Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

My first full size LM ... the Wave

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
on: May 14, 2011, 09:04:46 PM
Some of you may recall from previous posts across the boards I have been more than sceptical of Leatherman for a long time. I bought a PS4 which had bald spots on the file and the knife blade kept catching and getting hung up on the scales, and I also got a CS4 which turned out to be a disgraceful waste of money. Far too many issues to list on this thread. I also kept hearing time and time again about rust issues and quality of manufacturing issues, yet everyone still seemed to rave about LM tools and I couldn’t get my head around it.

I actually wanted to try a full size LM and once and decide for myself for all which camp Leatherman were in – expensive shambles who get by on reputation alone, or a proper tool manufacturer who just didn’t always get it right. We’ve got a really knowledgeable crowd here though, so reputation alone can’t have got so many MT guru’s lapping them up time after time, but I was also constantly hearing how great their Customer Service and Warranties were, and couldn’t help thinking ... why do so many people have to find out? Despite my inquisitiveness, and based on my track record with them so far, there was no way I was going to play the LM lotto at UK prices.

When a used Wave appeared on the trade forum from a UK member I decided the price was right and I’d give it a go and whatever the outcome I would post my thoughts and either cry loud my undying despair against the brand or eat some humble pie and give them the praise they deserved.

The tool came to me with signs of wear and the diamond file is full of .... something .... but all in all very good condition (and I’m sure the file will clean up just fine when I get time). Certainly nothing here that would hide me seeing how the tool would arrive from the manufacturer. I’ve now carried it for a while at work, and had chance to use many of the tools within - I actually used the pliers within the first hour of carrying it.

I’m used to using either SAK pliers or if reaching for a full size MT it’s normally a Swisstool or Swissgrip. The Wave’s pliers are noticeably not as robust but the needlenose option is quite nice, and they do inspire confidence in use albeit on lighter tasks than the big Swiss options. The tool felt a little dry on first use though, so I oiled it up and this instantly turned to what I believe Multimat has lovingly referred to in the past as “brown sweat”. There were other areas which looked  ... shall we say ... “over ripe”, but for the most part this just wiped straight off

The clip was a big plus as belt carrying a sheath isn’t very practical for me, and it’s nice to be able to through a decent pliers based too in your pocket without it being uncomfortable or wondering if your trousers are going to fall down. I swore loudly after looking at the saw and it fouled on the retracted lanyard ring while stowing it away. My CS4 had similar issues with the awl and a lot of venom against the brand started to stew. The file I like. I don’t have much need for a diamond file – but it’s there if I do, and the saw looks functional even if it is annoying to stow again. As I was used to carrying a Byrd Wings Slipit, the PE and SE OHO blades weren’t something that was missing from my pockets anyway, and though it’s nice to have them on a multitool if you haven’t got a dedicted knife on you, I’d have no concerns about using my BWS to eat my apple – I wouldn’t dream of it with the Wave.

Inside my initial thought were ... “it’s empty”, by which I meant there’s not many tools. I’m used to looking at my Swisstool or Spirit and seeing a battalion of implements waiting to be deployed, and it took me a while to realise I was being a pleb and that four of the tools were on the other side of the handles and I’d just been looking at them!!! Yes overall there are a few less functions than the ST/STS, but it’s a lot more portable and I could always grind down the fixed blade driver into a chisel/scraper or awl if necessary. The scissors aren’t a patch on what I’m used to, but the bit drivers are really nice to have. The age old Vic shiny slippy softness vs LM grippy brittle rusty debate aside, I like the idea that I can bear down on a screw if I need to and know that I’m only going to wreck a replaceable bit if things go awry rather than the whole tool. It comes as no surprise to me that LM are phasing out their fixed drivers in favour if the bit adaptors. If nothing else it’ll probably save them a fortune on warranty repairs.

The combo tool has been very thoroughly tested on beers (not at work) and has worked adequately each time despite gradual deterioration of its operator, although I was quite surprised in its initial failure to operate with the pliers closed as the opposite handle got in the way. Thankfully I discovered this before intoxication and figured out I needed to use this with the handles open before getting squiffy. I’ve not tested it on cans as it’s not a task I frequently face, but I’m pretty sure I’d not starve.

