Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Need ideas for...

scotland Offline Nikos

• No Life Club
  • Why is it doing that?
Need ideas for...
on: June 14, 2011, 09:15:00 PM
... my next project: the Knifeless Spirit! :) My goal is to make a UK-friendly Spirit, and probably add some missing functions in the process.

So far I got down to removing the old pins on both sides and replaced them with some stock nut-n-bolts. The pivot part of the bolts got covered in teflon to allow for smooth operation, but this is a totally temporary solution in my head. I've sourced some 4mm pins from Neil to peen this thing down when I'm all happy with it, albeit I reckon some pivot screws might be better (and make this thing even more configurable in the future). Initially I was thinking of removing just the knife blade; some searching in the forums also got me to removing the saw as well (being locking and all).

I've added a slightly cut-down Vic scaler-disgorger and lanyard ring spacer on one side, but I don't quite like the f/f. I'll probably try to find some slim metalic ruler to put in there in place of the disgorger, as that's the function I wanted to add in the first place.

Anyway, here's where your input comes in. :) Any ideas as to what to throw in there?

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
Re: Need ideas for...
Reply #1 on: June 14, 2011, 11:22:16 PM
When I first started reading this I thought, add missing functions ... what missing functions  :think:

To be honest if I removed the knife, I'd want to replace it with ... well, a knife quite frankly  :shrug:
If you wish to get over the locking blade issue, would it be possible to "ramp" the notch on the offending tools so the lock spring offers resistance to closure, but doesn't stop closure (much like the feel when closing and opening again)?

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

scotland Offline Nikos

• No Life Club
  • Why is it doing that?
Reply #2 on: June 15, 2011, 12:08:03 AM
Thanks for the feedback 50ft-trad. I don't live in the UK and the knife laws here are lax (and I'm innocent-looking) enough to let me go around with a standard Spirit on my person. Yet, I'd like to come up with a knifeless MT so as to be 100% on the law abiding side. That is, I'm not looking into making the Spirit a slippie but to completely remove its blades, so that I can have it on me at all times (even in pubs etc.) without breaking some law. The UK and DK laws are among the strictest I know of, so if the end result is legal there it should be about anywhere else... :D Mind you, I've tried a knifeless Fuse before, but imho it was too large for its functionality. The Spirit is about as large as I'd get.

us Offline turnsouth

• No Life Club
  • There is no spoon
Reply #3 on: June 15, 2011, 02:23:49 AM
I have often toyed with the idea of making a knife-less MT by replacing the blade with a narrow spork. I don't have a Spirit, but I would think that by removing both the knife and saw, it would give room for a deeper "dish" to the spork.

Which I think would come in handy in a pub, especially if a generous friend orders something quite tasty :D
Never underestimate the power of the fleece

gr Offline harryf3

Reply #4 on: June 15, 2011, 09:37:49 AM
Geia soy Niko  :)

I wouldn't disassemble the Spirit at all.

I'd just grind the blade and make a nice locking and useful marlin spike.
Then I'd call the new MT the "Sea Spirit"  :D

If I like the disgorger I'd grab my file and grind the blade to make a disgorger and call the MT the "Fisherman's Spirit"  ::)

us Offline ari6126

• No Life Club
  • Colors!
Reply #5 on: June 16, 2011, 06:00:42 AM

Yeah, I would just grind off the edge and make a true "peanut butter" knife/pharmaceutical spatula.

cs Offline edcgear

• No Life Club
Reply #6 on: June 16, 2011, 09:28:46 AM

Yeah, I would just grind off the edge and make a true "peanut butter" knife/pharmaceutical spatula.

Where is the fun in that?? :pok: :pok:
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
There is method to my madness....
http://svakodnevnesitnice.blogspot.com/

scotland Offline Nikos

• No Life Club
  • Why is it doing that?
Reply #7 on: June 16, 2011, 10:58:58 AM

Where is the fun in that?? :pok: :pok:

Exactly! Well, that, and the fact that I'd like to still be able to put it back together if I'm not happy in the end... :-[ :D

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
June Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Jun 30
Total Receipts: $139.46
PayPal Fees: $8.05
Net Balance: $131.41
Below Goal: $168.59
Site Currency: USD
44%