Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Uli Steck Titanium Series

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Re: Uli Steck Titanium Series
Reply #30 on: January 19, 2011, 04:01:50 PM
As I said I will have more info (and pictures!) today, so expect to know a lot more about these later on.  These are actually quite nice in person- I realize they may look awkward in the pictures, but they are actually quite comfortable in the hand.

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

za Offline ?eter

Reply #31 on: January 19, 2011, 04:21:32 PM
This can only come from the company that gave us the Mike Horn Ranger and the Businesstool. Completely out of left field- like the offspring of an Atwood tool and a SAK. As strange as that blade looks, I think it might be pretty handy.

holding thumbs that it's not too expensive...

ca Offline Käfer

Reply #32 on: January 19, 2011, 05:53:04 PM
I actually just watched a film about Ueli Steck the other at the Banff Film Festival World Tour.  It was titled The Swiss Machine.  2:47 to climb Eiger!  Incredible!

Now seeing this knife. . . my respect for him has dropped considerably.

ca Offline Gogoas

Reply #33 on: January 19, 2011, 06:07:09 PM
I actually just watched a film about Ueli Steck the other at the Banff Film Festival World Tour.  It was titled The Swiss Machine.  2:47 to climb Eiger!  Incredible!

Now seeing this knife. . . my respect for him has dropped considerably.
I lol'd

no Offline North Man

• No Life Club
Reply #34 on: January 19, 2011, 09:09:04 PM
I am honest when i say i would not turn it down, i would prefer a standard blade, i found this strange form blade some time ago in a patent that was sent 2009, the blade was closed so i could only see the 3 hex holes.
Everything about the edge is wrong on this blade ???
I do like the shape of the handle with titanium, i must see a demonstration of the blade before i even understand use.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2011, 09:16:23 PM by North Man »
Get more tools

us Offline yud

• No Life Club
  • Still has a SOGgy feeling
Reply #35 on: January 19, 2011, 09:58:20 PM
Def have you ever asked if companies troll around MT.o?

Victorinox and Wenger tend to stick to SOSAKOnline for the most part, while most multitool companies (Leatherman, Gerber, CRKT and SOG) spend an awful lot of time looking in here.  That's not me trying to make us sound important, it is the truth.  I spend a fair bit of time discussing the things that are said here with the various reps form the different companies.

Some agree with what we say, some don't, but they all respect what we have here as an honest, realistic form of feedback on what they are doing.  Because of that, they don't participate simply because they want the things we say here to be completely unbiased.

Don't think for a moment that companies aren't reading this though.  Ask yourself this- if you were a manufacturer, wouldn't you be reading the forum?  :D

Def
Yes I would but I have found that what I would do is not always in line with what others would.

Just another weirdo with a beard :B:

Knight of the SOSAK and Defender of the sacred nail file

ar Offline mcniac

• Administrator
  • Don't Panic!
Reply #36 on: January 20, 2011, 12:24:04 AM
sweet now i will need one of those!!! i hope the price is low enough for me :)

Esteban

us Offline BIG-TARGET

• No Life Club
  • "Survival must be earned"-Klingon Proverb
Reply #37 on: January 20, 2011, 02:32:26 AM
Hey guys- I see that this one has been announced already, but here are a couple of my pics:

(Image removed from quote.)

(Image removed from quote.)

Frankly I think these are excellent, and I can't wait to try them out.  Like the New Rangers, the shield is the lock release mechanism.  I'll be talking to Wenger CEO Peter Hug about them for a formal presentation tomorrow, and I have a few more pics now, but these are just to warm you up a bit.

There are three different models, but basically these have all been designed by Uli Steck, an extreme mountain climber.  You really have to see them in person to appreciate them- I think they are the most exciting thing I've seen all day!

Def

Def;
 I hope you gave Felinevet Tim the heads up on this baby :tu:
"Some rise by sin, and some by virtue fall;
 Some run from breaks of ice, and answer none:
 And some condemned for a fault alone." -William Shakespeare, King Lear (1608), Act IV, scene 6, line 169

us Offline ICanFixThat

• No Life Club
Reply #38 on: January 20, 2011, 03:56:00 AM
If you go back there, or send them an email, can you ask them for the specifics on the titanium metallurgy. Everyone like to say titanium (it sounds cool... it looks cool... it is cool...), but it does not tell you enough.

us Offline CENTURION

Reply #39 on: January 20, 2011, 04:43:14 AM
I'm not really a SAK guy, but one of these might find its way into my setup...

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #40 on: January 20, 2011, 06:47:41 AM
MSRP is hefty on these.

Ueli Steck model= $220
Titanium 1= $150
Titanium 2= $160

I'm sure when Tim gets access to them he'll do what he can for members!

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

no Offline North Man

• No Life Club
Reply #41 on: January 20, 2011, 12:46:04 PM

Ops! Not in my price range...
Get more tools

de Offline Jmora

Reply #42 on: January 20, 2011, 12:57:20 PM
what reason do they give for the high price? is it just the titanium? Otherwise it doesn't appear to differ from a 40dollar ranger in materials and tool layout. The Mike Horn Ranger looks cheap by comparison.

us Offline yud

• No Life Club
  • Still has a SOGgy feeling
Reply #43 on: January 20, 2011, 02:28:14 PM
MSRP is hefty on these.

Ueli Steck model= $220
Titanium 1= $150
Titanium 2= $160

I'm sure when Tim gets access to them he'll do what he can for members!

