Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

paypal fraud

Zed · 39 · 3234

gb Offline Zed

• Zombie Apprentice
paypal fraud
on: June 06, 2011, 11:49:01 AM
This am i had a email from paypal asking to change my details, basicaly someone has hacked my paypal and tried to transfere £100 out of it, although i never have this amount in ther, infact i had 80p  :D so its gone to a bank tranfere, ive contacted paypal but not heard back yet, ive also gone to my bank as for one i dont have this amount in my acount in my acount so i will get a £30 bank charge, the bank cant block it but will sort out the charge if it happens, has anyone else had paypal problems as im now getting put off paypal ,  :-\

paul

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
Re: paypal fraud
Reply #1 on: June 06, 2011, 12:02:03 PM
Are you sure it wasn't the email that was a hoax?

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

gb Offline Zed

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #2 on: June 06, 2011, 12:04:46 PM
Are you sure it wasn't the email that was a hoax?

i did think this so i went straight onto paypal and was asked to change my details as there was possible fraud, although they still accepted it  :think:

this is the email,

We need your help resolving an issue with your account. To give us time towork together on this, we've temporarily limited what you can do with youraccount until the issue is resolved. We understand it may be frustrating not to have full access to your PayPalaccount. We want to work with you to get your account back to normal asquickly as possible. What's the problem? We want to make sure that no one has logged in to your account without yourpermission.  Please take a moment to change your password and create new securityquestions. You should also take a look at your account information andrecent transactions. Make sure that your account information (address,phone number, etc) hasn't changed. You can do all of this by selecting theprofile link in the header on the Account Overview page.  If you see a payment that you don't recognise, let us know by going to theResolution Centre. Click "Dispute a Transaction" to report an unauthorisedtransaction.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2011, 12:10:26 PM by Zed »

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #3 on: June 06, 2011, 01:06:46 PM
Prob the easiest way to see if the email is legit, is to right click on one of the hyperlinks which should take you to paypal (NOT left click) which should bring up an options box. Click "copy shortcut" or whatever the option is on your browser then paste this into a word document or something.

The dodgy emails SAY paypal targets on the links, but have a different target behind them, which is how they start to rob you. If what you pasted starts http://www,paypal,co,uk or http://www,paypal,com etc, then it's taking you where you should be going. The dodgy ones will prob say paypal in there somewhere but might start with an IP No or some other random (though poss legitimate sounding) domain name http://www,absolutely-not-dodgy-smurf-whatsoever-honest,paypalsecurity,com

I'm far from an expert on this, but that's what I do to see if the email is sound. Golden rule with clicking hyperlinks - if in doubt - DON'T! Then you need to go to paypal off a seperate browser page and enter the web address manually so you know you're going to the real deal to check out what's really happening with your account. Same with the bank, but if there's a genuine issue with PP it's better to phone them if poss

No doubt someone will be along in a mo to tell me if I'm talking out the wrong orifice  :D

gb Offline Zed

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #4 on: June 06, 2011, 01:12:19 PM
cheers al, it all seems ligit as when i went onto paypal they asked me to change my details, im still waiting on a reply from them  :-\ the bank said they will sort out the bank charge if it goes through but they cant do anything till it gets transfered , i cant afford to lose £30 these days , if they dont sort it i will close my paypal acount, but then ill lose out as wont beable to buy nowt,  :ahhh  i hope to hear from them soon ,and hope they act quick  :-\

cs Offline edcgear

• No Life Club
Reply #5 on: June 06, 2011, 01:51:02 PM
Not much in this... I'm new in PP, but would like to follow and see what happens, please do update...  :salute: :salute:
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
There is method to my madness....
http://svakodnevnesitnice.blogspot.com/

gb Offline Zed

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #6 on: June 06, 2011, 02:08:10 PM
Not much in this... I'm new in PP, but would like to follow and see what happens, please do update...  :salute: :salute:

:tu:

basicaly it looks like ive been hacked for £100 but no funds in paypal to cover it so its gone to a bank transfere. still email from paypal .

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #7 on: June 06, 2011, 02:23:17 PM
Paul, just in case we're at cross purposes ... if you went to paypal FROM that email and it was dodgy, you will have done exactly what the scammers wanted .... you won't have gone to PP - just somewhere that is meant to look like PP ... so they won't be getting back to you, they'll just be using the details you entered to go and buy stuff. I had a dodgy one a year or so ago and actually phoned PP to verify as it looked convincing. They said it was a hoax and could I forward them a copy of it. Thankfully I hadn't clicked on the hyperlinks to the fake PP site and entered my details, so the scammers didn't succeed.

I'd be tempted to phone Paypal if you can and explain the problem, but don't use anything from the email. Type the address in a new browswer window manually and get the phone number from there. I hope I'm wrong and the email was legit and they're already fixing the problem ... but it's safer to check  :tu:

IN FACT .... Go to Paypal ... new browser window, address entered manually (NOT from the email) .... and try to log in with your NEW password. If it tells you to go forth and ... you know ... then you've been had. You weren't changing you details, just telling someone else your original details. If your new password works, then check recent transactions and make sure there's nothing squiffy ... even if it's a few pence. Apparently a lot of scammers try small nominal 99p type transactions to make sure it's working before taking bigger slices. Just make sure you're on the REAL PP (in case you haven't already).

