Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Shipping " multitools / knives " to foreign countries ...

us Offline eodtech

• No Life Club
  • Rule #9 - Never go anywhere without a knife.
From EDC forum:
[quote ]
The main reason that I don't like to ship internationally is because of the high cost of shipping, which can make a good deal a not so good deal.  Sure there are relatively inexpensive ways to ship but most of the stuff I sell is expensive.  If I was to ship this knife(which has a value of $200 plus) outside the US, I would want to make sure it was trackable and insured as would the buyer.  I can count on three fingers how many times I've shipped internationally so by no means am I an expert on this, so if anyone can recommend a cost effective secure international shipping method, by all means let me know.

Here are a few good pointers that work for me:

Ship Global Priority ( U S Postal Service )  using a $5.25 Flat Rate heavy duty mailing container  for 4 day delivery just about any where in the world and insurance is included in most cases - usually up to $70 - depending on the country where it is destined. With a short transit time there is less of a chance of the parcel being lost - and the Global Priority parcels get preference in being delivered first. I have had problems shipping other ways overseas ( theft and breakage ) , but NEVER have had a problem since I started using the flat rate Global Priority from the USA and I have been using the system for close to 2 years.

For larger items there is a $9.00 flat rate ( for all you can fit in the cardboard container ) shipping container any where in the world.

As long as you have a receipt to prove you mailed it who cares about tracking - you have proof you sent it. You can buy additional insurance in some cases depending on the destinaation of the package.

HINT #1 DO NOT show "knife or multitool" on the Customs declaration - show " small tool" and you won't run the risk of having it opened so all the people at the Post Office overseas can look at it !!!!  I know from experience that happens ...

HINT #2 When you use the " Flat Rate " containers -  in the case of shipping a knife / multitool - A. take the knife out of the box and fold the box flat - not so bulky. B. I always " double wrap the knife - put it first in a  second " Flat Rate " envelope and fold it over ( like roll it up ) and seal it - put your name/address  on the outside of the rolled up container in case the outer one gets messed up. THEN take the rolled up package with the items in in and insert it into another " Flat Rate " container for mailing. Beacause it's the same price ( flat rate ) who cares how much it weighs as long as it is secure. There are weight restrictions on these Flat Rate containers but it's 3 or 4 pounds.

HINT #3 for domestic mail.  I have mailed identical packages ( over 16 ounces ) to the same person on the same day using 1st class and Priority Mail - both arrived at the same time. If I have a heavy object to mail 1st class I put it in a Priority Mail box and then wrap the box in brown paper and send it 1st class. For those that don't mail a lot of items  boxes are getting expensive - if you don't mail a lot use the free USPS Priority mail boxes ( if you want to purchase nice plain shipping boxes - if you do a lot of shipping ) - the best SOS is :   www.quill.com ..  all orders over $45 are shipped free and they have like a 600 page discount office supply catalog to order from.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2006, 12:19:01 PM by eodtech »
Why do I carry a 45 ?
Because they don't make a 46 !

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Re: Shipping " multitools / knives " to foreign countries ...
Reply #1 on: October 26, 2006, 09:18:39 PM
Thanks for the tips!  Lots of folks think that shipping out of the country is an involved and fruitless process but it really isn't.  It's nice to see you helping folks get over their fears!

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

Offline HankZudd

Reply #2 on: November 28, 2006, 03:08:10 AM
I agree with the global priority shipping. I've shipped lots of knives to europe (strider SMF) & canada and only had a cheap kershaw vapor stolen around christmas (to canada).  Guy I shipped it to sez there's lots of that around that time since the Post hires lots of temp workers who are good at stealing.
d

Offline Anthony

• No Life Club
  • Improvise.
Reply #3 on: December 07, 2006, 06:14:59 AM
If you coulden't tell by my name already...I'm in the shipping biz.  International is a pain...an expensive pain in most cases.  UPS is the most reliable IMO, although more expensive than the post office. 

A trick I learned a while back was to take the free Priority mail boxes and flip them inside out!  Just reglue the spine and tape it up.  I heard they are now printing USPS PRIORITY MAIL on the inside of the boxes now, but I don't know if it's true.

Another trick is use reinforced paper tape (the kind you have to wet with water) and use a lot of it; crossgrain it if you have to!.  It's more difficult to quickly open, in the case some kid decided to pop a box open at a PO, he'll probably go for the easy one with the plastic tape that rips off easily.
[

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #4 on: December 07, 2006, 12:03:00 PM
I have to disagree with the comment about international shipping.  I have sent stuff all over the world many times, and recieved stuff from all over the world many times and only once has something gone missing.

Other than that one time, I've never had an issue at all.  Sometimes it takes a little longer, but that's no big deal.  I guess it helps a bit that all my packages are automatically insured for $100 if they get lost or stolen though.

