Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Leatherman MUT Owners Club

scotland Offline colinoutdoors

• Colin
Re: Leatherman MUT Owners Club
Reply #30 on: July 24, 2011, 11:12:01 PM
I like the MUT Molle sheath , well made , works OK . I usually throw multi sheaths over my left shoulder , and either make my own or use mag. pouches .

I also use the MUT sheath to carry a large folder and a diamond hone . I have the tan and will prolly also order the black one .

Chris

Hey Chris, thanks for the information on the Molle sheath, sounds like it works well for you. I shall need to try it in the near future

Offline wytwolf

• New User
Reply #31 on: July 28, 2011, 07:54:30 PM
I love the look and feel of the mut. But not being a gun owner sort of restricts it's usefulness. If I could swap out the Bolt override tool for scissors I think I would by one.

• Colin
Reply #32 on: August 03, 2011, 10:10:58 AM
I love the look and feel of the mut. But not being a gun owner sort of restricts it's usefulness. If I could swap out the Bolt override tool for scissors I think I would by one.

Well I am the same as you, not a gun owner. But I have found some great uses for the tools. Carbon scraper - Awl, C4 Punch - Marlin spike. I agree though scissors would be a great addition to the MUT.

• Colin
Reply #33 on: August 03, 2011, 10:11:59 AM
Where are all the MUT owners? C'mon guys I know there are more of you out there  :pok:.

au Offline MultiMat

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • The MTO handshake.
Reply #34 on: August 03, 2011, 12:38:11 PM
Thanks to MTO(I won a MUT  8) 8)).
My MUT is my yard bitch MT. The hammer is REALLY handy as is the nice & big blade/saw  8) 8) 8).

I used my MUT to pull apart a deceased microwave oven , the longer screw driver bits were just the thing  8) ,used the pliers to remove a couple of security torx bolts(saved me a trip to find my security torx bits set 8) 8)). Even used the hammer to tap some parts out  :D :D :D.
Now the 'replaceable'  ::) ::) ::) carbon scrapper is not like a normal awl I did find out today  ::) ::) :D :D. Being bronze I suspect it is not as rigid as a normal MT's awl. As I was using/abusing it I was thinking 'its ok it's replaceable' as a jammed it between 2 riveted pieces of metal. I had the cunning plan to grab a near by brick to whack the hammer end of the MUT with the scrapper in place.Before I grabbed the brick I thought I would make sure the scrapper was holding up OK  ::) ::) ::) :o :o :o :o :D :D :D.

:oops: :D :D, it be a bit of a wet wonky noodle  ::) ::) :D :D :D.

Not too worry I had a old Japanese MT set on hand & I used it's hammer to whack the scrapper back into alignment , no harm done  :D :D

All good  :D :D, just need to give the blade & saw a much needed clean + sharpen the blade.
I do prefer the ease of sharpening a PE blade though  :-\ :-\ .

"Downunder Mod (that sounds dirty, doesn't it?)"
Yeh Baby :P >:D >:D

Offline Styerman

• No Life Club
Reply #35 on: August 03, 2011, 04:44:15 PM
I really wish Leatherman would make a steel iteration of the carbon scraper , it would be great for hole making and abusive cutting . I have thought about getting a millwright/machinest type to make me one .

Chris

spam Offline keldan

Reply #36 on: August 03, 2011, 07:24:17 PM
I agree.

I got the MUT a few weeks ago as well, and as I'm not a gun owner either I don't quite dare to use the bronze scraper. A harder version as an awl would have been great.

What I particularly like about the tool and what intrigued me the most was not only the great looks :) but also the replaceable wire cutters, the replaceable cutting hook (love the cutting hook on the Charge TTi as well!) and - first and foremost! - of course the hammer.

Additionally, it is the heaviest multitool I have owned so far (being my third, actually), and it gives  a very heavy duty and reliable impression.

Oh, and I have the MUT, not the MUT EOD. I thought the non-EOD version was a better fit for me, and so far I haven't been proven wrong yet :)

us Offline New_World

• No Life Club
  • I EDC a cell phone
Reply #37 on: August 03, 2011, 07:46:11 PM
I agree.

