Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Whats the hook for?

us Offline Gadget Guy

• No Life Club
  • <*();::::::::;~
Re: Whats the hook for?
Reply #30 on: May 28, 2013, 04:48:11 AM
The only thing that I've ever use the hook for is as an impact device for self defense.   :D
Sometimes change is a good thing, other times not so much!

spam Offline J Mackrel Jones

Reply #31 on: May 28, 2013, 05:41:38 AM
"The hook might be good for dragging a bound hay bale out to the llama shed.   But that’s why God invented gloves."
The SAK Owner's Manual
The work takes on a life unplanned
and the painter finds the painting directs the hand

ca Offline Jothra

• No Life Club
  • Queen's Venturer
Reply #32 on: May 28, 2013, 07:27:39 AM
A list of things I've actually for real used the hook for, no fooling:

1.) Needle and thread storage (as per my earlier post)
2.) Tightening my old climbing shoes
3.) Clothes hanger (I don't know where I got this idea from, but it wasn't mine)
4.) Pulling a seriously dirty bike chain from the rear derailleur
5.) A shocking amount of miscellaneous knot tying
6.) More? Probably.

I also cut a nail nick into the side of the hook to make it easier to get out. I did so delicately. Or, rather, as delicately as one can do anything with an angle grinder.

Offline stot

Reply #33 on: May 29, 2013, 01:21:47 PM

es Offline Spanish

Reply #34 on: May 30, 2013, 08:31:32 AM
I usually use it to slide out the hot baking tray  :cheers:

us Offline ducttapetech

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over.
Reply #35 on: May 30, 2013, 01:26:58 PM
Good for stringing a baler and pulling a dutch oven out of a fire.

sent from Ducttapetech's mobile device

Nate

SEND IT!

us Offline captain spaulding

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • What's the matter, kid? Don't ya like clowns?
Reply #36 on: May 30, 2013, 05:38:47 PM
A list of things I've actually for real used the hook for, no fooling:

1.) Needle and thread storage (as per my earlier post)
2.) Tightening my old climbing shoes
3.) Clothes hanger (I don't know where I got this idea from, but it wasn't mine)
4.) Pulling a seriously dirty bike chain from the rear derailleur
5.) A shocking amount of miscellaneous knot tying
6.) More? Probably.

I also cut a nail nick into the side of the hook to make it easier to get out. I did so delicately. Or, rather, as delicately as one can do anything with an angle grinder.

Can you explain the clothes hanger use to me. If I am imagining it correctly (which i'm not) it wouldn't work.
I'm the milk man!

ca Offline Jothra

• No Life Club
  • Queen's Venturer
Reply #37 on: May 31, 2013, 01:41:29 AM
On many occasions I've  hooked it to a loop halfway up my tent fly, and used the body of the tool as a sort of hanger to keep wet clothes from sliding off. it increases the number of things I can drape on my tent. I am going to try right now to see if the same trick can be used with the clothes dangling with no tent to support some of their weight.

EDIT: Yes, but I can't imagine any situation in which you would need to use it that way.

us Offline Grail Knight

• Who Dares Wins!
Reply #38 on: May 31, 2013, 04:40:36 AM
I have used the hook to carry anything from fish strung together to rabbits during hunting season.

us Offline captain spaulding

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • What's the matter, kid? Don't ya like clowns?
Reply #39 on: June 01, 2013, 02:22:46 AM
On many occasions I've  hooked it to a loop halfway up my tent fly, and used the body of the tool as a sort of hanger to keep wet clothes from sliding off. it increases the number of things I can drape on my tent. I am going to try right now to see if the same trick can be used with the clothes dangling with no tent to support some of their weight.

EDIT: Yes, but I can't imagine any situation in which you would need to use it that way.

Ahhh.....alright that makes sense. Thanks.  :salute:
I'm the milk man!

ca Offline Jothra

• No Life Club
  • Queen's Venturer
Reply #40 on: June 01, 2013, 05:38:03 AM
Ahhh.....alright that makes sense. Thanks.  :salute:
You're welcome.

Incidentally, as hard as it may be to believe, I actually do miss having the hook on my Wenger. It's not a game changer, but I guess I just got used to having it if I needed it.

gr Offline kkokkolis

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Τετραφάρμακος
Reply #41 on: June 05, 2013, 08:59:03 AM
If you find a short enough sewimg needle (easy!), and wrap it all over with thread until you have a bundle just big enough to keep it from falling out when the hook is opened, it fits under the hook without affecting any of your tools. This has been a minor life-saver on more than one occasion.

