Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Deer Season

Offline I'm Still Bison

• No Life Club
  • Supreme Planetary Overlord trainee
Deer Season
on: November 19, 2007, 06:22:39 PM
It's deer season here in my neck of the woods,and do we have any deer hunters among us? What gear you planning to use out in the woods?
I

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Re: Deer Season
Reply #1 on: November 19, 2007, 06:35:21 PM
J-sews can't answer you right now- he's sneaking up on a nice fat rack right now...  :D

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

us Offline 665ae

• Formerly known as 665ae
  • No Life Club
  • blah blah blah
Reply #2 on: November 19, 2007, 06:58:39 PM
I was chasing a fat rack yesterday... but with Michigans "Stalker" laws I had to stop when she got home :)
If you took all the intestines out of your body and stretched them end to end... you would die.

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #3 on: November 19, 2007, 07:06:20 PM
Good thing your future wife doesn't read this forum or you'll have a nice collection of ex wives! :P

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

Offline I'm Still Bison

• No Life Club
Reply #4 on: November 19, 2007, 07:14:29 PM
           I said DEER not DEAR !!!!!!!
I

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #5 on: November 19, 2007, 09:22:51 PM
......What gear you planning to use out in the woods?

I've been out in the swamp all day long for four straight days. Just got home yesterday for the four SH's. (Shower, shave, shine my teeth, and sh...well, you know) Headin' back out again tomorrow.

What gear am I packing? Got my lucky Leatherman SuperTool. It's the black oxide version, but has just about no black oxide left on it. Well over 100,000 miles on this baby. Also got my lucky Leatherman Micra in the backpack. Got a fixed blade Lakota hunting knife on my belt, a Mini-Maglite with LED conversion and clicky tailcap, one of those new LED mini hat lights, my Garmin GPS 60CS, and a Motorola walkie-talkie so I can check in with my dad occasionally. Of course, there's also a rifle, a ridiculous amount of ammo, a backpack full of spare gloves and spare hats and lunch, 18" rubber boots, gore-tex galore, etc.

And that's just what I carry on my person. Don't even get me started about what's in the truck! :D

In order to be certain of having the right tool for every job.........one must first acquire a lot of tools

us Offline CQC-7

• No Life Club
  • Right Wing Psychopath!
Reply #6 on: November 19, 2007, 09:48:42 PM
What rifle did you bring along?

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #7 on: November 19, 2007, 10:00:56 PM

The best one ever made, of course: Browning A-bolt, original version, stainless steel/synthetic stock, .25-06 chambering, with a Leupold 3.5 x 10 VXIII scope.  :)
In order to be certain of having the right tool for every job.........one must first acquire a lot of tools

Offline I'm Still Bison

• No Life Club
Reply #8 on: November 20, 2007, 12:13:33 AM

The best one ever made, of course: Browning A-bolt, original version, stainless steel/synthetic stock, .25-06 chambering, with a Leupold 3.5 x 10 VXIII scope.  :)
             BIG thumbs up on choice of caliber. With all the gear you're packing,is there anything you left at home? :D
I

us Offline CQC-7

• No Life Club
  • Right Wing Psychopath!
Reply #9 on: November 20, 2007, 01:03:19 AM
I am a big fan of the 25-06 and a huge fan of the A-bolt.  However, if I were to choose a caliber for deer hunting with rifle I'd go with my old favorite the .308 :) The .308 is just my favorite cartridge, actually the first high powered rifle I ever shot was a .308.  I will say that the 25-06 can really reach out in the right hands.  With a 3-10x Leupold scope, I'd have to say you are covered for anything that you can see. :) 

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #10 on: November 20, 2007, 03:38:11 AM
.....I will say that the 25-06 can really reach out in the right hands.  With a 3-10x Leupold scope, I'd have to say you are covered for anything that you can see. :) 

