Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Magnetic OHT

us Offline theonew

• No Life Club
Magnetic OHT
on: June 28, 2011, 07:07:56 AM
Tonight I used my OHT to scrape off a bug I squished on my monitor and when the blade came near the glass the colors starting distorting.

Yep, definitely magnetic

Not sure when or how this happened but I'm quite sure it didn't come this way. Maybe it has something to do with sharpening on DMT plates :think:

cy Online dks

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bored
Re: Magnetic OHT
Reply #1 on: June 28, 2011, 10:31:46 AM
You will find that a lot of tools, made from mixtures containing iron (Ferromagnetic materials) come slightly magnetised, something that happens during their production, including sharpening.

However, being able to lift that clip shows that your blade is more magnetised that you would expect.

Sharpening it could have been a factor aligning the magnetic components of the blade so as to turn it into a magnet, as would exposing it to as strong, uniform (Non AC) magnetic field.

Usually, on non purpose built magnets, the magnetism fades away during use. Also hitting the blade will remove some of the magnetism (lots of spine whacks  :D ). You can also expose the blade to an AC magnetic field, if you have access to equipment of such nature.
Kelly: "Daddy, what makes men cheat on women?
Al : "Women!"

[ Knife threads ]  [ Country shopping guides ]  [ Battery-Charger-Light threads ]  [ Picture threads ]

us Offline theonew

• No Life Club
Reply #2 on: June 28, 2011, 07:00:49 PM
Doh! I'm an idiot. Forgot that after I washed it a few days ago I stuck it to a strong magnet my wife recently put above the sink. So that explains it  :-[

Now I'm curious to see how quickly the field will attenuate with time.

Hey dks, do you know of a way to generate a homemade AC magnetic field? I remember making an electromagnet as a child with a battery, wire and a nail, but that of course is low voltage DC.

cy Online dks

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bored
Reply #3 on: June 28, 2011, 08:37:22 PM
So its the wife's fault!

Really, you can generate an AC magnetic field by connecting your homemade magnet  (using the blade in the place of the nail) to an AC power supply, instead of a DC. Also all electric motors will have a weak magnetic field outside when they are working. Most motors used in the house work with AC fields.

HOWEVER, most AC power supplies at home are quite high voltage (and worst, high current)and potentially lethal. You need one with a maximum of 24 volts to be safe. (from an inverter, special transformer, a laboratory power supply...)

Recording studios used to have purpose built devices in the olden days for erasing tapes, so that is one option..., really the best option.
Kelly: "Daddy, what makes men cheat on women?
Al : "Women!"

[ Knife threads ]  [ Country shopping guides ]  [ Battery-Charger-Light threads ]  [ Picture threads ]

gb Offline Sparky415

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #4 on: June 28, 2011, 10:20:52 PM
There is a way of making one, not sure if anyone wants the details on here  :-\

Edit, I will try to find mine and experiment with it to see if it will work on a SAK first
« Last Edit: June 28, 2011, 10:23:46 PM by sparky415 »
Everything’s adjustable

Offline rockpool

Reply #5 on: June 29, 2011, 04:40:00 PM
can't you just give it a few sharp taps while pointing the blade in different directions? That always worked for me when I was a kid...

Then again, if you've seen the state of my childhood SAK, maybe it's not such a good idea.... >:D

gb Offline Sparky415

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #6 on: June 29, 2011, 09:09:54 PM
can't you just give it a few sharp taps while pointing the blade in different directions? That always worked for me when I was a kid...

Then again, if you've seen the state of my childhood SAK, maybe it's not such a good idea.... >:D

That works with screwdrivers  :tu:
Everything’s adjustable

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69