Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

The Spaniards have arrived

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
The Spaniards have arrived
on: May 29, 2011, 03:02:18 AM
I've been waiting a while for these two little gems to arrive, and finally got round to taking my trademark shoddy pics and carrying out the ritualistic apple slaughter which is generally the first role of any new pocket knife for me. If it doesn't rate well in the ergos and slicing of an apple, I pretty much know it's not going to be stoping with me long.

The boxes took a little battering in their journey over to me, but the contents survived just fine

When I first saw these online I wasn't totally sure if these were slippies or friction folders, but they're slippies which walk and talk just fine.

The Nieto Manolina is a little roughly finished, but nothing that a little TLC won't put right. The wood wasn't evenly finished and the blade edge was a little raspy and was catching little flecks of light at various angles. A cople of light licks on a pocket steel helped to reduce this, but a proper sharpening session is needed really to sort this out. I do like the feel and looks of this knife. It's very subdued and NKP friendly for areas and times where a black G10 handle and OHO action might get sphincters twitching and mobile phones on standby. As an EDC blade, I think it will do the job quite nicely.

The Muela's edge was better finished, although with slight gaps between backspring and liner the fit and finish was still not flawless. This would make another nice little pocket knife for me. Possibly a little less "everyday" than the Nieto, but I'm sure to make a user out of it. This knife is not my first Stag handled Muela, but being in the UK I need a bloody good reason to carry the other one.

Excuse the smeary blades in these shots, they were taken after the asassination of fresh fruit and still bear evidence of the task.

Shots taken with my (also recently received) UKPK for size comparisons

These two knives have instantly put themselves into my "top picks" category for EDC carry. I do carry other slippies too, but these are the ones that find there way into my right front pocket most often

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

au Offline MultiMat

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • The MTO handshake.
Re: The Spaniards have arrived
Reply #1 on: May 29, 2011, 04:29:49 AM
I like the wood one the best  :tu: :tu: :tu:.

50 were they pricey mate  :think: :think:

"Downunder Mod (that sounds dirty, doesn't it?)"
Yeh Baby :P >:D >:D

us Offline David

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #2 on: May 29, 2011, 06:44:55 AM
Great knives. I really like the Muela!
What? Enablers! Are you serrrrious? Where? I dont see any.
Hold Fast

gb Offline Zed

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #3 on: May 29, 2011, 10:18:38 AM
very nice Al  :drool:  i was on a spanish site the other day and there was some lovely knives and seemed well priced, ive seen a few nieto's i like, did you have any problems with customs  :-\ have a you a site link  :tu:

gb Offline Sparky415

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #4 on: May 29, 2011, 10:52:49 AM
Hooray for the Spanish  :tu:

They look very nice Mate 

:cheers:
Everything’s adjustable

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #5 on: May 29, 2011, 10:53:15 AM
I've had a couple of Muela's through my hands over the years and think they are a very decent knife for the money. :tu:  Like you I've still got a stonking big Bowie by them that I never actually use for anything but is sure fun to have. :D
Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #6 on: May 29, 2011, 11:07:36 AM
Cheers Guys

Mat,
They worked out about £25 (wood) & £40 (stag) GBP each roughly. The site list prices which seem really good, then when you hit checkout they got boosted with 18% tax and insured shipping. I'm still very happy with them at that price though. The Muela feels like it should be more expensive than the Nieto in fairness, but for equivalent Sheffield knives I'd have been paying probably £50-£60 GBP

Paul,
It's aceros-de-hispania <------ Clicky
The prices look VERY good until you get them to checkout. Originally I put 6 items in the basket, but had to hack it down to 3. I'll be going back for more at a later date though  :D No probs with customs, and these two items took a couple of weeks to get in which is pretty much what they said they would

I've had a couple of Muela's through my hands over the years and think they are a very decent knife for the money. :tu:  Like you I've still got a stonking big Bowie by them that I never actually use for anything but is sure fun to have. :D

I'd agree with that mnate  :tu: I use to have an Andujar bowie too which was also very nice. That had TONS of use but got claimed in the 2007 floods, so got the Mueala Jabali as a replacement. This hasn't seen the same use though as I tend to reach for a puukko now - but it's one of my favourite knives. It's a hefty chunk too - about 5mm spine width
« Last Edit: May 29, 2011, 11:38:12 AM by 50ft-trad »

gb Offline Zed

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #7 on: May 29, 2011, 11:22:01 AM
Cheers Guys

Mat,
They worked out about £35-£40 GBP each roughly. The site list prices which seem really good, then when you hit checkout they got boosted with 18% tax and insured shipping. I'm still very happy with them at that price though. The Muela feels like it should be more expensive than the Nieto in fairness, but for equivalent Sheffield knives I'd have been paying probably £50-£60 GBP

Paul,
The prices look VERY good until you get them to checkout. Originally I put 6 items in the basket, but had to hack it down to 3. I'll be going back for more at a later date though  :D

cheer Al, yes this was the site i found the other day but i didnt save it to favourite  :-\ its saved now, i guess the postage is a lot Al, there prices seem pretty good,

i like this one #3  :drool:
http://www.aceros-de-hispania.com/knives-swords/jabali-muela-knives05.asp

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #8 on: May 29, 2011, 11:33:15 AM
Cheers Guys

Mat,
They worked out about £35-£40 GBP each roughly. The site list prices which seem really good, then when you hit checkout they got boosted with 18% tax and insured shipping. I'm still very happy with them at that price though. The Muela feels like it should be more expensive than the Nieto in fairness, but for equivalent Sheffield knives I'd have been paying probably £50-£60 GBP

Paul,
The prices look VERY good until you get them to checkout. Originally I put 6 items in the basket, but had to hack it down to 3. I'll be going back for more at a later date though  :D

cheer Al, yes this was the site i found the other day but i didnt save it to favourite  :-\ its saved now, i guess the postage is a lot Al, there prices seem pretty good,

i like this one #3  :drool:
http://www.aceros-de-hispania.com/knives-swords/jabali-muela-knives05.asp

Mine's the 17-A I fell lucky with it though and got it for £50 off ebay before the big clampdown  :D Can't remember the full breakdown in costs, but the two knives here and a Vic Pioneer Harveter (still waiting for that) came to about £90 with shipping and taxes
« Last Edit: May 29, 2011, 11:37:14 AM by 50ft-trad »

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62
Net Balance: $360.24
Above Goal: $60.24