Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

New Schatt & Morgan Heritage Series!

2xTap · 12 · 4192

us Offline 2xTap

• No Life Club
  • Slipjoint Fanatic!
New Schatt & Morgan Heritage Series!
on: June 11, 2011, 11:23:56 PM
Well, this is my latest slippie arrival from Queen.....a Schatt & Morgan Heritage Series #1193 Jack.

The new S&M Heritage Series, for those who may not know, are reproductions of original Schatt & Morgan knives as they were offered back in the day. This first run, including the one I have here, were all featured on page 5 of the 1903 Schatt & Morgan catalogue.

And they aren't just look alikes, they are built in the same fashion as the originals, using old tang stamps and original materials these knives were offered in. They even use the same model numbers. This first run of Heritage Series is being offered in 2 frame patterns with a combination 3 blade set ups and 3 different handle materials for a total of 7 different knives.

The one I have here is the model #1193 2-blade Jack. Queen specs this at 3 3/8" closed, but my measurements have this sitting at exactly 3 7/16" even.

Blades are 1095 carbon steel with a satin brush finish, which is refered to as a glaze finish. Handle material on this one is some beautiful smooth Ebony Wood. There is no nickle/silver or brass in these......the bolsters are made of Norway Iron and mirror polished. The liners are satin finished Nickle Steel. Definitely old school!

Fit and finish is near excellent. Finish all around is spotless and well executed. Blades have even edge grinds and are quite sharp, not face shaving razors, but more than usable. Blades have zero lateral play and both have half-stops. Backsprings have good stoutness to them, plenty of "walk & talk". The F&F of the pins and shield to the handle material is dead on smooth and flush.

The only gig on this one is a few faint gaps in the backspring area. Hard to see but there are some real slight ones here.....

Nothing major though, and gap free everywhere else. All and all a well built piece. And a Series I am looking forward to getting more of.  :tu:

2xTap
Knives, Watches, and Flashlights are like Guns......you can never have too many!

us Offline Ashley

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • AKA Knife Crazied

gb Offline nuphoria

• Ambidangerous Mistress of Mod
  • Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not all bad, I'm just drawn that way.
Re: New Schatt & Morgan Heritage Series!
Reply #2 on: June 11, 2011, 11:49:56 PM
Very nice indeed :D
A dyslexic man walks in to a bra...

All my music for free: http://soundcloud.com/chrissyvandyke

us Offline 2xTap

• No Life Club
  • Slipjoint Fanatic!
Reply #3 on: June 12, 2011, 06:46:11 AM
Ashley & nuphoria,

Thanks....it is a purdy little thing. I ordered another one today, the 1213 pattern. A bit larger than this one above, and it's single Spear Blade version in Ebony. Should have it in a few days.

2xTap
Knives, Watches, and Flashlights are like Guns......you can never have too many!

gb Offline Zed

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #4 on: June 12, 2011, 08:20:27 AM
very nice 2xtap  :tu:

us Offline Gadget Guy

• No Life Club
  • <*();::::::::;~
Reply #5 on: June 12, 2011, 09:26:08 PM
Stunning!  Thanks for sharing.   :cheers:  I've been on a Great Eastern Cutlery kick, but I'm going to give the Schatt's a look. I've had problems with them in the past having blade play. That sure is a beauty though...   :tu:
Sometimes change is a good thing, other times not so much!

us Offline sergemaster

• No Life Club
Reply #6 on: June 13, 2011, 06:48:52 PM
Amici,
Absolutely one heck of a classic slippie!! I have also been planning on getting a classic Moose pattern that they've also released to add to the collection.

At the moment they're still a little pricey, but in the end I think worth it..

Cheers,
Serge
'I will NOT be threatened by a walking Meatloaf!!' - D. Kessler

us Offline NutSAK

• Admin Team
  • Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #7 on: June 13, 2011, 09:53:52 PM
Very nice jack.  I would buy one of these immediately if they were GECs.  As it is, I bought a couple of Schatt & Morgans recently and wasn't as pleased with the f&f.  I guess I'm fully GEC-spoiled now.  It looks like this one is put together very well.
- Terry

us Offline Gadget Guy

• No Life Club
  • <*();::::::::;~
Reply #8 on: June 14, 2011, 12:52:07 AM
Very nice jack.  I would buy one of these immediately if they were GECs.  As it is, I bought a couple of Schatt & Morgans recently and wasn't as pleased with the f&f.  I guess I'm fully GEC-spoiled now.  It looks like this one is put together very well.

Terry, aren't the GEC's awesome!   :tu:  I just received an elephant toenail in snakewood and it rocks!! 

Back to topic, sorry!   :D
Sometimes change is a good thing, other times not so much!

us Offline 2xTap

• No Life Club
  • Slipjoint Fanatic!
Reply #9 on: June 14, 2011, 04:26:59 AM
Thanks guys.

Terry,

Yeah, GEC's will spoil you for sure. Ain't no one out there doing slippies as tight or as consistantly fault free as GEC. That's not to say no one else does them like that, as I have many examples from both Queen and Case every bit as tight as the GEC's I own.......but GEC is alot more consistant at it.

2xTap

us Offline 2xTap

• No Life Club
  • Slipjoint Fanatic!
Reply #10 on: June 19, 2011, 11:19:05 PM
The second Heritage Series piece I ordered came in earlier this week and I finally got some pics taken.

This one is the Model #1213 Jack, the larger single blade version of the one I got previously. Queen says this one is 3 3/4" but my measurements put it at exactly 3 13/16" closed. Like my 1193 the blades are 1095 carbon steel with the glaze finish. Handle material on this one is the same smooth Ebony Wood, and the bolsters are made of polished Norway Iron with satin finished Nickle Steel liners.

The fit and finish of this one is pretty much how it was on the 1193 version I have, including the very faint hairline gaps in the backspring area........

Barely noticable, but there. Although this one does have a few blemishes. A small notch in the wood on the mark side alongside the rear pin and some weird light scratches just above the pull on the blade. Small things but things I notice. Nothing major though and otherwise a rock solid well built slippie.

And here's some comparison pics of the two together...........

I'm hoping to get the Rosewood versions of these but I doubt I'll have the money in time before they sell out everywhere.

2xTap

00 Offline Dtrain

• "Southbound Whatchya Leave Behind Ya?"
Reply #11 on: June 19, 2011, 11:24:45 PM
Sorry if I go OT I am hoping to go to Great Eastern's Open House...Do they usually have an excellent selection at the Company Store?
"It seemed Like a Good Idea at the Time"

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD