Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Not feeling the Pulse ...

us Offline Mercury

• Admin Team
  • Absolutely No Life Club
  • Wearer of the Cloak of Band-aye-eed.
Re: Not feeling the Pulse ...
Reply #30 on: July 08, 2011, 06:08:36 PM
Yea, out with it!  :ahhh

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
Reply #31 on: July 10, 2011, 01:30:23 AM
Easy fellers, alcohol has delayed broadcast and assessment is underway. Our transmission will resume promptly!  :D besides, I'm killing time till the PST II shows up  :salute:

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #32 on: July 10, 2011, 04:46:56 PM
Well it’s here ...

... and to be honest, I’m undecided.

There’s some things I like about it, and some I don’t. What impressed me most I think is the fact that this is pretty much the same size as the Kick, but has so many more functions. OK, the Kick has beefier pliers and longer drivers – but the Pulse adds scissors and “that file” in the same sized package. (I did then notice the Spirit wasn’t much bigger for all that offers). It’s also a very good looking tool

As MM said before, the size does make it very pocketable – I was expecting something much bigger. Here it is alongside the Kick, Sideclip, Kick, PPP & Spirit. I’ve carried the PPP on a suspension clip quite a bit and not found it intrusive so I can definitely see the appeal for pocket carry

The previous owner has done a cracking job of tidying this tool up after the owner before him let it get in a real state, that said there’s still just enough character and signs of life as a tool to make sure this is a user without feeling like you've just sneezed on the Mona Lisa.

Here’s my initial and abrupt thoughts: Size excellent, clumptastically tedious, frustrating locks, fantastic file, knife just fine, looks 8), no awl, drivers adequate (I do like to see tools doubled up though), scissors small but usable, and a nice moderate duty pliers

My main (personal) problem with this tool is deciding where it fits. Nothing beats my Wave for work, and it’s not going to evict my Swisstool CS plus from my backpack (or Spirit on lighter days). The car tool will (eventually) be a Powerlock (but might be raiding it for parts first) and general light duty (and legal) carry would go to Kick, PPP or Sideclip. That said, the last three all have a serious scissor deficiency (hence why I have a PST II on the way), and if the Pulse was knifeless it would overcome the legality issue.

Being rare, shiny, collectable or otherwise desirable holds no real appeal to me if I can’t put it to work. It’s either a tool I’m going to use, or a tool I’m going to lose. I really think it needs more pocket time to know whether or not this will have a long term place in my lineup

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #33 on: July 10, 2011, 05:18:35 PM
Nice thoughts mate and I agree with a lot of it.  I will say though that the locks are definitely something you'll get used to if you give them a chance.  I know I was very wary of them when I first got my Pulse but now they are absolutely second nature and a breeze to open. :)
Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

gb Offline Magic Bus

• No Life Club
  • Ruler of the E01 society!!
Reply #34 on: July 10, 2011, 05:30:37 PM
Ahem.  A Pulse is on my wanted list soo .... if you don't like it ?  :D  :angel: Having said that I do hope you like it and keep it.
Gabba gabba hey!!

us Offline Singh

• No Life Club
Reply #35 on: July 10, 2011, 08:12:14 PM
I can see the appeal due to the Pulse's the 6oz weight and tool compliment. It has two more tools than the current Fuse but is the same weight. And the Pulse has rolled edges rather than a cheapo plastic handle liner. The rocking locking mechanism and clumping can be frustrating, or you can just embrace the retro.

For those who like them, I can see the appeal. But there are MTs out there that can do it better than the Pulse.  It all depends on what you want & like. To each his own.  :)

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #36 on: July 10, 2011, 08:13:03 PM
Nice thoughts mate and I agree with a lot of it.  I will say though that the locks are definitely something you'll get used to if you give them a chance.  I know I was very wary of them when I first got my Pulse but now they are absolutely second nature and a breeze to open. :)
Cheers mate, I'll give it a chance for sure.

Ahem.  A Pulse is on my wanted list soo .... if you don't like it ?  :D  :angel: Having said that I do hope you like it and keep it.
I might be a good while making my mind up, so if you're after one quick I wouldn't wait for this one  :D :D :D

Nearly took it for a spin earlier. Had to break a wardrobe down, and went for the Pulse to undo the screws etc ... only to find out it needed an Allen key  :( . Swisstool CS Plus to the rescue  ::)

gb Offline Magic Bus

• No Life Club
  • Ruler of the E01 society!!
Reply #37 on: July 10, 2011, 08:24:42 PM
Cheers mate, I'll give it a chance for sure.

