Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

GOAT Tools Owners Club

Adam5 · 59 · 4557

00 Offline Dutch_Tooler

• No Life Club
Re: GOAT Tools Owners Club
Reply #30 on: August 05, 2023, 12:51:30 PM
Re wire cutter inserts, again:

When I looked at the spare ones I bought I thought the cutting edge was narrower than that of the ones mounted to the pliers out of the box. Close comparison confirms that, see top pic (spare on top), I'm guessing the cutting edge on the spare is about 60% of that of the original.

So I exchanged the inserts. Slightly better in that the cutter can now cut chicken wire, with a bit of wringing as clearance has remained the same. I think I might subject the originals to some grinding experiments.

This, because meanwhile, compared to the P4 as my impromptu chicken wire cutting benchmark, the spare cutters still have a wider edge, see bottom pic...

* 75202312435.jpg (Filesize: 238.56 KB)

* 75202313240.jpg (Filesize: 346.38 KB)
« Last Edit: August 05, 2023, 01:03:59 PM by Dutch_Tooler »
Cheers!
Dutch_Tooler

00 Offline Dutch_Tooler

• No Life Club
Reply #31 on: August 05, 2023, 03:14:16 PM
OK, so I ground down one face each of the original inserts to a narrow edge, see first pic. Just slightly better.

Problem remains the lack of clearance between insert (held by a fattish screw) and the opposing pliers wall, and what looks like a slightly convex surface of the latter, see second pic. I think one could in theory take a file to that face but I hesitate.

* 75202315929.jpg (Filesize: 248.95 KB)

* 75202315950.jpg (Filesize: 241.48 KB)
Cheers!
Dutch_Tooler

00 Offline Dutch_Tooler

• No Life Club
Reply #32 on: August 05, 2023, 03:38:24 PM
Spring loaded pliers are not only an advantage, see pic showing how I just found it...
75202315370.jpg
* 75202315370.jpg (Filesize: 366.08 KB)

Edit to add: as a nice touch, one of the tool's standard implements is a 2mm Allen key doubling as a lanyard ring and which by the nature of the tool is detachable. This can be used to tighten pivots and exchange wire cutter inserts. Tightening the plier pivots was what was needed to inhibit the auto-spread feature.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2023, 03:49:20 PM by Dutch_Tooler »
Cheers!
Dutch_Tooler

00 Offline Dutch_Tooler

• No Life Club
Reply #33 on: August 05, 2023, 06:17:09 PM
My scissor spring has a tendency to pop out of place, no doubt aided by a bit too much rounding over at the edge of the scissor handle:

(Image removed from quote.)

(Image removed from quote.)

Otherwise, the scissors seem to cut fine.

By the way, that would be the remnants of my lunch that you see on my leg  :facepalm:  :rofl:

I had the same problem. I used a small Dremel to square off the cross section of the end of the spring (this was slightly rounded off) and bent it slightly into the plane of the scissors tool side half. That seems to have helped.

The scissors themselves cut very well and open wide, much wider than e.g. on a Spirit.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2023, 06:32:34 PM by Dutch_Tooler »
Cheers!
Dutch_Tooler

us Offline Adam5

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #34 on: August 05, 2023, 07:02:42 PM
I will be doing the same adjustments to
night or tomorrow. I contacted GOAT Tools a few days ago and Michael O'Donnell said that if the adjustments don't work or if the spring broke while trying to bend it then he would take care of the warranty.

I am hesistant to modify the plier head to improve the cutting of thicker materials unless I am sure I can get a replacement. I am not sure I will be using it with any regularity, so there may be no reason for me to mod it.

I do plan to contact GOAT Tools about the problem in order to give feedback.

00 Offline Dutch_Tooler

• No Life Club
Reply #35 on: August 05, 2023, 08:41:15 PM
Excellent Adam5. If you have a direct line you might add my experience with the wire cutters. I think (after comparing with my Free P4) that it's rather a lack of clearance to the off side of the cutter insert which causes the pinching - should this not occur the cut items would be ablo to fall free (up to a certain size, obviously).