Deep in the bowels of my swamp, there are some places where I can see all the way out to 75 yards! (Not everywhere mind you, just certain 'open' spots)  ;)

us Offline eodtech

• No Life Club
  • Rule #9 - Never go anywhere without a knife.
Re: Speaking of Deer Season .................ADULT material
Reply #11 on: November 20, 2007, 03:54:50 AM
« Last Edit: November 20, 2007, 04:00:57 AM by eodtech »
Why do I carry a 45 ?
Because they don't make a 46 !

us Offline CQC-7

• No Life Club
  • Right Wing Psychopath!
Reply #12 on: November 20, 2007, 04:37:39 AM
.....I will say that the 25-06 can really reach out in the right hands.  With a 3-10x Leupold scope, I'd have to say you are covered for anything that you can see. :) 

Deep in the bowels of my swamp, there are some places where I can see all the way out to 75 yards! (Not everywhere mind you, just certain 'open' spots)  ;)

Thats handgun hunting range. :)

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #13 on: November 21, 2007, 01:23:09 AM

Thats handgun hunting range. :)

Yah, but I can't hit the broadside of a bus with a handgun.  :(

Gimme a rifle any day.  :)

us Offline CQC-7

• No Life Club
  • Right Wing Psychopath!
Reply #14 on: November 21, 2007, 05:10:42 AM
It is really not that difficult.  You just have to concentrate on fundamentals of shooting.  Breathe, hold steady and squeeze that trigger while focusing on your sight picture.

us Offline 665ae

• No Life Club
  • blah blah blah
Reply #15 on: November 21, 2007, 06:38:11 AM
Did someone mention handgun hunting?  I like to use handguns when I hunt for terrorists hiding in my house :D

If you took all the intestines out of your body and stretched them end to end... you would die.

us Offline CQC-7

• No Life Club
  • Right Wing Psychopath!
Reply #16 on: November 21, 2007, 03:52:16 PM
You hunt them with the Super Redhawk?  I use my super Blackhawk.  I prefer single actions.  Not as fast to shoot but they feel better in my hand for some odd reason.  I am profecient with either one.  Rugers are great hunting guns.  Have you used any of the "ruger only" handloads.  In short, they are a blast.   

us Offline 665ae

• No Life Club
  • blah blah blah
Reply #17 on: November 21, 2007, 04:29:44 PM
Yes, I hunt terrorists (and deer) with the Super Redhawk.  I actually prefer Single Actions, but I think it has more to do with the "old west" look and feel than anything special with the type of gun.  I actually had (up until not to long ago) a 6" Stainless Super Blackhawk, but I ended up selling it with the intention of buying a Super Blackhawk Hunter... but then I found this Redhawk and it had too good of a price to resist :)

I haven't used any of the Ruger only loads yet, I'm resisting using custom loads as long as possible.  I'm afraid if I start using them, and like them, I'm going to want to start reloading myself :)

Do you still have the stock grips on your Blackhawk?  I always like the way they felt, but ended up putting a hogue grip on mine while I had it.

Offline I'm Still Bison

• No Life Club
Reply #18 on: November 21, 2007, 04:38:09 PM
As far as I'm concerned the Blackhawk is the only way to go in SA. The Redhawks are my favorite revolver,Mrs. Bison too. If I could find one in .41 Mag,I'd jump on it so fast it would make your head spin;and for those too young to remember,the Redhawk was originally offered in .357 Mag,.41 Mag,as well as .44 Mag.
I

us Offline 665ae

• No Life Club
  • blah blah blah
Reply #19 on: November 21, 2007, 04:43:55 PM
The .41 was a cartridge I never got into.  I didn't dislike it, I've just never shot it :)

The gun I'm currently "lusting" after is a S&W 460... Unfortunately, the future wife would kill me if I spent $1200 before the honeymoon :D

Offline I'm Still Bison

• No Life Club
Reply #20 on: November 21, 2007, 04:54:38 PM
The .41 is a very capable cartridge,it just had the misfortune to languish in the shadow of the .44.IIRC,the .41 was developed with law enforcement uses in mind.But having said all that,my all time favorite cartridge hands down is the .45 Long Colt.The best shooting revolver I ever owned was a S&W 25-5.

