Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Leatherman Kick field test

Offline jay_imok

Leatherman Kick field test
on: November 26, 2007, 12:41:26 AM
i made a very specific point to use my Kick today as a sole tool replacing 3 wall light switches.

beyond frustration but i think it is mostly because i am a "right tool for the job" guy and this is more of a "almost okay tool for some jobs" and using something like this goes against 37 years of work in the trades.

but i have vowed to get the hang of this, afterall, "... it's a poor workman who blames his tools..."

so here goes:

how long to break in the pliers so they don't take 2 hands to open them? (no tool should require this, by the way)

has anyone successfully cross hatched the plier jaws so they can remove a screw from the 'head on' position? the parallel grooves just spun on the screw threads so i ended up bending the screw and turning the jaws 90 degrees to the thread.

all in all, a 20 minute job became 45 minutes. damn lucky McGuyver ever got out of those jambs!

england Offline Benner

• Global Tuffy
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • Just Awesome! And a Slayer of Polar Bear!
Re: Leatherman Kick field test
Reply #1 on: November 26, 2007, 12:46:06 AM
As for the tight opening, Whichdawg was saying how he had the same problems
http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,2858.0.html

Does anyone actually own a "loose" kick??
I'm back!!

Offline Leatherman123

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #2 on: November 26, 2007, 01:00:53 AM
Mine is well broken in- just like all of my other LM's
B

us Offline WhichDawg

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #3 on: November 26, 2007, 01:06:54 AM
Yup, she's a-tight! but we really do like it. it's light compared to the others. the phillips works nice.
We never tried to remove a screw yet, mostly circuit board and electrical  work.

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #4 on: November 27, 2007, 03:15:27 AM
Mine's hardly used, yet it was 'just right' on the tightness right out of the box.
In order to be certain of having the right tool for every job.........one must first acquire a lot of tools

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #5 on: November 27, 2007, 03:16:28 AM
......has anyone successfully cross hatched the plier jaws so they can remove a screw from the 'head on' position? the parallel grooves just spun on the screw threads so i ended up bending the screw and turning the jaws 90 degrees to the thread.....

Hey Jay, what am I missing here? Why were you using the pliers to remove a screw instead of the screwdriver?
In order to be certain of having the right tool for every job.........one must first acquire a lot of tools

us Offline NeitherExtreme

• No Life Club
  • Marsh-wiggle
Reply #6 on: November 27, 2007, 10:29:29 PM
I have a Kick that's been quite used. It works nicely and always has... It's not as smooth as some other tools, and I think that's because of the plastic/metal conection. But it has worn or changed much at all with plenty of use.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62
Net Balance: $360.24
Above Goal: $60.24
Site Currency: USD
120%