The very slight scissors mod seems to be holding up, so can heartily recommend. Unless you're really ham fisted I don't estimate there is an increased risk of breaking the spring. Use two sets of flat pliers close to where the spring becomes narrow and apply very measured force.

Otherwise I am rather impressed for a first time product, although I have yet to put it through its paces in earnest.
Cheers!
Dutch_Tooler

Offline Herman Axtelius

Reply #36 on: August 07, 2023, 05:02:14 PM
Has anyone in Europe gotten their multitool yet? Of so, who shipped your order and did you get an email from GOAT when they shipped?

00 Offline Dutch_Tooler

• No Life Club
Reply #37 on: August 07, 2023, 07:32:15 PM
Yes, DHL and yes (Germany) :mail:
Cheers!
Dutch_Tooler

Offline Herman Axtelius

Reply #38 on: August 08, 2023, 08:43:49 AM
Yes, DHL and yes (Germany) :mail:

Sounds promising! I guess I'll just have to wait. I didn't back them Om indiegogo until early January so I guess I'm a bit further down on the list..

gb Offline SurgeUk

• Global Moderator
Reply #39 on: August 08, 2023, 11:54:55 AM
Sounds promising! I guess I'll just have to wait. I didn't back them Om indiegogo until early January so I guess I'm a bit further down on the list..

I got mine late last month and I'd backed them on Kickstarter a couple of years ago. I know we're not part of the EU anymore  ::) but mine arrived quite quickly once I got the shipping email  :tu:

It was sent by DHL but delivered by Hermes here in the UK  :dunno:
They don't like it up 'em!

Offline Herman Axtelius

Reply #40 on: August 27, 2023, 10:40:00 PM
Have you guys seen that the web shop is up and running now!?
I ordered the titanium scales and the extra hex drivers this morning and just got an shipment confirmation!

gb Offline SurgeUk

• Global Moderator
Reply #41 on: September 05, 2023, 06:51:21 PM
Evenin' awl  :salute:

I thought I'd give the GOAT a try-out (light use) I needed to remove a string of those cheap solar powered lights that Mrs Surge had suggested that "we" might like  :pok: :twak:

This particular set had died a few weeks ago but I've not really been here (working overseas  ::))

The wire cutters failed miserably and just squashed the outer plastic coating and only cut through on the third attempt. However, the scissors cut like a knife through butter  :dunno:

I tried again using my Surge and no issues with the wire cutters  :whistle:

I'm going to try and use this thing as much as I can (no EDC in public as in the UK) but, so far, I'm struggling with the OHO being just that. If I have to use another finger to push the release lever (or anything else) back down then how is it OHO  :think:

If you have any tips please let me know  :cheers:

* GOAT 050923a.jpg (Filesize: 257.58 KB)

* GOAT 050923b.jpg (Filesize: 382.02 KB)

Offline Herman Axtelius

Reply #42 on: September 05, 2023, 07:48:45 PM
Evenin' awl  :salute:

I thought I'd give the GOAT a try-out (light use) I needed to remove a string of those cheap solar powered lights that Mrs Surge had suggested that "we" might like  :pok: :twak:

This particular set had died a few weeks ago but I've not really been here (working overseas  ::))

The wire cutters failed miserably and just squashed the outer plastic coating and only cut through on the third attempt. However, the scissors cut like a knife through butter  :dunno:

I tried again using my Surge and no issues with the wire cutters  :whistle:

I'm going to try and use this thing as much as I can (no EDC in public as in the UK) but, so far, I'm struggling with the OHO being just that. If I have to use another finger to push the release lever (or anything else) back down then how is it OHO  :think:

If you have any tips please let me know  :cheers:

Well it's a real bummer that the wire cutters turned out so bad, I really hope that they are working on a replacement part ASAP.

Regarding no EDC in the UK, I find the Goat the perfect (and first) tool that i actually can EDC because i can remove or replace the blades etc. with other tools (I'm in Sweden, it's strictly forbidden to wear any form of knife or sharp tool outside of your home or work).

gb Offline SurgeUk

• Global Moderator
Reply #43 on: September 05, 2023, 08:09:26 PM
Well it's a real bummer that the wire cutters turned out so bad, I really hope that they are working on a replacement part ASAP.