I do guess it might be a tad tough convincing the new SWMBO to spend the honeymoon at a pistol range,even if it is the Whittington Center in Raton NM. :D
I

us Offline CQC-7

• No Life Club
  • Right Wing Psychopath!
Reply #21 on: November 22, 2007, 01:03:54 AM
Yes, I hunt terrorists (and deer) with the Super Redhawk.  I actually prefer Single Actions, but I think it has more to do with the "old west" look and feel than anything special with the type of gun.  I actually had (up until not to long ago) a 6" Stainless Super Blackhawk, but I ended up selling it with the intention of buying a Super Blackhawk Hunter... but then I found this Redhawk and it had too good of a price to resist :)

I haven't used any of the Ruger only loads yet, I'm resisting using custom loads as long as possible.  I'm afraid if I start using them, and like them, I'm going to want to start reloading myself :)

Do you still have the stock grips on your Blackhawk?  I always like the way they felt, but ended up putting a hogue grip on mine while I had it.

Reloading is pretty cheap but not for the kind of reloading that I do.  Using good cast bullets with gas checks in the 300gr. weight with experimental loading it comes out to be almost the cost of regular .44 ammo.  Which saves me about 50% of the cost of buying say buffalo bore ammo or cor-bon in the same category.  I have changed the grips on my SBH.  I went to the hogue grip only because of that cool triggerguard on the SBH.  It was a joy to shoot with standard velocity 240gr ammo.  With the heavier load and bullet it just tore up my finger.  So I changed them.  I also had a trigger/action job done by SSK industries just down the street.  They added a scope mount as well.  It will shoot much much better than I can.  I can shoot a 3" group at 100yds.  I have managed to squeeze a sub 3" group out of it onece or twice.  I love that gun.

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #22 on: December 08, 2007, 06:39:43 AM
So did anyone get out with a blackpowder rifle this season?

us Offline getpower

• More money, younger women, and older whiskey
Reply #23 on: February 21, 2008, 11:29:51 PM
I took a Remington Model 700 in 270 WINCHESTER caliber.

I like the 270 over a 30-06 because it shoots longer, straighter, and faster. Mind you, you should hit where you aim, so aim good. Versus a 30-06 which has knock down power over the 270.

I also carry a .22 Revolver (Heritage) and load it with the magnum cylinder in with snake shot. There are a lot of rattlers around where I hunt Mendicino County in CA).

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #24 on: February 22, 2008, 03:34:41 AM
The Model 700 is a good rig for sure. I've got one in 7mm STW. Love that silky smooth action.  8)

scotland Offline Sea Monster

• No Life Club
Reply #25 on: February 22, 2008, 09:01:54 AM
Funny you should mention deer...

gb Offline Mike, Lord of the Spammers!

• Chief of the Absolutely No Life Club!
  • Abandon All Hope Ye Who Enter Here...
  • Why haven't you got a Farmer yet!
Reply #26 on: February 22, 2008, 09:05:08 AM
Looks like the Germans take there hunting VERY seriously :D
Give in, buy several Farmer's!!!!!!

us Offline hawkchucker

• No Life Club
  • I miss Benner
Reply #27 on: February 22, 2008, 11:32:25 AM
I told you it would fit honey!
S

Offline I'm Still Bison

• No Life Club
Reply #28 on: February 22, 2008, 01:04:26 PM
Kinda reminds me of my part of the world.The other day I had to travel a short distance and in a ten mile interval I counted 4 deer laying dead roadside,and it isn't deer or turkey season.
I

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #29 on: February 22, 2008, 04:21:10 PM
The nice thing is, by the time you get home, it's cooked! :D

Def

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD
39%