Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Testing out the new camera.

Chako · 12 · 1412

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Armed with camera and not afraid to use it.
Testing out the new camera.
on: July 23, 2011, 08:41:51 PM
I took a nice motorcycle ride around town today, and brought the new Samsung camera out to play. A quick visit to the local canal was in order.

Well, I am pleased with the quality of the photos. I did find a few niggles though. Here they are in no significant order.

1. I need a handgrip strap. This camera is small, and with my big paws, I want to let go of it, or possibly more accurately, I feel like I am going to let go of it. Either way, I do need a handgrip. I am no fan of neck straps. They tend to get in the way.

2. This camera has an electronic viewfinder. That is ok. It doesn't beat an optical viewfinder, but then again, it does give you more info than an optical viewfinder can give you. All EVFs tend to blank out when the shot is taken. I am happy to say, the EVF flashes rather quickly. I can live with this. However, what I am not all that pleased about, is the use of a sensor that is supposed to sense your face and will automatically switch you from the back LCD to the EFV and back again. Well, with a ball cap and eyeglasses, I found myself with a camera up to my face but with no EFV activated. This annoyed me more than anything else about the camera.

3. Now let's talk about the back LCD. It is a nice bright OLED display. I am happy to say that indoors, it has a fantastic  angle of viewing. I can still see the image at an extreme angle. However, in very bright direct sunlight, everything gets overblown.  Now, the OLED beats any of my other Digital camera back displays in sunlight. However, it does get overtaken by sunlight, hence the need to use the EVF. Seeing that this is my first time out with the camera, I probably need more time to get fully acquainted.

So there you have it. So far, only minor quibbles and one major one....dang EVF sensor.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2011, 08:44:36 PM by Chako »
A little Leatherman information.

Leatherman series articles

za Offline meanx

Re: Testing out the new camera.
Reply #1 on: July 23, 2011, 10:02:02 PM
The colors looks good,nice pics,in the last pic the clouds show you've got a cold front on its way,hopefully it will bring some rain for you guys
Rest is not idleness,
and to lie sometimes on the grass under trees on a summer's day,
listening to the murmur of the water, or watching the clouds float across the sky,
is by no means a waste of time

gb Offline ryan1835

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • buh
Reply #2 on: July 23, 2011, 10:21:56 PM
you've done all this and not told us what camera it is?

im impressed by the samsung wb500 camera i bought last year  :tu:
I

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #3 on: July 23, 2011, 10:26:26 PM
Oh sorry. It is a Samsung NX 10 with 18-55mm f.3.5-5.6 OIS lens.

ph Offline edap617

• No Life Club
Reply #4 on: July 23, 2011, 10:34:36 PM
Nice pics, Chako.

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #5 on: July 23, 2011, 10:51:15 PM
Thanks. I didn't do any post processing on these. Shot in Jpeg. I haven't tried a RAW file yet.

gb Offline ryan1835

• buh
Reply #6 on: July 23, 2011, 11:03:30 PM
ooh is this one of those inter changeable lens ones?

id be interested in a full report after you have had it a while :)
I

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #7 on: July 23, 2011, 11:46:09 PM
Yes it is.

Here are some shots to show you just how small the camera is. Please forgive the horrendous photography. I took this awfully quick and didn't bother to check my aperture, hence why things are out of focus. Even blurry, they should give you an idea.

Here you see the Canon 50D with a a 50-500mm Bigma and battery grip (my birding outfit) in the background. Front row left is the Canon S5 IS, and its replacement to the right, the Samsung NX 10. Photo taken with a Pentax K10D.

another bad image...

Next up is the Samsung NX 10 next to the Pentax K10D with battery grip. In case you were wondering, I used a Canon battery charger to prop up the lens on the Pentax.

The Samsung NX 10 has a similar senor size as those found on the Canon 50D and Pentax K10D. This in a much smaller package. Seemed like a win win to me. The lens selection isn't all that great at the moment, but they do have a macro lens on tap. I can see myself buying it in the future.

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #8 on: July 24, 2011, 10:59:08 PM
Photography is all about controlling the lighting. I am very limited until I can get a proper flash for this camera. Unfortunately, Samsung doesn't seem to make a flash gun that swivels and tilts. That will be a little constraining depending upon the situation.

Anyways, here is a series of 3 photos that I converted to black and white using the camera. I am just messing around getting the measure of the new gear. 

gb Offline ryan1835

• buh
Reply #9 on: July 24, 2011, 11:12:16 PM
i thought the nx10 would be a little bit smaller then it is, interesting none the less!
I

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #10 on: July 25, 2011, 12:24:18 AM
The DSLRs are a lot larger and heavier. The NX 10 is about the same size as the Canon S5 IS. Any smaller and it would be hard to hold much like those tiny compacts that you have to pinch more than grab.

dk Offline AHB

• Keeper Of The PowerCut
  • Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Don't mistake lack of talent for genius.
Reply #11 on: July 25, 2011, 12:36:41 AM
I have no idea what you guys are talking about, but there's some
seriously nice pics in this thread..  :tu: :D

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62