So overall, humble pie or crazed revolt? Well neither really, but now I can see what so many people like about the brand. Will it replace the Swisstool / Spirit as EDC? No chance!! There are many things about it that (for me personally) don’t match up to the Vic options, BUT it doesn’t matter! The Wave looks and feels like it should be on a workbench beside some well used spanners and hammers, or clipped to a pair of grubby work trousers. The nice shiny Vic’s will stop in my EDC bag ready for ANYTHING I throw at them wherever I may be, including eating my apple – whilst the Wave has earned a place clipped on my workgear wherever I may be in the factory knowing that with a flick of the wrist (or thumb) I have a pair of pliers or appropriate knife blade ready for action.

Having cut my teeth on Vic’s and Wenger I had been spoilt with the aesthetics, the fit and finish, and many other benefits but I can’t tote my EDC bag round the factory, and sheath carry is not an option for me. The Wave however (for me) is simply a working tool, and a good one at that. I don’t care if my spanners pick up a speck of rust here and there, and same with the Wave. With this tool I know I can carry it comfortably and tackle the everyday chores of the workplace with ease ... and ultimately that’s what matters most.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2011, 10:27:29 PM by 50ft-trad »

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

cs Offline edcgear

• No Life Club
Re: My first full size LM ... the Wave
Reply #1 on: May 14, 2011, 10:00:27 PM
Good thought... I'm also on VIC side, but leaning towards Wave... Think it will have it's place in EDC rotation...
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
There is method to my madness....
http://svakodnevnesitnice.blogspot.com/

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #2 on: May 14, 2011, 11:09:49 PM
Good thought... I'm also on VIC side, but leaning towards Wave... Think it will have it's place in EDC rotation...

Cheers mate. Definitely worth a try if you haven't used one. It wouldn't make my own EDC (other tools suit me better) but as a worksite tool I find it really good

scotland Offline Sea Monster

• No Life Club
Reply #3 on: May 15, 2011, 12:01:28 AM
Good review!

As for Leatherman fit and finish and number of warranty returns - I think that leatherman make good tools, but I think they also know it's cheaper to have the Customer do the Testing when they bring out new tools (a lot of companies do this, including automobile manufacturers!) and that they know the fits and tolerances vs production time ratio they want to work with.

(with the USD what it is at the moment, I'm feeling vaguely benevolent towards Leatherman, as their prices on shelves no longer give me cancer just by looking at them)

gb Offline Malarauko

Reply #4 on: May 15, 2011, 12:47:02 AM
This article made me decide to finally get what i've been thinking about for a while... a Swisstool.

us Offline stack

Reply #5 on: May 15, 2011, 12:57:59 AM
Great review and great end result! :tu:

au Offline MultiMat

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • The MTO handshake.
Reply #6 on: May 15, 2011, 05:07:50 AM
Glad you found a LM you are happy to keep mate  :D :D :D.

Regards the pliers , I would say do not be afraid to use them just as you use your Vic pliers  :tu: :tu:.
I reckon LM wire cutters are definitely easier to use than Vics  :think: :think:, much bigger surface area makes it a bit easier to cut wires IMHO.I found when fitting a new set of wiper blades to my car my Spirits plier cutters were far to short to cut the wiper blade cleanly my Surge just sniped them in one go 8) 8). Get that diamond file cleaned up & give it a go its VERY handy, a file that can do very fine detail work that can also clean up a edge on a tool or knife  8) 8) 8) 8)

