Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Armies who issue SAK's/Swiss Tools to their troops...

Guardian · 126 · 31757

england Offline Guardian

• Unless
Ok guys and gals, lets have a list of countries that issue/have issued SAKS/Swiss Tools!!!

So to start.........

1. Current Swiss Soldatenmesser 2008 (Trekker with new two tone scales)
2. Current German 2003 (Trekker with green scales and German forces logo)
3. Dutch 1993 (Centurion with green scales and Dutch forces logo)
4. Current Dutch 2010 (Dual Pro X with green scales and Dutch forces logo).

"Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, nothing is going to get better. It's not."
― Dr. Seuss, The Lorax

au Offline MultiMat

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • The MTO handshake.
Re: Armies who issue SAK's/Swiss Tools to their troops...
Reply #1 on: May 13, 2011, 02:35:19 PM
5. Australian Army BO Swisstool.late 1990's - 2011(replaced by Schrade Tough Tool)

"Downunder Mod (that sounds dirty, doesn't it?)"
Yeh Baby :P >:D >:D

ie Offline LooseNut

Reply #2 on: May 13, 2011, 10:33:26 PM
Duder, where did you get the information about trekkers in the Irish Army as i've never heard of them?
Any photos maybe?

Cheers.
Fatherly advice;
Never take a laxative and a sleeping pill in the same night....

de Offline duder

Reply #3 on: May 13, 2011, 11:29:58 PM
After I found one I got confirmation from Vic. It seems they are not easy to find, maybe only parts of the army were issued this knife.  :cheers:
Irish Soldier Knife.JPG
* Irish Soldier Knife.JPG (Filesize: 106.81 KB)

ni-ulster Offline cerbera147

• No Life Club
Reply #4 on: May 14, 2011, 10:59:48 AM
I asked around in a few places in Ireland including Petersons; sadly no one had seen it before  :-\

Offline Styerman

• No Life Club
Reply #5 on: May 14, 2011, 05:42:51 PM
Vic. has been working on a deal with the Indian Army - that would be a huge sale if it eventuates .

Chris

us Offline bren10man

Reply #6 on: May 15, 2011, 06:26:12 PM
Not official issue, but they sell Victorninox SAKs and Tools in our Post/Base Exchanges, lots of American GI's (to include myself) use Victorinox products.

I was recently issued (twice) a Gerber 600 series in BO multitool.  I am not going to use it; will use SOG Power Plier EOD in BO for my upcoming visit to Mesopotamia.....along with 2008 SAK issue and Champion. 

This will be an interesting list once complete!!!

MOLON LABE!

england Offline Guardian

• Unless
Reply #7 on: May 15, 2011, 10:29:10 PM
here's some more!!!

RAF survival knife 1990's (Hunter with red handle and engraving on blade and lettering on scales)

Canadian Civil Defence 1990's? (Centurion with lettering on handle)

Croatian Military Police 1980/90's? (108mm Trooper with HV VOJNA POLICIJA engraved on handles)

Duder, do you have a picture of the Luxembourg Forester please?
"Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, nothing is going to get better. It's not."
― Dr. Seuss, The Lorax

Offline Styerman

• No Life Club
Reply #8 on: May 16, 2011, 02:15:33 AM
The Dutch Air Force and Navy pilots were at one time issued a Craftsman with smooth blue alox scales .

What about Latin american countries ?

Chris

us Offline cannonball

Reply #9 on: May 16, 2011, 03:23:57 AM
I've seen NATO marked 108mm Tropers on ebay.

de Offline duder

Reply #10 on: May 16, 2011, 08:53:32 AM
From what I know Victorinox makes a distinction between "official" soldier knives which are ordered through their "authority" department and other knives which are ordered through their advertisement department (which can also be in use by military or police forces).
The knives I have mentioned were ordered from the authority department and I have been told that knives like the RAF Hunter or the Dutch Airforce Craftsman were ordered otherwise in Ibach although the are definitely used by military forces.
Sometimes military or police forces get their knives from Victorinox representations in foreign countries and these may get a print localy. In these cases Ibach is often not even aware of these knives.
For my collection I categorize the knives in "official" soldier knives (the ones I know they were ordered in Ibach through the authority department), military/police knives (knives ordered otherwise but definitely in official military use) and other knives (with military/police prints or emblems).

