Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

What do we have on the way?

Benner · 26150 · 1393354

fi Offline AlephZero

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Smurf smash!
Re: What do we have on the way?
Reply #22590 on: May 17, 2018, 08:03:02 PM
 :D
"Hoarder of weirdness,
Always posting random things,
I'm AlephZero" :ninja:

us Offline cody6268

Reply #22591 on: May 18, 2018, 02:12:01 AM
Schrade USA ST-1 "Tough Tool" with the original leather sheath. Cost me a whopping $12. The guy selling it gave the choice of multiple ST-1s, but all were Taylor models but this one.

« Last Edit: May 18, 2018, 02:18:08 AM by cody6268 »

gb Offline Wspeed

• Just Bananas
Reply #22592 on: May 18, 2018, 12:30:45 PM
Very nice cody  :dd: :like: :like:
fail to prepare prepare to fail

de Offline CeHo

• No Life Club
Reply #22593 on: May 18, 2018, 04:39:59 PM
 :tu: :tu: :tu:

us Offline ChopperCharles

• No Life Club
Reply #22594 on: May 18, 2018, 10:06:20 PM
I've got this on the way:

It was listed as a "Used Wenger Swiss Army Knife", and I scored it for $28 + $3.50 shipping off of the 'bay. It's obviously not a Wenger, it's Victorinox, but beyond that I don't know what it is. It's probably retired, because it doesn't match any of the knives on the Victorinox website. Pliers, scissors, metal file/saw, short and long blade, can operner, bottle opener, and then on the bottom a phillips, awl, pull hook, and some kind of pry tool. I think I did really well for $28. It has almost every tool I'd want, and a thickness that I can live with.

I've also got this on the way:

Swissbuck Taskmate 1. Snagged it for $20 -- for a knife with the pliers! Scales aren't the best, but the blades all look good, and I think it will clean up well. I had planned to stop here and just refurbish this knife to be my camping knife, and then the weird Victorinox above popped into view and I hit Buy It Now *fast*.  But I can have multiple knives for different purposes! Since I was in refurbish mode, I snagged these wooden scales for the Swissbuck:

$38, but damn they're nice.

And then, because I'm unstoppable when I get eBay in front of me, I picked up a couple of knives for different keychains.
This one for $4, because I used to work for Alcatel:

And then a mini champ because it's damn cool. $13.50

All of this predicated by finding my old Wenger, overlooked and lost for almost a decade, and coming to the realization that I need multi-tools in all my vehicles and emergency kits. So... likely more to come.

Charles.

us Offline Yadda

• No Life Club
  • Lifelike and remarkably self similar
Reply #22595 on: May 20, 2018, 06:58:08 PM
Another Quirky multi tool.
"It didn't hurt, flirt, blood squirt, stuffed shirt, hang me on a tree
After I count down three rounds, in Hell I'll be in good company" -  The Dead South

us Offline HarleyXJGuy

Reply #22596 on: May 21, 2018, 05:23:50 AM
Boring but oh so effective and versatile BO Wave, Bit Extender and Bit Kit.

All this time and I am just now getting a LM Bit Kit.

us Offline SteveC

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #22597 on: May 21, 2018, 05:40:43 AM

Sweet !   :like: :tu:

us Offline SteveC

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #22598 on: May 21, 2018, 05:44:41 AM
One of these

us Offline Douglas

• No Life Club
Reply #22599 on: May 21, 2018, 05:53:24 AM
A chance to find out what all the hub-ub is all about...

"LOGIC!  My God, the man's talking about logic!  We're talking about Universal Armageddon!"
Dr.  McCoy

MTo...The BEST place on Earth!

nz Offline Syncop8r

Reply #22600 on: May 21, 2018, 08:31:15 AM

You're a bit late.

• No Life Club
Reply #22601 on: May 21, 2018, 11:51:37 PM
Okay got all the knives  in today! 

First impressions:

I love the mini champ. It’s the perfect keychain size but it’s also supremely useful. I’ve already used it to open all my packages and write a few notes. It feels so much more substantial than the SD. May eventually mod it with some wenger tools, but right now I’m loving it as is.

The wenger swissbuck is cute. It desperately needed a cleaning and lubing, and now it’s all working great. I like the clip point blades a lot, and all the springs are nice and tight. It doesn’t have toothpick or tweezers, so I lose nothing by putting the wood scales on it - when they come in. The pliers are pretty damn neat, but more on those later.  Great score for $20 imo.

The shining star however is the “Marlboro unlimited” branded Victorinox Troubleshooter. It’s very, very lightly used. One little nick on a scale but otherwise it’s perfect. Super clean. I oiled the awl, as it was a little tight (nail breaker), and that fixed it right up. Every other tool opened easily and snapped nicely. $28 for a near mint troubleshooter with pliers is amazeballs I think.