"Downunder Mod (that sounds dirty, doesn't it?)"
Yeh Baby :P >:D >:D

gb Offline Zed

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #7 on: May 15, 2011, 07:19:44 AM
cool review al, now im a huge wave fan as many  on here now, and if i only had to have one MT it would be a wave, now my st300 is a amazing tool and has many uses and love its long drivers, plus replacable wire cutters, ive had many other LM MT's since being on here plus a swisstool, i did like the swisstool but found its drivers slipped as very polished, plus heavy, but a great tool all the same,I only sent my 98 wave in due to being wobbly in the pliers plus a snapped flat driver (it had many other flt drivers lol) as a pry bar  ::) i never had a rust issue on that tool, whitby sent me back a new wave and i love it, its bit driver is great and cool for making extra mods,i prefer locking tools allround, the clip is a added bonus, for me the wave is a great all rounder MT and as far as i know still LM's biggest seller, enjoy al  :tu:

i think alot comes down to your first MT and since ive carried a wave since 98 i still love the OHO blades and style of the wave, plus ive never really had any big issues with LM so far,
oh al ill have that modded extension out to you asap  :salute:
« Last Edit: May 15, 2011, 07:25:28 AM by Zed »

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #8 on: May 15, 2011, 09:16:04 PM
Good review!
Great review and great end result! :tu:
cool review al

Thanks guys :salute:

I'm feeling vaguely benevolent towards Leatherman, as their prices on shelves no longer give me cancer just by looking at them

:rofl: I'm glad I got this at the price I did. I still don't think I'm ready to fork out UK prices for a new LM .. but that might just be me being cheap  :P

i think alot comes down to your first MT .....
oh al ill have that modded extension out to you asap  :salute:

Excellent, Cheers Paul  :salute:

I think you're right as regards first tools, they have so much bearing on what you come to expect from future gear. I don't believe that there is a best tool for everyone or even a best tool for any particular job - so much comes down to personal preference ... assuming the tool is put together right and does what it says on the tin ... which (thankfully) this one certainly does  :tu:

Glad you found a LM you are happy to keep mate  :D :D :D.

Regards the pliers , I would say do not be afraid to use them just as you use your Vic pliers  :tu: :tu:.

Thanks for the comments mate.  :tu: Third time lucky eh?  :D :D :D I'm not afraid to use them, just aware that the Wave won't be as heavy duty as the Swisstool. The cutter length has increased, but the ST wins on strength. Not a criticism of either tool in any way though - just rapidly learning that the best multitool depends on what needs doing, where it needs doing, and who's doing it.  :D :D :D :salute:

ca Offline jekostas

• No Life Club
Reply #9 on: May 15, 2011, 09:26:40 PM
I had a Wave and a Spirit X at the same time.  I sold the Spirit and kept the Wave.

cs Offline edcgear

• No Life Club
Reply #10 on: May 15, 2011, 09:30:04 PM
I had a Wave and a Spirit X at the same time.  I sold the Spirit and kept the Wave.

IMHO I'll newer do that! ST Spirit and ST are benchmark for others... IMHO  :salute: :salute:
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

ca Offline jekostas

• No Life Club
Reply #11 on: May 15, 2011, 09:36:27 PM

IMHO I'll newer do that! ST Spirit and ST are benchmark for others... IMHO  :salute: :salute:

Yeah.  Try opening the tools on the Spirit with arthritis in your fingers.  Not fun.  Plus the scissors and file on the Wave (which I use a lot of) are superior, and the plier jaws are much more precise.

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #12 on: May 15, 2011, 09:51:08 PM

Yeah.  Try opening the tools on the Spirit with arthritis in your fingers.  Not fun.  Plus the scissors and file on the Wave (which I use a lot of) are superior, and the plier jaws are much more precise.

Well I've got both tools if you count the 2010 RT version, and theres definitely room in my world for both tools.

The Wave's clip (and possibly the OHO blades) makes it a far better tool for me at work, but the Spirit (and Swisstool) will be my primary EDC bag companions. I've used the tools which are not on the Wave (including the plus kit and set square feature on the Swisstool) far too often to see them go. I've probably more chance of needing a slimmer profile jaws at work and beefier ones elsewhere too.

