Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Not feeling the Pulse ...

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
on: June 25, 2011, 01:00:11 PM
I fear I maybe in for a severe lynching by voicing my thoughts here ... but I need to ask ... sorry!  :pommel:

The Leatherman Pulse, a much loved and iconic tool with many devout followers despite many tooling developments by LM and others .... why? My shortsighted and naive mind sees an inside opening 2HO clumpathon, which whilst having rolled edges and a diamond file and other nice features, doesn't seem to offer anything like what (for example) the Wave offers. I almost had a chance of one of these a while back to see for myself what the fuss was about, but missed the boat  :twak:

Is it because it's in short supply? Those rocker locks? Can those who adore this tool spare a little wisdom for a simple lad like me and tell me what I'm missing out on?

:cheers:

(BTW - If anyone needs me I'll be hiding behind the sofa just in case)

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Armed with camera and not afraid to use it.
Re: Not feeling the Pulse ...
Reply #1 on: June 25, 2011, 01:13:35 PM
No fear. We don't force people to like multi-tools around here...at least the last time I checked. :D

I like the Pulse for its unique rocker locking mechanism and tool load out. But mostly for me, it was my father's first good quality multi-tool. Therefore, my own copy holds a prominent position in my collection because it was his.

A little Leatherman information.

Leatherman series articles

au Offline MultiMat

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • The MTO handshake.
Reply #2 on: June 25, 2011, 02:44:00 PM
I LOVE the Pulse because it is so compact , has great scissors , a diamond file  & it has tool locks. Tough to find such a nice compact MT that has tool locks. The quirky rocker locks are the icing on the cake for me  :D :D.I like to pocket carry my MTs & the Pulse is a real nice MT to do this with. 8) 8) 8)

"Downunder Mod (that sounds dirty, doesn't it?)"
Yeh Baby :P >:D >:D

ni-ulster Offline cerbera147

• No Life Club
Reply #3 on: June 25, 2011, 02:56:11 PM

I traded mine as it was too pretty to use  ::)

I'm not a huge fan of the old school Leathermans but the Pulse changed my mind  :tu:

It has everything you could want in multi without being huuuge. Definitely important in the development of Leathermans  :tu:

I guess its popularity is down to that fact it has a good selection of tools and of course discontinued. Rather like the Juice KF4  :D

cy Offline dks

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bored
Reply #4 on: June 25, 2011, 03:02:35 PM
I fear I maybe in for a severe lynching by voicing my thoughts here ... but I need to ask ... sorry!  :pommel:

The Leatherman Pulse, a much loved and iconic tool with many devout followers despite many tooling developments by LM and others .... why?

You are just not as evolved as the rest of the members here...   

:D

Dont have one really....
 but that is the great thing about multitools, there is one to fit everyboy (apart from me, still looking, which justifies my still buying policy..)
Kelly: "Daddy, what makes men cheat on women?
Al : "Women!"

[ Knife threads ]  [ Country shopping guides ]  [ Battery-Charger-Light threads ]  [ Picture threads ]

um Offline Mr. Whippy

• Global Moderator
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • North American Meetup: May13-15 2011
Reply #5 on: June 25, 2011, 03:09:20 PM
Does the Pulse actually have a diamond coat file?  That would be awesome!

us Offline turnsouth

• No Life Club
  • There is no spoon
Reply #6 on: June 25, 2011, 05:01:52 PM
Never underestimate the power of the fleece

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #7 on: June 25, 2011, 05:40:44 PM
Does the Pulse actually have a diamond coat file?  That would be awesome!
absolutely it does, same as found on the PST II AFAIK.

I have to admit the Pulse most certainly has some flaws, the tool clumping being chief amongst them IMO.  But it is also well stocked with good tools and it all fits in a PST sized tool.

My slightly fuller thoughts (from a couple of years ago) here: http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,11899.msg221062.html#msg221062
Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

au Offline MultiMat

• The MTO handshake.
Reply #8 on: June 25, 2011, 05:44:14 PM
I borrowed Bruce's picture showing the 2 varieties of diamond files found in Pulses  8) 8) 8).

um Offline Mr. Whippy

• Global Moderator
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • North American Meetup: May13-15 2011
Reply #9 on: June 25, 2011, 06:23:13 PM
I borrowed Bruce's picture showing the 2 varieties of diamond files found in Pulses  8) 8) 8).

(Image removed from quote.)

That tears it.