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

us Offline eodtech

• No Life Club
Reply #5 on: September 19, 2009, 02:26:38 PM
There have been a couple recent post and pics of items breaking through mailing envelopes.   :ahhh

These flimsy 3M or Post Office brown / white  mailing bags are useless UNLESS the sender double wraps the MT or knife in bubble wrap and that's not a cure all.

I  seldom use the brown 3M bag mailers for " light weight " items but when I do I always wrap them in bubble wrap first to eliminate the sharp edges or just to prevent the weight of the item from breaking through the bag. Once I have used up the last of my 3M bags on hand I'm done with them. It's not worth the possible grief and aggravation to worry about merchandise arriving at it's destination based on the pictures recently posted on MTO.

I have gone to double wrapping items in Tyvek envelopes.  The inner wrapped Tyvek envelope for those in the USA are FREE at the post office - use the Priority Mail ones.  #2. I ALWAYS put a card inside the inner packing with MY name and address in case it does get ripped through the outside wrapper - that ID's the package so it can be returned. The outside wrapper is also TYVEK  - plain white which are quite inexpensive when you buy them on e-Bay shipped free. Using a plain white one allows it to be mailed first class, parcel post, etc.

You as the BUYER always have the say in the mailing process, after all it's your money paying to get the item. INSIST the item be shipped double wrapped and mailed in Tyvek or a cardboard box ( USA Priority Mail boxes are FREE)  and if you print the postage on your computer a small flat rate PM box with Delivery Confirmation the postage is discounted to only $4.80 - the Delivery Confirmation is FREE.

You as a SELLER have the responsibility to properly package the merchandise you are sending - it's not any money out of your pocket, just make sure you charge enough $$$ when selling items and relate to the buyer the extra care you take in sending you products. I recently have received items in brown mailing bags and in the future if I buy from these individuals will insist in one of the above mailing techniques.

Want a FREE supply of non Priority Mail plain Jane small cardboard boxes for mailing stuff?  I have the parts manager at the local HONDA dealer save them for me in a LARGE box, he just throws the small boxes in the BIG box and I pick them up once a week. When I have a stock pile I tell him and he returns to putting them in the trash. IT's easier for him to save them for me than it is to break them down and throw them away. I am sure any parts manager at any auto dealer will do this for you, just slip him a SAK ( from TIM ) every now and then and you'll get ALL the small boxes you need for shipping!

I have shipped hundreds of MT's and knives and NEVER had anyone  complain of the package breaking open in transit.

Hope this helps...   :mail:
« Last Edit: September 19, 2009, 02:34:05 PM by eodtech »
Why do I carry a 45 ?

at Offline Woz

• No Life Club
Reply #6 on: September 19, 2009, 03:40:26 PM
I recieved about 100 packages from the US in the last 5 years, and just 2 got lost. One very cheap item where I do not even trust the dealer that he ever sent it, and one 20 dollar item that was sent USPS First class International. I ask for Priority mail ever since, for it is trackable and insured if the value of the package is high enough. There´s always a little risk, but very little.

If I order something worth more than 100 bucks I prefer UPS or FedEx, but I guess USPS tracked and insured services are as good.
BTW: When I sent out items anywhere out of Austria I always use tracked and insured shipping - but shipping costs are much highter here up to 4x US prices for comparable services. What I really hate is if the sender tells me that shipping is 40 bucks and when I get the package I see it was only 19.- It happens quite often that US stores double the real shipping rate outside the US, some even want more money. I do not know why, but it is quite common, German forums are full of complaints. When I wanted to get an Alpha M65 Jacket a year ago a well known US shop asked 85 bucks for the jacket - and 125 for shipping to Austria. Crazy!
edc-reviews.blogspot.com

gb Offline nuphoria

• Ambidangerous Mistress of Mod
  • Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not all bad, I'm just drawn that way.
Reply #7 on: September 19, 2009, 04:10:12 PM
Thanks so much for posting this Andrew, it solves a conversation I have been having with Kel!

+1 on your service too, I have received stuff over the water from you and it's always 100%  :tu:

The only other thing I would mention here is about taxes. If you are sending to a friend/forum member etc, be aware that they may well incur nasty taxes plus admin fees at their end if the value is high enough to attract attention. That said, it is of course at the discretion of the sender to put what they like on the customs form - I am not suggesting you do anything you feel uncomfortable with.

In the UK for instance, our current limit is about $30/£18 for items marked "GIFT". This will avoid customs attention 99.9% of the time I reckon :)

edit: Since people seem to be getting mail stolen lots these days it's also a good idea to mark the items down as less interesting than "lovely shiny knife" etc! Camping tools is a fave of mine, or craft parts etc.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2009, 05:50:52 PM by nuphoria »
A dyslexic man walks in to a bra...

All my music for free: http://soundcloud.com/chrissyvandyke

au Offline MultiMat

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • The MTO handshake.
Reply #8 on: September 19, 2009, 05:26:37 PM
Andrew I did not know about the Global Priority was such a good value option with insurance included  8) 8).

