Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

A gift from my Brother ...

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
on: July 10, 2011, 06:32:47 PM
My Brother is a big (literally) softie who tries to help everyone, one of life’s gentle souls. Occasionally he’ll gift me a knife or tool accompanied by the words “I thought this would be something you’d appreciate”. I always appreciate the gesture, but let’s just say I wouldn’t make the same shopping decisions (or many other decisions for that matter) as he does, bless him.

I helped him out when he was in a bit of a pickle a couple of weeks ago (as you do), and as a thank you he handed me a multitool he’d picked up for me. The sheath said nothing, which in turn said a lot. It said “brace yourself Al, he’s done it again”

It was a pliers based tool, of unknown manufacturer, with a glaringly obvious standard of manufacture which would have most of us seething that they’d paid good money for it, or giggling and jovially mocking someone else who did. Let’s have a quick look at the forging (?) of the Phillips driver, and the tangs of the individual tools

Now when you’ve all finished giggling and jovially mocking me, there are actually a few things about this which make it just a little different to the run of the mill “low labour cost” multitools out there. The first thing that struck me – even before the quality aspects was the inclusion of a corkscrew. This was quickly followed by the fact that all tools are outboard – no opening the tool up to go fishing around, everything is just sat there waiting.to go.

The tool is branded Silverstone (as in the racetrack), and this is/was obviously one of their promo items or souvenirs. (I think dks reviewed a similar tool branded Bahco, but I couldn't find the review)

Tools include a plain edged clip blade, the edge of which was better than often encountered on “budget” multitools in my experience, but not great, and an aggressively serrated sheepsfoot blade. The serrations are heavily burred on the inside, but once dressed would be quite effective though a little unrefined in performance I’d imagine. The file is the industry standard cross cut one side, single cut the other with “saw” along the bottom edge. I haven’t tried to file anything substantial to test the hardness yet, but it’s harder than one of my fingernails so that’s a good start. The remaining tools include a combo can/bottle opener, a medium flat driver (5mm), an awl with the world’s worst attempt at a nail nick, the Phillips carbuncle highlighted earlier and a 1.5mm flat driver.

Clumping comes as standard, in fact if clumping was an Olympic sport we’d have a medal winner right here. The only thing that detracts from the clumping (or possible even makes you grateful) is how difficult these tools are to get out. Possible over tightening of the handles combined with, shockingly bad grinds at the end to ride the back spring (plus the faces are probably not square/parallel) make it a real endeavor to extract some of these tools. Thankfully the hardest to do this with is the one you’d need to extract least – the world’s ugliest lanyard hole.

As for the pliers, these are quite definitely not heavy duty but I’d certainly attempt anything with these that I’d attempt with a Juice. I might regret it – but I’d attempt it. They’re quite smooth in operation, and should be capable of opening twice as wide as they currently do if I’d take the time to iron out a couple of minor (but prohibitive) speed bumps on the outside edge of the pliers hub with a diamond file. Actually, might not need to be diamond thinking about it.

So there you have it, with a metric scale on the opposite side to the corkscrew (they’re those numbers on a rule that confuse Americans  :P ), that pretty much sums it up, and you know what ... I quite like it actually. This could have been a very good tool for the money (free) and it seems that sufficient thought was there even if the craftsmanship wasn’t. With a little bit (huge ammount) of tidying up this could actually make a carryable tool for occasions where you’re not having to count on your multitool for your life or livelihood. It’s different, it’s got outboard tools, its UK legal, it’s got a corkscrew, AND it’s a gift from my Brother. It’s a keeper!

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

us Offline turnsouth

• No Life Club
  • There is no spoon
Re: A gift from my Brother ...
Reply #1 on: July 10, 2011, 08:05:57 PM
It’s different, it’s got outboard tools, its UK legal, it’s got a corkscrew, AND it’s a gift from my Brother. It’s a keeper!
:tu: :tu:
Never underestimate the power of the fleece

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Armed with camera and not afraid to use it.
Reply #2 on: July 10, 2011, 09:11:52 PM
I have one similar, except mine says Schrade Tough around the plier pivot, and there are scales on both handle sides. Oh, and on the side of the corkscrew, there is a bit adapter instead of the two flats yours seems to have.

No side to side motion in my copy, and the quality is rather good for what it is.

EDIT: I forgot to say that gifts from family are always keepers.  :D  :salute:
« Last Edit: July 10, 2011, 09:13:45 PM by Chako »
A little Leatherman information.

Leatherman series articles

us Offline Crouton

• No Life Club
  • "Live long and ..useful."
Reply #3 on: July 10, 2011, 11:38:42 PM
You just have to love the thought behind this one.  I have several like it that I must keep because they were gifts.

Yours reminds me of this one http://www.aliexpress.com/product-fm/306009191-multi-tools-power-plier-multi-functional-tools-Free-Shipping-wholesalers.html but the one in the lin has a fold over bottle opener and reminds me a bit of a flair.

Thanks for sharing.
:)

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #4 on: July 11, 2011, 12:14:48 AM
Cheers folks  :salute:

Yeah, gifts are keepers, but I'm pretty sure I'm allowed to get the Dremel out to make a few refinements  >:D

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #5 on: July 11, 2011, 01:35:33 AM

Yeah, gifts are keepers, but I'm pretty sure I'm allowed to get the Dremel out to make a few refinements  >:D

I just checked the rulebook - you're good to go! :tu: :D
In order to be certain of having the right tool for every job.........one must first acquire a lot of tools

spam Offline scrappy

• Turd Bucket
  • No Life Club
Reply #6 on: July 11, 2011, 05:50:32 AM
I heat ya, I have even carried tools just because they are gifts.
I have the schrade and bahco and both are decent

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #7 on: July 11, 2011, 06:58:26 AM

I just checked the rulebook - you're good to go! :tu: :D

:D :D

I heat ya, I have even carried tools just because they are gifts.
I have the schrade and bahco and both are decent

I'd like to get this into a state where it could be carried. I even thought about grabbing one of the Bahco versions and maybe even just swapping the tools straight over if the Bahco is better

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #8 on: July 13, 2011, 02:02:17 AM
Great bit of entertaining write-up by the way Al! :D :D You've got the gift. :salute: :D

"Thankfully the hardest to do this with is the one you’d need to extract least – the world’s ugliest lanyard hole."  -  :D

"Clumping comes as standard, in fact if clumping was an Olympic sport we’d have a medal winner right here."   -  :D :D

"I haven’t tried to file anything substantial to test the hardness yet, but it’s harder than one of my fingernails so that’s a good start."  -  :D :D :D

In order to be certain of having the right tool for every job.........one must first acquire a lot of tools

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #9 on: July 13, 2011, 08:08:05 AM
Great bit of entertaining write-up by the way Al! :D :D You've got the gift. :salute: :D

"Thankfully the hardest to do this with is the one you’d need to extract least – the world’s ugliest lanyard hole."  -  :D

"Clumping comes as standard, in fact if clumping was an Olympic sport we’d have a medal winner right here."   -  :D :D

"I haven’t tried to file anything substantial to test the hardness yet, but it’s harder than one of my fingernails so that’s a good start."  -  :D :D :D
:D :salute:

gb Offline Zed

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #10 on: July 13, 2011, 09:54:37 AM
Nothing wrong with that Al, nice gesture and another MT for the collection  :tu:

ca Offline Beerplumber

• No Life Club
Reply #11 on: September 16, 2011, 08:19:49 AM
I know this thread is a little old but holy hilarious!  I remember a bike mag I used to read and they would do fun comparisons like a Honda CBR vs a Toyota corola or the one I really liked was a KTM vs "a stick in the eye"

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #12 on: September 16, 2011, 10:05:43 AM
 :D Cheers  :cheers:

This one is currently in bits at the moment as I try to figure out how best to get some scissors incorporated into it. Since I did this overview I actually got a Bahco branded one - very similar but with sprung plier heads. The tangs are also ground a little better, so I might do a bit of mix and match to get this one (the Silverstone) as good as possible
« Last Edit: September 16, 2011, 10:08:22 AM by 50ft-trad »

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62
Net Balance: $360.24
Above Goal: $60.24