Off topic but useful. I stopped carrying the thread and needle under the hook, because I realized that it is far better to keep a sewing kit (from a hotel) under the belt strap of my SAK's seath. I never put the seath in my belt, I only use the seath for protection. In fact I keep 2 pieces of thread (black and white), two jumbo needles (one straight and one with curved tip, useful for SAK joint cleaning on the go among other things, such as knot untying and ecig hole cleaning), three curved surgical needles (better handling in the field than the usual tiny needles) and two hansaplast strips (where is a knife there are cuts).
So my hook is free again to fulfill its many tasks.

ca Offline Jothra

• No Life Club
  • Queen's Venturer
Reply #42 on: June 06, 2013, 02:34:02 AM
Off topic but useful. I stopped carrying the thread and needle under the hook, because I realized that it is far better to keep a sewing kit (from a hotel) under the belt strap of my SAK's seath. I never put the seath in my belt, I only use the seath for protection. In fact I keep 2 pieces of thread (black and white), two jumbo needles (one straight and one with curved tip, useful for SAK joint cleaning on the go among other things, such as knot untying and ecig hole cleaning), three curved surgical needles (better handling in the field than the usual tiny needles) and two hansaplast strips (where is a knife there are cuts).
Economy of space is more or less on-topic. Nice idea with the belt loop, and way to keep the hook clear.

us Offline BradGad

Reply #43 on: June 06, 2013, 04:18:54 PM
Every day we have to fill up the waterer in our chicken coop...  a three-gallon cylinder with a wire bail handle. When filled, it weighs close to 25 pounds, and that wire handle really cuts into the hand. The hook makes the walk back to the coop from the hose *much* more comfortable.

gr Offline kkokkolis

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Τετραφάρμακος
Reply #44 on: June 06, 2013, 04:27:36 PM
Yes, it is the same with oil tins here. They weight a full 17kgr and the handle is a simple slippery wire.

Offline mikeells

Reply #45 on: June 08, 2013, 03:22:12 PM
New to the forum, and this is my first post. I carry a Champ with me everywhere, and by attaching a line to the keyring and opening the hook all the way, it becomes a decent grappling hook. For bowhunting, I have a paracord loop tied to my bow, so I can snag it and pull it up to my treestand rather than climb up a tree   carrying it.

ca Offline Jothra

• No Life Club
  • Queen's Venturer
Reply #46 on: June 08, 2013, 09:25:09 PM
New to the forum, and this is my first post. I carry a Champ with me everywhere, and by attaching a line to the keyring and opening the hook all the way, it becomes a decent grappling hook. For bowhunting, I have a paracord loop tied to my bow, so I can snag it and pull it up to my treestand rather than climb up a tree   carrying it.
That's way more exciting than the usual Hook My Dropped Keys gambit.

us Offline Kid33

Reply #47 on: June 09, 2013, 10:50:51 PM
Hi gang,
           I know it has been mentioned multiple times already in this thread, but here is a Pen/ Parcel Hook video demonstration.

A wise man speaks few words

ca Offline Jothra

• No Life Club
  • Queen's Venturer
Reply #48 on: June 10, 2013, 12:26:19 AM
I saw some pictures...was it on SOSAK?..of a hook with a sharpened side for firesteel striking.

Ah, it was on SOSAK, written by Tom Whisenhunt, but I don't think it's made it over to Swiss Army Knights yet. Here's the (unfortunately) picture-free Wayback Machine version:
http://web.archive.org/web/20090213080650/http://www.sosakonline.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=415&Itemid=35

A small section of the hook was ground to a 45 degree angle, or close to it, so the newly sharpened edge could be used on ferro rods, saving the main blade for other pursuits. Reportedly, it worked well.

My Google Image-Fu is usually pretty strong, but I can't find this one. Sorry.

Offline Aped38

Reply #49 on: June 12, 2013, 09:52:11 PM
What a good thread. I didn't know there were so many uses for the hook. No wonder Victorinox continues to include them in the tool selection.

ca Offline Jothra

• No Life Club
  • Queen's Venturer
Reply #50 on: August 27, 2013, 02:07:49 AM
firiki suggested I list the uses I've recently found for the hook here. Why not? I'm not going to show all the pictures here, but I will throw in links to the relevant posts.

I used it for tightening my workboots here.
One time it yanked tie wire from anchor bolts.
This is sort of like cross-stitch, I guess? I dunno. Arts and crafts, anyway.
Here's a hook cleaning garbage wood from a notch cut into some plywood.
Bend those nails! Well, okay, the hook never bent any nails. They were deck screws.
Removing tie wire from some rebar nearly turned out poorly. This twisted my hook a little, but it got the job done, and I fixed the hook.
Keeping my hands clean while removing a bike chain, and using the hook as a bit driver for Leatherman flat-bits (thanks for the tip, Xelkos!)

Also, yesterday I used the hook to get under and remove the rubber band thing holding my old bike bell on. I replaced it with a smaller bell.

pt Offline pfrsantos

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Oxygen and magnesium toghether?! OMg!
Reply #51 on: August 27, 2013, 12:14:21 PM
I have used my hook to hold onto a plastic shopping bag - the SAK makes a comfortable handle.

This is my main use, also. The tip about using it as a coat hanger is very good. I've heard people calling this a "useless" tool for ages but I always liked it and gave it plenty of use.
 :tu:

I don't have OCD, I have OCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ.

I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous.