Most of my tools come from the US  in the USPS international first class boxes costing around $15us too Australia & no insurance at all. When I have added insurance it has normally cost a fare bit too do  :think: :think:.

"Downunder Mod (that sounds dirty, doesn't it?)"
Yeh Baby :P >:D >:D

us Offline Pacu

Reply #9 on: September 19, 2009, 05:47:18 PM
This should be sticky-ed :D

Great info guys :tu:
:like:    :MTO:

us Offline ducktapehero

• No Life Club
  • Plants should be smoked, not eaten.
Reply #10 on: September 19, 2009, 11:39:02 PM
This should be sticky-ed :D
I second the sticky recommendation. This is good info.
http://ducksrandomthoughts.blogspot.com - or follow me on Twitter- @ducksthoughts

It's hard to say nipple without smirking.

ca Offline Shane769

• No Life Club
  • Gone Climbing.
Reply #11 on: September 19, 2009, 11:56:46 PM
Great info, from everyone contributing here :cheers:

Thanks a bunch guys
"I would rather live 40 years of excitement and fun and exhilarating and just WOOOO, full volume, then 80 years of la di di di da... you know... boring. Why not get out there and live it?!"

us Offline eodtech

• No Life Club
Reply #12 on: September 20, 2009, 03:51:14 AM
Customs dec basics

#1. EVERYTHING is a gift.

#2. Price is ALWAYS less that US$25.

#3. Knives are listed as " cutters" , MT's  are listed as " plyers " ( mis spelled on purpose). other items are listed as " stuff ".

Why do I carry a 45 ?

Offline max6166

• No Life Club
Reply #13 on: September 20, 2009, 05:33:45 AM
Customs dec basics

#1. EVERYTHING is a gift.

I just wanted to clarify that a seller is not required to mark a package as a "Gift". Some sellers do it as a favour, while other sellers find it objectionable.

In other words, a buyer should not expect a seller to declare an item as a "Gift", and should respect the seller's decision in this matter.  

Sellers should NEVER inflate the market value of the items, however. Many sellers seem to think the value is for insurance purposes, or they enter the value they think the item is worth instead of what was paid. The value is only used to calculate customs fees. Nothing else.

People should also be aware that UPS, FedEx, DHL, etc. usually charge $20+ dollars in additional fees for "customs fees handling". In other words, they will charge you $21 if customs charged you $1. And invariably, all my courier deliveries have "magically" incurred customs fees.

With USPS, you simply pay the amount owed. Sellers should note this too, because many int'l buyers will not buy from you unless USPS is an option for this very reason.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2009, 05:36:45 AM by max6166 »
[

ca Offline jzmtl

Reply #14 on: September 20, 2009, 06:13:18 AM
With USPS, you simply pay the amount owed. Sellers should note this too, because many int'l buyers will not buy from you unless USPS is an option for this very reason.

Post office charge a $8 brokerage fee I recall. My battery shipment via priority got nailed and I think that's how much I paid in addition to tax.

Offline max6166

• No Life Club
Reply #15 on: September 20, 2009, 08:13:56 AM

Post office charge a $8 brokerage fee I recall. My battery shipment via priority got nailed and I think that's how much I paid in addition to tax.

Dang, you are right. From http://www.canadapost.ca/tools/pg/manual/pgcustoms-e.asp#1382719 :

"A handling fee of $5CDN per dutiable or taxable mail item is applied ($8CDN for EMS items)."

Is this recent? I have never been charged that fee, though I also haven't been dinged by customs in at least a year or two.

HST also incurs this handling fee, so you would see it more often than us in Ontario. We are going to get HST soon as well though.

Still $5 is a LOT better than $20+...

[

ca Offline jzmtl

Reply #16 on: September 20, 2009, 08:18:51 AM
I only got nailed twice by post office so far so don't know. *knock on wood*

us Offline eodtech

• No Life Club
Reply #17 on: September 21, 2009, 09:08:56 AM
CORRECTION:

and if you print the postage on your computer a small flat rate PM box with Delivery Confirmation the postage is discounted to only $4.80 - the Delivery Confirmation is FREE.

The $4.80 charge is for Domestic USA - Priority Mail flat rate box, the International Priority Mail flat rate box is a minimum $12 depending on the country it is being sent to, other countries are higher.

In "most" cases sending items to Canada is less expensive sending them via First Class mail vs International Priority Mail and using Tyvek envelopes, double wrapped.

The eBay seller I use for TYVEK envelopes is  PTB626

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=290338588320

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=300344071760

You will find the Tyvek is a LITTLE more expensive than the 3M brown paper manila envelopes, BUT you will pay less in postage as well as have a more secure shipping container.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2009, 09:54:29 AM by eodtech »
Why do I carry a 45 ?

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
May Goal: $300.00
Due Date: May 31
Total Receipts: $77.16
PayPal Fees: $3.91
Net Balance: $73.25