Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Can this be true: SwissCard Classic [with a Peking Opera logo] €2.76

Phrea · 35 · 7141

nz Offline KiwiMark

scissors are junk.

When I looked at them I thought so too, there is a little slop in them that my 10 year old Cybertool scissors don't have and the spring seems to be a very inferior metal.  But then I tested them for cutting ability and found that as well as seeming to be junk they proved themselves to be junk in cutting performance as well.  Simple test: cut some toilet paper with the scissors on a genuine Victorinox SAK then try the same thing with these counterfeit scissors, notice that the SAK scissors cleanly cut the TP and that the junk scissors just don't cut the TP at all - yep, they're complete rubbish!  They'll cut stuff that any scissors in the world would cut, but try something a little harder like nice soft 2-ply toilet paper and you see the clear difference between the great quality of the genuine Victorinox product and the cheap Chinese knock-off.
"Mr. Carl Elsener and his Victorinox brand of knives is the undisputed king of knives in the world today."

- Sal Glesser (Bladeforums - 8 Jan 2011)

ru Offline ivanov

• Victorinox/Gerber
It's not even worth posting pictures...
and yet make some macro-picture, it will help many prospective buyers :sak:
I apologize for my poor english...

nz Offline KiwiMark

and yet make some macro-picture, it will help many prospective buyers :sak:

Help for prospective buyers: Don't buy this product!  Buy genuine, get quality!
You don't need pictures to understand that cheap Chinese counterfeit junk isn't as good as genuine Swiss made product - support the REAL Victorinox and buy the real deal.
"Mr. Carl Elsener and his Victorinox brand of knives is the undisputed king of knives in the world today."

ru Offline ivanov

• Victorinox/Gerber
Well, this is understandable, but how to distinguish between original and "Chinese" SwissCard. Pictures would benefit and clarity.
I apologize for my poor english...

nz Offline KiwiMark

but how to distinguish between original and "Chinese" SwissCard.

Sometimes you just can't be certain, but my rough guide would be:
Since genuine SwissCards sell for over $20 a SwissCard selling for under $10 is >90% likely to be fake.  A SwissCard selling for under $5 is >99% likely to be fake.  From personal experience: A SwissCard selling for US$3.33 is not only likely to be a fake but at that price it is likely to be a poorly made fake that may look OK but really doesn't work well and the more you play with it the crappier that you realise it is.

Any photo of the Scissors (for example) would show what looks pretty much the same as the genuine ones - they really do look exactly like the Victorinox SwissCard scissors, but they don't cut like the genuine scissors.  Pictures aren't necessarily enough to be sure you are getting a genuine product.
On these fakes probably the easiest difference to see is the colour of the toothpick - obviously it was cheaper to mould it with the same plastic as some of the other parts, but Victorinox uses a different colour plastic on their toothpicks.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
June Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Jun 30
Total Receipts: $149.46
PayPal Fees: $8.74
Net Balance: $140.72
Below Goal: $159.28
Site Currency: USD
47%