Whatever happens - good luck  :tu:

EDIT: I think most PP hits are from phishing emails and folks freely handing over their info so someone they think is PP but isn't rather than PP accounts actually being hacked.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2011, 02:29:48 PM by 50ft-trad »

gb Offline Zed

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #8 on: June 06, 2011, 02:33:21 PM
Paul, just in case we're at cross purposes ... if you went to paypal FROM that email and it was dodgy, you will have done exactly what the scammers wanted .... you won't have gone to PP - just somewhere that is meant to look like PP ... so they won't be getting back to you, they'll just be using the details you entered to go and buy stuff. I had a dodgy one a year or so ago and actually phoned PP to verify as it looked convincing. They said it was a hoax and could I forward them a copy of it. Thankfully I hadn't clicked on the hyperlinks to the fake PP site and entered my details, so the scammers didn't succeed.

I'd be tempted to phone Paypal if you can and explain the problem, but don't use anything from the email. Type the address in a new browswer window manually and get the phone number from there. I hope I'm wrong and the email was legit and they're already fixing the problem ... but it's safer to check  :tu:

IN FACT .... Go to Paypal ... new browser window, address entered manually (NOT from the email) .... and try to log in with your NEW password. If it tells you to go forth and ... you know ... then you've been had. You weren't changing you details, just telling someone else your original details. If your new password works, then check recent transactions and make sure there's nothing squiffy ... even if it's a few pence. Apparently a lot of scammers try small nominal 99p type transactions to make sure it's working before taking bigger slices. Just make sure you're on the REAL PP (in case you haven't already).

EDIT: I think most PP hits are from phishing emails and folks freely handing over their info so someone they think is PP but isn't rather than PP accounts actually being hacked.

yeah i never open paypal from a email as i dont trust them i went straight onto paypal ,and it all tallies up, :tu:

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #9 on: June 06, 2011, 02:35:17 PM

yeah i never open paypal from a email as i dont trust them i went straight onto paypal ,and it all tallies up, :tu:

Phew!!  OK, mate  :D
Good luck with it all, and let us know how you get on  :tu:

gb Offline Zed

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #10 on: June 06, 2011, 02:41:00 PM

Phew!!  OK, mate  :D
Good luck with it all, and let us know how you get on  :tu:

:tu: will do mate and thanks for the replys. :salute:

ni-ulster Offline cerbera147

• No Life Club
Reply #11 on: June 06, 2011, 03:26:31 PM
I wonder how many people keep a large balance within their Paypal  :think:

If I buy using Paypal it is taken direct from my linked account unless I happen to have sold something and have a Paypal balance.

gb Offline Zed

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #12 on: June 06, 2011, 03:33:23 PM
I wonder how many people keep a large balance within their Paypal  :think:

If I buy using Paypal it is taken direct from my linked account unless I happen to have sold something and have a Paypal balance.

with me its a case of when i sell something the money goes in to paypal and doesnt stay there very long  ;) as i usual sell to buy something else as the only way i can do it, i never have much in there, infact the most ive ever had in paypal is £250 a couple of years back when i sold one of my bikes, and that was spent on another bike in about 2 hours time  :D i have heard of people having the acount hackked and large sums taken out,  :-\

gb Offline Zed

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #13 on: June 06, 2011, 04:08:10 PM
I cant even log onto paypal now so tried to change my pass word again  :think: still cant get on, getting hacked off with it now  :rant:

us Offline Ashley

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • AKA Knife Crazied
Reply #14 on: June 06, 2011, 11:17:11 PM
I receieved that message once and it was for real. I've also received alot of fakes.  :D

us Offline David

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #15 on: June 07, 2011, 12:32:12 AM
Back in 07 I used my debit card on PP and forgot to remove my debit card info and someone hacked my PP account and cleaned my bank account out of over $3,200 with my debit card. PP and my bank took care of it but I left for Israel for two weeks a couple days after it happened. I didn't know what PP and the bank had decided to do till I got home. That was a long two weeks.
What? Enablers! Are you serrrrious? Where? I dont see any.
Hold Fast

gb Offline Zed

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #16 on: June 07, 2011, 06:43:34 AM
Back in 07 I used my debit card on PP and forgot to remove my debit card info and someone hacked my PP account and cleaned my bank account out of over $3,200 with my debit card. PP and my bank took care of it but I left for Israel for two weeks a couple days after it happened. I didn't know what PP and the bank had decided to do till I got home. That was a long two weeks.

