Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Sharpening methods

Poll

What method or system do you use to keep your gear sharp?

Spyderco Sharpmaker
5 (17.9%)
KME
0 (0%)
Apex Pro
0 (0%)
Work Sharp (various models)
3 (10.7%)
Wicked Edge
0 (0%)
Hapstone sharpeners
0 (0%)
TSProf
0 (0%)
Freehand methods
11 (39.3%)
Lansky sharpeners
6 (21.4%)
Other methods or systems not mentioned
3 (10.7%)

Total Members Voted: 28

Voting closed: January 19, 2024, 06:01:04 PM

us Online SteveC

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Re: Sharpening methods
Reply #30 on: January 12, 2024, 02:04:32 PM
Thanks for finding that old thread.  :like: :tu:

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #31 on: January 12, 2024, 04:46:17 PM
 :hatsoff: I love a lot of the old threads :dd: :like:

us Offline David Bowen

• Multitool Enthusiast
  • Admin Team
  • No Life Club
  • Site Manager
Reply #32 on: January 12, 2024, 06:14:45 PM
Thanks for the old thread mention, I'll check it out.

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #33 on: January 12, 2024, 08:49:42 PM
I also need to note that I had no clue about the Spyderco Sharpmaker until I joined :MTO:

So, I just had to have one from all the older members recommendations  :D

I also have added a a Fallkniven DC4, some EZE branded credit card diamond sharpeners,  different Arkansas stone sharpeners and probably some other stuff I have forgotten about since that picture feom the other thread. My explanation of how I sharpen is still basically the same though  :cheers:

fi Offline temo

Reply #34 on: January 13, 2024, 01:24:53 PM
Quite good multisharpening / smaller tool for all purpose sharpening tasks.

Lähetetty minun SM-F721B laitteesta Tapatalkilla

us Offline David Bowen

• Multitool Enthusiast
  • Admin Team
  • No Life Club
  • Site Manager
Reply #35 on: January 13, 2024, 09:27:09 PM
I also need to note that I had no clue about the Spyderco Sharpmaker until I joined :MTO:

So, I just had to have one from all the older members recommendations  :D

I also have added a a Fallkniven DC4, some EZE branded credit card diamond sharpeners,  different Arkansas stone sharpeners and probably some other stuff I have forgotten about since that picture feom the other thread. My explanation of how I sharpen is still basically the same though  :cheers:
I may have gotten the Sharpmaker because of mto, don't remember. It's such a reliable system and does a good job at maintaining an edge.

@temo I've got a work sharp field sharpener on the way, curious to see how it performs.

us Offline D-Eg

• Dan
Reply #36 on: January 13, 2024, 09:48:51 PM
I actually just started freehand sharpening - before I used either the WEN Gourmet's Edge Sharpener or the Work Sharp machine. I have since moved to a Norton Stone. I also have a Hook-Eye Cutlery Grinder but have never used it. I bought it when I recently became more interested in knives and a guy on another knife forum cautioned me using it, now I am scared of it. 

us Offline David Bowen

• Multitool Enthusiast
  • Admin Team
  • No Life Club
  • Site Manager
Reply #37 on: April 06, 2024, 04:39:54 AM
Anyone use a WS Precision Adjust? I've used a bunch of fixed angle sharpeners, but first time using the WSPA. Only thing I found odd at first was the width of the stones considering the standard I've been working with was 1". But, I went through the stone progression and ended with the strop and OMG I can push cut paper and hair jumps from my arm. I can get similar results with other systems but I'm impressed. I really think the ceramic/strop is what took it next level.

us Offline Singh

• No Life Club
Reply #38 on: April 22, 2024, 01:22:20 PM
I use an electric sharpener. The Chef's Choice 120 works really well. I run the knives through stages two and three, then follow up with a two or three feather-light passes with an accusharp hand sharpener.  It takes less than 5 minutes and I get an edge that is hair-popping razor sharp. For really dull knives I give them a pass through stage one first. I sharpen the kitchen knives twice a year and they stay razor sharp.

I tip my hat to the sharpening gurus who get razor sharp edges  from using ceramic mugs, car windows, or sharpening rods. All those methods require that you hold the knife at exactly the right angle, or they don’t work worth a poop. I’m just not that steady.

The only things I sharpen by hand are my mora knives and scissors, because the bevel is big enough for me to follow accurately with a diamond sharpening card.

us Offline David Bowen

• Multitool Enthusiast
  • Admin Team
  • No Life Club
  • Site Manager
Reply #39 on: April 22, 2024, 07:24:34 PM
I've never used electric sharpeners, maybe someday. Awesome that is giving you good results. I've never used coffee mugs or car windows but I've heard stories. Living here in the deep south freehand sharpening is king. I can get a pretty sharp blade freehand, enough to cleanly slice paper but not hair shaving. Maybe one of these days I'll get there. I think I don't have a high enough grit stone, maybe it's angle. All of my sharpening is done via fixed angle systems, which seem to be very popular these days.

us Offline IMR4198

• No Life Club
Reply #40 on: April 22, 2024, 07:40:05 PM
   Nobody has mentioned sharpening these serrated and combo edge blades.  I have had several through the years, but never used one enough to have to sharpen it.  My late pal used to do it for his customers with a diamond file.  I watched him do a Spyderco for someone.  Don't know if he got it sharp or not. 
   I was over at his house one day and noticed he was using my black Arkansas razor hone.  I remembered showing it to him one time and evidently, he just kept it.  Never said a word about having it.  I never missed having it, or I would have done my usual 'turn the house upside down looking for it routine.'  He offered to buy it.  I said nu-uh.
    Best wishes.  G
 ;)

us Offline David Bowen

• Multitool Enthusiast
  • Admin Team
  • No Life Club
  • Site Manager
Reply #41 on: Today at 03:02:37 PM
For sharpening started I've been using my Sharpmaker. Does an excellent job and it's easy to use. Instead of alternating left-right on the flats of the stone you use the edge. Then doing three times on the cut side and ones on the backside. Doing this for a few times and depending on how long it's been since being touched up it shouldn't take long.

Before the Sharpmaker I would use a tapered diamond file, and it would absolutely butcher things.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD