Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

A new Axe

Sean · 6 · 2615

ca Offline Sean

• No Life Club
A new Axe
on: July 15, 2011, 05:14:57 PM
It's been years since I bought an axe.  As a matter of fact I think I've only ever bought one in my
life and it's been with me ever since up until recently when I had it go missing on a loan to
someone near and dear to my heart.  But that's another story.

I had the day off yesterday so we decided to get a few things done appt's, etc.  We are
preparing to go out camping the end of this month and I figured on replacing the axe for
obvious reasons.

I found this forum helpful, perusing through it (still not done) and found locally I've some options
with the Cold Steel lineup of Tomahawks, and hatchets, available as well as Gransfors and Bruks,
from Lee Valley being in stock.  We even have some llitis Oxhead units at a local logging supply
chain. 

I almost overlooked Canadian Tire though and they stock the Fiskars brand of axe.  So, in the
end I decided a good inexpensive place to start would be with one of those.  After reading some
reports on these axes they are pretty well received by some users.
I ended up with the X11 (newer style) apparently which has a 17 inch handle and a bit of a
compromise of splitting capability and slice?  Haven't used it yet but was just wondering how if
any of you have a Fiskars brand of axe how your getting on with it?  :)
« Last Edit: July 15, 2011, 05:47:56 PM by Sean »

us Offline bushidomosquito

Re: A new Axe
Reply #1 on: July 17, 2011, 12:19:59 AM
I think it's the best axe you can get for around $30. I'd go so far as to say that it's one of the best performing tools I have ever bought. I put a convex edge on mine with a fine diamond stone and 600 grit sandpaper and it will go through 2" branches with ease. I liked how well it cut so much that I decided to make it my backpack axe and gave it a kydex sheath and a orange rubber grip treatment. Now i'm trying to figure out what useful things to stash in the hollow handle.

Sent from my Glock 23 using Doubletaptalk

ca Offline Sean

• No Life Club
Reply #2 on: July 17, 2011, 01:15:13 AM
Nice axe and sheath!  I like what you've done with the kydex and wrap, makes for easy removal?
I think I might do something with the edge as well like smooth it out.  I just wanted to make sure
I was happy with it before doing any modifications.

us Offline bushidomosquito

Reply #3 on: July 18, 2011, 07:34:43 PM
Nice axe and sheath!  I like what you've done with the kydex and wrap, makes for easy removal?
I think I might do something with the edge as well like smooth it out.  I just wanted to make sure
I was happy with it before doing any modifications.

I just wanted something to put over the blade that was easy to get on and off and didn't look bad. The paracord weave was more for lack of kydex rivets that anything else but I like how it turned out. I would like too do another for it like my rockhammer sheath that snaps firmly around the handle.
Sent from my Glock 23 using Doubletaptalk

us Offline Heinz Doofenshmirtz

• No Life Club
Reply #4 on: August 16, 2011, 10:28:32 AM
I've had one of the Fiskars 28" chopping axes for about 6 years now, and even though I've neglected it in the past, it's still going strong.  The camping areas where I live only allow collecting dead and down wood, if they allow it at all, and we do 3 or 4 camping trips a year of 3 to 5 days each, so I can't honestly say I've worked my axe all that hard.  That being said, I have successfully cut up large pieces of oak and juniper with it with little problem.  It goes through pine and fir logs like they were hardly even there.

When I first got it, it had a flat ground edge which dulled pretty quickly; after about the fourth camping trip I used it for making firewood it had lost a lot of its cutting power.  However, I keep a double sided file (mill on one side, smurf on the other) in our camping gear, and after a couple of hours with my file and a stone, I was able to put a convex edge on it that has only ever required touching up.

I've wanted something fancier, nicer looking, etc., but this one just works, and because of that I don't see any reason to give it up for something more expensive.  In short, it's an excellent tool for the money.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2011, 10:30:21 AM by Heinz Doofenshmirtz »
The first Noble Truth: life is suffering.  Only by accepting that fact can we transcend it.

gb Offline nuphoria

• Ambidangerous Mistress of Mod
  • Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not all bad, I'm just drawn that way.
Reply #5 on: August 16, 2011, 12:38:19 PM
Nice idea for a sheath :)
A dyslexic man walks in to a bra...

All my music for free: http://soundcloud.com/chrissyvandyke

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86