I might be a good while making my mind up, so if you're after one quick I wouldn't wait for this one  :D :D :D

Nearly took it for a spin earlier. Had to break a wardrobe down, and went for the Pulse to undo the screws etc ... only to find out it needed an Allen key  :( . Swisstool CS Plus to the rescue  ::)

LOL I'm as patient as water wearing rock down  >:D :D
Gabba gabba hey!!

us Offline turnsouth

• No Life Club
  • There is no spoon
Reply #38 on: July 10, 2011, 09:11:01 PM
...And the Pulse has rolled edges rather than a cheapo plastic handle liner...

I don't know if "cheapo" is the right word to use when talking about the lightweight thermoplastic polyamide material used in many Benchmade's, Leatherman's, Gerber's, SARGE Knives, Cold Steel's, CRKT's, Kershaw's, and SOG Knives, to name a few. Not to mention that it is the frame material used in many of today's most popular handguns, and long gun stocks.

Just saying...
Never underestimate the power of the fleece

dk Offline AHB

• Keeper Of The PowerCut
  • Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Don't mistake lack of talent for genius.
Reply #39 on: July 10, 2011, 09:21:58 PM
...And the Pulse has rolled edges rather than a cheapo plastic handle liner...

I don't know if "cheapo" is the right word to use when talking about the lightweight thermoplastic polyamide material used in many Benchmade's, Leatherman's, Gerber's, SARGE Knives, Cold Steel's, CRKT's, Kershaw's, and SOG Knives, to name a few. Not to mention that it is the frame material used in many of today's most popular handguns, and long gun stocks.

Just saying...
I was actually waiting for your comment...  ;) :D

us Offline turnsouth

• No Life Club
  • There is no spoon
Reply #40 on: July 10, 2011, 09:43:15 PM
I was actually waiting for your comment...  ;) :D

Well, what can I say...

;) :D

us Offline Singh

• No Life Club
Reply #41 on: July 10, 2011, 10:02:08 PM
"lightweight thermoplastic polyamide material!"

Plastic!

"lightweight thermoplastic polyamide material!"

Plastic!

:duel:  :D

Oh, I know about the properties of the material. I won't knock it's uses, but I don't prefer it for MTs.

us Offline turnsouth

• No Life Club
  • There is no spoon
Reply #42 on: July 10, 2011, 10:33:30 PM
Oh, I know about the properties of the material. I won't knock it's uses, but I don't prefer it for MTs.

Understood, everyone has their preferences, their likes and dislikes.

Just wanted to point out that "cheapo" wasn't the right word for an incredibly strong, industry proven, abrasion and impact resistant material with excellent retention of mechanical properties when exposed to heat, chemicals and moisture. Also it has excellent surface appearance, as well as improved wear and friction over natural ores.

But like you said, you know the properties of the material

:D

us Offline Mercury

• Admin Team
Reply #43 on: July 10, 2011, 10:35:25 PM
I am torn by the Zytel usage.  On the one hand, it makes the tool about 30% thicker than it needs to be, on the other hand it makes it REALLY comfortable to use.  As with all things multi, it's about compromise.  You don't have to like it, there are a million other models out there. 

If you guys want to argue, at least make it about something worthwhile and start slamming Gerbers or something!   :D  :cheers:

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #44 on: July 10, 2011, 10:38:16 PM
I am torn by the Zytel usage.  On the one hand, it makes the tool about 30% thicker than it needs to be, on the other hand it makes it REALLY comfortable to use.  As with all things multi, it's about compromise.  You don't have to like it, there are a million other models out there. 

If you guys want to argue, at least make it about something worthwhile and start slamming Gerbers or something!   :D  :cheers:

Oi!  :twak:

:D :D

us Offline turnsouth

• No Life Club
  • There is no spoon
Reply #45 on: July 10, 2011, 10:47:10 PM

Did someone say Radius?

us Offline Mercury

• Admin Team
Reply #46 on: July 10, 2011, 10:56:34 PM

Geeerberade....No!  OHO! (blades, that is!)

il Offline Threeme2189

• No Life Club
  • When in doubt, use a bigger hammer.
Reply #47 on: July 10, 2011, 11:03:24 PM

Slamming Gerbers = Gerber tequila shots?

+

:drink:
Chuck Norris' preferred iron supplement is rebar.

us Offline django.cj

Reply #48 on: July 10, 2011, 11:06:36 PM
I'm always surprised at the amount of zytel hate here.  Has anyone here actually had it fail or perform in a substandard manner?

us Offline Singh

• No Life Club
Reply #49 on: July 10, 2011, 11:24:33 PM
Just wanted to point out that "cheapo" wasn't the right word for an incredibly strong, industry proven, abrasion and impact resistant material with excellent retention of mechanical properties when exposed to heat, chemicals and moisture

Agreed, and my use of "cheapo" is withdrawn.  ;)  My objection to it is that it makes an MT wider than needs be. And a few chemicals and cleaners can damage it... and certain types pf polymers will absorb moisture (so don't go throwing those zytel MTs in the dishwasher). . I'd rather my  MTs be made of just one material (steel) since it narrows down my list of maintenance concerns. But that's a just me.

I am torn by the Zytel usage.  On the one hand, it makes the tool about 30% thicker than it needs to be, on the other hand it makes it REALLY comfortable to use.  As with all things multi, it's about compromise.

No need to compromise.  IMHO, the better designed MTs  are comfortable to use without zytel.The Swisstool Spirit and the Leatherman Wave are two good examples.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2011, 11:26:09 PM by shamus »

us Offline Mercury

• Admin Team
Reply #50 on: July 10, 2011, 11:43:17 PM
To each his own as I always say.  The wave is a fantastic tool, but I like dedicated drivers.  The Swisstools are great, but I like a sharper nosed plier and drivers that bite a bit more.    I carry a blast that has both dedicated grippy-er drivers and sharper pliers, but I have to deal with the thickness of the zytel.  See?  Compromise. 

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #51 on: July 11, 2011, 12:03:14 AM
 :ahhh :ahhh what happened? I only nipped out to see my Brother for a couple of hours  :P

Well the Kick is my first Zytel adourned MT, and yes I'd have liked to see more functions sandwiched into a Kick, but rolled edges loses working space too. I've no problems with the material's looks, feel or durability record. Anything that makes a tool better to use is a plus in my book  :tu:

Let's face it, LM could have made the phillips slimmer, tweaked the other tools around and put more functions in the same working space - but then it wouldn't have been an entry level tool  :think: The Kick has one less tool than a Sideclip in a much wider package ... but it feels like you can use it harder and is comfortable to use the pliers. You pay your money, you take your choice. Same applies with inboard/outboard tools, leather/nylon sheaths, high edge retention/ease of sharpening etc etc

Example

One of the issues I personally have with the Pulse's locking mech is I'm far more used to things NOT locking at all  :) It's one thing forgetting that the sodding thing locks and having to release it, it's another then thinking "Oh bugger it's not one of those locks it's one of these locks". I'm just getting used to the Vic's and the Wave locking (always have to stop and think with the Gerber 600 for some reason) and now I've got another chuffin lock to get my head around  :D :D :D

Life was so much easier when you knew you had to use a knife properly or your fingers would fall off  :P :D :D :D

us Offline turnsouth

• No Life Club
  • There is no spoon
Reply #52 on: July 11, 2011, 12:47:45 AM
Agreed, and my use of "cheapo" is withdrawn.  ;)
:D

My objection to it is that it makes an MT wider than needs be.

Point taken. But I have also found the combination of a thin layer of steel, sandwiched with the proper amount of Zytel, gives much more strength, and rigidity than a greater amount of steel alone (that is, not an equal amount).  A good example is the ST300, while the steel in the ST300 handles is markedly thicker than that of the Core, I find that I can make an ST300 handle flex slightly with heavy finger pressure, whereas with the Core I can not generate enough finger pressure to flex the handle. It ends up being a careful balancing act between the three main factors: Size; Strength; Weight

And a few chemicals and cleaners can damage it...

Very true

and certain types pf polymers will absorb moisture (so don't go throwing those zytel MTs in the dishwasher)

I have found this not to be true with the Zytel formula Leatherman uses in their tools and knives. It seems that they have made sure that the composition they chose is extremely non hygroscopic. This makes sense, considering all the sweaty hands that would be handling them...

