Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Leatherman MUT Owners Club

scotland Offline colinoutdoors

• Colin
Leatherman MUT Owners Club
on: July 15, 2011, 06:25:21 PM
Welcome to the Leatherman MUT Owners Club

If you are a MUT owner, show us your pictures and join the club :)

Here is my Leatherman MUT EOD which I have had since January 2011. Great tool, got it in a trade from a mate in CA. I have used it quite a bit. I realise its aimed at AR15/M16 owners but the tools are versatile and can be used for many tasks. Its a big beast but surely Leatherman have once again set the benchmark for what is possible.

Foliage green Maxpedition Single Sheath

The home of my MUT EOD

Leatherman MUT EOD

Combo edge knife blade

Bronze carbon scraper, Awl

Wood saw

C4 punch, marlin spike

MUT EOD open

Small bit storage

Bit driver and bits

Youtube video review

be Offline Top-Gear-24

• Absolutely No Life Club
Re: Leatherman MUT Owners Club
Reply #1 on: July 16, 2011, 12:30:29 AM
A MUT Owners club ... count me in  ;).

P.S. I love your Youtube channel colinoutdoors, I subscribed myself to it a few months ago (my youtube name is Rikske77), great reviews and other stuff, keep up the good work  :tu:.

• Colin
Reply #2 on: July 16, 2011, 12:39:45 AM
Thanks my friend. Great selection of pics my friend. I need to get myself the Molle Sheath for my MUT.
The contrast of the satin tools and the BO body on your MUT is very cool.

us Offline waveman7

Reply #3 on: July 18, 2011, 08:59:01 AM
Can one of you awesome MUT tell me how it would translate to general construction work.  I have a charge and st300, but I'm trying to find a excuse to get one.

• Colin
Reply #4 on: July 18, 2011, 09:32:15 AM
Well it isn't as capable for construction work as the ST300 I don't think. Its best suited to what its build for (Firearms maintenance). But it could still do a good job in construction, I like the MUT, its really unique and I find any excuse to use it.

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Armed with camera and not afraid to use it.
Reply #5 on: July 18, 2011, 11:56:09 AM
What can I say, I am lazy.  :D

A little Leatherman information.

Leatherman series articles

• Colin
Reply #6 on: July 18, 2011, 12:03:07 PM
Four MUT's Chako, nice one. Are the two SS ones the same? Is that a camo Super Tool I see? I take it this is the big Leatherman tool draw, with the addition of the Skeletools and Freestyles.  :D

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Armed with camera and not afraid to use it.
Reply #7 on: July 18, 2011, 12:12:30 PM
That is correct. I bought two thinking to use one with my motorcycle. However, I absolutely detest the military sheath as it wasn't made to go onto a belt. I haven't gotten around to getting an alternative sheath...or I might try my hand in making one out of leather. It has been a long time since I did any leatherwork. Mind you, my area is suffering from one of the worst heat waves in years. Temps in the 40s factoring the humidity. So my going into leatherwork will have to wait for cooler weather.  :ahhh

Yes, both of the SS MUTs are the same.

The camo Super Tool was a one off that a fellow in Michigan USA produced using a hydro dip process. I have a few other tools from him that I was fortunate enough to buy off of eBay at the time.
A little Leatherman information.

Leatherman series articles

• Colin
Reply #8 on: July 18, 2011, 12:20:53 PM
Well I hope that heat wave dissipates soon. Sounds very uncomfortable. I don't think I have ever been in tempratures that high, 'Welcome to Scotland'  :rofl:.

So your not a fan of the molle sheath then, thats interesting you say its no good for belt carry. I actually don't have the sheath so I may not get one now you mention some of the downfalls.

Well looks like you have a real gem with that Super Tool then, a one off and a very cool one at that.

scotland Offline Nikos

• No Life Club
  • Why is it doing that?
Reply #9 on: July 18, 2011, 04:42:54 PM
So your not a fan of the molle sheath then, thats interesting you say its no good for belt carry. I actually don't have the sheath so I may not get one now you mention some of the downfalls.

Now that you mentioned it, I've yet to find a molle sheath that carries well on a belt... especially if you're into horizontal carry.

