Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Leatherman MUT Owners Club

us Offline Hammer

• Guardian of the Swamp
Re: Leatherman MUT Owners Club
Reply #90 on: February 19, 2012, 08:29:35 AM
You know, I think I will go ahead and withdraw that question 2 posts above this one, about whether or not my MUT was Black Oxide or not.  I just looked on the Leatherman page and saw pictures of both.  I do remember not knowing there was a choice when I bought mine.
NRA Member
No Regrets!

us Offline Hammer

• Guardian of the Swamp
Reply #91 on: February 23, 2012, 07:52:14 AM
I am a member of the MUT owner's club.  These pics have been posted before, but right now they are all I have, so you will have to see them one more time!  BTW, I have a question for those of you in the know, is my MUT considered Black Oxide? I'm betting the answer is yes since there is not a piece of stainless on it, but the way I figure it, if you don't know, you better ask somebody! :facepalm:

Links broken because I moved them in Photobucket.

(Image removed from quote.)

(Image removed from quote.)
(Image removed from quote.)(Image removed from quote.)
NRA Member
No Regrets!

nl Offline Desmodromic

Reply #92 on: February 23, 2012, 08:27:37 PM
I Got a BO MUT, but a couple of weeks ago I fell and the tool got damaged. The two 'screws'  that tighten the pinch and the saw. Is it possible to get these parts separatly from LM? Because this is not a warranty issue but my own fault.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2012, 08:29:14 PM by Desmodromic »
Someone who wants finds a solution
Someone who doesn't want finds an excuse

ca Offline Metropolicity

• No Life Club
  • Hack Virtuoso
Reply #93 on: February 23, 2012, 08:38:49 PM
I Got a BO MUT, but a couple of weeks ago I fell and the tool got damaged. The two 'screws'  that tighten the pinch and the saw. Is it possible to get these parts separatly from LM? Because this is not a warranty issue but my own fault.

You can't get the parts. Send it in, I've never had a warranty repair turned away despite it being my fault or not.
Why stop now?

Visit the whole Skinth family here: http://www.skinthsolutions.com

Keep up with The Skinths on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/SkinthSolutions

Shapeways - Metro's Q-branch:
http://www.shapeways.com/shops/metro-qbranch

PayPal: metrogradegoods [at} gmail. com

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #94 on: February 24, 2012, 02:37:55 PM
I'm in! No pic yet as its being modded at the moment. Love this thing.

Oh sure, drop a bomb like that then leave us hanging?  Come on, let us know what you are doing!   :pok:

You can't get the parts. Send it in, I've never had a warranty repair turned away despite it being my fault or not.

Leatherman's warranty has been pretty good to just about everyone here who has made use of it.  If the tool seems faulty in any way I suggest contacting Leatherman about it.

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

us Offline tattoosteve99

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #95 on: February 24, 2012, 09:26:51 PM
I'm in! No pic yet as its being modded at the moment. Love this thing.

Oh sure, drop a bomb like that then leave us hanging?  Come on, let us know what you are doing!   :pok:

I posted in the mod squad but I'll say it here also. First I dyed the brown plastic black. :think: what was LM thinking with brown plastic? :twak:  Next I'm making a Damascus awl to replace the bronze scrapper. Finally I may or may not add a diamond file from a wave. Still thinking on it.
If I remember correctly, wait, what was I saying?

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #96 on: February 25, 2012, 01:17:31 AM
Coyote brown is the chic color for the discerning military folk ever since we stopped fighting in the woods and started fighting in the desert.   ::)

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

irishpunk

Reply #97 on: March 12, 2012, 03:38:38 AM
I'm new here....I am also a proud owner of a MUT tool. Along with a few others.http://i1240.photobucket.com/albums/gg481/getsome88/Leathermantools001.jpg

cncwhiz

Reply #98 on: June 16, 2012, 03:41:17 PM
Hello folks,

I got a LM MUT for fathers day from my wife and daughter yesterday. I had been wanting a LM for some time, but just never got around to picking one up. I picked out the MUT because of a few features I really liked. It was between this and the ST300. The reason I did not choose the ST300 is because it didn't have replaceable screwdrivers or the bit driver feature to be exact. The other thing I was looking for was the replaceable cutters in the jaws. This is awesome. I don't know how many pairs of needle nose pliers I have ruined by attemptimg to cut something a little too hard. Seems like once they get a goofed up spot on them, they never work the same. I had no idea LM offered this, so I was excited when I saw it.

