Multitool.org

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

The Comprehensive Knife Based Multitool Thread 1139

No Life Club Posts: 1,171
Re: The Comprehensive Knife Based Multitool Thread
« Reply #30 on: May 14, 2020, 03:04:13 PM »
Shouldn’t they have pliers to count in this thread? Otherwise they’re just pocket knives...

Charles.
Absolutely No Life Club Posts: 7,841
« Reply #31 on: May 14, 2020, 03:20:40 PM »
I don't think you necessary need to have pliers to be considered a multitool.

No Life Club Posts: 1,155
« Reply #32 on: May 14, 2020, 03:52:07 PM »
Shouldn’t they have pliers to count in this thread? Otherwise they’re just pocket knives...

Charles.

:think:

Good question - I would say not necessarily.  Certainly, the pliers can not be the sine qua non of the classification.  Otherwise, a Vic Deluxe Tinker would qualify.

I think that it needs to be a multitool of some sort, and the knife blade needs to be substantial, and the center of attention... what the tool is based around 

That requires that both of these attributes are defined further.

What qualifies as a multitool can include a SAK or even an old electrician's knife with a screwdriver and a main blade.  Then, of course, there are the plier-centric tools.

Next, we'd need to define what qualifies the tool as being based around the knife blade, rather than the blade being an equal participant in the tool (like a 91mm SAK)
- when there's a plier on the tool, it would mean that the handle of the tool is unmistakably the knife handle, and certainly not a butterfly opening plier handle
- The knife blade must take up the full length of the tool, and be substantial enough to be considered a folder if standing alone.  (one wouldn't describe it as a slipjoint or somesuch)
- A locking mechanism might be a relative qualification... though there are some folders that are nonlocking

So, therefore, there are some criteria that would need to be met to qualify something as a knife-based MT.  Maybe a certain number of established criteria are needed, as there is some variation
- it is a multi-tool - it contains more than one tool
- the handle of the tool is the knife handle,
- the blade, if taken alone, would be considered a folder rather than a slipjoint, or pen knife
- locking blade
- full-length blade

Let's take some examples and see how they play out.

As stated previously, the pliers themselves can't be the main differentiation - otherwise, the Deluxe Tinker would qualify.
- The Gerber Centerdrive has a blade that meets several of the criteria, however, the handle being designed for the pliers disqualifies it.
- The Victorinox One Hand Trekker, would qualify as the handle is molded for the knife, and indeed is backward for the screwdriver.  Also, the blade locks and can be purchased as a folder in the form of the Sentinel.  The same goes for the Rangergrip series. 
- Any medium-sized SAK is disqualified as there are several full-length tools of equal stature, even though some Evogrip models have locking blades. 
- the Leatherman P4 would qualify on all counts, and be considered a multitool on the face of it, rather than a pocketknife.

Those are my thoughts, and of course, I am interested to hear everyone else's ideas. 

You see.... once there are objective criteria, things become less a matter of opinion.

For example.  When we know that a fruit is defined by the flowering part of the plant, we must then agree that a Bell Pepper (or Capsicum) is a fruit, although we usually eat it like a vegetable. 
Hero Member Posts: 800
« Reply #33 on: May 18, 2020, 03:49:03 PM »
There is a knife from LAND aka Sanrenmu, a few of them actually which could be included as well.

Sr. Member Posts: 275
« Reply #34 on: May 28, 2020, 02:50:40 PM »
How about the Gerber Armbar? While it’s knife based, the focus seems to be the screwdrivers.

"Never pick a fight with an old man. If he's too old to fight, he'll just kill you."
« Reply #35 on: May 28, 2020, 07:18:37 PM »
How about the Gerber Armbar? While it’s knife based, the focus seems to be the screwdrivers.

The Armbar certainly qualifies as knife based, in my estimation.

One of these days I plan to get the Armbar Cork.which has a similar toolset compared to the Vic Compact, but the blade is one-hand opening, and locking... therefore, I would certainly call this a knife-based MT in a way that the Vic Compact isn't...  but enough about taxonomy.

They adapted their own Centerdrive bit-driver, it seems. Not a bad decision since it's something they do well.  However, I'm reading that their scissors aren't that great - which is unfortunate since they're Fiskars scissors, technically speaking. 

Most people seem to be underwhelmed with the Armbar Drive, since the awl and the other implements don't have a good detent in the open position. 

With the Cork, it's less important that the tools stay open, so I'm not that worried that I'll have an issue in this regard  :whistle:

What are your thoughts CF?  Is the knife blade reasonable as an EDC?
No Life Club Posts: 1,171
« Reply #36 on: May 28, 2020, 07:55:21 PM »
The Armbar Cork just seems like another pocket knife. A slightly beefier swiss army knife. I'd still say knife, not multitool.

the Armbar drive is a failure because the bitdriver doesn't lock (nor does anything else except the blade). That's *the* most important tool on the knife, and without a lock it's completely useless.

Charles.
No Life Club Posts: 2,939
« Reply #37 on: May 31, 2020, 06:24:28 PM »
Leatherman Crater C33T/C33Tx were always a favorite of mine in this category..

I knew my wife was a keeper when she transitioned from calling it a knife thingy to a multi-tool.

I might be crazy but it's kept me from going insane- Waylon Jennings
« Reply #38 on: May 31, 2020, 07:26:00 PM »
Leatherman Crater C33T/C33Tx were always a favorite of mine in this category..

I always liked the Crater - more than the Free series - since it looks to be more pocketable.   I'd have gotten one if it had the LM opener that's on the MTs rather than the carabiner/opener that's on it.  Maybe I'm being silly but I have not-infrequently been at a cookout, a camping trip, or even a pot-luck where nobody had a can opener but me. 

But times and needs change - so maybe it's time to get one

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
June Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Jun 30
Total Receipts: $40.00
PayPal Fees: $2.71
Net Balance: $37.29
Below Goal: $262.71