Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Sideways play on 111mm Hunter

au Offline .banjo.

Sideways play on 111mm Hunter
on: May 22, 2011, 09:28:57 AM
Hi all, I am new here but have been kicking around on the forum reading for the last week so I hope to get more involved! Now my 111mm Hunter which I got in 1995 when I was 10 (yes I am surprised I never lost it!) has some sideways movement on the blade, is that normal? It's not a great amount but enough that if you hold it up to the light you can see a small gap appear between both sides as you wiggle it. None of the other tools do this but none of the other tools lock so maybe there is something in that. It may have always done this but I can't be sure. For those interested it is a red Hunter without the Deer and cost me $35 (around $19 usd?) back then. Of course I had no job or practicle reason to have one  back then but it helped me build cubby houses!  :D

I have a Vic Sportsman on the way (after seeing peoples opinions on here of a good edc and what I would personaly get the most out of) and I also have a leatherman kick already. I fear I might have to start buying more though the more I read around here  :climber:

us Offline ICanFixThat

• No Life Club
Re: Sideways play on 111mm Hunter
Reply #1 on: May 22, 2011, 04:38:12 PM

Does not seem right.  I'll try to find a hunter model specificly to check.

us Offline felinevet

• Banner Member
  • No Life Club
Reply #2 on: May 22, 2011, 05:40:41 PM
Vertical movement is normal, sideways is not.
T

england Offline Guardian

• Unless
Reply #3 on: May 22, 2011, 07:24:47 PM
Yep, as the gentlemen have said, sideways movement is a no no.Your hunter has probably had a hard life!!!
"Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, nothing is going to get better. It's not."
― Dr. Seuss, The Lorax

au Offline .banjo.

Reply #4 on: May 23, 2011, 07:56:43 AM
What's vertical play? Movement back against the lock?

I don't believe it has had a hard life i.e. I never used the blade to pry with. Perhaps I will have to strip and repair? Are replacement scales an option for slide lock models?

Offline Eyegor

Reply #5 on: May 23, 2011, 07:23:24 PM
I do not treat my Hunter gently and I have no sideways play. Any sideways movement I generate is actually the liners or scales flexing minutely under the lateral pressure.
T

au Offline .banjo.

Reply #6 on: May 24, 2011, 05:27:04 AM
Thanks Eyegor, perhaps I should have been more clear. The blade only moves under pressure, it is not loose in that it wobbles or anything like that. So perhaps that is to be expected then.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62
Net Balance: $360.24
Above Goal: $60.24
Site Currency: USD
120%