I got the MUT a few weeks ago as well, and as I'm not a gun owner either I don't quite dare to use the bronze scraper. A harder version as an awl would have been great.

What I particularly like about the tool and what intrigued me the most was not only the great looks :) but also the replaceable wire cutters, the replaceable cutting hook (love the cutting hook on the Charge TTi as well!) and - first and foremost! - of course the hammer.

Additionally, it is the heaviest multitool I have owned so far (being my third, actually), and it gives  a very heavy duty and reliable impression.

Oh, and I have the MUT, not the MUT EOD. I thought the non-EOD version was a better fit for me, and so far I haven't been proven wrong yet :)

whats the difference between the 2?
Quality Control
Materials
Design

spam Offline keldan

Reply #38 on: August 03, 2011, 08:23:20 PM
Leatherman MUT (official Leatherman website)
Leatherman MUT EOD (official Leatherman website)

Basically on the MUT EOD you get replaceable fuse-wire cutters (straight blades) instead of replaceable wire & hard wire cutters (mostly straight blades but a little wider towards the bottom for the harder wires), a C4 punch (quite big in diameter with a pointed tip) instead of a firearm disassembly punch (rather small in diameter, flat tip) and instead of the plier-part with the big zig-zagged, rounded belly you get military performance spec cap crimpers (which I absolutely have no use for).

Except for the cap crimpers on the plier head everything should be replaceable with the counter-parts of the other tool, but I don't see any need for that myself :)

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #39 on: August 04, 2011, 06:16:14 AM
I get along okay with the bronze scraper as an awl, but I haven't found anything truly useful to do with the pin punch. :think:

If anything, I'd like to see them replace that first. :-\
In order to be certain of having the right tool for every job.........one must first acquire a lot of tools

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Armed with camera and not afraid to use it.
Reply #40 on: August 04, 2011, 02:24:16 PM
Bob, why don't you trim the edge to a sharp point on that pin punch. That would be a lot more useful I would think.
A little Leatherman information.

Leatherman series articles

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #41 on: August 05, 2011, 01:58:24 AM
Bob, why don't you trim the edge to a sharp point on that pin punch. That would be a lot more useful I would think.

Like a pokey point on the end? I could do that, but then I'd be feeling the bronze scraper = awl would be redundant. :-\
In order to be certain of having the right tool for every job.........one must first acquire a lot of tools

us Offline turnsouth

• No Life Club
  • There is no spoon
Reply #42 on: August 05, 2011, 03:22:53 AM
I get along okay with the bronze scraper as an awl, but I haven't found anything truly useful to do with the pin punch. :think:

Seems like a perfect place to install a removable pen...
Never underestimate the power of the fleece

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #43 on: August 05, 2011, 04:05:42 AM

Seems like a perfect place to install a removable pen...

Ooooh, now that's an idea! :tu:

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Armed with camera and not afraid to use it.
Reply #44 on: August 05, 2011, 05:12:10 AM
A pen would work nicely.
A little Leatherman information.

Leatherman series articles

Offline Styerman

• No Life Club
Reply #45 on: August 05, 2011, 03:05:50 PM
IIRC , the pin punch base is just a common garden variety 8-32 thread .

Chris

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
Reply #46 on: August 05, 2011, 03:38:38 PM
Just a thought (I've not got a MUT or need/desire for one nor have I ever seen one in the flesh) how does the refills for the Exotac nanostriker compare in size and thread for example? A full size MT with saw AND misch metal firesteel would be quite popular with some outdoorsy folk I'd imagine

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

Offline Styerman

• No Life Club
Reply #47 on: August 05, 2011, 07:59:01 PM
A firesteel is a hell of a good idea , easy to rig . I carry mine on a neck lanyard when in the bush , but a back up never hurts .

Chris

spam Offline keldan

Reply #48 on: August 06, 2011, 09:39:15 PM
Has anyone thought about removing the belt clip?

I for one don't use it at all. I'd rather pocket it completely or use the carabiner.