If they offered the ST300 in a bit driver version like this MUT, I would dive on it. I really like the better range of tools that the ST300 has. The MUT has a good bit of tools, but like other folks, I find myself wishing it had more. I am a firearms enthusiast, but I got this tool to use in everyday life. Sure, it will come in handy around firearms, but its main purpose is to be there when I need it. This is my first multitool. I think I am really going to enjoy it. First pic:

The first mod I made was to sharpen the punch. I can get a lot more use out of it sharp like this.

Mods on the list so far to do:

I need to figure out if the carbon scraper can be replaced with something more useful. I'm not really a big scissors fan, so I have been looking at other things. Maybe a file? That would work. I'm just not sure what is available, and what might be a more common mod among the other owners. I don't mind the carbon scraper, but I don't really have a use for it other than what it is designed for..For an EDC tool, it is kind of just wasted space to me.

The screwdriver bits are great. I got the kit which has the bit set, and I can tell you, what I will use the most are the flat and phillips heads. I like the fact that I have one small one and one longer one. The other long bit on the other side which is torx, is kind of a wasted tool as well as I will likely not use it. I was trying to think, I may be able to take a couple of the bits from the set that I know I won't use, cut them up, modify them, and make another long bit with flat and phillips head drivers in a differnt size than the one already there. That way I would have a good range of head sizes. Still not sure what I might do there. I don't really see the need to carry the complete bit packs..just more weight to an otherwise heavy tool already. I don't mind the tool's weight, I just don't want to add anymore if I can help it. On that note, Does anybody know if there is a way to utilize the very small bit - the one that might be used for eyeglass screws and such? I was looking for a place on the tool to insert it but I haven't found one.

I have to do something with the knife blade. I might be picky, but when the tool is held right handed like the photo below, it kind of bothers me that the serrations are ground on the other side. Most any right handed knife has the serations ground on the side facing you, which would be the side of the blade in the picture. I know that these tools are not really right and left handed; just a weird thing to me. On top of that, I don't like serrated blades. They are difficult to sharpen correctly and usually turn into a useless part of the blade; a part where the edge could continue all the way back and be that much more useful.

See what I mean here-holding the tool right handed, serations on the opposite side:

You probably wondered why I said I'd make a new blade. I am a knifemaker in my free time. I am also a toolmaker and CNC guy for a living. I can make pretty much anything out of metal. Here is one of my recent knives:

All in all I really like the tool. I am so happy to have it and looking forward to using it. I can't wait to work with it a while, and customize it to better suit me. I thought about making a new blade out of some stainless damascus. That would surely seperate it from all the other MUTs :) LM did a good job, this thing is very well made.

au Offline MultiMat

• The MTO handshake.
Reply #99 on: June 16, 2012, 05:00:44 PM
G'day & welcome John  :D :D , glad you like your MUT mate , I like the hammer on my one a lot  :D :D.A couple of guys here have talked about replacing the scraper with a awl made out of something not so bendy  ::) :D,not sure if anyone has posted pictures of one completed though  :think: :think:

Very nice work on the Damascus custom knife mate  :salute: :salute: :salute:

"Downunder Mod (that sounds dirty, doesn't it?)"
Yeh Baby :P >:D >:D

cncwhiz

Reply #100 on: June 16, 2012, 05:14:52 PM
I could probably do an awl..just not sure exactly what one is used for. What the heck are they supposed to be for?

us Offline baja820

Reply #101 on: January 08, 2013, 06:10:36 AM
Newest MUT club member here!

I love it.
God made man but Samuel Colt made them equal.

