Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Blackie Collins and the Paratool

yud · 7 · 2708

us Offline yud

• No Life Club
  • Still has a SOGgy feeling
Blackie Collins and the Paratool
on: July 22, 2011, 03:50:00 AM
It did not seem right talking about Blackie Collins desging the Paratool or not on the RIP theard

I wonder what Blackie's most popular designs were  :think: :think:
Paratool is my favorite  8) 8).

Terribly sad news.
The Paratool was his?

Sad day

http://www.google.com/patents?id=nlYeAAAAEBAJ&printsec=abstract&zoom=4&dq=5062173#v=onepage&q&f=false
http://www.google.com/patents/about?id=aAIjAAAAEBAJ&dq=891,990+frazer

While I will say that Blackie Collins did redefine Tim Leatherman's idea, it is only a missing link between the PST and Paratool when one looks at the patents. 

The Paratool patent (given to Spencer Frazer) makes a few key changes.

~Most noticeably he rotated the implements another 90o from Collins
~More importantly he made the handles so they would angle out when the pliers opened

That said I am only working off the patents not the history

Just another weirdo with a beard :B:

Knight of the SOSAK and Defender of the sacred nail file

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Re: Blackie Collins and the Paratool
Reply #1 on: July 22, 2011, 04:17:07 AM
Great idea to move this to its own thread yud. :tu:

And you make some excellent observations. Who really designed the ParaTool? I don't know, but I suspect like many things it was a design that started out crude and then evolved over time, with input probably from a number of people. No doubt there were prototypes built, and feedback from "beta testers" that went into the final design. We'll probably never know the whole story. :-\ One bit of additional info I have, other than the patents you referenced, is this SOG sales catalog from the mid-1990's:

According to SOG, the credit for the ParaTool goes to the team of Blackie Collins and Spencer Frazer :salute:
In order to be certain of having the right tool for every job.........one must first acquire a lot of tools

au Offline MultiMat

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • The MTO handshake.
Reply #2 on: July 22, 2011, 09:48:35 AM

I REALLY like my Paratool's 'Blackie' sheath , especially given it has his signature on it  8) 8).
Never to be traded this one.

"Downunder Mod (that sounds dirty, doesn't it?)"
Yeh Baby :P >:D >:D

gb Offline nuphoria

• Ambidangerous Mistress of Mod
  • Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not all bad, I'm just drawn that way.
Reply #3 on: July 22, 2011, 12:16:06 PM
Yep, got that sheath too.... never use it but it seems wrong to part with it :)
A dyslexic man walks in to a bra...

All my music for free: http://soundcloud.com/chrissyvandyke

Offline Styerman

• No Life Club
Reply #4 on: July 22, 2011, 02:40:09 PM
I really loved the Paratool /sheath combo . Great concept , the two I tried were less than stellar in execution ( both failed while crimping "B" connectors , uesd on 22ga. Telco wire . )

Chris

us Offline yud

• No Life Club
  • Still has a SOGgy feeling
Reply #5 on: July 22, 2011, 06:44:27 PM
Great idea to move this to its own thread yud. :tu:

And you make some excellent observations. Who really designed the ParaTool? I don't know, but I suspect like many things it was a design that started out crude and then evolved over time, with input probably from a number of people. No doubt there were prototypes built, and feedback from "beta testers" that went into the final design. We'll probably never know the whole story. :-\ One bit of additional info I have, other than the patents you referenced, is this SOG sales catalog from the mid-1990's:

According to SOG, the credit for the ParaTool goes to the team of Blackie Collins and Spencer Frazer :salute:
good point.

The Paratool is one of those tool some love them, some hate them, and it has its own branch in the evolution of the multitool.

Was the original Blackie model ever sold? I was thinking that with out the spread of the handles the idea would not work so well.

How did they fail to crimp?

Just another weirdo with a beard :B:

Knight of the SOSAK and Defender of the sacred nail file

Offline Styerman

• No Life Club
Reply #6 on: July 22, 2011, 10:13:13 PM
The Stainless handle halves cracked ( on TWO tools ) , in the area of the plier pivot . Putting a "B" connector on Quad is not an excessive crimping chore ,we are only talking 22ga telco wire . PST's , PST II's , and waves will all do it . As will any remotley competent needlenosed piler . I only use multi's as crimpers of last resort ( when the real tool is out of reach ) .

The concept was brilliant , for my pourposes - execution sucked . If the beasts had worked , I'd still be rocking one .

Chris
« Last Edit: July 22, 2011, 10:15:38 PM by Styerman »

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69