I officially want a Pulse.  8)

us Offline turnsouth

• No Life Club
  • There is no spoon
Reply #10 on: June 25, 2011, 06:35:39 PM
That one with the fish hook grove is quite tantalizing... :drool:

gb Offline Zed

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #11 on: June 25, 2011, 06:53:24 PM
Mine only lasted a week Al, nothing seems to replace the wave for me, i love my pst and st300 as well, but im not convinced on the locks on the pulse, each to there own though and still a nice looking MT  :tu:

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #12 on: June 25, 2011, 07:10:48 PM

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Thanks for the feedback guys.

I LOVE the Pulse because it is so compact , has great scissors , a diamond file  & it has tool locks. Tough to find such a nice compact MT that has tool locks. The quirky rocker locks are the icing on the cake for me  :D :D.I like to pocket carry my MTs & the Pulse is a real nice MT to do this with. 8) 8) 8)
I didn't realise it was a compact tool. I automatically assumed it was .... well, another one for the bag or belt I suppose  :-\

You are just not as evolved as the rest of the members here...   
This I knew ...  :D

I'm not a huge fan of the old school Leathermans but the Pulse changed my mind  :tu:
I guess its popularity is down to that fact it has a good selection of tools and of course discontinued. Rather like the Juice KF4  :D

The Sideclip did that for me. Simple, no frills and very pocketable (Don't mention the "J" word though, there's one avenue of LM's product line I don't get on with  :ahhh :ahhh)

Thanks for the link Gareth  :tu: although I'm still not convinced. Had it been non-locking though I might have had to grab one  :D

Then again, there's still chance   :P

I like the Pulse for its unique rocker locking mechanism and tool load out. But mostly for me, it was my father's first good quality multi-tool. Therefore, my own copy holds a prominent position in my collection because it was his.

Best answer yet  :salute:

Mine only lasted a week Al, nothing seems to replace the wave for me, i love my pst and st300 as well, but im not convinced on the locks on the pulse, each to there own though and still a nice looking MT  :tu:

I know what you mean Paul, I'm just starting to get a feel of what works for me. At work the Wave is perfect, for the bag it's the Swisstool and if I'm pocket carrying anything other than just a SAK I've now got a Sideclip, PPP or Spirit RT to choose from depending on my mood, although pretty much all three of those benefit from carrying a SAK too, if only for the scissors

(Note to self: Must get a Kick before they start getting thin on the ground ... and a clip for it too)

il Offline Threeme2189

• No Life Club
  • When in doubt, use a bigger hammer.
Reply #13 on: June 25, 2011, 11:51:26 PM
The Pulse is a favorite among many because it's:
a. small, sleek and pocketable. think a tiny bit fatter than a pst.
b. has locking tools. Some love and some hate the rocker locks, I love them.
c. has a very good tool load out. The scissors and diamond file rock!
d. discontinued. This fact does make owning one more appealing.

It does have some flaws, but for most of us the advantages outweigh them considerably.
Either way, we can't force you to like it, or can we? :P
Chuck Norris' preferred iron supplement is rebar.

gb Offline Farmman

Reply #14 on: June 26, 2011, 01:44:19 AM
Ok mate you and I really need to meet up so I can fill in the holes in your leatherman knowledge. If the pulse wasn't so rare I would carry mine far more.

us Offline Crouton

• No Life Club
  • "Live long and ..useful."
Reply #15 on: June 26, 2011, 01:56:08 AM
It's a well built tool but the rocker locks are a pain to use for me.
:)

gb Offline Zed

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #16 on: June 26, 2011, 08:05:21 AM
yeah a kick with a clip is a great lightweight alternative Al, i had one for a while and liked it,i would buy another but i decided recently to give the sog micro toolclip a try first, im still not convinced on the sog although a handy little tool, my wave is always in my backpack and ive generaly always got a slipjoint in my pocket and a classic on my keychain, the wave is well and truely tested for me,  ;)

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #17 on: June 26, 2011, 10:34:11 AM
Ok mate you and I really need to meet up so I can fill in the holes in your leatherman knowledge. If the pulse wasn't so rare I would carry mine far more.

Definitely mate  :tu: I'm tied up for the next couple of weekends (again - c'mon life, gimme a break), but we'll certainly have to meet up for a pint at some point

au Offline MultiMat

• The MTO handshake.
Reply #18 on: June 27, 2011, 08:33:25 AM

That tears it.

