Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

what to do with the dullest pruner

us Offline ironraven

• No Life Club
  • American Clandestine Materials Executive (ACME)
what to do with the dullest pruner
on: June 18, 2011, 05:03:12 AM
I've been sharpening knives since... yeah, not admitting. But I'm stumped with the pruner blades in my Outdoorsman and Pioneer Pruner. They were both pretty dull when they got to me, and I'm at a bit of a loss as to how to best sharpen them given their shape and size. I've sharpened kerambits, but they were all quite a bit bigger so my larger stones would be made to work, but these little guys, I'm stumped.
"Even if it is only the handful of people I meet on the street, or in my home, I can still protect them with this one sword" Kenshin Himura

Necessity is the mother of invention. If you're not ready, it's "a mother". If you are, it's "mom".

"I love democracy" Sheev Palpatine, upon his election to Chancellor.

at Offline Woz

• No Life Club
Re: what to do with the dullest pruner
Reply #1 on: June 18, 2011, 07:58:56 AM
Well, I recommend the Spyderco Sharpmaker, for it works much better than most stones on weird blades. Or use a diamond file, or a multi-shape sharpening stone.

Or, do it the simple, inexpensive and fast way, get a dual-sharpener by Victorinox and use that. It works on all my curved blade, even better than the sharpmaker.
edc-reviews.blogspot.com

us Offline ICanFixThat

• No Life Club
Reply #2 on: June 18, 2011, 10:24:54 AM
OK disclamer here as I'm a real novice sharpener.  The stones from the sharpmaker are a pretty good choice, just use a corner by hand; should be pretty easy on a flat grind.  I think one of the round/cone-shaped diamond file sharpeners would be a bit easier, I find they are perfect for small edges or anything a weird shape since you can use just the right part of the file to fit any curve.  Then use a small strop.

gr Offline harryf3

Reply #3 on: June 18, 2011, 10:37:42 AM
Any stone with a round edge will do.
I use a slip stone like this for my pruners. Works great.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62
Net Balance: $360.24
Above Goal: $60.24
Site Currency: USD
120%