Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

2011 MTO NAMU Photos

um Offline Mr. Whippy

• Global Moderator
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • North American Meetup: May13-15 2011
2011 MTO NAMU Photos
on: May 15, 2011, 08:14:28 PM
Words to follow, but here are some pictures:

um Offline Mr. Whippy

• Global Moderator
  • Zombie Apprentice
Re: 2011 MTO NAMU Photos
Reply #1 on: May 15, 2011, 08:15:28 PM

um Offline Mr. Whippy

• Global Moderator
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #2 on: May 15, 2011, 08:16:59 PM

« Last Edit: May 15, 2011, 08:19:02 PM by Mr. Whippy »

gb Offline Mike, Lord of the Spammers!

• Chief of the Absolutely No Life Club!
  • Abandon All Hope Ye Who Enter Here...
  • Why haven't you got a Farmer yet!
Reply #3 on: May 15, 2011, 08:26:42 PM
Keep them coming guys :tu:
Give in, buy several Farmer's!!!!!!

dk Offline AHB

• Keeper Of The PowerCut
  • Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Don't mistake lack of talent for genius.
Reply #4 on: May 15, 2011, 08:30:22 PM
 :cheers:

cs Offline edcgear

• No Life Club
Reply #5 on: May 15, 2011, 08:46:22 PM
 :cheers: :cheers:

Great pics guys...

And now let's see the censored ones... Afterbeer ones....  :pok: :pok:
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
There is method to my madness....
http://svakodnevnesitnice.blogspot.com/

spam Offline scrappy

• Turd Bucket
  • No Life Club
Reply #6 on: May 15, 2011, 08:47:36 PM
Who is who

ni-ulster Offline cerbera147

• No Life Club
Reply #7 on: May 15, 2011, 09:21:44 PM

um Offline Mr. Whippy

• Global Moderator
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #8 on: May 15, 2011, 09:25:03 PM
I said words later!  :ahhh

Ok, y'all can get things figured out:

Opening cans are J-sews (left) jzmtl (right)

On couch with my dogs, NeitherExtreme

um Offline Mr. Whippy

• Global Moderator
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #9 on: May 15, 2011, 09:39:21 PM
Oh, yea, and that's an Eastern box turtle.

ca Offline PyroJames

• No Life Club
Reply #10 on: May 15, 2011, 10:03:56 PM
Nice pics, looks like you guys had a great time!  (Was Bob and Jie having a can-opening contest?)

P.S. - What's in the big Spyderco box on the coffee table?
This is called a Swiss Army Knife. Do you know what Switzerland is? Switzerland is a place where they don't like to fight, so they get people to do their fighting for them while they ski and eat chocolate. - Larry David

cs Offline edcgear

• No Life Club
Reply #11 on: May 15, 2011, 10:12:02 PM
Can opening looks like VIC vs. LM can opener competition...  :pok:
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

um Offline Mr. Whippy

• Global Moderator
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #12 on: May 15, 2011, 11:49:58 PM
Vic vs Wenger vs Leatherman can opening.  On both a small can and the large can. All agreed with the original results.

ca Offline jzmtl

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #13 on: May 16, 2011, 12:00:09 AM
Not so much of a contest, just testing what Mr. W said about his experience regard vic vs wenger can openers (he had a thread on it I believe). The difference is huge on large #10 (?) cans, not something you'll ever find out unless you try.

p.s. not home yet, free wifi at service station (toll road though, lol)
« Last Edit: May 16, 2011, 12:02:00 AM by jzmtl »

um Offline Mr. Whippy

• Global Moderator
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #14 on: May 16, 2011, 12:24:44 AM
Not so much of a contest, just testing what Mr. W said about his experience regard vic vs wenger can openers (he had a thread on it I believe). The difference is huge on large #10 (?) cans, not something you'll ever find out unless you try.

p.s. not home yet, free wifi at service station (toll road though, lol)

Wow Jie!

At first I thought, Whoa!  How'd he get home so fast?   :D

btw, I'll let jzmtl comment on the Spyderco box.  I will say, the Spyderco with the ballbearing lock (and GITD scales  :drool:) ?Manix? and the Boker ?Xcaliber?  (something like that) had an amazing level finish. The action just invites a ton of fiddling. :gimme:

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #15 on: May 16, 2011, 01:05:05 AM
Looks like fun guys. :tu:  The part I love about these meet-ups is playing with new stuff, what (if any) were your highlights?
Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

um Offline Mr. Whippy

• Global Moderator
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #16 on: May 16, 2011, 03:05:01 AM
On Friday, I picked up Bob (J-sews) around noon at the airport and the NAMU was on.   We talked about life and tools,  family and tools, tools and animals, tools, MT.O and tools.  A couple hours later Jie (jzmtl) arrived from Montreal after a 10 hour drive.

At that point, the tools started coming out in earnest.  Jzmtl brought a fantastic selection of Spyderco and Boker knives.  I learned a tremendous amount about different steels, sandwiched steels, heat treatments, hardening, sharpening, locking mechanisms and more.   I got to experience firsthand what a smooth OHO mechanism is like. Pizza was the order of the evening.

