Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Leatherman Free P2/P4 Club and Feedback Thread

Offline cdcengineer

Re: Leatherman Free P2/P4 Club and Feedback Thread
Reply #930 on: December 14, 2023, 03:58:59 PM
Maybe. Lemme see how the arc is when it arrives

us Offline Legend

Reply #931 on: December 14, 2023, 04:03:20 PM
Maybe. Lemme see how the arc is when it arrives
Sounds good.  Can you tell me the date code?  I also collect 0519 tools for my carry.

Offline cdcengineer

Reply #932 on: December 14, 2023, 08:35:16 PM
Unfortunately it's 0819

us Offline Legend

Reply #933 on: December 14, 2023, 08:36:58 PM
Thanks.  Maybe I need to get to work and sniff out a 0519.

gb Offline Crunchie64

Reply #934 on: December 14, 2023, 09:58:34 PM
My P4 is 0519 and 0619, but strangely, my P2 doesn’t seem to have any date markings.

Offline cdcengineer

Reply #935 on: December 14, 2023, 10:38:49 PM
I think the oldest ones (1st released) didn't have a stamp. If I recall, there were a couple changes made early on too.

gb Offline Crunchie64

Reply #936 on: December 14, 2023, 10:42:55 PM
I think the oldest ones (1st released) didn't have a stamp. If I recall, there were a couple changes made early on too.

That’s interesting. I only bought it about three months ago from the local branch of a big camping and outdoors chain. I wonder how long they’d had it in their warehouse.

I assume the date would be on the small tabs of metal under the pliers on the P2, same place as the P4?

Offline cdcengineer

Reply #937 on: December 14, 2023, 10:43:40 PM
My P2 only has a date code on the tab on the side under the screwdrivers. I think that's how P2s are dated

Offline cdcengineer

Reply #938 on: December 14, 2023, 10:45:46 PM
The fact they had a tool sit that long explains the early retirement. Tho it's a great sized tool, the implements are lacking for my needs

Offline cdcengineer

Reply #939 on: December 17, 2023, 09:23:50 PM
They appear to be sold out at REI

Offline cdcengineer

Reply #940 on: December 29, 2023, 05:43:58 PM
I'm now starting to think we'll see a Free P2+ and P4+ in 2024 that include a bit driver instead of all the flat head screwdrivers.

Anyone heard if there's going to be price increases in the new year? I think that's happened the past few years.

gb Offline Crunchie64

Reply #941 on: December 30, 2023, 01:49:30 AM
I'm now starting to think we'll see a Free P2+ and P4+ in 2024 that include a bit driver instead of all the flat head screwdrivers.

Do you think there’s room for both alongside the Arc?

I’d like to see smaller and larger versions first, with a combo blade, less expensive steel version of the Arc later.

I think a Free MiniTool without Magnacut and Free Surge with all the goodies would be popular.

Luckily for me, I’m not a Leatherman designer or engineer, so I don’t have to figure out how the Free Mini will work.

us Offline Kevdynamite

• Sparky: king of the trades
Reply #942 on: January 03, 2024, 05:28:35 AM
I'll try to take some photos tomorrow, but I have been in love with the P2 essentially since its release. I carried a surge for years, and while it is an absolute tank of a MT, the weight and need to open it to access drivers really annoyed me after a while. I ground the tip of my surge serrated knife into a #2 slotted, which slightly took care of the driver issue, but I still just found myself getting annoyed with the tool. I tried a wave+, hoping it's smaller stature would make me like it more, but mine is so tight and I had the same issues I had with the surge--maybe moreso, since it was smaller and I was fighting to open the interior tools.

Then, while doing some research, I found the free series. I loved the fact that the tools are all on the outside, especially because my job involved constantly needing just a screw driver. And the P2, being my entry into this series, really did everything that I needed. I tried carrying a bit set in a sheath for my surge for a while with a tiny flashlight and pen and quickly realized that I am a pocket clip guy and to heck with adding all kinds of extras I will never use. The few drivers, the robust scissors, the sharp wire cutters: this thing really checked all my boxes and then some.

I thought I lost one at work.  I retraced my steps, I tore my work vehicle apart. I was heartbroken,  but I put the wave in my pocket and figured I'd learn to love it. I was wrong, and I bought a slightly used replacement P2 on ebay after a dew days. Then, last week--about 8 months after losing and replacing my first one, I found my lost MT deep in my bedroom recliner. I was extremely excited to now have a back up, and my wife had just gifted me an ARC for Xmas. I am living high on the hog.

And another thing I've seen far too often is fear that the magnets will collect too much gunk and lead to failure. As an industrial electrician, I have cut thousands of holes and windows in panels and enclosures and have not had a single issue with chips and shavings. My last job was in a cement mill and limestone mine, which is basically hell on earth for tools and equipment. I was always getting my surge so full of gunk that I would need to submerge the thing in solvents to clean it and then do the same thing with a bath of oil to lube it up. I cleaned and oiled my hand tools and boots every month when I was on night shift, but my P2 never needed any help.

I love the P2 because of its minimalist tool set that works wonders for what I do. And I am not necessarily a guy that will struggle with a subpar MT if I don't have to. I deal with electricity,  so jamming a lightning rod into places it shouldn't go is very low on my priority list. My MT is a back up to an extremely indulgent hand tool collection, but there are certainly times when I forgot to bring something and am smitten to have what will do the job clipped to my pocket. I'm excited to have and carry an ARC, but I still think the P2 is my grail.

us Offline JonesE

Reply #943 on: January 03, 2024, 10:57:45 PM
Great post and welcome to the club Kevdynamite! It was great to read your feedback and experience with the P2. Glad it is working so well for you.