So about those pliers... the wenger pliers feel a bit like a toy. They work and all, but they’re very light duty. Great for holding something while soldering it, or bending thin metal or whatnot. I tried to bend a hook tool I made and the pliers themselves started bending, so I stopped. The Victorinox pliers are far more substantial. They feel beefy and they work far better. That same piece of metal I was bending I could just barely bend with the Victorinox. The jaws didn’t have enough grip force, but adding finger pressure helped the bend along. The pliers themselves did not bend.

However, the wenger pliers open far wider and can hold bigger items. The wenger wire cutter inside the pliers is far superior to the Victorinox. The Victorinox nibbles at the wire strand by strand. The wenger just cuts it. The Victorinox cannot cut wire with insulation on it. The wenger can, so long as it’s rather thin wire. (Motorcycle wire harness wires fit, and that’s what I care about).

Overall the Victorinox pliers win for me though. Heavy duty is betterer!

Another thing of note... I really like this Victorinox knife. It’s my first 91mm. As far as a tool goes, the 91mm is pretty much the perfect size for useful tools. But it’s not nearly as pocketable as my Wenger handyman. For an everyday carry knife, I think the 85mm wenger is the ticket. It looks to me that 7 layers of wenger will be about the same thickness as 5 Victorinox layers. So a similarly equipped knife will be shorter and thinner. 

This has me thinking I should keep a 5 layer wenger for everyday carry, and maybe a 111mm work champ or Hercules for the motorcycle, car, garage, etc.

Charles.

us Offline cody6268

Reply #22602 on: May 22, 2018, 03:47:08 PM
My big problem with the Wenger pliers is the "float" (up and down movement of the pliers) caused by the fact that the return spring bears on the backspring, making it open and close slightly as the pliers are gripping and releasing. It not only makes fine work frustrating, it makes it nigh impossible. I was doing some work on a cabinet latch with a Wenger Master and I ended up grabbing the real pliers.

• No Life Club
Reply #22603 on: May 22, 2018, 06:44:25 PM
My big problem with the Wenger pliers is the "float" (up and down movement of the pliers) caused by the fact that the return spring bears on the backspring, making it open and close slightly as the pliers are gripping and releasing. It not only makes fine work frustrating, it makes it nigh impossible. I was doing some work on a cabinet latch with a Wenger Master and I ended up grabbing the real pliers.

Interesting. The float isn't bothering me so far. I'm used to with with the Wenger scissors. Granted I've not done more than bend a few LED leads so far, but it didn't seem an issue for me. I can see how it would be frustrating for really fine detail work though.

I'm really liking the Victorinox Troubleshooter, but the Wenger SwissBuck is getting pocket time today. It fits in my jeans coin pocket. It can't get scratched in there by keys or phone, and it's out of the way. I like it there.  Since I'm replacing the scales anyways, I'm seriously considering finding a cheap knife on eBay and some 2.5mm brass rod and adding a wood saw to the swissbuck. Maybe scissors too, but I'm thinking just the saw would do for me.

Charles.

Charles.

us Offline Yadda

• No Life Club
Reply #22604 on: May 27, 2018, 05:33:46 AM
A Fisherman's Pride multi tool.
After I count down three rounds, in Hell I'll be in good company" -  The Dead South

• No Life Club
Strange wenger SAK on the way
Reply #22605 on: May 30, 2018, 07:09:15 PM
I've got a strange 7-layer Wenger on the way. Can anyone help me identify it?

Seems pretty standard at first glance. Seven layers consisting of
1. Blade (hrm, is that re-ground, or a different blade entirely?) with nail file
2. Scissors (no screw? Is that an older style?)
3. Saw
4. File
5. Fish scaler
6. Magnifying glass
7. Old style can opener and caplifter

This configuration doesn't match anything in the SAK wiki.

I snagged this along with a Wegmann Commander and a Handyman for the grand total of $13.50. So, a good score. But what is it? Is it rare? It's in such sad shape my plans are to strip it and use the file and saw in a custom knife... but if it's a rare bird I may restore it instead.

Charles.

• No Life Club
Reply #22606 on: May 30, 2018, 10:16:36 PM
Check that, I found it. It's a Wenger Monarch. Seem to be pretty rare. Too bad this one is in such poor shape. Broken file means it's probably going to end up a parts knife.

Charles.

ph Offline an0nemus

• No Life Club
  • I Tool Therefore I Am
Reply #22607 on: May 31, 2018, 11:12:14 AM
Arriving in 2 weeks are:

New BO Rebar
Used Super Tool 300
And what I'm really super excited about, a new Cold Steel Talwar!

es Offline ThePeacent

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Firm believer of Sturgeon's Law
Reply #22608 on: May 31, 2018, 12:10:23 PM
Arriving in 2 weeks are:

New BO Rebar
Used Super Tool 300
And what I'm really super excited about, a new Cold Steel Talwar!

