Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Frankentools

us Offline airballrad

• Gadget Addict
Frankentools
on: May 22, 2011, 02:21:41 PM
As noted in my Leatherman Warranty Adventure thread, the tool they sent to me as a replacement for my Charge TTi is a Frankentool. It is a combination of a Charge TTi (crimpers, gut hook, scissors) and a Charge Ti (154CM main blade). Anyone else gotten surprises like this from Portland?

um Offline Mr. Whippy

• Global Moderator
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • North American Meetup: May13-15 2011
Re: Frankentools
Reply #1 on: May 22, 2011, 04:17:15 PM
This is mine.  It's a Juice Kf4.  It should have 3 backsprings on one side and 2 on the other.  This one has only 2 on both sides.

*This tool was examined and discussed at NAMU 2011 ;)

il Offline Threeme2189

• No Life Club
  • When in doubt, use a bigger hammer.
Reply #2 on: May 22, 2011, 05:40:12 PM
I have a Supertool 200 with a Wave\Charge\Kick plier head, but I got it back like that from Leatherman in Israel.
Chuck Norris' preferred iron supplement is rebar.

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #3 on: May 22, 2011, 05:40:59 PM
I got a couple. :) First one was just mis-packaged. It is a Charge TTi, but it was sealed in a clampack labeled for a Charge ALX

The other is a true Frankentool. Notice anything wrong with the Wave on the right? ;)

In order to be certain of having the right tool for every job.........one must first acquire a lot of tools

um Offline Mr. Whippy

• Global Moderator
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #4 on: May 22, 2011, 05:55:41 PM
That's a Wave XS

Extra scissors  ;)

gb Offline ryan1835

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • buh
Reply #5 on: May 22, 2011, 06:23:30 PM
can i ask why?
I

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #6 on: May 22, 2011, 06:31:01 PM
can i ask why?

It came from Leatherman that way. Must be someone on the assembly line just goofed up...? ???

It makes me wonder if they sub-assemble complete left handles and complete right handles first, then attach them to the plier head last. :think: If so, it would be a simple mistake to accidentally grab two "left handles" at final assembly. (just a theory though)
In order to be certain of having the right tool for every job.........one must first acquire a lot of tools

um Offline Mr. Whippy

• Global Moderator
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #7 on: May 22, 2011, 06:50:22 PM
can i ask why?

It came from Leatherman that way. Must be someone on the assembly line just goofed up...? ???

It makes me wonder if they sub-assemble complete left handles and complete right handles first, then attach them to the plier head last. :think: If so, it would be a simple mistake to accidentally grab two "left handles" at final assembly. (just a theory though)

Hmm...

No good.  Otherwise there'd be 2 files and 2 PE blades too. (Or saws and SE).  Whichever normally has the Phillips must have been assembled wrong from the get-go

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #8 on: May 22, 2011, 06:54:27 PM
Good point :salute:

il Offline Threeme2189

• No Life Club
  • When in doubt, use a bigger hammer.
Reply #9 on: May 22, 2011, 08:37:54 PM
Who needs 6 flat screw drivers?
Or 4 screw drivers and 2 pry bars :D
Chuck Norris' preferred iron supplement is rebar.

us Offline frugalscotty

• Pacific NW
Reply #10 on: May 22, 2011, 08:44:03 PM
I think your theory is still valid. Handles could be pre-assembled at the scissors/phillips end and it would be easy to grab two of the same kind and then complete the pliers head and knife blades correctly in the final assembly steps.

um Offline Mr. Whippy

• Global Moderator
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #11 on: May 24, 2011, 03:05:32 AM
I think your theory is still valid. Handles could be pre-assembled at the scissors/phillips end and it would be easy to grab two of the same kind and then complete the pliers head and knife blades correctly in the final assembly steps.

Yes.  I agree.  I think you're basically right Bob.  It makes the most sense that the inside tools are preassembled and then the pliers head and outside tools are assembled to the handles at one fell swoop.

If I were running the assembly line, the different handles would run in parallel lines to the head/outside tool assembly station.

So, if a scissors handle got into the wrong line, it would get assembled like that Wave.

Short version:  I think Bob's right.   :)

us Offline 665ae

• Formerly known as 665ae
  • No Life Club
  • blah blah blah
Frankentools
Reply #12 on: May 24, 2011, 03:19:36 AM

Yes.  I agree.  I think you're basically right Bob.  It makes the most sense that the inside tools are preassembled and then the pliers head and outside tools are assembled to the handles at one fell swoop.

If I were running the assembly line, the different handles would run in parallel lines to the head/outside tool assembly station.

So, if a scissors handle got into the wrong line, it would get assembled like that Wave.

Bob is always right... :D
If you took all the intestines out of your body and stretched them end to end... you would die.

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #13 on: May 24, 2011, 05:25:18 AM

Bob's wife is always right... :D

Fixed. ::)

:D

spam Offline Doraemon

• A man can never have enough watches... and tools!
Reply #14 on: May 25, 2011, 03:14:01 AM
ohhhhh... I'm liking this thread already!  :tu:

Let's see more frankens! (I'm secretly hoping my LM comes back an 'official' franken  :P)

You have the right tool... but do you know how to use it the right way?

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
May Goal: $300.00
Due Date: May 31
Total Receipts: $77.16
PayPal Fees: $3.91
Net Balance: $73.25
Below Goal: $226.75
Site Currency: USD
24%