Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Need Advice in Which Leatherman to Buy..Surge or Charge tti?

Offline doggydog

Hey everyone,

I'm a carpenter apprentice and looking around for a perfect multitool to use for my trade that can also be a useful EDC.  I'm divided between a Leatherman Surge and a Charge tti.  Saw a video on youtube by this guy that did a test comparison of the two multitool and he seems to favor the Surge.  Check out his video and tell me if his advice was good or not?

Test Comparision: Leatherman Surge (camo) vs Charge tti

gb Offline Zed

• Zombie Apprentice
st300  :D  welcome to the forum,  :tu:

us Offline airballrad

• Gadget Addict
I have the TTi. A friend has the Surge. I like both, although the Charge isn't really much more than a glorified Wave.

My observation is that those in the trades tend to prefer the larger tools (Surge, Core, Super Tool line).

us Offline Pacu

• Absolutely No Life Club
id go tti...

i work construction/electrical/AV at my work...tried the big tools..swisstool, surge, supertools.  They were a tad to heavy on my belt but a wave is perfect mix of everything. Handy when you need it, light not to notice, and quick deploying blade. TTI is an upscale wave. Thing i had to break myself of is using my wave instead of the proper tool needed for the job. Linesman pliers vs Wave, hammer vs wave, proper number 3 driver vs wave. Multis have their time and place too. :D

think a charge is next on my list as a workhorse/user
:like:    :MTO:

hr Offline enki_ck

• Global Moderator
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • I may get older but I refuse to grow up.
I had a Surge and now use the Wave, which is as very much like the charge. The tools on them are preaty much the same, so size/weight and toughness is the only difference. The surge with the bit kit and the sheath is almost a pound, not exactly a light tool. But I often regret not having the surge anymore when it comes to the heavier tasks cause it's much more of a tool than the wave/charge is. Stronger pliers, bigger blades, the best scissors on any multitool, ... Will eventually have to get another one. I sold it just because the offer was hard to refuse (paid $65 for it sold it for $105 a year and a half later :D ) I think it's better than the ST300 cause of the one hand opening blades, so handy when you're holding something you need to cut. The plus on the ST300 are the much longer and stronger screwdrivers, especially the phillips.  My vote goes for the Surge though.  :tu:
« Last Edit: May 13, 2011, 08:35:17 PM by enki_ck »

gb Offline Malarauko

I'd say go for the ST300 if your a carpenter. And then maybe get a Swiss Army Knife to get some scissors. But if you have to choose between Surge and Charge i'd say Surge.

dk Offline AHB

• Keeper Of The PowerCut
  • Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Don't mistake lack of talent for genius.
Here's something to help you decide: Charge Owners club!   ;) :D

scotland Offline Sea Monster

• No Life Club
I don't have a charge, but I have had a Wave (same thing, less fancy), and I still have a Surge.

I'd recommend the Charge if money is not the issue.

Or, if you want big, tough and ugly - the new Supertool.

Supertools are the name in tough tools, and they've got the coveted awl.

but for more of your "incidental" cutting, gripping, sawing or filing, the Charge should do just nicely.

I'm not convinced that the extra mass of the Surge is proportional to it's effectiveness.

Most tradies (metal workers, locksmiths, etc) I know carry the Charge for preference.

us Offline ducttapetech

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over.
Surge, turbo charged tti with an awl.
Nate

SEND IT!

us Offline asupernothing

• The best way to predict the future is to create it
ST300. The pliers head on that is the best for hard use. I actually prefer to have no outside opening blades now. (this week, as it was a requirement last week.
If you carry a standalone knife, I would go ST300. Aside from that I loved my Charge (till I broke it...). Currently I am carrying a Surge since both the Charge and Surge are KO'd for now.

To be perfectly honest all are good tools, with the charge being my favorite (till I broke it).

As a carpenter what tools on the multi do you see yourself using most often? When I was doing a lot of plumbing repair work I like having the Charge ALX because of the dual bit drivers. I didn't need scissors, do you?

The pliers head on the ST300 has a replaceable wire cutter, which I really liked.

Then again this is MTO so:

Buy them both!
(insert witty quote)

spam Offline scrappy

• Turd Bucket
  • No Life Club
The charge pliers open wider

us Offline David

Of the tools you`ve named   :think:  I`d go with the TTi.  :)  I just cant get on with the SURGE for some reason.  :-\  I carry a ST300 at work.    :D
What? Enablers! Are you serrrrious? Where? I dont see any.
Hold Fast

ph Offline Teofilo

• No Life Club
 Welcome to the forum doggydog! :cheers:
If weight is not an issue, I'll go with the Surge. The Surge's pliers are stronger compared with the TTi (with crimper) specially when pulling big or stuck nails. Check out also the ST300, another LM's heavy duty tool.
 The Charge TTi for me is a flashy tool with slabs of titanium attached to the handles and a bit pricey. Actually I alternately edc it with  another tool.

us Offline Mercury

• Admin Team
  • Wearer of the Cloak of Band-aye-eed.
st300  :D  welcome to the forum,  :tu:

This is why you will lose all your money, because we suggest a 3rd MT that you hadn't thought of yet, so you will most likely end up with all 3 at some point!

us Offline Mercury

• Admin Team
  • Wearer of the Cloak of Band-aye-eed.
Really though, they are both great, it just depends on the amount of weight you are willing to carry.  If you don't mind carrying a bucket of cement on a daily basis, then the surge won't weigh you down a bit.  If that bothers you, the TTi is a(not that much) lighter version and it is a little shorter.  Both tools will net you about the same in utility, with the exception of the Surge's natural ability to demolish sidewalks when dropped.

il Offline Threeme2189

• No Life Club
  • When in doubt, use a bigger hammer.
I would personally go with the ST300 if you're looking for a bigger tool, and a Wave\Charge if you want a smaller one.
I too didn't really like the Surge for some reason.
Chuck Norris' preferred iron supplement is rebar.

Offline Styerman

• No Life Club
I would go the TTI route , bout as good as it gets . If you tend to mislay stuff maybe a Wave might be a good idea , things like TTI's grow legs real quick on jobsites .

Chris

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD