Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

My new project fixed blade

hig789 · 30 · 3925

us Offline hig789

on: September 17, 2011, 04:59:58 AM
I finally got my piece of steel for my first homemade knife today. A 12"x1 1/4"x 3/16" piece of D2 tool steel. I couldn't wait to get started since I have been off work all week. I modeled the blade geometry after a Gerber LMF 2. I got most of the excess material removed today, still have some work to do where the blade turns up to the tip and at the butt of the handle.  Anyways it ended up being about 8" long with the blade being just under 4". I have done almost all this work with various files, no grinders. The only parts I used a cut-off wheel on was, cutting the length and the corner where the blade turns up. This is going to end up being  a beefy blade. Enjoy.

Here's today's progress.

gb Offline Sparky415

• Zombie Apprentice
Re: My new project fixed blade
Reply #1 on: September 17, 2011, 09:55:51 AM
I will be watching this with interest  :tu:

And I'm very impressed you are not using a grinder  :o

:cheers:
Everything’s adjustable

us Offline hig789

Reply #2 on: September 18, 2011, 04:50:40 AM
I am on nights right now at work so I didn't get too much done on the blade today. But I did get blade and handle profile the way I wanted it, and also it is cut to the proper length. Over the next couple of days I am going to start on the bevels on the blade. I have been playing around with different ones(see permeant marker on blade in pic), I am torn between a single bevel on the bottom or a smaller and shorter bevel to go with the bottom one. I have included a picture of my Nitrous Stryker blade because this will be the look I am going for if I decided to go with 2 bevels.
Here's the work from today.

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #3 on: September 18, 2011, 02:29:50 PM
Wow, D2 is some tough stuff. :salute: Doing the bevel with just a file will allow you to 'sneak up' on the final shape and not go too far, but your arms will be sore before you're done. :D 
In order to be certain of having the right tool for every job.........one must first acquire a lot of tools

us Offline hig789

Reply #4 on: September 18, 2011, 03:39:10 PM
It's nothing a good sharp file can't handle. I got all the time in the world. It hasn't been tempered(hardened) yet so it's not that bad. 

Like you said I will be able to get the perfect bevel on it. There's just something about filing that intrigues me, I'm sure a few knives down the road I'll break the grinders out.

us Offline bushidomosquito

Reply #5 on: September 18, 2011, 05:18:55 PM
Looks like you're off to a good start. Do you plan on using one of these types of setups?

My Method for Cheap and Easy Scandi Grinding
Sent from my Glock 23 using Doubletaptalk

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #6 on: September 18, 2011, 05:30:10 PM
I'm looking forward to seeing this hig. :cheers:
Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

il Offline Threeme2189

• No Life Club
  • When in doubt, use a bigger hammer.
Reply #7 on: September 18, 2011, 11:12:57 PM
Me thinks this will be an interesting project :)
Chuck Norris' preferred iron supplement is rebar.

us Offline hig789

Reply #8 on: September 19, 2011, 12:52:11 AM
Looks like you're off to a good start. Do you plan on using one of these types of setups?

My Method for Cheap and Easy Scandi Grinding

Yeah I am looking for a simple design that will fit in my small vice or on my small work bench. I guess you could call this a bush knife, cause it's going to be more apt to chopping than anything. 
« Last Edit: September 19, 2011, 12:54:11 AM by hig789 »

us Offline hig789

Reply #9 on: September 20, 2011, 03:24:57 AM
Well started on the bevel today and got almost to my scribes lines before I had to leave for work. I didn't end up using a filing jig, I just took some drywall screws and screwed it to a 2x4 and  decided to go for it and free hand it. I feel like it's going pretty good for my first time, I'll still have to do some touch up work on the shoulder(don't know the technical term for this) at the beginning of the bevel. I bought a new Craftsman double cut file the other day and it really surprised me how fast it removes material, and the kicker is when it gets dull just take it back and they will replace it with a new one.  I read on another forum to use some sort of chalk on the file after you clean it and it will keep it from loading up as fast. I used soapstone I acquired at work and let me tell you it works like a charm the file hardly holds any shavings at all. I have decided to make a larger bevel on the bottom since my last post, to make it easier to sharpen. I have not decided yet if I am going to bevel the spine or not. I hope to finish the bevels tomorrow and add some jimping to the spine just forward of the scales. Here's a picture of today's work. Let me know what you think or any tips you have.

Reply #10 on: September 20, 2011, 04:10:33 AM
Hell man, I can't even file a blade like that freehand. I have to make jigs and guides for everything I do. You must have a knack for it.  :tu:

us Offline Smitty44

• No Life Club
Reply #11 on: September 20, 2011, 06:02:42 AM
Looks like the start of a good skinner,please keep us posted. :salute:

us Offline hig789

Reply #12 on: September 20, 2011, 06:10:19 AM
I spent about 10 years as a tool and die maker, guess that probably helps, made me kind of OCD on details.

I think it's going to end up with some G10 scales, the ones on my BM that has been EDCed for the past three years still look brand new. Anyone have any info on working with G10? About all I know is you gotta wear a mask cause it's glass based. Will a dremel be fine for grooving an general shaping? What kind of  bit? Thanks for the kind replies.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2011, 06:15:10 AM by hig789 »

ca Offline Metropolicity

• No Life Club
  • Hack Virtuoso
Reply #13 on: September 20, 2011, 06:58:59 AM
I spent about 10 years as a tool and die maker, guess that probably helps, made me kind of OCD on details.

I think it's going to end up with some G10 scales, the ones on my BM that has been EDCed for the past three years still look brand new. Anyone have any info on working with G10? About all I know is you gotta wear a mask cause it's glass based. Will a dremel be fine for grooving an general shaping? What kind of  bit? Thanks for the kind replies.

Bushido will have to chime in on this one.
Why stop now?

Visit the whole Skinth family here: http://www.skinthsolutions.com

Keep up with The Skinths on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/SkinthSolutions

Shapeways - Metro's Q-branch:
http://www.shapeways.com/shops/metro-qbranch

PayPal: metrogradegoods [at} gmail. com

us Offline hig789

Reply #14 on: September 20, 2011, 09:39:03 AM
Yeah I had already sent him a PM after doing a search for G10 and his name is on about every thread.

gb Offline Sparky415

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #15 on: September 20, 2011, 12:21:26 PM
If its similar to working on Micarta wood working tools will work (I think it is but have never worked on any myself)
I find the little Dremel sanding drums work very well  :salute:
As you said use a mask  :tu:

Still watching with interest  :cheers:
Everything’s adjustable

us Offline hig789

Reply #16 on: September 20, 2011, 09:23:02 PM
I almost have one bevel done. Will post pictures later.

us Offline hig789

Reply #17 on: September 21, 2011, 12:57:30 AM
Didn't get to finish the bevel cause had to go run errands with the wife. It's close. Got some scratches above my scribed line but I'll take care of those later.  But here's a picture.

us Offline hig789

Reply #18 on: September 21, 2011, 06:24:08 PM
http://www.usaknifemaker.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=95_36&products_id=2726

How about these scales? Or if anyone knows where I can get some medium texture black Peel Ply G10 in the same size let me know. I have searched and searched and all I can find is 1/8" or 1/4" in coarse.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2011, 06:26:03 PM by hig789 »

Reply #19 on: September 21, 2011, 07:20:07 PM
I've only found medium in orange but the coarse isn't all that coarse. You can sand the texture down a bit to make it less aggressive. Another option would be to epoxy bond the 1/8" black medium texture  to another color for a two tone look of even use smooth 1/8" black to double the thickness. 

us Offline hig789

Reply #20 on: September 21, 2011, 08:09:30 PM
I've only found medium in orange but the coarse isn't all that coarse. You can sand the texture down a bit to make it less aggressive. Another option would be to epoxy bond the 1/8" black medium texture  to another color for a two tone look of even use smooth 1/8" black to double the thickness. 

nice! I didn't think about that I might just get an 1/8" grey and 1/8" of black peel ply.

us Offline hig789

Reply #21 on: September 22, 2011, 02:42:51 AM
Here it is with the bevel finished except for a gouge on the bottom of the blade(see picture) and sanded with 80 grit. I think the gouge will come out, i cant even nick it with my fingernail, there's still have a few file marks on it so maybe it will come out with sand paper. I decided to do a soft(rounded off) plunge line because I had a few slip ups with the file that left that left marks in it.

us Offline evil510

• Envision. Create. Innovate.
Reply #22 on: September 22, 2011, 03:42:41 AM
Your knife is turning out very well. What type of finish do you plan to put on it? I just finished a D2 blade for my LM Juice project. Just as with all other things I have made out of this metal, it took some doing to get a decent polish on it.....