:o $3,200  :-\ mine is only £100 but i cant afford to lose this amount , i cant even afford the £30 bank charge ill get, im really anoyed with this as ive still not heard from paypal and it was them that sent me 2 emails saying to change my details as a possibly problem on my account and they have limited my paypal use, ive still not had a reply this am from paypal, i dont wont to close my account as it will limit my buying on line but im heading that way if they dont sort this out soon,  :-\

ni-ulster Offline cerbera147

• No Life Club
Reply #17 on: June 07, 2011, 09:07:10 AM
I think if someone hacked my bank account they would be very disappointed  :ahhh

Perhaps they would feel sorry for me and transfer some cash to me  :D

gb Offline Zed

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #18 on: June 07, 2011, 09:12:42 AM
I think if someone hacked my bank account they would be very disappointed  :ahhh

:rofl: me too dan, i had £40 in there yesterday and had to draw it out as if i ended up with this going through and possibly will i would be left wi th a tenner after bank charges  :-\ with the girls party this weekend that would not work too well, as i work part time as me and angie juggle the kids and i work in care that sadly pays crap ive never much in my account anyway,

still no email,  :-\
« Last Edit: June 07, 2011, 09:14:32 AM by Zed »

cs Offline Vladimir

• No Life Club
Reply #19 on: June 07, 2011, 09:22:52 AM

:D

cy Offline dks

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bored
Reply #20 on: June 07, 2011, 01:05:27 PM
 :tu:  Good luck Zed.

I tend to get similarly worded BUT  spam/scam emails at least once a month. I just ignore them.

I don´t keep any money in my paypal account, unless I get a refund; I have not sold anything yet. :D I need all my tools.
Kelly: "Daddy, what makes men cheat on women?
Al : "Women!"

[ Knife threads ]  [ Country shopping guides ]  [ Battery-Charger-Light threads ]  [ Picture threads ]

gb Offline Zed

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #21 on: June 07, 2011, 01:21:48 PM
:tu:  Good luck Zed.

I tend to get similarly worded BUT  spam/scam emails at least once a month. I just ignore them.

I don´t keep any money in my paypal account, unless I get a refund; I have not sold anything yet. :D I need all my tools.

:cheers:  cheers mate, i also get a few dodgy emails and have had some paypla ones before but i ignore them and go straight onto paypal, i use paypal alot for buying and selling, so will be a loss if i close it, but ill just trade instead  :D im a bit anoyed that they was quick to notice a problem but still alowed it but slow to return my fraud alert,  :think: my bank is just as crap,  :rant: ive used paypal for a few years now and generaly not had any problems so ill give them the benifit of the doubt .

cy Offline dks

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bored
Reply #22 on: June 07, 2011, 01:29:58 PM
On a positive note, the longer they take to sort the problem out, the more money you save!  :cheers:

[ Knife threads ]  [ Country shopping guides ]  [ Battery-Charger-Light threads ]  [ Picture threads ]

gb Offline Zed

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #23 on: June 07, 2011, 01:33:01 PM
On a positive note, the longer they take to sort the problem out, the more money you save!  :cheers:

:rofl:  this is true, although i only have 80p in there and i cant even spend that  :D  but im really thinking of getting a charge and i possibly have a few trades, its been a long time coming as a long time user of the wave  ;)

gb Offline Zed

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #24 on: June 09, 2011, 10:32:46 AM
well still no contact from paypal, im not happy with them and sent them another message to do basicaly saying if i get no contact from them today i want my account closed, i would do it now but due to them restricting it i can close it, it will cripple my buying stuff but TBH i cant sell nowt these days and this is the only way i make money to buy stuff so ill have to to a break from getting stuff for a while ,

cy Offline dks

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bored
Reply #25 on: June 09, 2011, 11:56:53 AM
Don’t hold your breath, I once had a refund from Paypal, 2+ months after a case was decided (a seller was shut down by eBay and I had already paid for an item).

What I found works sometimes is to try and go to Live Help; I know eBay has it but I do not know if Paypal does too.  ???

I just had to Google TBH, I thought it was a secret swearing code...  :D

gb Offline Zed

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #26 on: June 09, 2011, 01:02:15 PM
Don’t hold your breath, I once had a refund from Paypal, 2+ months after a case was decided (a seller was shut down by eBay and I had already paid for an item).

What I found works sometimes is to try and go to Live Help; I know eBay has it but I do not know if Paypal does too.  ???

I just had to Google TBH, I thought it was a secret swearing code...  :D

:-\ i sent them scans of my driving license and a bank statement as i need this sorted before i can close the account,

gb Offline Sparky415

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #27 on: June 09, 2011, 02:36:09 PM

:rofl:  this is true, although i only have 80p in there and i cant even spend that  :D  but im really thinking of getting a charge and i possibly have a few trades, its been a long time coming as a long time user of the wave  ;)

:drool:

Good luck with it all Mate :tu:
Everything’s adjustable

gb Offline Zed

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #28 on: June 09, 2011, 02:45:02 PM

gb Offline Zed

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #29 on: June 09, 2011, 02:46:16 PM

not sure what happended there, my pc went odd  :think: 

so what can i buy for 80p  :rofl:

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41