Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Not Swiss, but still quite SAK-ish!

us Offline 2xTap

• No Life Club
  • Slipjoint Fanatic!
Not Swiss, but still quite SAK-ish!
on: June 26, 2011, 04:12:57 PM
Got this one in last week. Been trying to get some of these for a while but when they pop up I had kept loosing the auctions on them. Wasn't going to spend alot for one. Snagged this one for $18.36, pretty good deal I think.

I own a few other German made SAK clones, Schrade ISC's that I really like, figured these should be of similar quality. Came new still in the packaging.........

DEGEN Model #5010

A good looking piece sitting in at 3 1/2" closed (91mm for those who prefer metric). Here's a side by side of it with one of my Vic Farmers......

Scales are some form of blue plastic with a light texture to them, and grooved, they give a good purchase in the hand. Blade/Tools are Stainless but I do not know what grade. All steel components, sans the liners, are coated in a matte Black Teflon finish.

Tool set includes Spearpoint Maniblade, Bottle Opener/Screwdriver, Can Opener, Phillipshead Screwdriver, and a Awl. It also sports a keyring. Althougjh the more traditional Tweezers and Toothpick are not found on this model/version.

It's German made over in Solingen........

Quality of F&F is pretty good. Not quite up to the ISC's but close. Can't find any gaps, good solid fit. Springs are on par with Wengers, not quite as snappy as a Vic. Blades and tools are sans any lateral play. The only faults are on the Teflon finish of the blade, a few blemishes from when the coating was applied. As well as the blade itself coming dull as a butterknife.......the edge grind wasn't finished, a V-grind that didn't make it all the way. The whole edge is flat along it's entire length. Easy fix, but it shouldn't of left the factory this way.

Overall though not bad. But definitely not a Vic or Wenger.

2xTap
Knives, Watches, and Flashlights are like Guns......you can never have too many!

gb Offline Neil

• Multitool.org Main Site Manager
  • Zombie Apprentice
Re: Not Swiss, but still quite SAK-ish!
Reply #1 on: June 26, 2011, 07:47:21 PM
That's a nice SAKalike to have in your collection.  The Richartz knives are generally of high quality and I'd have no problem carrying and using one.

However, over here they tend to cost the same as Victorinox but be harder to find  :-\
I'm not taking any more mod orders at present, sorry.

au Offline MultiMat

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • The MTO handshake.
Reply #2 on: June 27, 2011, 08:30:22 AM
For that price I would give that one a go as well  8) 8) 8).

"Downunder Mod (that sounds dirty, doesn't it?)"
Yeh Baby :P >:D >:D

us Offline 2xTap

• No Life Club
  • Slipjoint Fanatic!
Reply #3 on: June 28, 2011, 10:26:15 PM
Neil,

Most of the ones I lost out on in earlier auctions seemed to have hit prices at or above similar Vic's. Wasn't going to pay that......just got lucky with this one. Quality is pretty good though, aside from the dull blade.

MultiMat,

Yeah, that's what I was looking for. At a good price I wanted to give one a go and see how they are. Haven't really done much with my SAK collection lately (my money keeps going to more traditional slippies), figured I couldn't really go wrong here for the price.

I do need to get some more Vics and Wengers though.

2xTap
Knives, Watches, and Flashlights are like Guns......you can never have too many!

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD
39%