~ evil ~

Sent from my Evil Android via Tapatalk Pro
« Last Edit: September 22, 2011, 03:45:56 AM by evil510 »
CURRENT PROJECTS:
Evil's Urban Trekker (on hold)
Shear Evil (on hold)
The Evil Incarnate (a work in progress)

UPDATES:
Evil's Quad Strop Mini introduced.....
Evil's Pocket Octo-Driver introduced.....
Brute Driver HD - COMPLETE

LATEST NEWS:

us Offline hig789

Reply #23 on: September 22, 2011, 06:19:57 PM
Your knife is turning out very well. What type of finish do you plan to put on it? I just finished a D2 blade for my LM Juice project. Just as with all other things I have made out of this metal, it took some doing to get a decent polish on it.....

~ evil ~

Sent from my Evil Android via Tapatalk Pro

Probably close to what it is like in the picture. I just want a dull finish. Thanks for the encouraging words guys. I finished the bevel yesterday and got all file marks out and got it sanded down to 340 grit. there is still a mark on the blade near the handle where I went to deep with my first groove in it with the file but I am going to put a "choil", I believe that's what it's called, the rounded cutout  for the blade to be sharpened down. Now it's time to start on the other side. I just bought my scales for it, ended up just going with the standard black in 1/8". I would like to attach them with some type of screw, not epoxy, so I can remove them and change them out if I'm not happy with them. I have been searching a way to do this but can't find the right screw. Anyone help me out and point me in the right direction. I will update progress later.

Reply #24 on: September 22, 2011, 07:07:42 PM
http://www.usaknifemaker.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=30&products_id=102

Drill through the blade and scales with 1/4" bit, trim barrel pin to the proper length, insert pin, screw scales on from both sides. I've ordered lots of these and the finish is much better than the pictures show.

You may want to consider a few specks of epoxy under the scales to keep them from shifting around. You'll still be able to lift them off with a razor blade.

us Offline hig789

Reply #25 on: September 22, 2011, 08:48:16 PM
yeah I looked at those earlier but it confused me cause it said that they were for folders. I had to cheat on the bevel on the other side. I used a 4 1/2" grinder with a sand paper flap disc, it has taken me about a quarter of the time that it did on the other side.

us Offline hig789

Reply #26 on: September 23, 2011, 05:23:50 AM
Here's the bevel on the other side. As I said earlier I had to cheat on this side, too thick for to just use a file. I can already tell my filing skills are better because I could have had a nice sharp plunge line on this side but I wanted it to match the other so I kinda rounded it off. Right now it's only sanded with 80 grit to get the file marks out. My edge is about 1/16" thick right now, is that too thick to finish after HT? I need to find a better way to hold the blade done when I'm working on it cause the dry wall screws ate into the edges and I had to refinish them.  The bar clamp I have won't hold it when filing, I know I could just get some C clamps but I would rather make me a fixture of some sort that's low profile and will hold multiple thickness blades.  Any ideas? I am already planning on making my dad and brother skinning knives for Christmas out of some 1/8" D2 I ordered today with my scales. I have to work days this weekend so no more progress till at least Monday.

« Last Edit: September 23, 2011, 05:25:23 AM by hig789 »

Reply #27 on: September 23, 2011, 06:40:15 AM
Most knife makers leave .030" which is 1/32" on the edge for heat treat depending on the final bevel on the blade. Looks great for a first attempt.

gb Offline Sparky415

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #28 on: September 23, 2011, 11:17:41 AM
Here's the bevel on the other side. As I said earlier I had to cheat on this side, too thick for to just use a file. I can already tell my filing skills are better because I could have had a nice sharp plunge line on this side but I wanted it to match the other so I kinda rounded it off. Right now it's only sanded with 80 grit to get the file marks out. My edge is about 1/16" thick right now, is that too thick to finish after HT? I need to find a better way to hold the blade done when I'm working on it cause the dry wall screws ate into the edges and I had to refinish them.  The bar clamp I have won't hold it when filing, I know I could just get some C clamps but I would rather make me a fixture of some sort that's low profile and will hold multiple thickness blades.  Any ideas? I am already planning on making my dad and brother skinning knives for Christmas out of some 1/8" D2 I ordered today with my scales. I have to work days this weekend so no more progress till at least Monday.

Looking good Hig  :tu:

Can you drill the holes for the scales then put screws through the handle in to a bit of wood  :think:
Everything’s adjustable

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #29 on: September 23, 2011, 07:03:48 PM
That's really starting to take shape hig. :tu:
Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD
39%