Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Leatherman Charge Damascus Modification (pic heavy)

Tofty · 47 · 21941

us Offline tattoosteve99

• Absolutely No Life Club
Leatherman Charge Damascus Modification (pic heavy)
Reply #30 on: August 13, 2012, 04:20:44 AM
That tool looks more fabulouser every time I look at it :o :D  Wish I were coming to the meet so I could gaze upon it in person :dd:

I got to have a good look at it in person.  It really is as good as it looks in the pictures. :tu:

That makes me want fly over there and :twak: tofty on the head and run off with the prize :). But I can't :( lol
If I remember correctly, wait, what was I saying?

ca Offline Metropolicity

• No Life Club
  • Hack Virtuoso
Re: Leatherman Charge Damascus Modification (pic heavy)
Reply #31 on: August 13, 2012, 05:08:54 AM
I think I asked this before, but how did you annodize the scales again?

Was it electro magic or heat treated?
Why stop now?

Visit the whole Skinth family here: http://www.skinthsolutions.com

Keep up with The Skinths on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/SkinthSolutions

Shapeways - Metro's Q-branch:
http://www.shapeways.com/shops/metro-qbranch

PayPal: metrogradegoods [at} gmail. com

gb Offline Sparky415

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #32 on: August 13, 2012, 09:02:38 AM
Thanks to Tofty I got to see and play with this at the Meet

It really is a thing of beauty in real life  :drool:  :drool:

It should be in the Louvre  :tu: ( you could send the Mona Lisa away to be cleaned and no one would notice )
Everything’s adjustable

gb Offline Zed

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #33 on: August 13, 2012, 09:37:21 AM

It should be in the Louvre  :tu: ( you could send the Mona Lisa away to be cleaned and no one would notice )

yeah would much rather look at this than the mona lisa  :D   :tu:  any fondling pics tony  :pok:  :D

gb Offline Tofty

Reply #34 on: August 13, 2012, 11:23:38 AM
Thanks guys, it's nice to give it an airing with people who appreciate a good mod.
Now the scales need a good rubdown with acatone to get all the finger prints off.

Sounds like your tools are coming along well Steve, hopefully when it's finished it will be so nice as to distract you from clobbering me over the head.

The scales were electro anodised in 5g/L Ammonium Sulphate solution at around 18-20V using a variable power supply.
Then i did them i didn't realise that titanium should be lightly etched to remove the natural oxide layer so my experiments were unsuccessful until i realised there must be some kind of barrier inhibiting anodising but with no idea how to chemically remove it i just sanded down the front face and tried again with pretty good results.
I'm still not sure what is needed to etch titanium but freshly cut titanium should take the anodising fine. Let me know if you want a bit more infomation on exactly how i built my anodising set-up.

Surely not the Louvre, more likely the Tate Modern, right next to the pile of bricks and the pile of rubbish on a plinth.

I think Neil got some good shots of most things so we can look forward to seeing them.
Pictures of most of my work can be found on my Facebook Page.
Also have a look at my Shapeways Shop and SW Torch Shop for 3D printed items.

gb Offline Zed

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #35 on: August 13, 2012, 11:59:33 AM
Thanks guys, it's nice to give it an airing with people who appreciate a good mod.
Now the scales need a good rubdown with acatone to get all the finger prints off.

Sounds like your tools are coming along well Steve, hopefully when it's finished it will be so nice as to distract you from clobbering me over the head.

The scales were electro anodised in 5g/L Ammonium Sulphate solution at around 18-20V using a variable power supply.
Then i did them i didn't realise that titanium should be lightly etched to remove the natural oxide layer so my experiments were unsuccessful until i realised there must be some kind of barrier inhibiting anodising but with no idea how to chemically remove it i just sanded down the front face and tried again with pretty good results.
I'm still not sure what is needed to etch titanium but freshly cut titanium should take the anodising fine. Let me know if you want a bit more infomation on exactly how i built my anodising set-up.

Surely not the Louvre, more likely the Tate Modern, right next to the pile of bricks and the pile of rubbish on a plinth.

I think Neil got some good shots of most things so we can look forward to seeing them.

pics Neil  :pok:   :pok:  :D

us Offline Hypnos3510

Reply #36 on: August 13, 2012, 08:52:15 PM
That really is some nice work, very cool and very clean. Huge fan.

Sent from my LG-P925 using Tapatalk 2

gb Offline Sparky415

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #37 on: August 13, 2012, 09:43:36 PM

yeah would much rather look at this than the mona lisa  :D   :tu:  any fondling pics tony  :pok:  :D

I can't fondle and photo  :dd:
Everything’s adjustable

ca Offline Metropolicity

• No Life Club
  • Hack Virtuoso
Reply #38 on: August 13, 2012, 09:46:56 PM

I think you can do a quick bath with drain unclogger to get rid of the natural anodizing, I'll give it a go with some solution you suggested, I want to build a unique TTi.

Thanks Toft!
Why stop now?

ca Offline Syph007

• Global Moderator
  • SAK Surgeon
Reply #39 on: August 14, 2012, 02:13:37 AM

I think you can do a quick bath with drain unclogger to get rid of the natural anodizing, I'll give it a go with some solution you suggested, I want to build a unique TTi.

Thanks Toft!

Hey Metro, when I was first trying to strip aluminum oxide I tried draino, not a great result.  Left some brown scum and was sloooow.  I switched to pure lye, sodium hydroxide from home hardware and that stuff worked like a dream.  I dont know if its the same for Ti oxide but I would skip drano, its not pure, and has other crud in it to mess up the reaction.
PM me or email sakmodder [at] gmail . com if you are looking for custom SAK work.

Modding thread : Here
Facebook : SAKModder
Instagram : robertjlessard
Youtube : www.youtube.com/robertjlessard

ca Offline Metropolicity

• No Life Club
  • Hack Virtuoso
Reply #40 on: August 14, 2012, 03:44:24 AM

Thanks Toft!

Hey Metro, when I was first trying to strip aluminum oxide I tried draino, not a great result.  Left some brown scum and was sloooow.  I switched to pure lye, sodium hydroxide from home hardware and that stuff worked like a dream.  I dont know if its the same for Ti oxide but I would skip drano, its not pure, and has other crud in it to mess up the reaction.

Good to know! It's probably over kill, just need to get rid of the thin layer of oxide.

Thanks!

Now...back to the drooling over this Damacus!
Why stop now?

00 Offline Montetobuso

Reply #41 on: September 26, 2012, 04:33:56 AM
I would really like to know about the anodizing in detail; I tried to anodize y TTi with some luck, but didn't really sucseede.. I used an array of 9V batteries, and I googeld the voltage to use
to get a bright blue, and it said 40-45... I got that color, but only in the places my electrode touched the metal (tried to do a bath-thingy). How can you get a bright blue with only 18-20 V?
Amazing mod by the way

us Offline NKlamerus

• No Life Club
  • Captain's Apprentice
Reply #42 on: February 02, 2016, 08:54:23 PM
Still looks great IMO

us Offline jlwatso1

Reply #43 on: February 04, 2016, 01:25:04 PM
Looks awesome! Nice piece of work!  :gimme:

au Offline ReamerPunch

• Thread Killer 2017
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Born to multitask.

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #45 on: April 15, 2018, 02:33:39 PM
This is absolutely stunning!  :o

It's a cracker isn't it? :tu:  I've seen it in real life and, if possible, it looks even better in the hand.
Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

wales Offline hiraethus

• Admin Team
  • I brake for cake
Reply #46 on: April 18, 2018, 09:41:16 AM
 :imws:

It's really very nice indeed.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31