Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Question about diamond file.

tote412 · 10 · 10162

Offline tote412

• New User
on: July 19, 2011, 10:20:29 PM
Does anyone know what grit the diamond coated file on the charge is? And if anyone has ever used the file to sharpen a knife when there was no sharpener available.

um Offline Mr. Whippy

• Global Moderator
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • North American Meetup: May13-15 2011
Re: Question about diamond file.
Reply #1 on: July 19, 2011, 10:22:52 PM
I don't know what it is, but I have a 100 grit diamond coat file and the LM file is much finer than that.  I would guess in the range of 300 grit.

I've used it to sharpen ice tools, but not a knife.

Offline tote412

• New User
Reply #2 on: July 19, 2011, 10:31:22 PM
It does feel in between the medium and fine lansky diamond files. I may have to pick a cheap knife to try it on.

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #3 on: July 19, 2011, 11:20:42 PM
I have used it to get a fair edge on a knife blade before :tu: but you may not get hair shaving results ;) :D Works in a pinch if your knife has dulled on you though :cheers:

ca Offline jekostas

• No Life Club
Reply #4 on: July 20, 2011, 12:34:23 AM
I've used the diamond file to sharpen knives and tools on site.  Works quite well - I would agree, it's between a medium and fine grit diamond sharpener.

us Offline theonew

• No Life Club
Reply #5 on: July 20, 2011, 06:26:07 AM
I'm not familiar with the Lansky hones, but I would say that it is slightly coarser than a DMT Fine (red) hone, which is 25 micron / 600 mesh. I've tried it a few times and it will definitely put a shaving sharp edge on a blade and slice like the dickens. I prefer a much finer finish on my knife edges but this does a decent job, especially with very light strokes as you finish.

us Offline genevabuck

• No Life Club
Reply #6 on: July 20, 2011, 06:47:06 PM
I have used one on a hatchet.  It works quite well.  Also, I recently saw a show on SEAL 6, that showed a SEAL using a Wave or Charge diamond file to sharpen his fighting knife in the field.  So I guess that it is designed for field work and precision filing.

Offline tote412

• New User
Reply #7 on: July 20, 2011, 07:27:49 PM
Good to know.

us Offline Donald

Reply #8 on: July 21, 2011, 02:26:11 PM
Tote412, the above replies all sound about right to me. I will add that the Leatherman diamond file makes a tremendous fingernail file. I have used it as a medium to fine file on many things that needed smoothing. It is one reason that the Leatherman Charge retains a favored spot in my multitoool lineup.

....if it only had a good awl!  :twak: ....sigh! (I hope someone inquires, "where have you been, haven't you heard about the new super Leatherman awl that the compnay now make to fit in the accessory slot?") With a good awl, the Charge would then really be a multitool.

Offline tote412

• New User
Reply #9 on: July 21, 2011, 04:07:55 PM
I agree about the awl, if only they would put a small hole in one of the accessory bits then you wouldn't need to use a slot for the eyeglass screwdriver.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD
48%