu

Reply #8 on: November 27, 2010, 03:36:10 AM
looks like it was sharpened by dragging it down the sidewalk :P
:like:    :MTO:

au Offline MultiMat

• The MTO handshake.
Reply #9 on: November 27, 2010, 05:16:21 AM
looks like it was sharpened by dragging it down the sidewalk :P
A extremely rough & uneven sidewalk at that  :D :D

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Armed with camera and not afraid to use it.
Reply #10 on: November 27, 2010, 01:28:05 PM
Now now...that is just Gerber's new technology to increase cutting surface.  :rofl:
A little Leatherman information.

Leatherman series articles

scotland Offline Nikos

• No Life Club
  • Why is it doing that?
Reply #11 on: November 29, 2010, 11:28:14 AM
No no no, you got it all wrong. It's called microserrations and is created by sharpening with a coarse-grain stone. You get the pros of serrated edges in a plain-edge configuration...

... only that in this case those microserrations need some sharpening... :P

england Offline Dunc

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Aggressive in defence
Reply #12 on: December 03, 2010, 07:31:48 PM
I've had New Gerbers with blades like that . A few strokes on a Sharpmaker and I forgot all about it .

Dunc

au Offline MultiMat

• The MTO handshake.
Reply #13 on: December 04, 2010, 12:56:05 AM
I've had New Gerbers with blades like that . A few strokes on a Sharpmaker and I forgot all about it .

Dunc

I do not know what is more surprising Dunc,  a) you have been 'blessed' with a Gerber custom edge as well or , b) you reckon it only takes "a few strokes on a Sharpmaker" to fix.  :o :o.

I am currently enduring a Love/Hate thing with my Sharpmaker   :(. Thin blades good thick blades bad  ???.   

england Offline Benner

• Global Tuffy
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • Just Awesome! And a Slayer of Polar Bear!
Reply #14 on: December 04, 2010, 09:39:35 PM
I have a similar relationship with my SM.  It either works in seconds, or gets you absolutely nowhere.

BTW, NO blade should look that awful, even if it may only be a simple fix.

Oh Gerber where did it all go wrong?  I am very fast joining the group I have argued against in the past - the "would never buy a Gerber" group.  Apart from the appalling drivers, these quality issues are just pants. 
I'm back!!

spam Offline scrappy

• Turd Bucket
  • No Life Club
Reply #15 on: December 07, 2010, 02:07:50 AM
My flick looked like that but it cleans up.

us Offline Mercury

• Admin Team
  • Wearer of the Cloak of Band-aye-eed.
Reply #16 on: January 03, 2011, 05:23:57 AM
I just got the MP450 for christmas and apart from the fact that the plier tip sticks out in the closed position, I am really quite pleased with the tool.  I do agree that the sheath sucks, mine appears to be a good half inch too wide for the tool and it is quite clunky on the belt.

england Offline Dunc

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Aggressive in defence
Reply #17 on: January 03, 2011, 09:38:27 AM
How do you find the Scissors ? I owned one of these for a short time back in the Autumn and sold it on because the scissors were not very good .

Dunc

us Offline Mercury

• Admin Team
Reply #18 on: January 03, 2011, 10:26:08 PM
The 450 doesn't have scissors, it's just the same size as the 400.  I have never liked Gerber scissors though.

england Offline Dunc

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Aggressive in defence
Reply #19 on: January 03, 2011, 10:32:49 PM
The 450 doesn't have scissors, it's just the same size as the 400.  I have never liked Gerber scissors though.

Cheers for the info  :tu:  What does it have instead of the scissors ?

Dunc

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #20 on: January 04, 2011, 12:36:46 AM
Happily my new MP600 was OK.  While it did have a bit of a burr on it, it was no worse than how many other blades come new.
Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

spam Offline scrappy

• Turd Bucket
  • No Life Club
Reply #21 on: January 04, 2011, 01:42:52 AM

Dunc
It has a file

ca Offline jekostas

• No Life Club
Reply #22 on: January 04, 2011, 03:11:35 AM
How do you find the Scissors ? I owned one of these for a short time back in the Autumn and sold it on because the scissors were not very good .

Dunc

Not good.  They cut well enough, but if you're cutting anything heavy or for longer periods of time the scissors don't have a thumb pad - they dig in to your thumb rather uncomfortably.

us Offline Mercury

• Admin Team
Reply #23 on: January 04, 2011, 07:50:25 AM

Dunc
It has a file

Not a bad file either IMO.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
May Goal: $300.00
Due Date: May 31
Total Receipts: $77.16
PayPal Fees: $3.91
Net Balance: $73.25