Well, anyway  :b2t: (hopefully  :D)

us Offline turnsouth

• No Life Club
  • There is no spoon
Reply #53 on: July 11, 2011, 12:53:35 AM
"Oh bugger it's not one of those locks it's one of these locks". I'm just getting used to the Vic's and the Wave locking (always have to stop and think with the Gerber 600 for some reason) and now I've got another chuffin lock to get my head around  :D :D :D

What is really bothersome is when you get so use to the locks, that you find yourself looking for the lock on a slip joint for a few seconds before you realize... :-[

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #54 on: July 11, 2011, 01:23:18 AM
"Oh bugger it's not one of those locks it's one of these locks". I'm just getting used to the Vic's and the Wave locking (always have to stop and think with the Gerber 600 for some reason) and now I've got another chuffin lock to get my head around  :D :D :D

What is really bothersome is when you get so use to the locks, that you find yourself looking for the lock on a slip joint for a few seconds before you realize... :-[

:rofl: I doubt that'll happen mate :D

Slippies and SAK's are my mainstay, and through choice rather than legal requirement. The only time I prefer a lock is on a driver or awl (and even then I'm quite comfortable without on well made tools) but my most used tools are probably knife blade and scissors which is why I tend to always have a SAK or dedicated (non-locking) folder on me, even if I've got a pliers based tool which has the same functions.

This is why I had to get a Kick before they started getting scarce, why I wanted to try a Sideclip and PST II, and probably why the PPP has been riding in my pocket so often of late AND why I MIGHT (undecided again - too early yet) look into a knifeless Pulse option. I need to put it through some evening/weekend carry to see if it draws me in, or indeed steers me towards a few tweaks.

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #55 on: July 11, 2011, 01:28:41 AM
Thing is, you can fit more in the Kick frame it's just that LM didn't.

I still think LM missed a trick by not offering more variations, why not offer a Kick with scissors and saw?  Or a file?  Or a bit driver?  It's only and expansion on what they did with the PST and the PST II, same frame but with variations on the tool options.

us Offline turnsouth

• No Life Club
  • There is no spoon
Reply #56 on: July 11, 2011, 01:57:12 AM
I still think LM missed a trick by not offering more variations, why not offer a Kick with scissors and saw?  Or a file?  Or a bit driver?  It's only and expansion on what they did with the PST and the PST II, same frame but with variations on the tool options.

I've thought about this too. With a well designed, inside opening tool, locks are really just a backup safety feature.

Perhaps it's just a money thing. It seems that with the Swiss tools/knives so entrenched in the recent history of the UK and Europe (it's hard to guess, what with Leatherman not disclosing any actual sales figures, but I'm estimating at least a 10 to 1 advantage for the Swiss) that it's an uphill battle for Leatherman to get enough market share. At least enough to encourage them to put a greater number of UK friendly tools on the market.

Just a thought...
« Last Edit: July 11, 2011, 02:37:13 AM by turnsouth »

us Offline turnsouth

• No Life Club
  • There is no spoon
Reply #57 on: July 11, 2011, 02:01:32 AM
This is why I had to get a Kick before they started getting scarce, ... I need to put it through some evening/weekend carry to see if it draws me in, or indeed steers me towards a few tweaks.

I'm thinking that you need a black oxide one too, just to make sure  :pok:  :D :D

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #58 on: July 11, 2011, 02:07:04 AM
Thing is, you can fit more in the Kick frame it's just that LM didn't.

(Image removed from quote.)

Nice setup !! To be perfectly honest, that's really why I've got a PST II coming - yes I want to try it as is, but I also want to see if I can put together something that gives me a diverse range of non locking tools in a comfortable handle. A Kick frame with diamond file, big scissors and an awl would be VERY nice if it'd work  :think:

In fact while I think on (another side track and deviation from the norm), although I carry a dedicated folder I do like having an alternate blade in my MT's sometimes, which is why the CE blade is stopping in my PPP & Gerber 600, and I might even pop the CE blade from the PST II in the Kick frame too. That said I do like having the plain edged tools in my Swisstool & Spirit  :think: I just like having different tools for different jobs in different places.

There is no perfect multitool for me - just the perfect combination of multitools  :D :D :D

This is why I had to get a Kick before they started getting scarce, ... I need to put it through some evening/weekend carry to see if it draws me in, or indeed steers me towards a few tweaks.

I'm thinking that you need a black oxide one too, just to make sure  :pok:  :D :D

Wouldn't look so good with a mix of shiny PST II parts though  :P

us Offline Mercury

• Admin Team
Reply #59 on: July 11, 2011, 06:56:35 AM
Man I love the modded kick Gareth!

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!