Offline ma_rukh

• New User
Reply #102 on: March 20, 2013, 07:41:22 PM
Hi everybody, I'm an infiltrated here as I don't have a MUT... Not yet I mean!  ;-)
This thread is the very reason I subscribed to the forum for I have been since quite some time searching for the perfect EDC for me and never really found the right combination until today I met while surfing the net a picture that hit the spot, I followed it to its source and I found myself here, looking at Metropolicity's mod.... WOW!
Sir I salute your skills here and thank you for having shared the results!
Now before opening the proverbial bottle as we say from back home I would defer to the community's superior knowledge to understand a couple of things more in order to be sure I really found my Tool:
1. I hear, sorry read, many talking about how much of a beast it is, may I ask how beastly its measures are? I read it is 12 cm long when closed, what about width and height? I ask this for i usually wear suits in office and am a but worried it might seen i have a rabbit in my pocket... As of now i usually carry a Victorinox Trailmaster Road Edition as EDC, I understand the MUT is bigger but my question is how much bigger (twice a much? More?)
2. I am a scissor user, something that purveyed me from considering the beastie before but the mod I saw made me think again, question here is how hard is it to do that? Can it be done with the bronze scraper instead of the puncher (which I'd convert to an awl straight away)? How hard it is to find the scissors to fit to it? These questions are mainly for the Modder himself but if anybody else has the possibility to shed any light on the matter I'll be very very grateful
3. Is the saw replaceable? I thought not but read somewhere on the Web on an article titled 5 reasons to buy MUT as your only multi tool that all the parts can be replaced, is it true?
Thank you very much for any help you might provide

M.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2013, 07:43:53 PM by ma_rukh »

Offline recklesstryg

Reply #103 on: March 25, 2013, 04:56:34 PM

Removed the Clip so it could fit into:

Molded Kydex Holster

EDCed for 2 years

ca Offline derekmac

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Little to the right...
Reply #104 on: October 04, 2013, 12:19:35 AM
Let's bring this one back to life.  Here's my baby.

00 Offline Kukamunga

• drool, *drool* for cool multitoolz
Reply #105 on: October 13, 2013, 11:19:35 PM
Hi All:

I've got two MUTs now - an EOD I've had - well, replaced last year - for about three years and is my EDC.  Second I got last week, which is a plain old regular MUT, non BO.  I love them both; I find this such a useful tool.

Maybe you guys can help me.  I'm trying to figure out if I'm doing something wrong [operator error?!  impossible!] or I need to send in my EOD.  Perhaps someone else here has had the same problem.  The torx screws at the plier head that also hold in the knife & saw are either loose enough that I cannot control the pliers...or so tight that the knife and saw are a two-handed fiasco to pull out.  It's also a given that, when tightened, the fold-down is pretty nasty tight too.  In other words, not super usable.  Does LM have some super magic tensioner they use when tightening down these screws?

I don't know; I think I know how to tighten screws, but there's always that possibility.  Would any of you go ahead and send a MUT with this problem in to LM?

Thanks in advance as they say... :D
...nothing in his pockets but knives and lint...

00 Offline Kukamunga

Reply #106 on: October 19, 2013, 02:41:27 AM
OK...so...no one has had this aforementioned problem with either the MUT or some other LM MT??  Really?  NO ONE?

Jeez; not asking for red carpet treatment here.  If it's MT maintenance 101 that I'm missing, please tell me.  Thanks.

ca Offline derekmac

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Little to the right...
Reply #107 on: October 19, 2013, 04:02:39 AM
My MUT is a little stiff closing the pliers, but it's still pretty new and it's starting to loosen up some.

The knife opens and closes perfectly fine though, with just the right amount of tension.

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk

00 Offline Kukamunga

Reply #108 on: October 19, 2013, 09:09:06 PM
My MUT is a little stiff closing the pliers, but it's still pretty new and it's starting to loosen up some.

The knife opens and closes perfectly fine though, with just the right amount of tension.

