Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

What do we have on the way?

Benner · 26149 · 1384003

us Offline cody6268

• Absolutely No Life Club
Re: What do we have on the way?
Reply #23940 on: May 19, 2019, 10:32:12 PM
Knipex 6.5 inch combination pliers. I'm still getting the electrically insulated 9-Inch version for more primary jobs, but to pair with an SAK for EDC-type tasks, these should be just fine. It's in part, why I didn't scale up to the 8-inch standard combination pliers.  Those don't fit in a pocket too well.

And the real reason for the Home Depot order--I broke one of the chimneys in the dining room chandelier. They were very fragile; and the glass isn't much thicker than a lightbulb. One errant bottle of eyedrops shattered the thing like crazy (tried to throw it on the table, missed and hit the chandelier). That was $35 for five.  The Knipex pliers were ordered A: Because I was going to get them anyway from another source B: to get over the $45 free shipping threshold.  Strangely enough, Home Depot was the only place had had them at an affordable price; and didn't want $20 for shipping. Everyone else also wanted $5 more because my order for the chimneys was under $100. Lowe's only carries one chimney, in store and online, and it's way too big.

gb Offline Wspeed

• Just Bananas
Reply #23941 on: May 19, 2019, 11:28:51 PM
Great tool cody  :tu:
fail to prepare prepare to fail

us Offline cody6268

Reply #23942 on: May 20, 2019, 10:38:57 PM
I've been looking at these Streamlights for quite some time. They are often quite cheap on the surplus outlets. Been looking at new, but used was half-price, and I had an $5 voucher from eBay from an item showing up late due to a USPS slip-up; making it about $15.   Only problem I've got is that the Sidewinder, being military issue, is not covered by the warranty. Had I known that, I likely would not have bought it. I guess if it doesn't work, I can always send it back. But, it's brighter, and much more compact than the old Fultons. Figure this will be a good one to clip to my belt so that I can use it hands-free.  Not only that, it can pivot between straight and right angle; versus one or the other.  Not to mention, it runs for 200 hours at 55 lumens. Not a bad battery life on 2AAs. I get that out of neither my LED Lenser PX6 or any Maglite I own. 

It has white, red, and blue LEDs in it.  I know white is regular, red (night vision), and blue is supposedly IR; don't know exactly how that works.

za Offline Max Stone

Reply #23943 on: May 20, 2019, 10:56:55 PM
Nice find cody. I suspect the blue led will work at night to avoid being picked up in night vision glasses as it’s a different spectrum to what the glasses are looking for. They typically enhance the IR spectrum and even use an IR illuminator to enhance their performance. The blue led means there’s less chance of giving away your location, especially at a distance.  :salute:
Education is a journey that starts when you realize that knowing a little about something opens the door to the universe.

us Offline gerleatherberman

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Man of Multiple MultiTool Manufacturers
Reply #23944 on: May 21, 2019, 06:12:08 AM
Awesome light, Cody! :like:

Thanks for the info, Max! Learned something cool today! :woohoo:
Pontificating particularly pious positions pertaining to polymorphic paraphernalia. G-Man.

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #23945 on: May 21, 2019, 09:08:16 AM
Oh smurf marbles. Hope this wasn't a mistake. Fingers crossed this one is salvageable. :ahhh

FlipGrip.

* s-l400.jpg (Filesize: 20.14 KB)
Pontificating particularly pious positions pertaining to polymorphic paraphernalia. G-Man.

gb Offline Wspeed

• Just Bananas
Reply #23946 on: May 21, 2019, 12:33:55 PM
Hopefully it’s just dirty and needs a good clean GLBM  :tu: :like:

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #23947 on: May 21, 2019, 03:14:50 PM
Hopefully it’s just dirty and needs a good clean GLBM  :tu: :like:
Thank you, W! :cheers:

za Offline Max Stone

Reply #23948 on: May 21, 2019, 06:03:14 PM
Good luck GLBM. Hopefully dirt and not corrosion.  :popcorn:
Education is a journey that starts when you realize that knowing a little about something opens the door to the universe.

it Offline SirVicaLot

Reply #23949 on: May 21, 2019, 06:27:28 PM
I've been looking at these Streamlights for quite some time. They are often quite cheap on the surplus outlets. Been looking at new, but used was half-price, and I had an $5 voucher from eBay from an item showing up late due to a USPS slip-up; making it about $15.   Only problem I've got is that the Sidewinder, being military issue, is not covered by the warranty. Had I known that, I likely would not have bought it. I guess if it doesn't work, I can always send it back. But, it's brighter, and much more compact than the old Fultons. Figure this will be a good one to clip to my belt so that I can use it hands-free.  Not only that, it can pivot between straight and right angle; versus one or the other.  Not to mention, it runs for 200 hours at 55 lumens. Not a bad battery life on 2AAs. I get that out of neither my LED Lenser PX6 or any Maglite I own. 

It has white, red, and blue LEDs in it.  I know white is regular, red (night vision), and blue is supposedly IR; don't know exactly how that works.

(Image removed from quote.)