(Image removed from quote.)(Image removed from quote.)(Image removed from quote.)

OMG my second favorite recently discontinued Cold Steel.  :salute: They are GREAT!!   :cheers:
My toys:

MTs: Surge (2x), Skeletool CX, Rebar, Blast, Fuse, Micra, Squirt (3x), Wave, Crunch, Mini, Spirit (2x), Pro Scout, MP700 (2x), Diesel, Powerlock, PowerPlier (2x), PocketPowerPlier, Blacktip , ST6 (2x), 5WR, A100

SAKs: Bantam, Executive, Ambassador, Minichamp, Classic Alox, Champion, Farmer, Explorer, Swisschamp, Golf Tool, Wenger Champ, EVO 52, Pocket Tool Chest

ph Offline an0nemus

• No Life Club
  • I Tool Therefore I Am
Reply #22609 on: May 31, 2018, 12:12:26 PM

OMG my second favorite recently discontinued Cold Steel.  :salute: They are GREAT!!   :cheers:
Thanks! And I got this for only $59

I wish the XL isn't so expensive!

« Last Edit: September 20, 2019, 12:51:13 PM by Poncho65 »

• No Life Club
Reply #22610 on: May 31, 2018, 05:07:33 PM
I will admit, I bought a knife solely for looks. It gets pretty good reviews at least, to my defense.

I've got a Squirt ES4 on the way as well.

Finally the Holy Grail of Wenger tools (at least to me) is slowly making its way from nevada to my door:

Charles.

cy Offline dks

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bored
Reply #22611 on: May 31, 2018, 05:24:01 PM
I have an anti-zombie tool coming...  :)
Kelly: "Daddy, what makes men cheat on women?
Al : "Women!"

[ Knife threads ]  [ Country shopping guides ]  [ Battery-Charger-Light threads ]  [ Picture threads ]

us Offline Yadda

• No Life Club
Reply #22612 on: June 01, 2018, 02:05:49 AM
I have an anti-zombie tool coming...  :)

Fingers crossed In hopes you won't need it before it arrives.

cy Offline dks

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bored
Reply #22613 on: June 01, 2018, 07:46:38 AM
 :assimilate:

[ Knife threads ]  [ Country shopping guides ]  [ Battery-Charger-Light threads ]  [ Picture threads ]

us Offline MadPlumbarian

• Point Of No Return
  • Plumbers Know Their Crap!!
Reply #22614 on: June 03, 2018, 02:14:29 AM
Well, I just found out what one of my father’s day gifts are,, I guess this means I can enjoy the ones I have now since I won’t run out.. but I can’t wait to try those ghost pepper ones! I spoke with the owner and he said the trick is to find the right combo, like half a cup of the ghosts to a full cup to the sweet ones to give it that right umph!
JR
"The-Mad-Plumbarian" The Punisher Of Pipes!!! JR
As I sit on my Crapper Throne in the Reading Room and explode on the Commode, thinking, how my flush beat John’s and Jerry’s pair? Jack’s had to run for the Water Closet yet ended up tripping on a Can bowing and hitting his Head on the Porcelain God! 🚽

us Offline cody6268

Reply #22615 on: June 03, 2018, 07:56:03 PM
Benchmade 8 Rescue Hook. I like my 7  (which can be carried in places knives can't, as well as easily slicing through stuff blades struggle with), but figured the extra length would be a bit better for use around the farm as it gives more leverage for cutting tougher stuff (I've cut through some thick rope with the 7 in one pull).  So far, even though somehow there's one chip in the edge, my 7 still remains sharp despite heavy, daily use.

« Last Edit: June 03, 2018, 07:57:53 PM by cody6268 »

cy Offline dks

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bored
Reply #22616 on: June 13, 2018, 05:03:30 PM
IMG_20180613_172724.jpg
* IMG_20180613_172724.jpg (Filesize: 69.5 KB)
IMG_20180613_173320.jpg
* IMG_20180613_173320.jpg (Filesize: 157.1 KB)

ph Offline an0nemus

• No Life Club
  • I Tool Therefore I Am
Reply #22617 on: June 13, 2018, 05:33:44 PM
Sold my used satin Super Tool 300 for $75, and bought a pre-owned but unused BO Super Tool 300 for $45 over at ebay.

Also bought a used Buck 112 and thumb another thumb stud from ebay.

:like:

us Offline SteveC

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #22618 on: June 13, 2018, 09:30:32 PM
« Last Edit: September 20, 2019, 12:52:59 PM by Poncho65 »

us Offline SteveC

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #22619 on: June 13, 2018, 09:30:59 PM
Sold my used satin Super Tool 300 for $75, and bought a pre-owned but unused BO Super Tool 300 for $45 over at ebay.

Also bought a used Buck 112 and thumb another thumb stud from ebay.

:like:

That's how you do it  :D    :like: :tu:

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69