• Colin
Reply #10 on: July 18, 2011, 05:46:56 PM

Now that you mentioned it, I've yet to find a molle sheath that carries well on a belt... especially if you're into horizontal carry.

Hi Nikos, yeah I have a MaxP sheath and do not like how it carries on the belt. I guess the molle sheaths are best to be attached to a vest or pack

ca Offline bdl931

• I'm not a tool snob,I have lots of Leathermans!
Reply #11 on: July 19, 2011, 12:43:55 PM

I carry mine on a 2.5" wide canvas belt while in uniform. I agree about the horizontal carry option.
One way to get around it is to find a decent sized snap link and clip it to the loops on your pants. Hangs a little low but works just the same.
My current EDC:
Leatherman MUT SS with bit kit
CRKT mini My Tighe folder
Surefire A2 Aviator (incan W/W)
CRKT Tao pen

• Colin
Reply #12 on: July 19, 2011, 12:50:47 PM
Thanks for the info my friend, what is the canvas pouch you use? Is it a custom made one?

ca Offline bdl931

• I'm not a tool snob,I have lots of Leathermans!
Reply #13 on: July 19, 2011, 12:53:27 PM
The belt I use is called a "rigger's belt". Mine is from 5.11 tactical, but all kinds of different companies make them. As for the pouch, I just use the MOLLE sheath that is included with the tool.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2011, 12:56:07 PM by bdl931 »
My current EDC:
Leatherman MUT SS with bit kit
CRKT mini My Tighe folder
Surefire A2 Aviator (incan W/W)
CRKT Tao pen

• Colin
Reply #14 on: July 19, 2011, 12:55:29 PM
Sounds very good and seems like it works for you. I like 5.11 gear, I will have a look on there site  :) Cheers for the info

Offline Styerman

• No Life Club
Reply #15 on: July 21, 2011, 03:59:55 PM
Reporting aboard ! I bought a Black EOD for myself , and gifted another to a LEO of my aquaintance . I like the molle sheath - carries well in the vertical position , two "Malice" clips make it OK for horizontal carry . I often carry mine Via the pocket clip - ain't no way you'll loose that puppy !

Chris

gb Offline D0C08

Reply #16 on: July 21, 2011, 05:56:59 PM
Also reporting for duty. Picked up a black MUT two weeks ago; retired my Charge as my daily carry. I use the Molle sheath and find it very comfortable to carry on my belt or in the side pocket of my 5.11 P.U.S.H. Overall, it promises to be a great tool, something that will be carried for long time to come.
W.G.M.A.T.A.T.S.

• Colin
Reply #17 on: July 22, 2011, 10:37:02 AM
Reporting aboard ! I bought a Black EOD for myself , and gifted another to a LEO of my aquaintance . I like the molle sheath - carries well in the vertical position , two "Malice" clips make it OK for horizontal carry . I often carry mine Via the pocket clip - ain't no way you'll loose that puppy !

Chris

Nice one Styerman, I agree the pocket clip is very solid and you aint gonna loose it. Mind you I have the problem that my trousers fall down if I clip it to them  :rofl:

• Colin
Reply #18 on: July 22, 2011, 10:38:23 AM
Also reporting for duty. Picked up a black MUT two weeks ago; retired my Charge as my daily carry. I use the Molle sheath and find it very comfortable to carry on my belt or in the side pocket of my 5.11 P.U.S.H. Overall, it promises to be a great tool, something that will be carried for long time to come.

Glad you have the BO MUT, shame it retired your Charge. I too have the PUSH pack, its quite good :-)

us Offline New_World

• No Life Club
  • I EDC a cell phone
Reply #19 on: July 22, 2011, 10:57:10 PM
I would love to own a MUT.
Which means I'm not in the club. =(
Quality Control
Materials
Design

• Colin
Reply #20 on: July 22, 2011, 11:02:47 PM
I would love to own a MUT.
Which means I'm not in the club. =(

Hopefully one day mate :- )

gb Offline D0C08

Reply #21 on: July 24, 2011, 01:30:44 AM

Glad you have the BO MUT, shame it retired your Charge. I too have the PUSH pack, its quite good :-)