The BossLady dealt with the horses and joined for a bit to check out some of the knives and tools.

J-sews brought a large number of firearms related MT’s, some prototypes and my OHO Vic spirit. I pulled out my box of one-piece tools.  J-sews explain how many of these one piece tools were likely made.  I could imagine J-sew-Wood pocket tools appearing in the future, made of exotic materials with super tight tolerances ;).   J-sews completed the storied history of blue MT.O Charge 005.

As the evening wore on, talk of flashlights came up and jzmtl explained what the numbers on non-standard batteries mean and then he showed us his modified PrincetonTec headlamp.

us Offline NeitherExtreme

• No Life Club
  • Marsh-wiggle
Reply #17 on: May 16, 2011, 03:45:36 AM
Hey, just wanted to say I had a great time. I've been working for the last 15 hours, so I'm going to get some sleep, but I'll be back later.

I do want to say a big thanks to Nate (and family) for the food and goodies, and also a huge thanks to David- I'll share a few picks of why later on... Also to Bob and Jie, I had a lot of fun looking at your bring-alongs. :cheers:

And about that last picture with the Spyderco box on the table... I've got a Spyderco Matriarch in my hand hidden behind the table. I've got that big goofy grin because one of the guys almost got a picture of me one second before when I was holding up the knife with a primal glee in my eye. I quickly decided I didn't want to have that image floating around forever, hence the hidden Spydie.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2011, 05:09:13 AM by NeitherExtreme »

ca Offline jzmtl

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #18 on: May 16, 2011, 05:19:02 AM

Wow Jie!

At first I thought, Whoa!  How'd he get home so fast?   :D

btw, I'll let jzmtl comment on the Spyderco box.  I will say, the Spyderco with the ballbearing lock (and GITD scales  :drool:) ?Manix? and the Boker ?Xcaliber?  (something like that) had an amazing level finish. The action just invites a ton of fiddling. :gimme:

Yeah that's the EDCF glow in dark handle manix, too pretty to use.   ::) The Boker is Exskelibur I (the bigger version), I was amazed by how nicely made and smooth it is when I first got it.

It was great meeting all of you, and the Maryland steamed crab was fantastic, next time I'm there I'm going for 6 instead of 3.  :D

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #19 on: May 16, 2011, 12:24:42 PM
Looks like a great time!  Now I'm really sorry I missed it!

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

gb Offline nuphoria

• Ambidangerous Mistress of Mod
  • Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not all bad, I'm just drawn that way.
Reply #20 on: May 16, 2011, 01:36:10 PM
Cool! Nice to know you had a good time :)

Glad you had a turtle in on the action too - almost seems like a member here now.
A dyslexic man walks in to a bra...

All my music for free: http://soundcloud.com/chrissyvandyke

um Offline Mr. Whippy

• Global Moderator
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #21 on: May 17, 2011, 01:23:01 AM
Saturday started of overcast and misty.  The day continued to drizzle off and on all day.  J-sews brought out a prototype for testing.  Part of the tool included a wrench function which was compared to the PocketTool X, the Puck Wrench, the jaws of a Charge ALX and even a cheap pair of slipjaw pliers.  When we reached our conclusions, we broke for lunch and then went trekking around the farm, across fields and then back home again.  I witnessed just how sharp jzmtl keeps his knife.  He cut through a ½ inch woody vine like it was a piece of string.

Shortly after getting home, NeitherExtreme arrived and a little while later, the crabs arrived and dinner began.  Maryland Steamed Crabs are a classic, but not for everyone.  I figured people might eat 2 or 3 if this was their first time.  My son and his girlfriend and my daughter stopped in for dinner so I knew there’d be a good dozen or so accounted for.

I am sad to report that I don’t believe J-sews is enamored with Maryland steamed crabs.  He did eat one, but then moved on to Andouille sausage.  Jzmtl was a star—3 crabs eaten with no interventional help—very impressive for a beginner.   NeitherExtreme doesn’t do crabs, however, he did display an amazing ability to eat hot Andouille sausage with additional hot sauce.

After dinner, serious business was discussed and of course, the giveaways, graciously  provided by david proceeded.
NeitherExtreme cleaned up with the Vic SwissTool and a Gerber Shard with Leatherman pin

Bob picked up Vic SwissCard ala Lehman Bros and a PocketWrench II

jzmtl won a Buck neck knife and a beautiful Case locking blade knife

Some of the items examined and discussed

Discussions about serious things and MT’s proceeded late into the night.  NeitherExtreme reluctantly had to leave, since he had a 15 hour shift at work the next day.  An hour or so later, and everyone went to bed.   Sunday,  the weather improved and there was some more discussions about all things tool related before everyone needed to head home again. 
It was a great Meet Up.  I greatly appreciate all the support for this event.   I really enjoyed meeting J-sews, jzmtl and NeitherExtreme.    Hope to meet a few more MTO’s next year.

