Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Not feeling the Pulse ...

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Re: Not feeling the Pulse ...
Reply #60 on: July 11, 2011, 08:03:18 AM
Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
Reply #61 on: July 11, 2011, 06:47:08 PM
The PST II landed today  >:D

Slight  :oops: on my part though, I thought the PST II had an awl  :doh:
I'll have a closer look when I get home as to whether a SOG awl or driver grind is the better route (Assuming of course that the rest of the idea works)

This of course still gets me no nearer a decision on the Pulse  :P

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

us Online powernoodle

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #62 on: July 11, 2011, 09:08:31 PM
I had no idea that the Pulses were so spendy.  $70 - $90 on ebay, and there are only a handfull listed.

us Offline airballrad

• Gadget Addict
Reply #63 on: July 11, 2011, 09:12:35 PM
I had no idea that the Pulses were so spendy.  $70 - $90 on ebay, and there are only a handfull listed.
It takes watching; I've seen them for as little as $25, although I don't know if they were in very good shape. It doesn't seem like they come up very often. I guess supply vs. demand keeps them high.

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #64 on: July 11, 2011, 09:20:55 PM
I've sometimes wondered just how many Pulses were made, they were only in production for four years (2000-2004) and both the PST and the PST II were still in production at the same time.  Perhaps they just didn't sell that well at the time?
Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

il Offline Threeme2189

• No Life Club
  • When in doubt, use a bigger hammer.
Reply #65 on: July 11, 2011, 10:44:53 PM
I've sometimes wondered just how many Pulses were made, they were only in production for four years (2000-2004) and both the PST and the PST II were still in production at the same time.  Perhaps they just didn't sell that well at the time?

I'm sure this time around they will sell much better :D
:pok: hint :pok:
Chuck Norris' preferred iron supplement is rebar.

us Offline airballrad

• Gadget Addict
Reply #66 on: July 11, 2011, 11:29:38 PM
I bought mine in 2001 and I was flat broke. If I knew then what I know now, I'd have skipped eating for a few days and gotten two.  :rant:

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #67 on: July 13, 2011, 12:10:27 AM
I used the Pulse today, but only the pliers and only briefly ... to discover that PST parts do not readily drop into a Kick  :-\ I now have two carcasses and a big bag of bits. All is not lost though, as I have another plan  ;) (I was also expecting this to happen but had to prove it to myself) Just got to disassemble another three tools   :o :o :o

Don't worry guys the Pulse is safe - I'm keeping that in one piece in case I need to trade myself out of a tangle  :rofl: Besides, I'm hoping to get more use out of it as soon as I can get a break from these ridiculous hours at work (Not going to use it at work - it'll get wrecked)

This tool modding lark is ... educational  :P

us Offline Mercury

• Admin Team
  • Wearer of the Cloak of Band-aye-eed.
Reply #68 on: July 13, 2011, 12:14:26 AM
It takes watching; I've seen them for as little as $25, although I don't know if they were in very good shape. It doesn't seem like they come up very often. I guess supply vs. demand keeps them high.

I nabbed a pulse of ebay for $35 shipped, in mint condition.  I found a second here, from Sawman, also $30 ish shipped and in mint condition.  It's possible to find these deals, but mine were both a year ago and I have yet to see another one close to that price.

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #69 on: July 21, 2011, 09:52:28 PM
Well, I'm still not feeling any warm tingly goodness I'm afraid. I did consider modding it or robbing it for tools or generally just hacking away with a dremel to see if there was a tool hiding in there I liked, but I've decided that would be cruel to those who are trying to get their hands on one (but good for those who bought theirs as an investment I suppose  :D ).

I've had some interest already, but otherwise I think it's going to be a bargaining chip should the right "something" (no idea what) appear on the trade forums. Thanks to everyone for your comments though (and big thanks to Paul for the opportunity to try it out)

us Offline Mercury

• Admin Team
Reply #70 on: July 22, 2011, 03:33:47 AM
Well, I'm still not feeling any warm tingly goodness I'm afraid. I did consider modding it or robbing it for tools or generally just hacking away with a dremel to see if there was a tool hiding in there I liked, but I've decided that would be cruel to those who are trying to get their hands on one (but good for those who bought theirs as an investment I suppose  :D ).

I've had some interest already, but otherwise I think it's going to be a bargaining chip should the right "something" (no idea what) appear on the trade forums. Thanks to everyone for your comments though (and big thanks to Paul for the opportunity to try it out)

:o  :o  :o

:twak:

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #71 on: July 22, 2011, 06:07:12 AM
Sorry Merc, I know you're a big fan. Seems fairest to let it move on to someone who'll get more pleasure/use out of it
« Last Edit: July 22, 2011, 06:14:39 AM by 50ft-trad »

us Offline Mercury

• Admin Team
Reply #72 on: July 22, 2011, 06:25:20 AM
Sorry Merc, I know you're a big fan. Seems fairest to let it move on to someone who'll get more pleasure/use out of it

That's ok, everyone has their preferences my friend.  I know a lot of folks here love the Vic Spirit, but I honestly can't EDC one because the slippiness of the phillips and the blunt pliers just don't work for me.  It's a neat tool, but my Blast suits me far better.  The pulse is a huge historical leap for MT's, but you either love it or hate it. 

At least you didn't bash LM entirely.   :D

(I hope you realize I was mock-hitting you with a stick)

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #73 on: July 22, 2011, 07:55:16 AM

That's ok, everyone has their preferences my friend.  I know a lot of folks here love the Vic Spirit, but I honestly can't EDC one because the slippiness of the phillips and the blunt pliers just don't work for me.  It's a neat tool, but my Blast suits me far better.  The pulse is a huge historical leap for MT's, but you either love it or hate it. 

:D  To be fair I might have stuck at it longer but just got a KF4 through which (other than scissors obviously) I much prefer to the Pulse. The deciding point was I used the Pulse for the scissors and they just took a bit too much time and faffing to get out and put away for me. If I had to do that on a regular basis, I'd end up using my teeth  :rofl: I don't hate it, it's a neat tool and a step in the timeline - but it's not for me. I am a Spirit fan too  ;)

Not this time  :rofl: :rofl:

Of course mate  :tu: Just didn't want to leave a rift in the time space continuum by not replying to one of MTO's biggest advocates of the Pulse, and reassuring him it will not suffer death by Dremel :D :D :D

us Offline Mercury

• Admin Team
Reply #74 on: July 22, 2011, 08:57:52 AM

:D  To be fair I might have stuck at it longer but just got a KF4 through which (other than scissors obviously) I much prefer to the Pulse. The deciding point was I used the Pulse for the scissors and they just took a bit too much time and faffing to get out and put away for me. If I had to do that on a regular basis, I'd end up using my teeth  :rofl: I don't hate it, it's a neat tool and a step in the timeline - but it's not for me. I am a Spirit fan too  ;)

Not this time  :rofl: :rofl:

Of course mate  :tu: Just didn't want to leave a rift in the time space continuum by not replying to one of MTO's biggest advocates of the Pulse, and reassuring him it will not suffer death by Dremel :D :D :D

Whew!  No dremel death today!

:cheers:

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44