Regarding no EDC in the UK, I find the Goat the perfect (and first) tool that i actually can EDC because i can remove or replace the blades etc. with other tools (I'm in Sweden, it's strictly forbidden to wear any form of knife or sharp tool outside of your home or work).

As I said, I'll try and use this wherever possible so maybe my views will change  :dunno:

I hope to have my view changed as it wasn't too cheap and took forever to get here  :ahhh :ahhh :ahhh

Notwithstanding, the ingenuity to design a new MT and make it so different is to be applauded  :clap: :clap: :clap:

gb Offline SurgeUk

• Global Moderator
Reply #44 on: September 06, 2023, 07:04:34 PM
So, today I had cause to use the Phillips driver to adjust a few cupboard doors. It did very well and the centred bit made it very easy (not much torque needed though)  :tu:

However, I am looking after a neighbours garden whilst they are away and used the "hammer" to secure a post. That worked fairly well but as I walked away (triumphant, of course  :D) the Phillips bit fell out of the holder and, had I not been paying attention, I would have lost it (the magnet is not strong enough)

Still persevering....

* GOAT 060923a.jpg (Filesize: 215.54 KB)

pt Offline pfrsantos

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Oxygen and magnesium toghether?! OMg!
Reply #45 on: September 07, 2023, 04:30:36 PM
So, today I had cause to use the Phillips driver to adjust a few cupboard doors. It did very well and the centred bit made it very easy (not much torque needed though)  :tu:

However, I am looking after a neighbours garden whilst they are away and used the "hammer" to secure a post. That worked fairly well but as I walked away (triumphant, of course  :D) the Phillips bit fell out of the holder and, had I not been paying attention, I would have lost it (the magnet is not strong enough)

Still persevering....

Wow! Just bought a couple of the same hinges. One of the doors on my kitchen cupboard kept opening with just a breeze, going to replace the hinges today. The new ones have the cupboard holes slightly off, will need to reposition them.

The little Dexter ratchet worked like a charm. Hard to take the bits from the box, but putting the magnetic driver over them pulls them out, then you just have to turn them upside down and you're ready to go.

:cheers: :tu:

* Hinge 1.jpg (Filesize: 384.78 KB)

* Hinge 2.jpg (Filesize: 398.26 KB)
« Last Edit: September 07, 2023, 04:40:20 PM by pfrsantos »

I don't have OCD, I have OCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ.

I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous.

Eff the ineffable, scrut the inscrutable.

IYCRTYSWTMTFOT

00 Offline Grand_Banana

• No Life Club
Reply #46 on: December 13, 2023, 02:06:17 AM
So you fine folks have had your GOAT tools for a few months now.  How’s the usage been?  I’m curious if anyone has tried theirs as a daily user and gotten a few solid months of review out of it? 

gb Offline SurgeUk

• Global Moderator
Reply #47 on: December 13, 2023, 08:25:32 PM
So you fine folks have had your GOAT tools for a few months now.  How’s the usage been?  I’m curious if anyone has tried theirs as a daily user and gotten a few solid months of review out of it?

Whilst I was someone who was an original backer (and waited years, like others) I'm not feeling the love  :think:

I don't find the OHO really working as well as say my Surge/Wave & Vic' MTs (not chunky enough)

I awlso struggle with the blade changing (a bit too fiddly)

Basically, I don't really carry it and it lives in its box.

I'll stick with my Surge/Wave/ Vic' etc

I appreciate the thinking and design but it doesn't really work for me  :td:

In a word; disappointed  :dunno:

00 Offline Grand_Banana

• No Life Club
Reply #48 on: December 15, 2023, 02:01:47 AM
Thanks, Surge. I’m sure that’s disappointing. I’ve been wondering if I’m missing out if not. Perhaps there will be a V2 addressing some of these concerns.

00 Offline Dutch_Tooler

• No Life Club
Reply #49 on: January 20, 2024, 02:56:32 PM
After a bit of neglect for reasons akin to those voiced by many above and inspired by a few Reddit posts and Youtube videos I have finally given in to this latent urge to improve the wire cutters. To increase the clearance between the side of the object undergoing cutting and the pliers, I have taken a small square file to the latter. Some other users seem to have elected the space between the pivot and cutter insert screws, but for reasons of strength I decided it would be best to remove material on the other side of said screws, and not too much or too close to the screw hole as well as leaving a tapered surface of plier metal. This seems to have helped, although I still feel I have to use more force to cut chicken wire than with a Free P4 or Arc. The centre of the pic below shows where. I thought about using a Dremel as seen on Youtube but had doubts about controllability of a high-RPM sanding bit.

In other news,

1. I have finally been able to lay my greedy hands on several sets of Wiha double-ended bits that turn out to fit inside the bit driver very well. These have been unobtainable in Europe for months. I now know why: they're marketed by Wiha USA.

2. I have fashioned a little box to keep spare implements/blades in, by converting a short length of plastic cable holder with snap-on cover.

3. The items under the preceding two points are demanding to be duly stored together with the tool in a compact carry option. A Skinth Mondo sheath is on order.

Pictures will appear here once the latter item arrives. This concludes this update newsletter.

* 0202024143330.jpg (Filesize: 436.34 KB)
Cheers!
Dutch_Tooler

00 Offline Dutch_Tooler

• No Life Club
Reply #50 on: January 21, 2024, 05:37:12 PM
One more thing I've done is to Dremel a nail nick into the bit driver. This is difficult to get out otherwise...

* 0212024173345.jpg (Filesize: 243.67 KB)
Cheers!
Dutch_Tooler

us Offline David Bowen

• Multitool Enthusiast
  • Admin Team
  • No Life Club
  • Site Manager
Reply #51 on: March 03, 2024, 07:35:07 PM
Would any of the @GOAT Tools  owners be willing to write a review? I think we need one for the site and would love to put one up there. It's only fitting, we are the source for everything multitool

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

us Offline David Bowen

• Multitool Enthusiast
  • Admin Team
  • No Life Club
  • Site Manager
Reply #52 on: March 08, 2024, 01:01:24 AM
@SurgeUk @Adam5 @Dutch_Tooler @pa_strunk

us Offline powernoodle

Reply #53 on: March 08, 2024, 01:33:43 AM
Basically, I don't really carry it and it lives in its box.  I'll stick with my Surge/Wave/ Vic' etc 

I've wanted a GOAT (of course) since I first saw them on the horizon, but the reports from you and others have dissuaded me. 

The whole idea of the GOAT sounds great, but maybe they aren't ready for prime time.   :salute:

us Offline sparkyv

Reply #54 on: March 08, 2024, 04:53:40 AM
These look good.  Where are they manufactured?

us Offline Barry Rowland

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bon Journee!!
Reply #55 on: March 11, 2024, 03:01:53 AM
 :iagree:  I saw them early on and I was intrigued by the concept but I don't think I'll make the leap at this time. 
I've wanted a GOAT (of course) since I first saw them on the horizon, but the reports from you and others have dissuaded me. 

The whole idea of the GOAT sounds great, but maybe they aren't ready for prime time.   :salute:
Barry

gb Offline SurgeUk

• Global Moderator
Reply #56 on: March 11, 2024, 07:13:44 PM
@SurgeUk @Adam5 @Dutch_Tooler @pa_strunk

I'll give it some thought  :think:

The trouble is I can't carry it as EDC (UK Laws) and I can't carry it for work (issued kit only) and this severely restricts my usage and, therefore my opinon  :dunno:

It's not a bad MT just doesn't quite cut it for me (no pun intended)  :pok:

us Offline David Bowen

• Multitool Enthusiast
  • Admin Team
  • No Life Club
  • Site Manager
Reply #57 on: March 11, 2024, 09:14:27 PM
Gotcha, if you decide let me know

00 Offline Dutch_Tooler

• No Life Club
Reply #58 on: April 12, 2024, 07:29:36 AM
I might give it a try, but it'll be a while before I can put reasonable time in a review. The short version is: the exchange system is an interesting concept with potential, but execution is a bit wanting as the release lever has started to be so loose as to move when implements are deployed; maybe the release lever handles need securing somehow. The wire cutter layout on the pliers has room for improvement, and so has the file.
Cheers!
Dutch_Tooler

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44