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #22 on: May 17, 2011, 01:29:12 AM
nice round-up Nate, sounds like you guys had a great time. :cheers:
Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

um Offline Mr. Whippy

• Global Moderator
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #23 on: May 17, 2011, 01:40:41 AM
Someone asked what was my favorite part of the Meet Up.

For me, pulling out tools, many of which everyone is familiar with, and listening to J-sews discuss possibilities in production and construction and hearing about the materials from jzmtl. Their insights add an entirely new dimension to the tools.  I really enjoyed the discussion we had about the two PocketTool X Piranhas, for example.

Being able to handle the tools while the details are pointed out was fantastic. :)

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #24 on: May 17, 2011, 03:33:51 AM
Hi Gents, sorry I'm late getting back here. :)  Seems there was a bit of nasty weather in the skies between Maryland and Michigan yesterday. :( Suffice to say, I can now confirm with some degree of authority that the terminal benches at O'Hare are a bit more comfortable to sleep on than the ones at Detroit Metro... :P

More meet-up pics and reports coming up momentarily :salute:
In order to be certain of having the right tool for every job.........one must first acquire a lot of tools

us Offline 665ae

• Formerly known as 665ae
  • No Life Club
  • blah blah blah
Reply #25 on: May 17, 2011, 03:35:27 AM
Hi Gents, sorry I'm late getting back here. :)  Seems there was a bit of nasty weather in the skies between Maryland and Michigan yesterday. :( Suffice to say, I can now confirm with some degree of authority that the terminal benches at O'Hare are a bit more comfortable to sleep on than the ones at Detroit Metro... :P

Wow... that sounds like it really sucked!  Glad to hear your back in the greatest state in the Union! :D
If you took all the intestines out of your body and stretched them end to end... you would die.

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #26 on: May 17, 2011, 04:52:02 AM

Wow... that sounds like it really sucked!  Glad to hear your back in the greatest state in the Union! :D

The meet-up was great, but the trip back home was utterly....forgettable! :P :D :D
In order to be certain of having the right tool for every job.........one must first acquire a lot of tools

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #27 on: May 17, 2011, 06:04:25 AM
Some more pics of the meet-up at Nate's (Mr. Whippy's) place:

Nate and his lovely wife Jenine have a horse farm in central Maryland. Like any farm, theirs involves a whole lot of hard work. :salute: Fortunately for Nate, Jenine enjoys doing the majority of it! ;) :D

Here's our hero Nate, firing up the tractor so his poor wife could spend the rest of the evening mowing the back forty. ::) ::) :D

Just like in Las Vegas, the females here in Maryland seem to find me witty and irresistible. 8)  Check out these two babes. :drool:  (I think the blue-eyed lovely on the right has a crush on me) :dd:

Now I'll be the first to admit that Nate's Ducati motorcycle is one awesome bit of personal conveyance, but I'll take his long wheel base Rover over the bike any day!! :drool:

A view of the rolling Maryland countryside, draped in a morning mist. :)

After our hosts stuffed us to the gills with a king's feast Saturday evening, we all gathered round for some serious tool talk. :multi:

Nate's collection of Atwood gold was the first I'd ever seen of these magnificent little jewels. :o

Luke won himself a new shiny SwissTool, but his "top" tool is still the tried and trusty (and naked) Kf4 :D

Luke and Jie, comparing opinions on a couple of new toys :)

Not everyone is impressed though it seems.... ::) :D

Here's Nate, scoping out the one-hand action on a Mike Horn knife :salute:

And Luke, putting one of Jie's incredible Bokers through the same exercise :tu:

According to Nate, the Wenger Alinghi is nice, but the Mike Horn is better. :angel:

Jie scored this lovely Case (his very first!) thanks to our very own member David, who donated quite a number of fabulous giveaway prizes. Thanks David! :cheers:

Luke opened up his magic box of toolage, nearly setting off a tussle as grabby hands instantly reached in from all directions :D

Snatching blindly, I pulled out an MTO legend: the NeitherExtreme Charge Ti, Luke's very first multitool. Awesome!

All good things must come to an end however, and before long we had to say our goodbyes. :-\ Thanks for a fine evening gentlemen, thanks again for the great gifts David, thanks for the hospitality Nate, and especially thanks for putting up with all our tooly nerdity Jenine! :D :D

Hope to see you all again soon.
Bob :)

cs Offline edcgear

• No Life Club
Reply #28 on: May 17, 2011, 07:15:46 AM
Great pics, you had excellent time...

Hope you drove that Defender on some offroad....

Nice bunch of EDC on desk!!!  :tu: :tu: :tu: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

gb Offline Mike, Lord of the Spammers!

• Chief of the Absolutely No Life Club!
  • Abandon All Hope Ye Who Enter Here...
  • Why haven't you got a Farmer yet!
Reply #29 on: May 17, 2011, 07:31:40 AM
Look's like a proper good meet up there guys :tu:
Give in, buy several Farmer's!!!!!!