Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Home made micarta question

Offline Cleanser

on: July 24, 2011, 04:57:11 AM
hello,
I made some home made micarta, and I used fiberglass resin to make it. I'm wondering if it is non toxic when dry?  A label for fiber glass resin I read online specifically stated non toxic when dry.  The stuff I bought does not state this.  I know the dust is highly toxic to breath.. but I mean holding it as a knife handle.

Thanks

us Offline ironraven

• No Life Club
  • American Clandestine Materials Executive (ACME)
Re: Home made micarta question
Reply #1 on: July 24, 2011, 10:48:37 PM
You'll be fine. Lots of things in this world are toxic, but you have to get them into you- so long as it's big enough that you can't get it in without violence, you're fine. IN the case of this, the reason the dust is considered dangerous is that any one dust inhalation can, maybe, lead to lung problems and if you make a habit of it, well, your lungs won't like you much.
"Even if it is only the handful of people I meet on the street, or in my home, I can still protect them with this one sword" Kenshin Himura

Necessity is the mother of invention. If you're not ready, it's "a mother". If you are, it's "mom".

"I love democracy" Sheev Palpatine, upon his election to Chancellor.

us Offline tattoosteve99

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #2 on: July 24, 2011, 11:44:55 PM
I would contact the place where you bought it and ask them for a MSDS sheet. It is mandatory for them to have this info available.
If I remember correctly, wait, what was I saying?

gb Offline Sparky415

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #3 on: July 24, 2011, 11:46:49 PM
And we need some pictures of what you are making with it please  :tu:

:D
Everything’s adjustable

Offline Cleanser

Reply #4 on: July 25, 2011, 01:11:15 AM
Thanks for the replies.
I am re-handling a knife and made homemade micarta with what I thought was a cool idea:

using an old flannel shirt that had a nice pattern.
I bought clear fiberglass resin - which apparently is more expensive... but it still darkened the already dark flannel shirt pattern.  Further, things just didn't come out nice (slightly uneven, small air bubbles). 

I think I'm gonna scrap the project for now, mainly due to dust.  I used a disposable face mask and tied a piece of old cloth over it and around my face. The amount and type of dust was different than I expected.  I thought it would cut something like wood, but the dust particles seemed much finer than wood.  I think I inhaled some dust despite my best efforts (maybe not, I'm super paranoid).  I thought it would be satisfying to make my own knife, but I think I'd rather spend money on buying a knife and let someone else ruin their lungs on my behalf.

us Offline tattoosteve99

Reply #5 on: July 25, 2011, 01:26:55 AM
What kind of knife was it?

Offline Cleanser

Reply #6 on: July 25, 2011, 02:46:09 AM
What kind of knife was it?

The knife blank itself still exists, its an Enzo. The pre-made micarta scales can be purchased for the knife but I wanted to customize it.  The entire knife (blade and pre-made scales) can be had for a little bit more money than fiberglass resin and a proper respirator. Because of this, I didn't want to sink too much money in the project.  For now, I'll just buy the scales that are already made. I'm sure in the not distant future I'll find another piece of cloth that I think will make cool handles and will either buy a proper respirator or let someone else do the dirty work.

us Offline tattoosteve99

Reply #7 on: July 25, 2011, 03:05:55 AM
Just an FYI. I have a respirator like that. Make sure you get the correct filter for it. They tried to sell me one that wasn't right for the job. Just read the packaging to see if its rated for asbestos and fiberglass. If it say yes then that's the right one for these projects. 

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
June Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Jun 30
Total Receipts: $139.46
PayPal Fees: $8.05
Net Balance: $131.41
Below Goal: $168.59
Site Currency: USD
44%