Still love my Charge; it has only retired to home use rather a daily carry. Nice to hear someone else with a PUSH pack, find it so useful to pack s**t in; even my three year old likes carrying it although that means the odd rogue Thomas the Tank engine appearing at work!
W.G.M.A.T.A.T.S.

us Offline Ashley

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • AKA Knife Crazied
Reply #22 on: July 24, 2011, 05:20:36 AM
I'm not in the club but wanted to make a statement about the leatherman molle sheath. Worse sheath I have ever had in my life.  :ahhh Didn't take me long to sell it and get a maxpedition single sheath. Still not my favorite but its 10 to 1 better then the HORRIBLE Leatherman moille sheath.  :rant:

us Offline New_World

• No Life Club
  • I EDC a cell phone
Reply #23 on: July 24, 2011, 05:23:53 AM
I'm not in the club but wanted to make a statement about the leatherman molle sheath. Worse sheath I have ever had in my life.  :ahhh Didn't take me long to sell it and get a maxpedition single sheath. Still not my favorite but its 10 to 1 better then the HORRIBLE Leatherman moille sheath.  :rant:

its funny but I've noticed that some of the best tools have the worth sheaths.  lol

as long as the tool is good I'm happy. Not to picky about sheaths really.
Quality Control
Materials
Design

us Offline turnsouth

• No Life Club
  • There is no spoon
Reply #24 on: July 24, 2011, 05:45:14 AM

What didn't you like about it?
Never underestimate the power of the fleece

• Colin
Reply #25 on: July 24, 2011, 10:25:39 AM

Still love my Charge; it has only retired to home use rather a daily carry. Nice to hear someone else with a PUSH pack, find it so useful to pack s**t in; even my three year old likes carrying it although that means the odd rogue Thomas the Tank engine appearing at work!

Yeah the PUSH pack is great, very useful. Well everyone loves Thomas the Tank Engine so I bet your work mates are jealous  :)

• Colin
Reply #26 on: July 24, 2011, 10:26:48 AM

Shame to hear you didn't get on with the molle sheath. I need to try one for myself. Can you carry it horizontally?

gb Offline D0C08

Reply #27 on: July 24, 2011, 01:38:48 PM
Cannot understand why the MOLLE sheath is the worst sheath ever. I cannot see anything inherently wrong with it.

It has a good secure snap, fits nicely on a riggers belt or a RICAS if I am shooting. It holds the MUT securely although a little tight with the pocket clip fitted. The wrench tool fits snugly in the snap strap though it is not something I carry everyday.

I have added the bit carrier from my Charge and the sheath has plenty of room to hold it. I haven't tried carrying it horizontally but it is possible. All over it is not too bulky and, as said before, fits nicely in the side pocket of my PUSH.

The cordura is good quality, well stitched and appears to be hard-wearing, although only time will tell on the latter. The flap has a good amount of Velcro which seals the unit securely even when worn upside down.
 :multi:
« Last Edit: July 24, 2011, 01:42:32 PM by D0C08 »
W.G.M.A.T.A.T.S.

Offline Styerman

• No Life Club
Reply #28 on: July 24, 2011, 04:17:26 PM
 I like the MUT Molle sheath , well made , works OK . I usually throw multi sheaths over my left shoulder , and either make my own or use mag. pouches .

I also use the MUT sheath to carry a large folder and a diamond hone . I have the tan and will prolly also order the black one .

Chris

• Colin
Reply #29 on: July 24, 2011, 11:10:35 PM
Cannot understand why the MOLLE sheath is the worst sheath ever. I cannot see anything inherently wrong with it.

It has a good secure snap, fits nicely on a riggers belt or a RICAS if I am shooting. It holds the MUT securely although a little tight with the pocket clip fitted. The wrench tool fits snugly in the snap strap though it is not something I carry everyday.

I have added the bit carrier from my Charge and the sheath has plenty of room to hold it. I haven't tried carrying it horizontally but it is possible. All over it is not too bulky and, as said before, fits nicely in the side pocket of my PUSH.

The cordura is good quality, well stitched and appears to be hard-wearing, although only time will tell on the latter. The flap has a good amount of Velcro which seals the unit securely even when worn upside down.
 :multi:

Thanks for the info my friend, sounds like the Molle sheath works well for you. :)

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD
39%