I just don't know what to do with the holes because you can't just put the screws back in as they would stand out too far. :think:

On the other hand I'd really hate to "modify" my MUT, even if it's such a small thing (which they obviously even intended because they used the normal Torx screws instead of security Torx screws). I always have the feeling that taking something away could make me regret it in the long run ::)

What are your opinions about this?

Offline Styerman

• No Life Club
Reply #49 on: August 07, 2011, 02:54:06 AM
Personally , I like the belt clip - no way you're gonna loose your MUT . Baout a 50/50 wether I carry it in the pouch , or via the clip .

Chris

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #50 on: August 07, 2011, 04:22:26 AM
Meh, why not remove the clip for awhile and see how you like it? You can always pop it back on again later. :)

« Last Edit: August 07, 2011, 04:25:24 AM by J-sews »

au Offline MultiMat

• The MTO handshake.
Reply #51 on: August 07, 2011, 04:54:05 AM
I have wondered if the pocket clip gives the hammer a bit of structural support  :think: :think: so I have been happy to leave my one on  :think: :think: :think:. That said LM made it so you could take it off  :think: :think:. I wonder if anyone has broken a MUT hammer yet  :think: :think: :D :D :D

ca Offline bdl931

• I'm not a tool snob,I have lots of Leathermans!
Reply #52 on: August 07, 2011, 06:03:11 AM

I just don't know what to do with the holes because you can't just put the screws back in as they would stand out too far. :think:

I used the extra screws that came with a set of replacement cutters as blanking screws to protect the threads. Same size and sit flush. All of the removable screws on the MUT are interchangeable.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2011, 06:07:53 AM by bdl931 »
My current EDC:
Leatherman MUT SS with bit kit
CRKT mini My Tighe folder
Surefire A2 Aviator (incan W/W)
CRKT Tao pen

spam Offline keldan

Reply #53 on: August 07, 2011, 08:41:12 AM
Oh, that's very good to know :)
Thanks, bdl931, I'm gonna get me the replacement cutters and try it out :tu:

As for the structural support of the hammer - I have wondered that, too, but I think most of the force is transferred and held by the main frame. The belt clip might have a part in this, but only slightly (if even at all).

I have seen a MUT hammer that had the bolt override part (the "point") broken off, but the whole hammer ... well, someone's probably gonna manage to do that :P Haven't seen one of those yet though

spam Offline keldan

Reply #54 on: August 12, 2011, 06:50:51 PM
Am I just blind or are there really no date codes on the Leatherman MUT? ???

I've been staring at my MUT for quite some time now, long enough to make someone else who might have seen me think I was nuts :pok: but I haven't had any success so far.

According to an older thread I found on here (Skeletool Date Codes), Skeletools (which share the general layout with the MUT after all) don't have date codes either.

Can anyone confirm or deny this for the MUT?

au Offline MultiMat

• The MTO handshake.
Reply #55 on: August 13, 2011, 01:43:55 AM
I did the same thing last week  ::) ::) :D :D.
Yep I think the MUT shares the Skeletool's no date stamp status  :( :( :(.

Offline Nescafe

• New User
Reply #56 on: August 15, 2011, 09:09:31 AM
Hi, my first post here and I have a plan to get an EOD this month, have a question about molle that come with EOD, can it hold and carry EOD + 42 bit kit + the bit extender inside? Also anybody here ever try molle with wave, how it was fit? My wave sheath is old and need a new one that also can hold and carry WAVE + 42 bit + bit extender inside, so if I can get any review here I will be ordering another molle with the EOD. BTW I lived in Indonesia, so I can save a lot for shipping cost if I ordered both the EOD and additional molle. I have seen the premium leather sheath II review in another thread, it works perfectly like I want but prefer non leather one.

Thank You.

us Offline Accujohn

• No Life Club
Reply #57 on: September 09, 2011, 08:42:57 AM
I'm in... It's my favorite by far

us Offline Accujohn

• No Life Club
Reply #58 on: September 09, 2011, 08:57:26 AM

Both my mut and skeletool have dates

us Offline New_World

• No Life Club
  • I EDC a cell phone
Reply #59 on: September 09, 2011, 09:58:49 AM

Both my mut and skeletool have dates

I'm jealous.  >:(
Quality Control
Materials
Design

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86