Among the "official" soldier knives the Luxembourg knife is probably the one which is produced in lowest quantity (about 2500 pcs); Luxembourg is a small country with a very small army.
Luxemburg Soldier Knife - Kopie.JPG
* Luxemburg Soldier Knife - Kopie.JPG (Filesize: 100.86 KB)

england Offline Guardian

• Unless
Reply #11 on: May 17, 2011, 10:36:28 PM
Thanks Duder, great picture  :drool: So what SAKS have you got in your 'knives ordered otherwise but definitely in official military use' collection  :)
― Dr. Seuss, The Lorax

de Offline duder

Reply #12 on: May 17, 2011, 11:42:10 PM
Actually only 2 models that fall into this category: 4 different versions of the Dutch Airforce Craftsman and 2 RAF Hunter (one with older 4-line stamp, one with newer Swissmade-stamp).
It`s very difficult to find reliable informations about such knives, that`s why I mainly concentrate on the "official" soldier knives.
When I contacted Victorinox about the Dutch Airforce knife (the old alox version) they did not even recognise their own knife at first. It took a while before they found some infos about it. And even than the infos are not complete most times.

Craftsman 1 - Kopie.JPG
* Craftsman 1 - Kopie.JPG (Filesize: 85.76 KB)
Craftsman 2 - Kopie.JPG
* Craftsman 2 - Kopie.JPG (Filesize: 95.95 KB)

ie Offline LooseNut

Reply #13 on: May 18, 2011, 10:06:59 AM
After I found one I got confirmation from Vic. It seems they are not easy to find, maybe only parts of the army were issued this knife.  :cheers:

Thanks for posting this, never heard of that model at all despite having relatives who were in the PDF and being a reservist. It might interest some that either a leatherman or a SAK are recommended kit for private purchase though.
Cheers.
Fatherly advice;
Never take a laxative and a sleeping pill in the same night....

Offline Jack Russell

Reply #14 on: May 18, 2011, 09:41:01 PM
My understanding is that the RAF Hunter is not issued to an individual Airman
 it is part of the aircraft survival kit. If on routine inspection/service it has dissappeared! then a new oned is issued from stores the packaging removed and it is replaced in the kit.
If you Have one In a box with paperwork It may have come from the stores if without it may have come from the Aircraft.

england Offline Dunc

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Aggressive in defence
Reply #15 on: May 19, 2011, 09:35:31 AM
5. Australian Army BO Swisstool.late 1990's - 2011(replaced by Schrade Tough Tool)

Great thread but I'm sad to read this  :( I know you were concerned about the schrade but is it definite ?

us Offline ICanFixThat

• No Life Club
Reply #16 on: May 19, 2011, 04:37:15 PM
Here is one from the Lithuanian army, apparantly produced in 1994.  According to Duder it was not purchased through the military authority department, so it was likely done through their advertising department.  I don't have any information on how or to whom in the army it was issued.  Any information anyone can provide would be great.

au Offline MultiMat

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • The MTO handshake.
Reply #17 on: May 19, 2011, 05:06:03 PM

Great thread but I'm sad to read this  :( I know you were concerned about the schrade but is it definite ?

Fairly sure Dunc  :( :( :(. There is a Military marked(I think it has a MSN +'Australian Defence Force' on the pliers) Schrade MT being issued to Australian Army personnel & I would think it unlikely that a service as small as the ADF(Australian Defence Forces) would have more than one supplier of MTs  :think: :think:. + the Defence budget has had significant cuts so it has come down to a cost cutting exercise  >:( >:( >:(.

I am trying to pries Sea Monster's Aussie Army issue Schrade(Poorade) Tough Tool from his grasp.

