Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

GEC Wharncliffe Lockback.

us Offline 2xTap

• No Life Club
  • Slipjoint Fanatic!
GEC Wharncliffe Lockback.
on: July 11, 2011, 12:47:22 AM
Got this one about a week ago. Been waiting for Great Eastern to make this pattern and blade configuration in 440-C for a while. As soon as they came out I was all over it!

This is the #72 Scout Lockback, similar to GEC's #73 and #23 slipjoints. Same pattern design but sits in between these two in size and is a lockback. Mine is the Model #720111........

It sits in at 3 7/8" closed. Bolsters and shield are nickle/silver, liners and pins are brass, and the Wharncliffe blade is flat ground mirror polished 440-C stainless steel. Scales are jigged Ruby Red Bone.

It's a barehead version with a grommeted lanyard hole. Fit and finish is pretty much what I have come to expect from GEC aside from one small area. This is the first GEC I have ever gotten that had a gap of any kind. Between the mark side liner and the lockbar is a faint hairline gap. Barely noticable, but on a GEC any gap no matter how faint will be seen because they usually come so tight. It's tiny and doesn't affect anything though......

.......outside of that it's a rock solid GEC. Lockbar locks the blade up solid as a bank vault, zero blade play, clean polish throughout, perfect blade grinds, usably sharp edge, and gap free everywhere else. And as you can see from the pic above it is a slim pattern. It would make for a great EDC locker, very pocket friendly.

And for size reference here it is between two of it's kin, a GEC #73 above it and a GEC #23 below......

It's just a hair longer than the #73 which sits in at 3 3/4" closed. The #23's are 4 1/2". I do believe I might have to spring for the Elk Stag version of this one as well.

2xTap
Knives, Watches, and Flashlights are like Guns......you can never have too many!

00 Offline Dtrain

• "Southbound Whatchya Leave Behind Ya?"
Re: GEC Wharncliffe Lockback.
Reply #1 on: July 11, 2011, 03:14:05 PM
I am going to their Open House this Year...I so want to pick up a traditional Pocket Knife to Carry along with my SAK's...Do you think this One will be available at the Company Store?
"It seemed Like a Good Idea at the Time"

us Offline 2xTap

• No Life Club
  • Slipjoint Fanatic!
Reply #2 on: July 11, 2011, 11:16:19 PM
Dtrain,

Can't say as I would know if it will be available there. Just depends how hot of a seller these are. I know the previous one to this, a Clip blade version in Red Wine Bone, has been selling out at places. But GEC makes so many sweet knives that if there ain't one of these Lockbacks there you'll definitely find something else.

2xTap
Knives, Watches, and Flashlights are like Guns......you can never have too many!

00 Offline Dtrain

• "Southbound Whatchya Leave Behind Ya?"
Reply #3 on: July 30, 2011, 02:02:14 AM
Do you know what time they open in the AM..Staying in a Caboose Tonite with the Wifey and Kiddos!

Dtrain
"It seemed Like a Good Idea at the Time"

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69