JonesE

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #944 on: January 03, 2024, 11:22:53 PM
 :iagree: :hatsoff: :like: :like:

us Offline David Bowen

• Multitool Enthusiast
  • Admin Team
  • No Life Club
  • Site Manager
Reply #945 on: January 04, 2024, 12:29:04 AM
Awesome story @Kevdynamite glad you have such a fondness for the P2. Before my Arc I've only owned the P2, and it's a great tool with a minimalistic tool set.

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

Offline cdcengineer

Reply #946 on: January 04, 2024, 03:56:56 AM
Size of the P2 is great, but a P2+ or P3 in the some size with bit driver is going to be better. I just got the arc, but have been carrying an old Ti. Love the Ti. I had never carried it with a pocket clip till now. Always used a sheath with wave and charge, but my P2 turned me into a pocket carrier.  However with the Ti, I notice the handles open a bit in my side carhartt pocket. The magnets on the P2 never allowed that to happen.

us Offline Kevdynamite

• Sparky: king of the trades
Reply #947 on: January 05, 2024, 04:51:44 PM
Size of the P2 is great, but a P2+ or P3 in the some size with bit driver is going to be better. I just got the arc, but have been carrying an old Ti. Love the Ti. I had never carried it with a pocket clip till now. Always used a sheath with wave and charge, but my P2 turned me into a pocket carrier.  However with the Ti, I notice the handles open a bit in my side carhartt pocket. The magnets on the P2 never allowed that to happen.

I bought a beautiful leather sheath for my surge years ago, with a spot for a bit sleeve,  small light, and extension, but I just could not get used to having a big, bulbous wart hanging off my belt. And I can understand why everyone desires the bit holders on these tools, but I am someone that will 100% lose the bits. I have 6x 11-1 screwdrivers in my work truck as we speak that are missing at least 1 bit :dunno:. I guess an MT is different in the sense that I can't use the holder without a bit as a nut driver, but I will still manage to lose the one in my arc in no time!

00 Offline Judith

Reply #948 on: February 19, 2024, 11:29:10 PM
So after being on a tear lately with some new LM pick ups I was at my local Ace Hardware today and I just happened to notice a Free P4 they had sitting in the case. I’ve never handled any of the Free series and I noticed LM site the P2/4 are both unavailable which makes me think they are discontinuing it. Anyways after picking it up and seeing how loosey Goosey the pliers were I initial thought something was wrong with it until I snapped them into place.  I asked the lady about it and she said it was their last one and if I wanted it she would give me 20% off so of course I said “I’ll take it”.
Once I got home and messed with it for a while I’m actually really digging it. It almost doesn’t feel like a LM but something completely different. I knew going in it has somewhat of a underwhelming set up with no bit set attachment or the multiple flatheads but I have my trusty Surge for those needs. I love the way it feels in hand as well as it in the pocket, compared to my Surge I can barely tell it’s there.
I dabbled for a bit and pondered if I should just get the Arc as it’s really close to the P4 and includes some nice upgrades as well but I’m glad I picked it up.
Ill report back once I get some actual use time with it and see if I’m still liking it as much as I do now.

us Offline JonesE

Reply #949 on: February 20, 2024, 04:38:28 AM
Welcome to the forum Judith. Congratulations on getting a new P4. I hope it gives you years of faithful service.

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #950 on: February 20, 2024, 04:18:38 PM
 :iagree: :salute: Welcome to :MTO:  :cheers:

us Offline Legend

Reply #951 on: February 24, 2024, 08:57:34 PM
Still available on Amazon for anyone who is not aware.

00 Offline Judith

Reply #952 on: February 25, 2024, 03:07:04 AM
Still available on Amazon for anyone who is not aware.

Yep Amazon has them as well as Murdochs. My local Murdochs have quite a few P4/P2’s in stock, I have a 20% discount code so I think I’m going to go pick up a back up P4

us Offline JonesE

Reply #953 on: March 04, 2024, 06:16:01 PM
Got my P4 with me today.

gb Offline Crunchie64

Reply #954 on: March 04, 2024, 07:06:40 PM
Got my P4 with me today.

Love that photo! Couple of great tools.

us Offline JonesE

Reply #955 on: March 04, 2024, 10:23:52 PM
Thank you Crunchie64!    :hatsoff:

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #956 on: March 05, 2024, 02:00:03 AM
Looking great, Jones :o :drool: :like:

us Offline JonesE

Reply #957 on: March 05, 2024, 02:32:53 AM
Thanks Poncho!

fr Offline FrenchEOD

Reply #958 on: April 06, 2024, 12:02:56 PM
Question about P2 gentleman's  :hatsoff:

I saw it at pretty good price in a store BUT

my question : is anyone have tried if the SOG bit kit adapter is compatible with the philips head on leaterman p2/p4 ? by looking picture it's seems it can work but before maybe buying it i prefer to know  ???
if you ride like lightning you're gonna crash like thunder

gb Offline Crunchie64

Reply #959 on: April 06, 2024, 03:34:06 PM
Question about P2 gentleman's  :hatsoff:

I saw it at pretty good price in a store BUT

my question : is anyone have tried if the SOG bit kit adapter is compatible with the philips head on leaterman p2/p4 ? by looking picture it's seems it can work but before maybe buying it i prefer to know  ???

It does go on, but there is a lot of side to side movement.

If you just wanted to carry it for very occasional access to interchangeable bits, it’s worth a go. Certainly a fair compromise rather than paying at least twice as much for an Arc.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD
39%