Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Brooklands part 1

00 Offline kirk13

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Brooklands part 1
on: July 24, 2011, 07:06:50 PM
The 2nd part of my recent holiday saw me back in London doing the tour guide thing for my folks.Its not that they havn't been here before,but a bit of local knowledge helps no end.

This year I took them on the Haj to Brooklands.For those of you who havn't heard of it,Brooklands was an oval type race track that pre dates Indianapolis by 4 or 5 years,and set the patern for all oval race tracks that followed.

The sight was shared by the aircraft manifacturing arm of Vickers,and sections of the track were demolished during WW2 to make way for runway extentions.Post WW2 the track was never reopened.Only the Members Banking remains

This is the view from the bridge over the members banking,back in the day ,cars would have been approaching at 150mph plus!

Again from the Bridge,looking on as the banking opens up into the Railway straight.Nothing the Southern Railway had could have kept up with the race cars(mind you,even today theres nothing running on SWtrains that could compete)

Not sure what these structures are,whether they were for track marshalls,or they were some form of air raid shelter from the war

This is a WW2 vintage tower for a flak gun atop of the Members Hill

If your London based,or visiting the area,make the pilgramage...its well worth it
There is no beginning,or ending,and for this we are thankful,cos now is hard enough to understand!

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62
Net Balance: $360.24
Above Goal: $60.24
Site Currency: USD
120%