"Downunder Mod (that sounds dirty, doesn't it?)"
Yeh Baby :P >:D >:D

za Offline ?eter

Reply #18 on: May 20, 2011, 09:40:40 AM
Other than the Swiss Army, has Wenger ever supplied knives for military contracts?

at Offline Woz

• No Life Club
Reply #19 on: May 20, 2011, 09:55:14 AM
IIRC they made some of the older German GAK. Germany has more than one supplier, almost the same knife was made by Victorinox, Wenger, Klaas, Miltec and others.
edc-reviews.blogspot.com

scotland Offline Sea Monster

• No Life Club
Reply #20 on: May 20, 2011, 09:58:25 AM

Fairly sure Dunc  :( :( :(. There is a Military marked(I think it has a MSN +'Australian Defence Force' on the pliers) Schrade MT being issued to Australian Army personnel & I would think it unlikely that a service as small as the ADF(Australian Defence Forces) would have more than one supplier of MTs  :think: :think:. + the Defence budget has had significant cuts so it has come down to a cost cutting exercise  >:( >:( >:(.

I am trying to pries Sea Monster's Aussie Army issue Schrade(Poorade) Tough Tool from his grasp.

The Schrade tool definitely exists, as I have one. The "why/where/when" of it's issue, I am unsure of.

(For anyone in Australia - THIS IS WHAT HAPPENS WHEN YOU VOTE LABOR!)

Back on topic, I have a Dutch army knife.

Basically a Trekker with green scales and the Dutch army insignia molded into it.

I've seen pictures of a newer one with OH and Vics Forward-half combo blade.

england Offline Guardian

• Unless
Reply #21 on: May 22, 2011, 07:34:03 PM
and just so i can show off one of my photos, here is a RAF Hunter as part of the contents of the Personal Survival Pack found in pilots seats...
Personal Survival Pack22.jpg
* Personal Survival Pack22.jpg (Filesize: 115.65 KB)
― Dr. Seuss, The Lorax

de Offline duder

Reply #22 on: May 22, 2011, 07:42:14 PM
Thanks for the foto ! Very interesting !  :tu:
Do you know what`s written on the orange sign above the knife ? Knife Hunter... ?

england Offline Guardian

• Unless
Reply #23 on: May 22, 2011, 08:14:44 PM
a close in view for your enjoyment  ;)
RAF Hunter Survival Knife 22.jpg
* RAF Hunter Survival Knife 22.jpg (Filesize: 93.99 KB)
― Dr. Seuss, The Lorax

de Offline duder

Reply #24 on: May 22, 2011, 09:22:56 PM
Thanks a lot !  :salute:
So it seems the knife is part of 3 different packs. Is there more detailed information about these packs on the big orange sign on top of the board ?  ::)

england Offline Guardian

• Unless
Reply #25 on: May 22, 2011, 09:59:03 PM
It says; Survial Aids Personal Survival Packs (PSP's) Seaking (HA), Lynx (HE), Hawk (Z Pack), BA Mk3 (Back Pack).

I do know that these packs were made by a company called Survival Aids Ltd which stopped making them in 1995.
The RAF Hunters were manufactured at least until November 2005, as i have seen one with a production date as this,
― Dr. Seuss, The Lorax

de Offline duder

Reply #26 on: May 22, 2011, 10:20:00 PM
So the knife was part of the survival pack in 3 different helicopters, very interesting !
A longer time ago I had asked Vic when these RAF Hunters were produced and they replied in 1995. But that cannot be the whole truth, obviously. Here is a foto of my 2 knives (the older one on top). The "Swissmade" stamp of the newer one is used since 2005.
2 RAF Hunter - Kopie.JPG
* 2 RAF Hunter - Kopie.JPG (Filesize: 121.05 KB)

Offline Styerman

• No Life Club
Reply #27 on: May 23, 2011, 04:24:54 PM
The swiss issue a BO Spirit with det cap crimpers to at least some of their troops .

Chris

england Offline Guardian

• Unless
Reply #28 on: May 26, 2011, 09:49:32 PM
Duder, do you know how GAK's come packed for the Bundeswehr? Do they come in a box or plastic packaging as for the Dutch Armies DAK's? Do they have a leaflet? Just interested :)
― Dr. Seuss, The Lorax

de Offline duder

Reply #29 on: May 26, 2011, 10:46:52 PM
Good question  :think:  , unfortunately I don`t know how they are packed for the Bundeswehr. I only know that the old 108mm GAKs came in green sleeves, without leaflets (as far as I know).
old GAK sleeve.JPG
* old GAK sleeve.JPG (Filesize: 79.75 KB)

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD
39%