I officially want a Pulse.  8)

DaveK did used to have quite a few Pulses  :think: :think:.
Good luck Whipper  :D :D

gb Offline nuphoria

• Ambidangerous Mistress of Mod
  • Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not all bad, I'm just drawn that way.
Reply #19 on: June 27, 2011, 09:42:34 AM
They have just become more appealing to me.... probably peer pressure :D

Can they be modded and the knife exchanged for something else? (Thinking UK carry here)
A dyslexic man walks in to a bra...

All my music for free: http://soundcloud.com/chrissyvandyke

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #20 on: June 27, 2011, 06:41:25 PM
It' should come apart like any PST etc and, going purely by eyeball, the blade looks to be only a whisper thicker than a SOG component, so that might work.

us Offline turnsouth

• No Life Club
  • There is no spoon
Reply #21 on: June 27, 2011, 07:21:09 PM
It' should come apart like any PST etc and, going purely by eyeball, the blade looks to be only a whisper thicker than a SOG component, so that might work.

I'm wondering, has anyone has ever tried filing down the locking notch on the blade? Just enough so that the blade can be forced closed, without using the lock release, but still offer enough tension to keep the blade open safely.

Is it possible?

us Offline airballrad

• Gadget Addict
Reply #22 on: June 27, 2011, 07:24:24 PM
I bought a Pulse in 2001 to replace my beloved PST and it was my EDC for about seven years. Slim compared to the newer LM tools and paired with a Tool Adapter and bits was a match for any task for the duration. It wore through two nylon sheaths and is now back in its original well-worn leather sheath. I recently picked up a Super Tool 200 and I really like having all the rocker lock tools in my collection now.  :multi:

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #23 on: June 27, 2011, 07:32:37 PM

I'm wondering, has anyone has ever tried filing down the locking notch on the blade? Just enough so that the blade can be forced closed, without using the lock release, but still offer enough tension to keep the blade open safely.

Is it possible?
it's a nice thought and actually you're pretty much describing a PST blade.  Again going by eyeball the PST blade would pretty much just drop in or at least only take a little bit of reworking.  What I hadn't realised until now was the the Pulse blade is a touch longer than the one on the PST.

us Offline genevabuck

• No Life Club
Reply #24 on: June 27, 2011, 07:51:25 PM
The Pulse needs to be updated with modern locks.  :tu:

us Offline turnsouth

• No Life Club
  • There is no spoon
Reply #25 on: June 27, 2011, 09:07:06 PM

Is it possible?
it's a nice thought and actually you're pretty much describing a PST blade.  Again going by eyeball the PST blade would pretty much just drop in or at least only take a little bit of reworking.  What I hadn't realised until now was the the Pulse blade is a touch longer than the one on the PST.

Seems like it could be the best of both worlds. A UK legal MT, but still have locking drivers. :multi:

us Offline Mercury

• Admin Team
  • Wearer of the Cloak of Band-aye-eed.
Reply #26 on: June 28, 2011, 06:45:15 AM
I carry my pulse regardless of how rare they are.  I also regularly use my sideclip.  The sideclip has seen 10 years of use and it a shining example of old school leatherman quality.  The pulse has been carried almost daily for a year and you CANNOT tell.  I love the rocker locks(though on the larger ST200 I can't stand them, they hurt when you grip the tool hard), I love the tool loadout, I love the drivers, especially the dedicated micro flathead, the blast's tiny bit driver absolutely cannot hold a candle to this one.  I love the pulse so much I bought one from Sawman for my dad, and he put his juice(also bought by me) on the shelf and is now EDCing the pulse! 

The pulse is the most perfect combination for me that LM has ever come up with.  It's truly my favorite MT of all time.

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #27 on: July 02, 2011, 09:40:35 PM
Well thanks a lot guys, you did it to me again  :twak: :twak: :twak:
Soon I'll be able to find out for myself, there's one on the way

.... and a kick with clip

.... and a PST II

You're a BAD influence you lot  ;)

(As for the modding of the Pulse to knifeless, I did consider the saw from a ST200 but that means buying ANOTHER tool  :-\)

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #28 on: July 08, 2011, 02:15:21 PM
UPDATE ............  :mail:

To be continued .....

us Offline airballrad

• Gadget Addict
Reply #29 on: July 08, 2011, 02:33:43 PM
UPDATE ............  :mail:

To be continued .....
You tease...  :pok:  :D