Eff the ineffable, scrut the inscrutable.

IYCRTYSWTMTFOT

pt Offline pfrsantos

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #52 on: August 27, 2013, 12:17:39 PM
I saw some pictures...was it on SOSAK?..of a hook with a sharpened side for firesteel striking.

Ah, it was on SOSAK, written by Tom Whisenhunt, but I don't think it's made it over to Swiss Army Knights yet. Here's the (unfortunately) picture-free Wayback Machine version:
http://web.archive.org/web/20090213080650/http://www.sosakonline.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=415&Itemid=35

A small section of the hook was ground to a 45 degree angle, or close to it, so the newly sharpened edge could be used on ferro rods, saving the main blade for other pursuits. Reportedly, it worked well.

My Google Image-Fu is usually pretty strong, but I can't find this one. Sorry.
There's plenty of edges on a SAK you can use to strike a ferro rod without having to mod any of it. I'd sugest try this before starting grindind the hook, one slip of the hand and you might damage it.
(I'm thinking about my own skills or lack there of...)
 :D

IYCRTYSWTMTFOT

pt Offline pfrsantos

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #53 on: August 27, 2013, 12:39:04 PM
If you find a short enough sewimg needle (easy!), and wrap it all over with thread until you have a bundle just big enough to keep it from falling out when the hook is opened, it fits under the hook without affecting any of your tools. This has been a minor life-saver on more than one occasion.

I have a couple of SAKs with the corkscrew. In these models, the scale beneath the corkscrew has a little hole. In the Compact, it comes with a pin inserted. In other models, you can put a needle inside with some thread wrapped around its end (creating sort of a pin-head). It gives you a safe way of transporting it, it's harder to lose than just having the same needle under the hook.

IYCRTYSWTMTFOT

ca Offline Jothra

• No Life Club
  • Queen's Venturer
Reply #54 on: August 27, 2013, 03:05:04 PM
I have a couple of SAKs with the corkscrew. In these models, the scale beneath the corkscrew has a little hole. In the Compact, it comes with a pin inserted. In other models, you can put a needle inside with some thread wrapped around its end (creating sort of a pin-head). It gives you a safe way of transporting it, it's harder to lose than just having the same needle under the hook.

If you wrap the right amount of thread, the needle won't fall out, and you get both a needle and thread and a straight pin.  I like having both. I also can't usually easily remove a needle and thread from under an open hook even by turning the whole tool upside-down and shaking it. Instead, I'll have to pry an end out with the toothpick or tweezers (or the straight pin!) The only thing to remember is to stop wrapping thread before you add too much bulk for the hook to close properly.

pt Offline pfrsantos

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #55 on: August 27, 2013, 03:38:37 PM
Nice point. I'll have to try it out.
 :tu:

IYCRTYSWTMTFOT

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
Reply #56 on: August 27, 2013, 06:51:52 PM

If you wrap the right amount of thread, the needle won't fall out, and you get both a needle and thread and a straight pin.  I like having both. I also can't usually easily remove a needle and thread from under an open hook even by turning the whole tool upside-down and shaking it. Instead, I'll have to pry an end out with the toothpick or tweezers (or the straight pin!) The only thing to remember is to stop wrapping thread before you add too much bulk for the hook to close properly.

Which all seems fine until you actually use it, and then there's not enough thread to hold it in again afterwards :pok: :D :D

Just being an arse  ;)

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

ca Offline Jothra

• No Life Club
  • Queen's Venturer
Reply #57 on: August 28, 2013, 04:40:44 AM
Which all seems fine until you actually use it, and then there's not enough thread to hold it in again afterwards :pok: :D :D

Just being an arse  ;)

That is absolutely true (the pin part, not the arse part)—but when you have five minutes to sew the back of your pants up before recess is over, you don't stop to worry about how well your needle fits under your hook. Well, I didn't. That class still talks about it, and I haven't seen them in a year.

Like most weird SAK tricks, it's really the world's most opinioney opinion call. My SAK also has a small firesteel, tinder, a sharpening rod, and several glasses screws secreted throughout. I may be a tad biased about cramming stuff into weird places in SAKs.

spam Offline comis

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #58 on: August 28, 2013, 09:29:05 AM
My SAK also has a small firesteel, tinder, a sharpening rod, and several glasses screws secreted throughout. I may be a tad biased about cramming stuff into weird places in SAKs.

Jothra,

Would you mind sharing a quick picture of the SAK that has the firesteel attached?  Is it similar to the one that was made by SwissBianco sometime ago?  :pok:

In light of firesteel and SAK/MT, I did put out a video about that just a day or two ago.  :)
http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,46954.0.html

pt Offline pfrsantos

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #59 on: August 28, 2013, 12:34:03 PM
I was thinking about this problem and had an idea. Must try it to see if it works, though. Get a thin plastic straw and cut it to fit under the hook. Put the threaded needle inside. f you use the thread, you still have the same bulk from the straw, it won't fall out so easily.
What do you think?

IYCRTYSWTMTFOT

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD