Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

All about Swisstools

Dunc · 8 · 4516

england Offline Dunc

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Aggressive in defence
All about Swisstools
on: October 28, 2006, 10:18:45 AM
If its OK with Def I thought I would start a thread about the mighty Swisstool . I wont spout on a load of facts about it right now but see has this thread evovles .Perhaps any questions can be answered in here and good and bad points can be disscussed .Later when I have more time ( unless someone else would like to do it ) I will write of the differences in the three main models .

Dunc

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Re: All about Swisstools
Reply #1 on: October 28, 2006, 11:43:12 AM
With the runaway success of the SwissTool and all it's variants, I think this is a great idea.

I remember initially seeing the SwissTool and thinking that it seemed awfully large, expensive and bulky, but at the time the only other tools I had were a LM PST II and a Micra.  I was already well versed in Victorinox quality so I knew it was well worth the price tag.

Of course now, compared to some of the other high end or heavy duty tools, the SwissTool is a downright bargain!

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

Offline Travis Autry

Reply #2 on: October 28, 2006, 04:22:17 PM
I have nothing but praise for the SwissTool.

While I have not tried every other available model, I haven't seen anything to convince me that the SwissTool is anything less than the finest multitool line available.

I have an Original and an X.  I EDC one or the other 7 days per week.  I have used them both extensively.  Some of my use, as an impromteu hammer, certainly qualifies as abuse.  Both my SwissTools have taken that and more without a hitch.  They function as well or better than they did when brand new.

I am always mystifed by the comments on the weight of the SwissTool.  I'm not a large guy, but I don't find the weight or size to be an issue.  If it wasn't for the weight and solid construction, the SwissTool wouldn't be the tool it is. 

Yeah, I am a big fan of the SwissTool.  It is one heck of a cuttin', plierin', screwdrivin', wire cuttin', filin', pryin', sawin', scissorin'(depending on model), can openin', bottle openin', wire strippin', measurin', scrapin', awlin' toolbox in a pouch!

Offline Tom Munch

• No Life Club
Reply #3 on: October 28, 2006, 05:15:28 PM
I love my Swisstool X & Spirit S, but I've always been bothered that the screwdrivers aren't milled quite as precisely as the LM's, & there is no eyeglass screwdriver.  The fit & finish & the fine feeling they give me in hand is second to none though.

england Offline Dunc

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Aggressive in defence
Reply #4 on: November 18, 2006, 08:18:12 AM
Just a bit of useless infomation  ::) Just been reading the Victorinox Catalog and found out that the RS ( as used for the Swisstool ) doesnt stand for Rescue and survival but its 'Rescue and Security ' . There you can all sleep better for knowing that .

Dunc

england Offline Dunc

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Aggressive in defence
Reply #5 on: November 25, 2006, 10:27:41 AM
For anyone who is considering getting a Swisstool or wants to learn a bit more about them a good place to start is the excellent review over at equipped to survive http://www.equipped.org/swisstoo.htm   It only covers the std swisstool but its a good read .

Dunc

us Offline carl

Reply #6 on: October 27, 2021, 05:23:52 AM
My 2006 Swisstool (one of the last with red label on scales) had a plier with some side play/looseness of the plier pivot.  Was this 'normal' for this model?  Have the newer versions been improved upon in this regard?   

us Offline hsherzfeld

Reply #7 on: October 28, 2021, 11:59:45 PM
My 2006 Swisstool (one of the last with red label on scales) had a plier with some side play/looseness of the plier pivot.  Was this 'normal' for this model?  Have the newer versions been improved upon in this regard?
My 2019/20 SwissTool has a bit of play in the plier pivot as well.
Current SAKs: Explorer, SwissChamp, Handyman (modded), Climber, Super Tinker, Tinker, Woodsman (modded), Electrician, Pioneer, SwissTool, Executive, Ambassador, Champion Plus
Current Leatherman tools: PST, Original Wave, Wave, Wave+, Blast, Bond, Curl, Style PS, Micra

Boomer Sooner!

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62
Net Balance: $360.24
Above Goal: $60.24
Site Currency: USD