Nice one Cody! It got one myself and like it so far.  :tu:

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #23950 on: May 21, 2019, 06:46:33 PM
Good luck GLBM. Hopefully dirt and not corrosion.  :popcorn:
Thank you, Max! :cheers:

The seller claims the stuff "comes off with a fingernail", but most sellers would have just cleaned it and listed it higher. Though, that said, I've gotten some amazing deals on tools that looked new under layers of dirt and surface rust after cleaning. :ahhh

za Offline Max Stone

Reply #23951 on: May 21, 2019, 07:42:41 PM
It’s always amazed me how little some sellers do to improve their listings. I think sometimes people sell for other people, so they’re not bothered to make any effort. Dunno.  :dunno:

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #23952 on: May 22, 2019, 02:48:19 AM
It’s always amazed me how little some sellers do to improve their listings. I think sometimes people sell for other people, so they’re not bothered to make any effort. Dunno.  :dunno:
Good point. :salute:

Can't even quantify the amount of money saved buying used tools and doing resto/cleaning to make them like new. :ahhh

nz Offline zoidberg

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #23953 on: May 22, 2019, 03:04:03 AM
I have a package on the way but don't know exactly what is in it.

it Offline SirVicaLot

Reply #23954 on: May 22, 2019, 04:29:07 AM
What’s the story on that one?  :popcorn:

nz Offline zoidberg

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #23955 on: May 22, 2019, 04:50:41 AM
Just some stuff to test.

gb Offline Wspeed

• Just Bananas
Reply #23956 on: May 22, 2019, 12:23:21 PM
Sounds Interesting zoidberg  :popcorn:

us Offline cody6268

Reply #23957 on: May 28, 2019, 03:04:43 PM
In addition to the Streamlight, this should be in the mailbox today; a pair of Serrated Spartans (Weekender) from REI.  At basically 2-for-1 ($12 each, when the normal price is $25), I couldn't pass the deal up. A lot of online sellers were really jacking up used ones; treating them as the long-discontinued Weekender.  For summer use, it will be great in that I have the same serrations as the 111mm OH blade, but in a lighter and smaller package. The second is to try to get my grandmother to start carrying an SAK; so she doesn't have to ask me to borrow stuff as much, even though she knows where my toolboxes are in the house, when I start off to work. We have tons of tools, but Granddad and I had to lock up and secure all the toolboxes that were in the farm shop and garage to prevent my father and his crazy wife from stealing and reselling the tools; even though the buildings they were in have had industrial-grade Masterlocks on them for years; they still got in.

« Last Edit: May 28, 2019, 03:14:21 PM by cody6268 »

gb Offline Wspeed

• Just Bananas
Reply #23958 on: May 28, 2019, 03:26:06 PM
Great deal on the Spartans cody :like:
Weird that they can get in :think:
Have they got the key for the locks  :dunno:

us Offline cody6268

Reply #23959 on: May 28, 2019, 06:05:09 PM
Great deal on the Spartans cody :like:
Weird that they can get in :think:
Have they got the key for the locks  :dunno:

I don't know. We think they picked the locks; and with the farm shop, they forced entry by prying off the hasp.  Probably need to change the locks again. I already had, since I knew my Dad had a key to the old lock. We used to lease a place down below us to put up for hay, and we gave the then-owner the keys. A lot were keyed alike (we ordered them by the case from a mine supply place in town); and since A: they leased it after we did and B: the landowner told us not to remove the locks and then proceeded to give them the keys (and we were livid at that); it's probably time to order a new case of locks. Oh well, another $125 down the drain.

gb Offline Wspeed

• Just Bananas
Reply #23960 on: May 28, 2019, 06:07:17 PM
Better spending a bit of money than loosing all your tools cody :tu:

za Offline Max Stone

Reply #23961 on: May 28, 2019, 07:16:28 PM
May be too good to be true (we’ll see), but got a NIB PST...unopened. Now waiting for post.  :popcorn:

gb Offline Wspeed

• Just Bananas
Reply #23962 on: May 28, 2019, 07:23:41 PM
Nice one Max looks good  :like: :tu:

de Offline CeHo

• No Life Club
Reply #23963 on: May 28, 2019, 08:14:20 PM
May be too good to be true (we’ll see), but got a NIB PST...unopened. Now waiting for post.  :popcorn:

Great score, Max  :popcorn:

za Offline Max Stone

Reply #23964 on: May 28, 2019, 08:40:00 PM
Thanks WS, CeHo. Owner says she bought it in the US in the "early 2000's" and never opened it. Should arrive next week...we'll see!  :think:

za Offline Max Stone

Reply #23965 on: May 29, 2019, 08:49:01 PM
I now have a tracking number...so expected by the weekend.  :popcorn:

Here’s the back of the blister pack. I think this is going to be one of those Toy Story scenarios with the Prospector. Never thought I’d find a NIB PST, and now that I’m getting one, I have no idea what I’m going to do with it.  :facepalm:

de Offline CeHo

• No Life Club
Reply #23966 on: May 29, 2019, 09:42:26 PM
Maybe a great place in a display?

za Offline Max Stone

Reply #23967 on: May 29, 2019, 09:45:00 PM
Yes I think so.  :iagree:

de Offline CeHo

• No Life Club
Reply #23968 on: May 29, 2019, 09:46:45 PM
 :popcorn:

gb Offline Wspeed

• Just Bananas
Reply #23969 on: May 29, 2019, 09:52:25 PM
Use it Max  :pok: :D

Donations