What with the Swissgrip stopping at the boat, the Powerlock headed for the car kit, the Wave for work duties, the Swisstool in the EDC bag, the MP600 pending modification to shears instead of pliers and the Spirit RT for "Sunday best" or lighter carry ... everythings starting to fit into place quite nicely  :D :D :D :D
« Last Edit: May 15, 2011, 09:59:01 PM by 50ft-trad »

cs Offline edcgear

• No Life Club
Reply #13 on: May 15, 2011, 10:17:16 PM

:oops: Sorry, forgot about that...
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

spam Offline scrappy

• Turd Bucket
  • No Life Club
Reply #14 on: May 15, 2011, 10:29:25 PM
I carried a swiss tool for years and retired it for the wave. The pocket clip, bit driver, oho knives, and wider opening pliers meet my needs better.   Nice review.

Offline maximus0723

Reply #15 on: May 16, 2011, 01:03:57 AM
With ST and Spirit, it's that stupid Awl and Chisel. God they are useful.

I think the Wave can beat Spirit if you know how to grind up nice chisel and awl.

IMO, Charge tti is best all around MT with modified Awl and Chisel. You get OHOs, more drivers, and needlenose pliers, plus some more on Spirit and ST. Vics will still have superior, bottle and can openers but they only get little use anyways.

gb Offline Farmman

Reply #16 on: May 16, 2011, 02:23:13 PM
Bottle opener gets little use???? The bottle opener is the main reason my 'at home' carry is a skelitool! Maybe that says too much about my lifestyle.

cs Offline edcgear

• No Life Club
Reply #17 on: May 16, 2011, 02:38:54 PM
With ST and Spirit, it's that stupid Awl and Chisel. God they are useful.

I think the Wave can beat Spirit if you know how to grind up nice chisel and awl.

IMO, Charge tti is best all around MT with modified Awl and Chisel. You get OHOs, more drivers, and needlenose pliers, plus some more on Spirit and ST. Vics will still have superior, bottle and can openers but they only get little use anyways.

Let's not get into VIC vs LM discussion... We all know where it will lead... Local pub trying those bottle openers....  :cheers: :drink: :drink:

LM is premium manufacturer, and so is Vic... They both have their ups and downs, and bottom line is personal preference...
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

us Offline turnsouth

• No Life Club
  • There is no spoon
Reply #18 on: May 16, 2011, 02:59:43 PM
...Will it replace the Swisstool / Spirit as EDC? No chance!! There are many things about it that (for me personally) don’t match up to the Vic options, BUT it doesn’t matter!...

Exactly! I love my LM's and I love my Vic's. What really matters is that you find the tool that best becomes the natural extension of you hand.

:cheers:
Never underestimate the power of the fleece

cs Offline edcgear

• No Life Club
Reply #19 on: May 16, 2011, 03:07:07 PM
...Will it replace the Swisstool / Spirit as EDC? No chance!! There are many things about it that (for me personally) don’t match up to the Vic options, BUT it doesn’t matter!...

Exactly! I love my LM's and I love my Vic's. What really matters is that you find the tool that best becomes the natural extension of you hand.

+1  :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :salute: :salute:
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #20 on: May 16, 2011, 06:59:37 PM

BINGO!!! Also, it just so happens that what I personally want from a tool depends on where I am. None of my tools actually best fit all arenas in which I might want to use them. Some are strong in one area, another will be stronger somewhere else. I think I've now got the right tools deployed in the right places FOR ME and also for what I am liable be doing. 2 are Vics, 1 is Wenger, 1 is SOG, 1 is LM (undecided on MP600's final destination yet). The additional benefit is that if I am using the LM or Wenger and I have a problem with it for any reason, there's a good chance of me getting to one of the Vic's or a SOG fairly quickly. The fact that this is the first LM I've not had a problem with is a side issue .... this one works!

Some people like to have one tool for all eventualities - but to me that's like a carpenter keeping his chisels in his car in case he needs to change a tyre, or a chef going bushwhacking with his best Sabatiers strapped to his hip  ::)

Right tool for the right job for the right person ... way too many variables for a one size fits all solution

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #21 on: May 17, 2011, 01:21:11 AM
for some reason I thought I'd already posted in this thread, but apparently not. :think:  Anyway, it's an excellent review and I'm glad you finally got a LM that works for you. :cheers:
Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #22 on: May 17, 2011, 10:35:01 PM
 :D Cheers mate  :cheers:

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62