Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

My first SOG ... the S61 Powerlock

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
My first SOG ... the S61 Powerlock
on: May 14, 2011, 09:12:12 PM
I’ve not got the biggest or strongest hands in the world, so the idea of SOG’s compound leverage has appealed to me for some time. Eventually an opportunity arose to get a great deal on one, and with the help of a fellow member on the forums I managed to get one and see why these tools have gathered a fanbase.

First of all the pliers ... WOW!! These really mean business! The version I have is an EOD tool, but has the blast crimpers (which I personally have absolutely no call for) on the back side of the plier heads retaining full plier capability. The pliers just exude confidence. The cutter length is quite large for a multitool, and despite being a needle nosed profile the pliers still feel very powerful. The S61 also has the gear covers eliminating the snags and discomfort in use that was experienced by some users on other (previous) models.

The rest of the tools are not quite as exciting. The main flipside to the compound leverage is the fiddle factor in actually getting to the tool you want. After having to open the pliers up then lift the handle covers, you then have to deal with the tool clumping. The S61 has the original locking system rather than the piano locks which addressed the clumping issue. Some users actually prefer a cluster of tools to come out together, but for me it’s just more hassle. Then of course the handle covers must be replaced and the pliers closed back up for the tool to be used. Stowing the tool away again obviously sees the whole process being repeated again. Whilst the handle covers could be removed to simplify the process, the pliers would be quite uncomfortable in use. The handle covers (certainly on my model), also creak and click when using the pliers, cheapening the feel of the tool to an extent.

As regards the individual tools, the variety and choice that comes on the S61 is very good, although the calibre of those tools is not as high as can be found on other multitools. The plain edged blade on the S61 is perfectly adequate, though being an inside accessed tool this leaves the blade at the centre of the tool rather than the outside edge as with a Swisstool/Spirit or many Leatheman models thus limiting its use in certain applications. The handles on the scissors also find themselves towards the centre and can take a little getting used to.

The can opener and cap lifter tools both have screwdrivers on them similar to a Victorinox SAK., and are not designed for heavy use. Same applies to the Phillips, which whilst having a 3D head for better purchase on the screw only has a relatively thin shank. The dedicated flat driver has a wire stripper which looks quite effective, but I haven’t had call to try it out as yet. The file is not very aggressive, and only has a short working area to accommodate yet another flat driver at the tip. The saw is aggressively cut as a pull saw, and has a good back taper to prevent jamming. The working length is short though, and is actually slightly shorter than the saw on a 91mm Victorinox SAK. The awl is very good in my opinion, a usable length and very sharp both on the tip and on the reamer edge on the side.

This leaves the 1/4” bit driver, a fold out blade onto which you mount the enclosed adaptor enabling you to use any standard hex bits you may already have as your standard tool set. I’ve got two major issue with this driver though. Firstly, mine arrived without the spring which retains the adaptor so this function is not properly usable at the moment as the adaptor just flops about and drops off, and secondly they put a half stop on it. At the half stop position the tool is open and very wide, due to the compound leverage configuration, plus the handle covers are also open (handle covers cannot be closed over the driver). So unless the screw you are trying to drive is right at the edge of a workpiece access could be a major issue.

Overall I do like this tool, but it is a tool where the onboard tools could be considered very much secondary to and compromised by the pliers function. That said, I would consider this a good tool for the glovebox. Rugged, strong and dependable pliers with a good choice on additional tools ... but I wouldn’t want to use it everyday.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2011, 11:16:43 PM by 50ft-trad »

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

cs Offline edcgear

• No Life Club
Re: My first SOG ... the S61 Powerlock
Reply #1 on: May 14, 2011, 09:25:18 PM
Nice one matey... I expect one of those soon...  :D :D
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
There is method to my madness....
http://svakodnevnesitnice.blogspot.com/

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #2 on: May 14, 2011, 11:00:08 PM
I'm right behind you on SOGs secondary tools; good effort but fall short due to the level of emphasis on the pliers. :-\  Too fiddly for my EDC as well.
Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

gb Offline nuphoria

• Ambidangerous Mistress of Mod
  • Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not all bad, I'm just drawn that way.
Reply #3 on: May 14, 2011, 11:28:57 PM
Just got my first Powerlock too (BO EOD version B69) - similar impression as yours. Overall I really like it though, mostly for the arse kicking pliers. This one has been de-knifed and a saw added and has been put in my tool bag for a trial run.
A dyslexic man walks in to a bra...

All my music for free: http://soundcloud.com/chrissyvandyke

spam Offline scrappy

• Turd Bucket
  • No Life Club
Reply #4 on: May 15, 2011, 08:03:35 PM
Nice write up. I think you made some very good points that are good to share.

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #5 on: May 15, 2011, 09:23:12 PM
Cheers folks, just waiting on a reply to my plea to SOG's CS dept for a spring for that driver tool. Ommitted to say in the write up that it'll be fine if extended fully rather than left at half stop. I still think this would make a good component for a car kit, and as soon as I get my mitts on a spring, that's where is going  :tu:

us Offline powernoodle

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #6 on: May 16, 2011, 12:41:31 AM
(handle covers cannot be closed over the driver)

You can also easily remove those covers, either as needed or permanently.  Removing them gives faster access to the tools, but makes it less comfy on the hands when using the pliers.

at Offline Woz

• No Life Club
Reply #7 on: May 31, 2011, 05:06:11 PM
got mine today. KUDOS SOG! These are the best folding pliers I have seen so far. No LM and not even the Swiss Tool comes close, these pliers are AMAZING!  :salute:  :salute:  :salute:
edc-reviews.blogspot.com

us Offline MTlitton

Reply #8 on: June 08, 2011, 07:11:35 AM
i baught a powerlock from lowes and i bent the handle using the 1/4 driver the first time (i didnt have to put that mucg force on it to do so)nthat being sed i love the pliers :multi:
watch your step

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #9 on: June 08, 2011, 08:58:37 AM
(handle covers cannot be closed over the driver)

You can also easily remove those covers, either as needed or permanently.  Removing them gives faster access to the tools, but makes it less comfy on the hands when using the pliers.

Quite true, but it does bump the fiddle factor up another notch if just doing it for 90 degree driver use too.

got mine today. KUDOS SOG! These are the best folding pliers I have seen so far. No LM and not even the Swiss Tool comes close, these pliers are AMAZING!  :salute:  :salute:  :salute:

The pliers are truly outstanding on this bit of kit, the combination/balance of the needle nose profile and beefiness is exceptional. Add the compound leverage and these become head and shoulder beyond anything I've ever owned.

i baught a powerlock from lowes and i bent the handle using the 1/4 driver the first time (i didnt have to put that mucg force on it to do so)nthat being sed i love the pliers :multi:

Ouch! Have'nt been able to put this through it's paces though as SOG still hasn't been back to me about that spring  ::) That said I wouldn't have expected that to happen. Yes, the other tools are compromised somewhat by the gearing etc, but it does seem to have sufficient strength to do what it should ... and a loyal fanbase of many years. Is this common anyone?
« Last Edit: June 08, 2011, 09:00:16 AM by 50ft-trad »

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44