Def
oh well

Just another weirdo with a beard :B:

Knight of the SOSAK and Defender of the sacred nail file

ca Offline MTguy

Reply #44 on: January 20, 2011, 02:50:21 PM
Too much money for me to justify buying it. It is nice looking though.

um Offline Mr. Whippy

• Global Moderator
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • North American Meetup: May13-15 2011
Reply #45 on: January 20, 2011, 03:45:25 PM
Agree.  Too rich to purchase for testing purposes.  :(

us Offline hankenstein60

Reply #46 on: January 20, 2011, 09:05:21 PM
UGLY !!!! CHEESE AND RICE !  I would be worried people would laugh at me for using it !

us Offline Wire Edge

Reply #47 on: January 20, 2011, 09:08:33 PM
That blade just seems like a bad idea.  Looks like something for sale at your local gas station.  However, the rest of the knife is pretty neat.  Fingers crossed that they put an original spearpoint blade in that handle.

spam Offline radioz

Reply #48 on: January 20, 2011, 09:45:22 PM
Strange looking!

Looks like brass knuckles for someone with tiny fingers!!  :rofl:

Offline P35

Reply #49 on: January 21, 2011, 12:05:12 AM
IMO that blade is just so out of place, If it had a normal sak blade this thing would look beautiful.

I agree, as it stands now its butt ugly

ca Offline jzmtl

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #50 on: January 21, 2011, 06:35:42 AM
Looks like a very functional, albeit not pretty, way of adding nut wrenches. But as other said price is too much for me.

us Offline ICanFixThat

• No Life Club
Re: Ueli Steck Titanium Series
Reply #51 on: June 04, 2011, 03:52:33 PM
Reviving this topic since I finally got my hands on the Ueli Steck Special Edition.

These are very nice looking.  In actual cutting use the blade is actually quite good, but folded it's just not a knife for your pocket.  Works fine in the nice pouch provided.

The rivets are resessed which is very nice, but maybe not the best news for modders as it appears without a special tool peening would not be possible, or maybe just difficult.  Maybe a tool can be made from a standard punch.

The scales are hollowed out a bit, and brass or aluminum bronze spacers/washers are used between the scales and the tool. 

The surprising thing is my sample has a QC issue. Given the couple other recent QC issues shown here on new knives, it appears Wenger QC really is still in need of improvement.  On mine the can-opener won't close after opening as it hits the top of the caplifter, it need a slight lateral push.  Due to the sloping of the tools the caplifter tool has no problem, and there is no problem (Rubbing) once the canopener clears the capfilter due to the angles involved.  This is quite surprising for a new expensive knife.  I probably won't be sending it for repair as I don't have the patients for such things.  The knife is not likely to be a much of a user for me. 

One major annoyance in the keyring attachment.  The attachment point is on the steel liner-lock, but in the worst position ever, it really digs into my hand.  There is plenty of room for it to be moved to the back of the liner/knife coming of the tail end. If I ever do use this knife I have to remove that first, it's just about the worst position.

The Ueli Steck SE model uses 1 aluminum liner between the file and the lifters.  This looks a bit strange as the all you see is polished stainless steel and Titanium everywhere else.  They should use a polished steel liner like the linerlock/liner except thinner just to have it look right. 

Some good news is I was able to get the knife to my door for less than $150, that's quite a bit less than the retail prices we were seeing.  I was also able to get the Titanium II for just over $100. 

I could see a knife like this becoming a very nice pocket knife with the right tools, that I'd pay $100 for.  I'm hoping there is a Titanium X in the near future with just scissors and spear-point blade.  With the built-in bit-driver, that is all I would need.  I'd also like to see a Titanium X+1 that adds small pliers to my Titanium X configuration. 

Having the liner-lock with button release on this size of pocket knife is a dream.  I really hope Wenger is able to turn this in to a more complete series.  This could be the start of something really great.

« Last Edit: June 04, 2011, 04:05:13 PM by ICanFixThat »

us Offline ari6126

• No Life Club
  • Colors!
Reply #52 on: June 04, 2011, 03:57:31 PM
Great write up. Pictures please  :pok:

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #53 on: June 04, 2011, 04:26:33 PM
Really wouldn't have expected any QC issues from Wenger these days, it's a shame. :-\
Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

us Offline ICanFixThat

• No Life Club
Reply #54 on: June 04, 2011, 07:03:58 PM
Some good pictures in the SOSAK review of this knife.

I took these quick shots for the wiki.

« Last Edit: June 04, 2011, 08:06:11 PM by ICanFixThat »

ca Online Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Armed with camera and not afraid to use it.
Reply #55 on: June 05, 2011, 01:21:33 AM
That does look good.
A little Leatherman information.

Leatherman series articles

us Offline felinevet

• Banner Member
  • No Life Club
Reply #56 on: June 05, 2011, 03:23:56 AM
I'm getting used to the design. I have them available for $145. and $110. in the FELINEVET Shop.
T

us Offline gustophersmob

• No Life Club
  • <><
Reply #57 on: June 05, 2011, 04:12:34 AM
I really like the Titanium look, and the liner lock.  I don't even really hate the blade, but it just looks like it would be too uncomfortable to use any of the other tools with the big hump, and I don't like serrations.

I like your "X" idea.  Put a normal blade shape (but thick like this one) in, with some different tools, keep the linerlock ans scales...  :drool:

It would also be cool if it could be held together with screws rather than pins.  May make it easier to maintain/repair later on down the road.  May not work well with the backsprings, though. 
If the trees blew down the wind and no one was around, would the alphabet song really go backwards?

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #58 on: June 05, 2011, 03:38:08 PM
Some good pictures in the SOSAK review of this knife.

An excellent review there sir. :salute: Well worth checking out.
In order to be certain of having the right tool for every job.........one must first acquire a lot of tools

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
June Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Jun 30
Total Receipts: $139.46
PayPal Fees: $8.05
Net Balance: $131.41
Below Goal: $168.59
Site Currency: USD
44%