Appreciate that, but that's what I'm missing - "just the right amount of tension".  Either the pliers jam when used hard, then the screws are too loosey goosey to remove the pliers from whatever I'm using them for...so pliers have to be pried apart.  Yeah, 'hearing' myself talk here, perhaps they need to get sent in - primarily because I don't know how to tighten them - with THE right amount of tension.

I am using two torx bits on either side - as one or the other [of the screws] will move on me - when using only one bit to tighten.  Clearly - clearly above my pay grade.

Appreciate the response.   :cheers:

us Offline Nhoj

• No Life Club
Reply #109 on: October 19, 2013, 09:33:23 PM
Are you saying the pliers won't open while using them? If so then the removable wire cutters might be tensioned too much.

00 Offline Kukamunga

Reply #110 on: October 20, 2013, 12:47:43 AM
Are you saying the pliers won't open while using them? If so then the removable wire cutters might be tensioned too much.

Well...I hadn't thought of that.  They weren't really [tensioned too much], but I loosened a little, so we'll try that.  But yes - pliers are jamming together - almost always using the wire cutters.  Then, because the handle with knife & saw is loose enough, there's no leverage - to either get the pliers apart [without prying action], or really to be able to use the pliers reliably - as pliers.  If those torx screws are tightened at that handle - I can't find any happy medium and then plier head is getting scraped from inner part of handle and knife and saw are a bitch to get out to be able to use.

Hey - I appreciate any help because I'm not clear why I can't rectify this situation on my own.  I've tried, but perhaps the MT gods are against me.  Possibly just taking the whole thing apart and seeing if I can put it back together again.  Then that would slightly diminish my warranty - I guess.

Thfffppptt!   :P

Thanks.

fi Offline AlephZero

• Smurf smash!
Reply #111 on: October 22, 2013, 08:04:36 PM
 :ahhh :ahhh :ahhh It's here!  :mail:  :ahhh :ahhh :ahhh

Pics will follow! :D
"Hoarder of weirdness,
Always posting random things,
I'm AlephZero" :ninja:

ca Offline derekmac

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Little to the right...
Reply #112 on: October 22, 2013, 08:20:11 PM

Dear god man, the suspense is killing me! :ahhh:

fi Offline AlephZero

• Smurf smash!
Reply #113 on: October 22, 2013, 08:23:21 PM

Dear god man, the suspense is killing me! :ahhh:

:rofl:

Just a regular LM MUT, it's just I've been waiting for it for too long... :D
"Hoarder of weirdness,

fi Offline AlephZero

• Smurf smash!
Reply #114 on: October 23, 2013, 05:11:23 PM
And here are the pics...

"Hoarder of weirdness,

00 Offline Kukamunga

Reply #115 on: October 24, 2013, 01:09:46 AM
So, is this your first MUT...or a replacement or addition?  If it's your first, have you used the hammer yet??   >:D :D

fi Offline AlephZero

• Smurf smash!
Reply #116 on: October 24, 2013, 09:10:55 AM
So, is this your first MUT...or a replacement or addition?  If it's your first, have you used the hammer yet??   >:D :D

First one, and no not hammering done yet, tho I'm found myself trying to find something to use it on already :D
"Hoarder of weirdness,

pt Offline RamoN

Reply #117 on: November 06, 2013, 12:47:19 AM
Let's bring this one back to life.  Here's my baby.

Well thanks a lot for sharing that, ive been considering a mut lately and was going crazy looking at pics wondering exactly that, if a vic scissor would fit in the bit compartment  :tu:

Is it a very tight fit or they go in ok? the swisscard scissors are a bit thinner than the rest arent they?

ca Offline derekmac

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Little to the right...
Reply #118 on: November 06, 2013, 04:38:23 AM
They fit like they were made to go in there. I was really happy and surprised at just how well they fit! 

I'm not sure if they are or not, but hopefully someone else here will know.

pt Offline RamoN

Reply #119 on: November 07, 2013, 02:09:49 AM
Nice! thanks a lot. Now i just have to find a mut i can afford  :facepalm:

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99